U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Re: U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Post by blipson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:21 pm

OK, I gave it a try and emailed the question to Sequential support. If I had to bet, I'd say no because I figure there'd be some mention of it somewhere in their literature, but their devices only specify non-realtime bulk tuning. Here's to hoping.

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:55 pm

blipson wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 pm
Good choice. I predict you end up with both inside a year :). I also got one of these cases, which fits perfectly:

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... -Blue/33KL

https://sequenzmusicgear.com/en/product ... c-prologue

It's not cheap, but it's blue.
Ohh that looks fantastic.

I'm getting pure pre-delivery excitement over this (or is it buyer's remorse/compensation :hihi: )...really loving how alive some of the FM sounds are. Anything analog-ish also sounds great, but even the digital tones have an interesting organic quality to them.
Album "Schematic" Available Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/schem ... 1248682775

Also on Spotify!

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 am

Sequential answered me that they don't fully support MIDI Tuning Standard:

"We do not support the Real Time portions of MTS, only the Bulk Dump portions.
Best,

Andy
Sequential LLC"

so no OB-6 for me.

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 am

Should be getting my Super 6 sometime today. REALLY excited to dive in with this one there have been some absolutely amazing demos online!

Any follow up experience and/or tips to be aware of? It seems pretty intuitive to dive in (I've read the manual a couple times) but I'm looking for any info I can find!

Also on Spotify!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:09 pm

abmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 am
Should be getting my Super 6 sometime today. REALLY excited to dive in with this one there have been some absolutely amazing demos online!

Any follow up experience and/or tips to be aware of? It seems pretty intuitive to dive in (I've read the manual a couple times) but I'm looking for any info I can find!
for true monophonic (non-panned) only use the left output. the loopop covers a lot of ground.
TOO FAR GONE

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:09 pm
abmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 am

for true monophonic (non-panned) only use the left output. the loopop covers a lot of ground.
Yeah that's a really fantastic overview. First impressions are great! The new drift feature in the latest firmware really imparts some extra mojo, but I've had a near impossible time making a patch that wasn't sounding lovely and ready to get dropped into a project. The LR phase trick with LFO1 is really cool IMO and a lot more than just a pan spread feature. For soundscape design, it really adds some interest!

Also played it for a good few hours last night without even seeing the time go by.

Also on Spotify!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm

yeah its really awesome. the sound is warm and the filter is crispy. the interface is super inviting.
TOO FAR GONE

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 pm

What do you think, does the UDO Super-6 add something to my current (techno production) setup? I have a Roland JX-8P, MKS-50, MKS-7, Prophet Rev2, Moog S37, Roland D-550 and an Access Virus TI.

and what about overlap? can I sell some synths when buying the UDO?

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 pm

esmeets wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 pm
What do you think, does the UDO Super-6 add something to my current (techno production) setup? I have a Roland JX-8P, MKS-50, MKS-7, Prophet Rev2, Moog S37, Roland D-550 and an Access Virus TI.

sell? well, it dependes of how picky you are about the different sounds you get out of those synths
I´ll be OK selling the MKS50... the rest could add some differente flavors...the 8P is silkyer, the rev2 more brassy/buzzy, the D-550 glassier, the Ti...mmm... well, it have wavetables and a strong VA flavor... I don´t know...

If I´d have to keep just 3 I think the moog, rev2 and UDO could be a good team

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:15 am

the super 6 and TI sound great together imo. not to mention the fact that the TI is 16 part multitimberal with an unlimited amount of polyphony and laser tight midi.
TOO FAR GONE

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 pm
esmeets wrote:

sell? well, it dependes of how picky you are about the different sounds you get out of those synths
I´ll be OK selling the MKS50... the rest could add some differente flavors...the 8P is silkyer, the rev2 more brassy/buzzy, the D-550 glassier, the Ti...mmm... well, it have wavetables and a strong VA flavor... I don´t know...

If I´d have to keep just 3 I think the moog, rev2 and UDO could be a good team
Thanks and what about the MKS-7 (Juno 106). Can the UDO create 106 like patches?

joeboy
Common Wiggler

Post by joeboy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 am

I dunno if it's been explained elsewhere in the last 15 pages, but the guy in the first video said using FPGAs for the oscs lets him avoid aliasing. What's that all about? I guess I still don't really understand what a FPGA is compared to normal chips.

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:21 am

esmeets wrote:

I used to have a Prophet 08 (not identical but somewhat close to Rev2) ​and M37 but unfortunately can't speak to your other gear. It's only been a few days experience for me but the Super 6 definitely has a fantastic sound made better by its interface. There's a "whole greater than the sum of its parts" type thing going on and something I've only experienced on a few instruments.

Is it a silver bullet synth that does everything? Probably not, but I don't know if any synth can. You may see some overlap with your gear, but I think the binaural feature and lovely filter could bring a lot to the table. Latest firmware adds oscillator drift as well. It'd definitely complement your Rev2 nicely!

Also on Spotify!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:17 pm

esmeets wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 am

Thanks and what about the MKS-7 (Juno 106). Can the UDO create 106 like patches?
I missed it!
I think the 106 has no chance against the UDO

just check this thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=244972

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm

joeboy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 am
I dunno if it's been explained elsewhere in the last 15 pages, but the guy in the first video said using FPGAs for the oscs lets him avoid aliasing. What's that all about? I guess I still don't really understand what a FPGA is compared to normal chips.
for a simple explanation, it runs at a MUCH higher clock (Megahertz instead of Kilohertz) no chance of reflected frequencies into the audio range since it´s way over it

in this kind of synths FPGA is like creating a (digital) hardware circuit that can be configured via software, instead of software running into a DSP chip

joeboy
Common Wiggler

Post by joeboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:53 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm
joeboy wrote:
for a simple explanation, it runs at a MUCH higher clock (Megahertz instead of Kilohertz) no chance of reflected frequencies into the audio range since it´s way over it

in this kind of synths FPGA is like creating a (digital) hardware circuit that can be configured via software, instead of software running into a DSP chip
Are there not really any DSP chips that run with ridiculously high sample rates, so it just made more sense to roll a solution in a FPGA instead?

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:49 am

joeboy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:53 pm
anselmi wrote:
joeboy wrote:

Are there not really any DSP chips that run with ridiculously high sample rates, so it just made more sense to roll a solution in a FPGA instead?
Maybe there is but more expensive... I´m guessing here

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

I think the chips that sequential used for the prophet 12 did as well. Don't know the details

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Is a desktop version in the works? I'd consider it.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 am

joeboy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:53 pm
anselmi wrote:
joeboy wrote:

Not in the Mhz range no. Most likely run up to 96k, but no higher than that.
grizzleb wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am
I think the chips that sequential used for the prophet 12 did as well. Don't know the details
The Prophet 12 used Sharc DSPs, don't think these go higher than 96k.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProtoAlf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:13 am

Anyone who owns both an OB-6 and Super 6 care to weigh in -
I currently own a Subsequent 37 & MS-20 FS and want to add a Poly to the mix.
I can only afford / only have the space for 1.
I think the Super 6 is really interesting and appreciate that it’s trying to push beyond the typical analog paradigm.I think you can push it into interesting territory no often explored as well as cover the basics.
I also really love the OB-6 character. It’s just so instantly ear catching and beautiful / gnarly but can also sometimes get a little too vintage for my tastes and will always sound like an OB-6.
For context I make modern-ish techno but I try to get keep that analog grit & growl all over it. I own an analog heat, Sherman filterbank, erica synths acidbox etc to give sounds a touch of bite. I also use softsynths.
I’ve watched as many vids as I can to assess which core character I appreciate more. I think it might be the OB-6? Maybe there aren’t enough Super 6 vids taking it to characterful places?
My question is to people that have owned / used both enough to have an opinion, considering my setup would it be silly for me to get the OB-6 over the Super 6?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:13 am
Anyone who owns both an OB-6 and Super 6 care to weigh in -
i have both and they compliment each other well but if i had to choose only one for your set-up or my own i would go with the super 6. as amazing as the ob-6 there is some redundancy to it. that redundancy is also its charm but i feel the super 6 has more variety and character. either way cant lose.

if you like modern techno maybe consider something that has wavetables, FM and a cold digital side thats more embraced and celebrated. a few that come to mind: waldorf iridium, asm hydrasynth, access virus TI, modor nf-1, and maybe even one of korgs latest digital offerings.
TOO FAR GONE

ProtoAlf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProtoAlf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 pm

Thats really interesting to hear. Appreciate you getting back to me thanks!

I actually use native Wavetable & Operator from Ableton and find that with the built in Cytomic Filters they're sufficient for Wavetable & FM sounds. They're so underrated, so fast to use and I personally think they sound amazing. I'm trying to play to strengths - so I keep all the digital synthesis in the PC and throw down cash on hardware that has some analog components or something very unique going on.

In all the demos I've listened to the OB-6 for-better-or-worse oozes character, and interestingly I wouldn't necessarily call the Super 6 particularly characterful, but that could be some kind of nostalgia bias happening?

How would you describe the Super 6's character? Can you point me to any demos where you can really hear it shining through?

I understand that its a more modern and versatile synth and I really want to fall in love with it but there is something that sounds so instantly gratifying about the OB-6 demos - which I understand is its downfall .. inability to escape its character.

Can the Super 6 get as growly / gritty as the OB-6? Can the OB-6 escape vintage territory in your opinion?

Sorry for all the questions but you're in the unique position to actually know so I thought I'd ask :)

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:26 am

ProtoAlf wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 pm
In all the demos I've listened to the OB-6 for-better-or-worse oozes character, and interestingly I wouldn't necessarily call the Super 6 particularly characterful, but that could be some kind of nostalgia bias happening?
im not really nostalgic for anything so no bias here.
ProtoAlf wrote:
How would you describe the Super 6's character?
to me the super 6 is very lush and juicy and sits well in any mix. the ob-6 can be kind of overbearing by comparison. the CEM filter is its biggest strength but also makes everything sound the same and is why i wouldn’t want it to be my only poly.
ProtoAlf wrote:
Can you point me to any demos where you can really hear it shining through?

ProtoAlf wrote:
Can the Super 6 get as growly / gritty as the OB-6? Can the OB-6 escape vintage territory in your opinion?
i dont really use the super 6 for growly or gritty sounds but i think the ob-6 edges it out in that department. it can escape vintage territory once you use it in a modern context. the built in effects are really cool and its event clocks sync to midi without any issues - probably the best ive ever seen in that department.

im not trying to convince you to get one over the other. these are just my opinions. you seem set on the ob-6 so you should pull the trigger. the first preset patch (and many others) will make you think you’re the next john carpenter. its a beast on bass and is definitely a top shelf instrument.
TOO FAR GONE

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:19 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:26 am
you seem set on the ob-6
I think he's set on both and should pull the triggers accordingly. Shoot first and ask questions later.

Return to “General Gear”