U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Post by anselmi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 am
the build quality is on par with the cirklon. the sound, UI and user experience is absolutely outstanding.
great!
I was waiting for your comments since I'm usually aligned with your opinions :tu:
and the cirklon is a good standard to measure build quality, now I´m more interested

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 am

anselmi wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 am
great!
I was waiting for your comments since I'm usually aligned with your opinions :tu:
and the cirklon is a good standard to measure build quality, now I´m more interested
im still getting acquainted but so far im way impressed. i prefer sliders to knobs for most things so im already a little addicted to programming it. ive heard people say it lacks in the bass department but i have to disagree entirely. ive made a stack of bass patches i cant wait to hit with a sequencer.
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 am
anselmi wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 am
great!
im still getting acquainted but so far im way impressed. i prefer sliders to knobs for most things so im already a little addicted to programming it. ive heard people say it lacks in the bass department but i have to disagree entirely. ive made a stack of bass patches i cant wait to hit with a sequencer.
interesting ... I don´t heard such opinions about bass in this synth, but most videos avoid this territory and I really wondered if it´s capable of good bass sounds
anyway, I´ll be happy to listening to some examples of this sequenced basses if you will.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 pm

👽
TOO FAR GONE

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Ugh I hate to be this person but I have to ask...this or the Polybrute?

I have a Prophet~10/Hydrasynth so I feel like a lot of bases are covered with analog poly sounds--I also realize these are both amazing instruments and am being spoiled. The PB has modulation for days plus a more differentiated filter set, but the S6 seems to have a special mojo to it, sounds plenty different from the Prophet/Hydra, and will probably remain harder to get down the line whereas the PB should be easy to find once the initial hype levels out.
Album "Schematic" Available Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/schem ... 1248682775

Also on Spotify!

Drmdmamd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Drmdmamd » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:47 pm

IfI had to choose between the two I would defogger for the Super 6. The interface looks stellar!
For whatever reason the poly brute has never really seemed very interesting to me.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm

abmusic wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:57 pm
being an owner im pretty partial to the super 6. any praise it receives is deserved. not sure what it is but it really has some magic to it imo. historically, ive never been a fan of arturia hardware so its never been on my radar. it looks impressive though.
TOO FAR GONE

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:31 pm

All I can say is, I've had my Super 6 since last September, and I weighed it against the Polybrute then and continued to weigh up through the Polybrute's release: I still stay with Super 6 and won't bother with Polybrute, no question about it. I usually end up with both, then keep them until I decide, but I'm not inspired to do that this time. I've been out of the honeymoon/novelty phase with the Super 6 for some time---and I do like the Polybrute---but not enough in comparison.

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm
abmusic wrote:
being an owner im pretty partial to the super 6. any praise it receives is deserved. not sure what it is but it really has some magic to it imo. historically, ive never been a fan of arturia hardware so its never been on my radar. it looks impressive though.
Yeeaaaah, this is pretty much where I'm at. I could see myself caving down the line and getting the PB regardless because I'm sick in the head and its feature set really is astounding for an analog poly, but hopefully in 6-8 months they'll be easier to find and maybe even some used/open box. The boutique-nature of the S6 seems like a "plenty will get made, but get it while you can".

Leaning towards blue :sb:
blipson wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:31 pm
All I can say is, I've had my Super 6 since last September, and I weighed it against the Polybrute then and continued to weigh up through the Polybrute's release: I still stay with Super 6 and won't bother with Polybrute, no question about it. I usually end up with both, then keep them until I decide, but I'm not inspired to do that this time. I've been out of the honeymoon/novelty phase with the Super 6 for some time---and I do like the Polybrute---but not enough in comparison.
Thanks! The ability to sound Roland-ish (from what I've read others say), plus the expanded waveforms offered by the oscillators are really interesting for me. Was a little worried about having only one analog poly, but the S6 seems to work in both worlds equally well and would be very different from my P10 and Hydrasynth. Also, I've burned myself in the past buying something simply because it ticked boxes vs. getting what simply felt/sounded right to me personally.

Also on Spotify!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:21 pm

abmusic wrote:

I have a Prophet~10/Hydrasynth so I feel like a lot of bases are covered with analog poly sounds--I also realize these are both amazing instruments and am being spoiled. The PB has modulation for days plus a more differentiated filter set, but the S6 seems to have a special mojo to it, sounds plenty different from the Prophet/Hydra, and will probably remain harder to get down the line whereas the PB should be easy to find once the initial hype levels out.
I found the PB harsh sounding in almost all demos, while the S6 sounds gorgeous in all of them
I never heard them in the flesh, so for me it´s just the demos, but when a synth sounds great or bad in all of them I have to follow this logic
Since you have both analog and digital poly duties pretty well covered I think the S6 with its different palette to both the P10 and the Hydra could be a good synth to add
The Matriarch also could be interesting with the paraphonic mode and the modular connectivity. Even if you are not into modular it´s a very powerful set of "modules" that can do a lot
It´s not a real poly but I think that the paraphonic mode is a great value and you can do all the things that are impossible in a classic poly, like different waveforms/tuning for the oscillators and stuff like this

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:33 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:21 pm
I found the PB harsh sounding in almost all demos
Me, too. Maybe I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'm just not impressed enough with the sound. I'm confident I could get it to sound good enough, with the morphing and all, but given all the desktop modules I have to complement my one flagship poly, I'm just not moved in the least. I could also put it this way: if all I had was a Super 6, PB would be in my top 3 to purchase for a 1-year trial, then no regrets on the charge I'd take if I decided to sell it off.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:58 pm

blipson wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:33 pm
anselmi wrote:
Me, too. Maybe I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'm just not impressed enough with the sound. I'm confident I could get it to sound good enough, with the morphing and all, but given all the desktop modules I have to complement my one flagship poly, I'm just not moved in the least. I could also put it this way: if all I had was a Super 6, PB would be in my top 3 to purchase for a 1-year trial, then no regrets on the charge I'd take if I decided to sell it off.
id get an OB-6 over a Polybrute without hesitation
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:58 pm
blipson wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:33 pm
anselmi wrote:
id get an OB-6 over a Polybrute without hesitation
me too
or the Prophet-6... with this new "vintage" knob upgrade I think it sounds terrific

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:04 am

If we're going Sequential, I wouldn't mind a Prophet X.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 am

even though the polybrute is packed with cool features when i start going down that road id rather get something in the digital realm (iridium, prophet x, virus ti, mod-x, etc).
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:00 am

anselmi wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:39 pm
me too
or the Prophet-6... with this new "vintage" knob upgrade I think it sounds terrific
i think the ob-6 has the vintage OS upgrade too
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 am

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:00 am
anselmi wrote:
me too
and if you really wanted to blow the doors off you can get the low frequency expander by yorick tech for the OB-6 and Prophet-6

B8063EF2-6C43-45F0-9471-4631FF58502F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:01 am

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 am
even though the polybrute is packed with cool features when i start going down that road id rather get something in the digital realm (iridium, prophet x, virus ti, mod-x, etc).
Prophet X not entirely digital, it have the beautiful-sounding SSI2144 filters designed by Dave Rossum. Same filters on the Super 6 btw. Love the way they they sounds in both synths.
I'm still hoping for a Pro-X synth, a Pro-3-ish format Prophet X with 4 voices and this filters, but Dave Smith found a new niche re-animating the old glories, so I think this would be just a dream

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:56 am

anselmi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:01 am
Prophet X not entirely digital, it have the beautiful-sounding SSI2144 filters designed by Dave Rossum. Same filters on the Super 6 btw. Love the way they they sounds in both synths.
I'm still hoping for a Pro-X synth, a Pro-3-ish format Prophet X with 4 voices and this filters, but Dave Smith found a new niche re-animating the old glories, so I think this would be just a dream
not entirely digital, but digital enough and where it counts imo. hopefully dave smith will re-animate the prophet vs with a modern day facelift.
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 am

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:56 am
hopefully dave smith will re-animate the prophet vs with a modern day facelift.
well, Dave has been using the VS concept since the birth of DSI with the Evolver, so I think it's not crazy to think that it will do it in the future, following the zombie vintage synth trend. If the OBX rumours will be confirmed I thin there is a high probability that he make the VS too.

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:51 pm

anselmi wrote:
abmusic wrote:

I found the PB harsh sounding in almost all demos, while the S6 sounds gorgeous in all of them
I never heard them in the flesh, so for me it´s just the demos, but when a synth sounds great or bad in all of them I have to follow this logic
Since you have both analog and digital poly duties pretty well covered I think the S6 with its different palette to both the P10 and the Hydra could be a good synth to add
The Matriarch also could be interesting with the paraphonic mode and the modular connectivity. Even if you are not into modular it´s a very powerful set of "modules" that can do a lot
It´s not a real poly but I think that the paraphonic mode is a great value and you can do all the things that are impossible in a classic poly, like different waveforms/tuning for the oscillators and stuff like this
Thanks! I went with the S6 :guinness:

After reading the manual, listening to demos, and hearing people on forums really touting its "Magic" I caved. I was worried it might be limited in terms of modulation like the P10, but as I dove into the manual it really looks quite flexible if you want it to be--though obviously not as robust as the Polybrute. I'm also spoiled by the Prophet 10 interface so having more 1:1 knob/button/pusher functionality really appeals to me.

Also on Spotify!

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Good choice. I predict you end up with both inside a year :). I also got one of these cases, which fits perfectly:

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... -Blue/33KL

https://sequenzmusicgear.com/en/product ... c-prologue

It's not cheap, but it's blue.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 am
anselmi wrote:
me too
and if you really wanted to blow the doors off you can get the low frequency expander by yorick tech for the OB-6 and Prophet-6

Whoa, I didn't know about that expander. OB-6 has been at the top of my list for sound quality that I can't get otherwise, but I've always passed, mostly due to the lack of contemporary features. I just watched GEOsynths' demo, and it really raises the cost and bulk of the OB-6, but now I'd totally go for them both if I could get clarity on one issue. Sequential's recently added MPE features, which I understand are not actually full-throttle, but still a very attractive addition, as I have a PAT keyboard. My issue, though, is microtunings. I've liked for a long time how Sequential provides all those microtunings; it's no small thing, but these days I really need a device that can accept MIDI Tuning Standard sysex's for realtime tuning per key. The only synth I know of that supports MTS is Waldorf Kyra, and I've got one. Kyra makes a great utility player due to all the multitimbrality and polyphony, and I like the sound well enough, I guess, but I like my other stuff more. If I could get an OB-6, though, with expanded LFO plus full tuning support, I'm on it in a second. To that end, I've asked at Sequential about MTS support, but I get no answer:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/ ... 185.0.html

Does anyone here know?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:29 pm

i own neither (but both are on the radar) so i cant help ya there pal.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:56 pm

blipson wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 pm
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 am
anselmi wrote:
me too

Whoa, I didn't know about that expander. OB-6 has been at the top of my list for sound quality that I can't get otherwise, but I've always passed, mostly due to the lack of contemporary features. I just watched GEOsynths' demo, and it really raises the cost and bulk of the OB-6, but now I'd totally go for them both if I could get clarity on one issue. Sequential's recently added MPE features, which I understand are not actually full-throttle, but still a very attractive addition, as I have a PAT keyboard. My issue, though, is microtunings. I've liked for a long time how Sequential provides all those microtunings; it's no small thing, but these days I really need a device that can accept MIDI Tuning Standard sysex's for realtime tuning per key. The only synth I know of that supports MTS is Waldorf Kyra, and I've got one. Kyra makes a great utility player due to all the multitimbrality and polyphony, and I like the sound well enough, I guess, but I like my other stuff more. If I could get an OB-6, though, with expanded LFO plus full tuning support, I'm on it in a second. To that end, I've asked at Sequential about MTS support, but I get no answer:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/ ... 185.0.html

Does anyone here know?
I think you are likely to getting a quicker reply from sSequential by asking them directly rather than asking the forum. DTS is implemented on their synths to enable the alternate tunings so my guess is yes but can't be certain.

Return to “General Gear”