Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Isla Instruments S2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Isla Instruments S2400

Post by behndy »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:54 pm .... You popped in right at the golden hour. if you were going to miss out on the preorder pricing which ended August a year ago, then the best time to order it really was yesterday.
already felt like that, just got a shipped notification and that it should be here Wednesday. EXTRA golden!

slice of fried gold INDEED!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

boooooof. mines just got in. she is a THICC slice of chunky goodness!

this week is crazy butts at my shop, probably won't have any time to dive in till this weekend, but i have four days to jiggle around with it. feels solid as butts even unplugged tapping around on it. i am SUPER excited to run around with it.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Congrats! Yeah it's a solid device with some idiosyncrasies, and some kinks still being worked out. More cool features are coming!
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/
XcaracallaX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XcaracallaX »

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here. I scanned through but didn't hit all 16 pages of the thread. I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything more like, aggro with the S2400.I'm looking to do more industrial-ish stuff and already have an OT, etc, but I really love the big chunky looks of the 2400. I know Skinny Puppy used a 1200 pretty early on but all of the demos I hear are heavy hip-hop or EDM on the mellower end of things. Anybody have any sounds of the 2400 being mean?
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Im sure you can get as nasty as you want with it, like most
Samplers with individual outs. Also theres onboard bitcrushing combined with the sp1200 pitch-shift aliasing, which creates a kind of digital distortion.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

There are a few I don't know if they're posting in here though. I do occasionally encounter some on the FB page but most are boom bap though there are a couple of junglists and house enthusiasts in the mix. Funny enough one of my friends took his S2400 over to cEvin's house and he mucked about with the S2400 for the entire day. He was really impressed with it.

aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

XcaracallaX wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 am Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here. I scanned through but didn't hit all 16 pages of the thread. I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything more like, aggro with the S2400.I'm looking to do more industrial-ish stuff and already have an OT, etc, but I really love the big chunky looks of the 2400. I know Skinny Puppy used a 1200 pretty early on but all of the demos I hear are heavy hip-hop or EDM on the mellower end of things. Anybody have any sounds of the 2400 being mean?
There's not any quick way to get nasty on the s2400 (short of sampling already treated sound) - there's no bit crush setting or inbuilt distortion so you have to get creative with slices and the re-sampling option (there's only 2 sample rates btw). Pitch shifting using the granulation amount is another option, as is time stretching. Back in the day most people wanted samplers to be hi-fi but with maybe a bit of character (input pre-amps/analog filters, for example) and this is the paradigm that Isla have chosen to use. I'm sure you can get skronky but it'll take a bit of time.

I guess you could clip the sample inputs but on a $1400 machine I'm not trying....
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG »

I’m still not clear how midi only sequencing works. I’ve watched a couple videos but it looks rudimentary at best. Even compared to an mmt8
martino_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martino_ »

Midi sequencing is rudimentary and simple in an effective way and works well - apart from some bugs (hanging ghost midi notes) and limitations (no pitch bend, no ability to have different track lengths for different instruments) which hopefully will addressed soon

What aren’t you clear on?
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG »

Is it basically record and edit like an mc500 or early Yamaha?
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

aquifer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:39 am
XcaracallaX wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 am Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here. I scanned through but didn't hit all 16 pages of the thread. I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything more like, aggro with the S2400.I'm looking to do more industrial-ish stuff and already have an OT, etc, but I really love the big chunky looks of the 2400. I know Skinny Puppy used a 1200 pretty early on but all of the demos I hear are heavy hip-hop or EDM on the mellower end of things. Anybody have any sounds of the 2400 being mean?
There's not any quick way to get nasty on the s2400 (short of sampling already treated sound) - there's no bit crush setting or inbuilt distortion so you have to get creative with slices and the re-sampling option (there's only 2 sample rates btw).
In HiFi mode, you can drop the bit rate for each sample channel from 16 all the way down to 1-2 bits -- don't recall exactly where the floor was, but it's low enough to get *real* gnarly.
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

tdel wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:09 am
There's not any quick way to get nasty on the s2400 (short of sampling already treated sound) - there's no bit crush setting or inbuilt distortion so you have to get creative with slices and the re-sampling option (there's only 2 sample rates btw).
In HiFi mode, you can drop the bit rate for each sample channel from 16 all the way down to 1-2 bits -- don't recall exactly where the floor was, but it's low enough to get *real* gnarly.
Fantastic - I'll be experimenting with that later today. 10 hours on the S2400 and I missed the bit reduction lol.
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

aquifer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:47 am
tdel wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:09 am
Fantastic - I'll be experimenting with that later today. 10 hours on the S2400 and I missed the bit reduction lol.
Just hold Shift and press the pad in question and it'll pop up the relevant menu!
XcaracallaX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XcaracallaX »

Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on one so let's see how gnarly it can get. If I'm able to come up with anything cool when it arrives I'll post a link.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

There's going to be some update information next next Thursday. (pushed back a week)

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:24 pm There's going to be some update information next next Thursday. (pushed back a week)
Where did you hear/read this?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I'm on the beta testing team so usually we know about this a little before hand. In this case he posted it on GS and then I checked in a few days later and he told me we needed some more testing and it would likely be another week. He's now updated the GS post as well.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Siiiiiick
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

:sb: :goo: :party:

pix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pix »

question about stereo samples. Do you have to sequence L/R tracks separately, or is it possible to "slave" one track to another so both L/R samples are processed/sequenced similarly?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

New OS coming this Thursday 2/24/2022, Live Stream 3:45 EDT

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

It seems like based on the livestream etc this will be a major update. I have no idea what could be coming and am really excited. This machine is already incredible and so much fun to use.

My hope is that this means some simple effects are coming in.... my biggest complaint is not having simple eq to go along with the filters to cut low end in samples and stuff like that while still being able to use the filters more creatively. It is not a big deal since I dont use it live at all and just do it in the box after but it would be fun to get things going further ITB.
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

tigerhill wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:03 am It seems like based on the livestream etc this will be a major update. I have no idea what could be coming and am really excited. This machine is already incredible and so much fun to use.

My hope is that this means some simple effects are coming in.... my biggest complaint is not having simple eq to go along with the filters to cut low end in samples and stuff like that while still being able to use the filters more creatively. It is not a big deal since I dont use it live at all and just do it in the box after but it would be fun to get things going further ITB.

Not for me personally. I just want more available voices, and more live loops.
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

maybe LFOs ?
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

More voices would be great.

I'd also really like a side chain compressor where I could sidechain one channel with another. Probably wishful thinking though.

Return to “General Gear”