Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Isla Instruments S2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Re: Isla Instruments S2400

Post by syzygywell »

The truth is I just don't know. The next batch has probably docked by now but I have no further information. There is a glut of orders from the first week of Oct 2020 when Brad announced he really truly was raising the preorder price this time. Some people with early Oct orders already have theirs as they did not order cases as unfortunately all the cases were sent in the second shipment so people with orders from August w/case are still waiting. But I think everything up to March 2021, including those with cases, should be filled sometime in the next 3-4 weeks. They managed to get 500 units out in 3 weeks from this last shipment.

What I don't know is if this next order contains every bit of inventory up to this point or if there is indeed a 3rd shipment out there at sea. If that is the case and there is a 3rd shipment, then the chances of it being on it's way here are quite good, and the estimate of 3-4 months from today's date is probably inaccurate just due to not having been updated. It would be more like 2 - 2.5 months.

If it is worth it to you to get it now and if you are avoiding tax and shipping then $1750 is a rock solid price imo.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Here is an update on the latest shipment, the container has actually been sitting waiting to be devanned for over a month. It's cleared customs but the shortage of drivers to move cargo containers has been the hold up. Hopefully the next shipment will be with Isla in a week or so. It's been an incredibly frustrating process for everyone.

In the meantime there is a new update that will coming with the machines that includes some large UI enhancements with feedback information, time stretch, pitch stretch, bit reduction, metronome on count it, and L & R selection for sampling (which is useful if you are sampling from a record that has some panning going on).
|

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:30 pm Here is an update on the latest shipment, the container has actually been sitting waiting to be devanned for over a month. It's cleared customs but the shortage of drivers to move cargo containers has been the hold up. Hopefully the next shipment will be with Isla in a week or so. It's been an incredibly frustrating process for everyone.

In the meantime there is a new update that will coming with the machines that includes some large UI enhancements with feedback information, time stretch, pitch stretch, bit reduction, metronome on count it, and L & R selection for sampling (which is useful if you are sampling from a record that has some panning going on).
|
I really love the new time stretching and pitch calculations... really change the workflow very much for the better. Great update and love seeing this constant progress. I honestly have had so much fun and made a few tracks with it before any of this stuff so it just shows you can do a lot with less.
Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum »

How do you all like the file management system? I like to custom organize my sample folders. It looks like the main focus is saving projects and kits, are you able to save individual samples as well? I like to mix and match my kits and samples.

Also how's the file naming feel? Seems like the cell phone style makes for a lot of key presses while naming things. I like to do all file management on my samplers, not on the computer. A lot of what I've seen have people doing file mgmt on the computer and then transferring the SD card.
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Datum wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 pm How do you all like the file management system? I like to custom organize my sample folders. It looks like the main focus is saving projects and kits, are you able to save individual samples as well? I like to mix and match my kits and samples.

Also how's the file naming feel? Seems like the cell phone style makes for a lot of key presses while naming things. I like to do all file management on my samplers, not on the computer. A lot of what I've seen have people doing file mgmt on the computer and then transferring the SD card.
You can make the file management any way you want - the samples get saved into the projects so you can reorganize your sample library easily and not worry about moving them around. I use folders and stuff and it works fine no issues. It has SD card and you can move and edit files easily on the computer just to get organized better.

Naming is a little annoying but it isn't as bad as a cell phone. The number keys jump you to points in the alphabet and then the jog wheel scrolls through. You can actually get pretty damn fast at it.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I save all my files into specified folders and then they get consolidated by project. I also have a special folder for Turntable/record samples that I capture live because those are far less polished and I might want to chop them up differently for different projects. So it's just where I capture the initial take. I don't mind using the S2400 interface to name files or folders, however it would be nice to have a way to attach a kb to it for those that don't. Mine is permanently connected via USB so MSC mode is just very easy for me to use to change something to the files or obviously update the machine.

BTW new units finally arrived after sitting in the Miami port in the container for over a month. They are short on drivers to get shipping containers moved and devanned. So the next group of 700 or so units should be going out over the next 3-4 weeks.

aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

I've ordered and paid for an S2400. The odd thing is that I've received no acknowledgment of the order from Isla, and as yet no response from them via a Support enquiry asking for confirmation. I'm ok with the wait for the actual unit, but I find it strange that there's been no response on the order....
Has anyone else ordered/bought in the last couple of weeks? Is it a website glitch or something? Weird.
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 »

hi there,

can you please open a ticket with ISLA, Rob will then take a direct look at it, thanks
aquifer wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:06 pm I've ordered and paid for an S2400. The odd thing is that I've received no acknowledgment of the order from Isla, and as yet no response from them via a Support enquiry asking for confirmation. I'm ok with the wait for the actual unit, but I find it strange that there's been no response on the order....
Has anyone else ordered/bought in the last couple of weeks? Is it a website glitch or something? Weird.
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

av500 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 pm hi there,

can you please open a ticket with ISLA, Rob will then take a direct look at it, thanks
aquifer wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:06 pm I've ordered and paid for an S2400. The odd thing is that I've received no acknowledgment of the order from Isla, and as yet no response from them via a Support enquiry asking for confirmation. I'm ok with the wait for the actual unit, but I find it strange that there's been no response on the order....
Have already, but I'll try again - cheers.
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 »

PM me your email address
aquifer wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:12 pm
av500 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:51 pm hi there,

Have already, but I'll try again - cheers.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

That is weird. When you pay for the Unit you should get a confirmation email. Did you check your spam folder in your email? I believe you have to create a login when you order off the site what does your order say? That should show you whether you have an order registered under your name but definitely AV500 will get you sorted. If you just ordered you should be in the batch that is arriving shortly from China. In fact its docked stateside now so it's only a matter of time.

fredguy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fredguy »

FWIW I recently ordered and payed for one and got an order confirmation email within minutes of placing the order.
"I drink gin, and once, when drinking gin, I made a large man cry." Bill Murray
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

Thanks for the replies - the problem was with my email provider and not anything from Isla. Support from them had been 100% all along. :oops:
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

yeppers. i just ordered one, got a confirmation in seconds.

sooooo excited. been going back and forth on one. so much want, just kept remembering at bad times for cash flow. but in stock? ret to ship within a couple weeks?

yes PLEASE.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Good move since they are going up $250 today. Contrats! The new shipment is already at headquarters so I expect shipments will be going out this week. And as far as I know the whole 500 aren't spoken for so I would expect all units to be out before Christmas though they may get bogged down in the holiday shipping slog.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

yesssssss! i hope so! after reading through a bunch of this thread, would make me feel like an entitled little princess to get one without all fhe wait y'all have gone through.

looks like a fun BEAST, then these two vids made me wiggggly about the interactive pitch/filter/stuttering of loops -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

The wait was frustrating but part of the fun, chatting and speculating with everyone else. Waiting and hoping got me through a chunk of the early pandemic days looking forward to my unit showing up. I got my first one in the first batch in December a year ago and then my second one arrived in August. The OS has really matured quite a bit since the July update that added midi tracks and USB audio. You popped in right at the golden hour. if you were going to miss out on the preorder pricing which ended August a year ago, then the best time to order it really was yesterday.

It doesn't do what some of my other samplers do but it's the only sampler I actually enjoy working with currently.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:54 pm The wait was frustrating but part of the fun, chatting and speculating with everyone else. Waiting and hoping got me through a chunk of the early pandemic days looking forward to my unit showing up. I got my first one in the first batch in December a year ago and then my second one arrived in August. The OS has really matured quite a bit since the July update that added midi tracks and USB audio. You popped in right at the golden hour. if you were going to miss out on the preorder pricing which ended August a year ago, then the best time to order it really was yesterday.

It doesn't do what some of my other samplers do but it's the only sampler I actually enjoy working with currently.
I agree - it doesn't do everything but is so fun and immediate to work with. Very easy to load things up/chop and get an idea together. I have it set up away from my computer and I just use it separately until it is time to track. Regarding improvements to the OS, beyond all the bug fixes and in addition to USB audio, the time stretch and pitch shift/tempo calculators are game-changers for getting your samples in tempo. I love that it has the analog outputs but practically speaking I don't use them and multi-tracking my songs live via USB has been awesome. Basically can structure your songs in one take and then edit to your heart's content. Also, I have been using the "classic" algorithm most of the time which is unique to this sampler (or the OG SP/plugins) since it adds so much nice aliasing and grit.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

tigerhill wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm I agree - it doesn't do everything but is so fun and immediate to work with. Very easy to load things up/chop and get an idea together. I have it set up away from my computer and I just use it separately until it is time to track. Regarding improvements to the OS, beyond all the bug fixes and in addition to USB audio, the time stretch and pitch shift/tempo calculators are game-changers for getting your samples in tempo. I love that it has the analog outputs but practically speaking I don't use them and multi-tracking my songs live via USB has been awesome. Basically can structure your songs in one take and then edit to your heart's content. Also, I have been using the "classic" algorithm most of the time which is unique to this sampler (or the OG SP/plugins) since it adds so much nice aliasing and grit.
Yeah I didn't even mention the time stretch which was huge for me too. I really hadn't planned on using USB primarily, I have my first unit set up both ways (8 outs and USB) for testing beta firmware and my second unit set up as USB audio only and on the production firmware. I was just hugely impressed with the USB audio, stunned really, that it became my preferred way of using it. I feel ridiculous saying this but it's almost slightly crunchier in the mids/upper mids over USB. And I laugh at how fucking stupid that sounds, I felt crazy saying it out loud to one of the other beta testers when I asked him if he was having the same experience I was. He confirmed he was.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 pm
tigerhill wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm I agree - it doesn't do everything but is so fun and immediate to work with. Very easy to load things up/chop and get an idea together. I have it set up away from my computer and I just use it separately until it is time to track. Regarding improvements to the OS, beyond all the bug fixes and in addition to USB audio, the time stretch and pitch shift/tempo calculators are game-changers for getting your samples in tempo. I love that it has the analog outputs but practically speaking I don't use them and multi-tracking my songs live via USB has been awesome. Basically can structure your songs in one take and then edit to your heart's content. Also, I have been using the "classic" algorithm most of the time which is unique to this sampler (or the OG SP/plugins) since it adds so much nice aliasing and grit.
Yeah I didn't even mention the time stretch which was huge for me too. I really hadn't planned on using USB primarily, I have my first unit set up both ways (8 outs and USB) for testing beta firmware and my second unit set up as USB audio only and on the production firmware. I was just hugely impressed with the USB audio, stunned really, that it became my preferred way of using it. I feel ridiculous saying this but it's almost slightly crunchier in the mids/upper mids over USB. And I laugh at how fucking stupid that sounds, I felt crazy saying it out loud to one of the other beta testers when I asked him if he was having the same experience I was. He confirmed he was.
To be honest I can't tell you - I got a patchbay setup to track all 8 outputs but because it was a little cumbersome to set up the routing each time I hardly tracked anything until USB audio came out :despair:. If you tell me the high/mids are better you have just enabled my laziness haha I was considering trying audio again for the "analog" in select cases.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

yeah using the filter on channel 1 & 2 is the way to use those outs so that you get the analog filter effect. Otherwise I say use the USB audio for ease. I use both as part of my aggregate devices so it's just easier overall than having 8 inputs used.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 pm yeah using the filter on channel 1 & 2 is the way to use those outs so that you get the analog filter effect. Otherwise I say use the USB audio for ease. I use both as part of my aggregate devices so it's just easier overall than having 8 inputs used.
Out of curiosity what material have you found to be worthwhile running through the filters?
Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum »

I saw the manual states that the 8 individual outputs are balanced. Can anyone confirm that the mix outs are also balanced? I have one inbound with this current shipment and want to know if I should be using TRS or TS cables on the mix outs.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

The Mix Outs are Pseudo Balanced just like the 8 channel outs.

Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum »

Thanks! Very excited for the S2400.

Return to “General Gear”