Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Isla Instruments S2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Isla Instruments S2400

Post by tdel »

Transistor wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:24 am
That said, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger for no decent reason other than sentiment for such a nice looking, made-with-love machine -- that, and maybe a sense of having not yet found my killer niche in it. Anyone care to talk me off the ledge, or

What was the main reason to get it in the first place? And is there a hybrid workflow with Live that stills gives you what you were after?

I’ve only had mine for a month now, mainly interested in the sound but open to sequencing on it. The latter I haven’t fully clicked with yet but I’m still learning it. In any case, my muscle memory is deeply rooted in my MPC. And I now did the sample track mapping thing between MPC and S2400 which has given me best of both worlds to choose from. I can still program my beats on the MPC with the S2400 sound engine and as a bonus I can still also use the S2400 sequencing to record fader moves and parameter changes. Loving that so far! Anyway, food for thought that it doesn’t need to be either or :)
Mainly got it because I was seeking a fun, relatively immediate groovebox sort of device that I could use for supplementing my overall rhythm sections with some OTB engagement. I was productive with a Rytm for a good while pre-covid, but sold it to pursue a more ambient-based setup at that time; but I was never keen on the Rytm's analog engines or overall sound quality -- mainly its sequencer. Last year I gave Octatrack a go but didn't gel as much with it -- just a lot more device than I needed.

An s2400 popped up around the time I was considering parting with the OT, so I let curiosity give it a go. Part of the appeal was the individual outs, but I frequently find that I'm content just using a stereo out. Usually with the hardware box I'm making loops to squash and reprocess later in Ableton.

The sound is definitely stellar, though. Perhaps I should have a crack at sequencing it externally...
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

tdel wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:17 pm The sound is definitely stellar, though. Perhaps I should have a crack at sequencing it externally...
There is a lot of fun to be had doing it either way in my experience. I generally make it the master device but sometimes I switch it around.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Brad is running a deal until August 21st, S2400s will be $1499 and the first 100 preordered get a free case which is an AWESOME case by the way.

Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

syzygywell wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:49 am Brad is running a deal until August 21st, S2400s will be $1499 and the first 100 preordered get a free case which is an AWESOME case by the way.
Has anyone seen when these are expected to be delivered?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I've not seen a projected date but I imagine the preorders have to go through before a build happens. So it's going to be a few months at least.

ETA: Brad just posted a video about this preorder but had no definitive date on when shipment would occur HOWEVER he did give a nod to having news about new things we will have to actually stick inside our units. I'm hoping this is daughter card info.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

Happyanimal wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:35 pm
syzygywell wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:49 am Brad is running a deal until August 21st, S2400s will be $1499 and the first 100 preordered get a free case which is an AWESOME case by the way.
Has anyone seen when these are expected to be delivered?
The website says "We expect to fulfill these orders in November 2022."

I'm really tempted. I just bought a new car and I'm kind of broke right now, but I could sell a few pieces I'm not using to finance this.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I would do it especially if it comes with the case. That is really like getting an extra $220 towards the purchase. I bought two and swung the second using affirm and just paid it off as quickly as possible over 3 - 4 months.

metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

never mind
Last edited by metamorphmuses on Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

Just placed my order. They did not charge me for shipping? Does anyone know how it will be handled?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

When I ordered mine I was charged a 35 dollar flat rate that was part of the entire bill however I'm in the US. Outside of the US might be figured out some other way. Also congrats!

wminor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wminor »

Screw it... I'm in. I keep coming back to this machine and then talking myself out of it. Only way this is going to end is I need to get hold of one and try it out and see if it's for me. Will be my Christmas present to myself :)
fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:55 am When I ordered mine I was charged a 35 dollar flat rate that was part of the entire bill however I'm in the US. Outside of the US might be figured out some other way. Also congrats!
Thank you. I've been searching for a sampler for a while now, mostly to lay beats on but also something that could lend itself to experiment. I've been considering many models, including recent MPCs, Digitakt, SP-404. MPCs seem too DAW-ey for me, and Digitakt too Elektron-ey (already have an MD and MnM and it's not my favorite workflow). I'm really looking for something as simple as my old Zoom Sampletrak but more robust and with better sound.

I know there's an ongoing discussion about adding internal effects, which is cool and all, but has anyone suggested taking advantage of the inputs and outputs to implement a send/return system? For instance, using outputs 7&8 as sends and inputs 3&4 as returns? Then add a send level parameter for each track and a couple global parameters for return level and set send pre/post fader. That would be relatively simple to implement, with very little CPU overhead, and would allow one to use external FX box or pedals.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

There is a thread on how to do some workarounds with this.

https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/fea ... ts/5325/18

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

Thanks. I guess I'll have to go back to that post once I get the 2400. It's not a big deal: the separate outputs can be routed to whatever effects I have via patchbays.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Brad did say in his video that there may be some forthcoming news about new things to put into the S2400. I'm hoping that it will be an update about the 8x analog filters and possibly an effects daughter card.

aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

I'd rather see a couple of LFO's per voice appear before anything else.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I'd like 2 LFOs as well.

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

While we are wishing for things, I really want a compressor per track that is sidechainable with another track.
HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame »

I absolutely love the s2400. It is built like a tank and is the best sounding modern sampler, even the digital filters on it are some of the best I have heard. And the workflow is simple but powerful at the same time. But it really needs a few tweaks. One thing I am constantly missing is an an easy way to resample. I have a lot of external gear I always want to resample through and there is no easy way to do it (there is sort of a looper workaround, but it sounds like a pain). Oh, and a way to play multiple pads simultaneously or something similar so I can stack kick drums or whatever would be my other wish (but then I would need to resample them down to one pad lol).
robleighton22
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robleighton22 »

Yeah agree with those comments. Being able to resample or even just record midi or anything with the sequencer playing. Looper doesn't count, I just want to press record and trigger my midi seqeunce and record in stereo! It's prob my only major feature requiremenet. Also I'm getting repeatable bugs with gain track settings changing audibly back to 0db after being boosted.

Absolutely my favourite machines despite a few shortcomings.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Have you reported the bugs to the forum? Mickey is pretty active in there.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

So there is a new development in the form of a floppy drive that can extract sample, sequence and song data from the sp1200 disks. It will connect directly to the unit and not require a computer to act as intermediary. ISLA is hoping to make it work with Akai S950 disks as well.

Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

syzygywell wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:34 pm So there is a new development in the form of a floppy drive that can extract sample, sequence and song data from the sp1200 disks. It will connect directly to the unit and not require a computer to act as intermediary. ISLA is hoping to make it work with Akai S950 disks as well.

Wow, this is amazing. For someone like me who likes to do as much as possible in my sp1200, this will allow me to extend the project into the s2400 and continue building it using the increased sample time & other doo-dads once I max out the arrangement on the 1200.... I REALLY like the continued development/support ethos of Isla. Its so special for a music instrument company to actually take development advice frm their (even potential) users! Just when I was considering selling it off they introduce this feature. Game changer for me
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Yeah I'd hang on to it there is more coming down the line I think. Covid and supply chain issues have really put a halt to a lot of development potential. I think it'll get there but it's taking longer than anyone wants it to.

Return to “General Gear”