Isla Instruments S2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

beatwilson
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Isla Instruments S2400

Post by beatwilson »

I just pulled the trigger yesterday on this guy. Same idea about slaving it to an Mpc, but in my case the X. I will also be using the S900 in conjunction with it.

I know people talk about this before, but how are peoples workflows with the new mpc live and the s2400? Just curious.
Toronto_Synthaddict
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toronto_Synthaddict »

Illwiggle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:38 pm Older MPCs arent really character samplers except maybe the 60/60ii. Ive had the 3000, 3000LE, 2000,
2000xl (currently), 4000.... in the Akai line the characterful ones are s900/950, but they dont have a sequencer built in. With the older MPC’s its all about having a good workflow, and accessible options for sequencing your entire studio of gear all from one box. To me the 2000xl hit the pinnacle of the mpc workflow; elaborate options but not overly feature packed. The 2500 seems dope but way too many options for me.... it sounds good though, a bit fuller than the 2000xl, a but more like the 3000. I have an s2400, but havent used it yet so I cant comment on it yet! Haha
This is great to know, thanks... I really would love an S-950, but they don't seem to come up for sale here often. I use the RX950 plugin a lot and love it for ITB stuff.

It seems the sonics of the 16-bit+ MPCs are seriously overhyped... Did you notice a big difference from switching from the 3000 to a 2000xl?

More than any perceived sonic differences between MPCs... I am interested about the reported difference between MIDI timing over the years. I would also be using an MPC as a central sequencer tying together the MIDI component of my studio.

Really curious how the sequencer on the s2400 compares, both from a UI and "groove" standpoint... would love to hear your thoughts after comparing the two?
robleighton22
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robleighton22 »

Had an MPC live and a Force in the past. And other MPCs. The Isla 2400 def has a great groove and sound. It grooves like a piece of hardware should. That said I still like the MPCs swing as well. I don't think it's necessarily that either is much better, others mat say otherwise. All I know is that the Isla sounds warmer and definitely colours the sound. The newer MPCs also sound good but not in a fuzzy analog sort of way. Workflow wise, the Isla is very different. Despite some added features I personally find it beautifully simple. The added features are stuff you stumble upon later they don't interrupt the core workflow, unlike my experience of Deluges added featureset. If they stopped adding features I prob wouldn't mind, it does its core stuff perfectly and I use it for it's sound processing/colour prob more than its sequencing capabilities. MPC Live on the other hand needed it's feature updates more because it felt so limited on release. I think that is down to the hardware interface and OS. As a result it's a bit more like navigating a computer. Whereas the Isla feels a lot more like navigating a sampler/drum machine.

The step sequencer is basic at the moment, but does the job. Those buttons are not the best for that particular task, fine for mute and solo. but don't get why ppl get so wound up, they are still pretty easy to work with.

Really hope they add the daughter to bring 8 analog filters and/or an FX DSP. That would a good again make this a very high quality tool, but that being said I would say it's still a high quality tool without these things.
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Toronto_Synthaddict wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:27 pm
Illwiggle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:38 pm Older MPCs arent really character samplers except maybe the 60/60ii. Ive had the 3000, 3000LE, 2000,
2000xl (currently), 4000.... in the Akai line the characterful ones are s900/950, but they dont have a sequencer built in. With the older MPC’s its all about having a good workflow, and accessible options for sequencing your entire studio of gear all from one box. To me the 2000xl hit the pinnacle of the mpc workflow; elaborate options but not overly feature packed. The 2500 seems dope but way too many options for me.... it sounds good though, a bit fuller than the 2000xl, a but more like the 3000. I have an s2400, but havent used it yet so I cant comment on it yet! Haha
This is great to know, thanks... I really would love an S-950, but they don't seem to come up for sale here often. I use the RX950 plugin a lot and love it for ITB stuff.

It seems the sonics of the 16-bit+ MPCs are seriously overhyped... Did you notice a big difference from switching from the 3000 to a 2000xl?

More than any perceived sonic differences between MPCs... I am interested about the reported difference between MIDI timing over the years. I would also be using an MPC as a central sequencer tying together the MIDI component of my studio.

Really curious how the sequencer on the s2400 compares, both from a UI and "groove" standpoint... would love to hear your thoughts after comparing the two?
Yeah I would say the sonic differences between the 16 bit mpc’s are overhyped. Any differences can be rectified on the outboard/recording side of things. I can say though that the 2000xl is the ‘thinnest’ sounding mpc Ive heard, and Im inclined to layer my samples in it, especially drums. But its no kind of dramatic “whoa that sounds so thin” thing, its subtle and only really noticed in comparison to other machines. I also like to EQ my samples via mixer as Im sampling them, to compensate a bit, also just to get shit sounding just how I want right off the bat.

Timing wise, I think the 3000 may be a little bit tighter. At the time I had em I was only working with samples, so cant attest to external MIDI timing of things, but its got a solid reputation of being perfect for that. The way you trim samples on the 3000 is numerical which means you’re using your ears rather than eyes, which means that the timing of things will vary depending on how you hear things, where you choose to chop your start point, same on the sp1200, other older samplers, and that affects the timing of things quite a bit. Im sure the 2000xl will be fine for being the central MIDI hub for your rig, if it doesnt work out get a 3000. I dont suggest the 3000 out the gate because they cost quite a bit more than the 2000xl which has a much quicker workflow, and I dont think the price difference is representative of the value you’d be getting by spending more on the 3000. Unless you’re super attracted to the 3000, then its probably the box for you ;)
modtech
Common Wiggler

Post by modtech »

what postal service does Isla use for shipping? is it USPS?
HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame »

I just ordered one last week and it is coming to me via UPS. Isla shipped it the same day I ordered, but I just got a tracking update from UPS saying 'We were unable to dispatch the trailer on time. This may cause a delay.' Oh, 2022.
modtech
Common Wiggler

Post by modtech »

thank you, good to know!
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

No S2400s for a year or more but dozens of vintage synths going up for sale in the meantime.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Just a quick update, Brad has announced he has to stop building S2400s for about a year after this batch is gone (There are about 60 units left). It's just too hard to source chips and shipping freight is outrageous at the moment.

It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 am Just a quick update, Brad has announced he has to stop building S2400s for about a year after this batch is gone (There are about 60 units left). It's just too hard to source chips and shipping freight is outrageous at the moment.

Was hoping for daughter board announcement :doh:
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Yeah this whole thing has been a really big bummer for a lot of businesses. He did say he still is working out some things on the hardware of the S2400 and of course the hope is that the audio board and daughter card could be part of that. One of the primary sourcing issues is a component for the USB/Audio I believe.
Last edited by syzygywell on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Yea it’s all good because after all it’s the GAS acting up!
chiasticon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chiasticon »

syzygywell wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 am Brad has announced he has to stop building S2400s for about a year after this batch is gone (There are about 60 units left). It's just too hard to source chips
I saw on IG yesterday it looked like it was down to about 16 units. which are likely gone now or very soon will be.

my concern: they can't get parts to build the thing. what if I had an issue? and given how young the device is, that is a possibility. hopefully they saved a bunch of spares...
beatwilson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beatwilson »

I asked him about this in the past and he said they had a ton of spare parts at the time. I think that was a month or so ago. I also know Jazzcat is one of his repair guys, and I actually trust that guy with gear. I seen what he does, and I trust it should be fine. Mine is on its way.
modtech
Common Wiggler

Post by modtech »

had to grab one, didn't expect them to sell the remaining stock so fast..
beatwilson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beatwilson »

good call.
lebowski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lebowski »

I have mountains of parts, and nothing in the S2400 is exotic.
It's only the main microcontroller (STM32) that we can't get right now, and that's only temporary.
Nothing to be worried about.
Brad
Toronto_Synthaddict
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toronto_Synthaddict »

Illwiggle wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Yeah I would say the sonic differences between the 16 bit mpc’s are overhyped. Any differences can be rectified on the outboard/recording side of things. I can say though that the 2000xl is the ‘thinnest’ sounding mpc Ive heard, and Im inclined to layer my samples in it, especially drums. But its no kind of dramatic “whoa that sounds so thin” thing, its subtle and only really noticed in comparison to other machines. I also like to EQ my samples via mixer as Im sampling them, to compensate a bit, also just to get shit sounding just how I want right off the bat.

Timing wise, I think the 3000 may be a little bit tighter. At the time I had em I was only working with samples, so cant attest to external MIDI timing of things, but its got a solid reputation of being perfect for that. The way you trim samples on the 3000 is numerical which means you’re using your ears rather than eyes, which means that the timing of things will vary depending on how you hear things, where you choose to chop your start point, same on the sp1200, other older samplers, and that affects the timing of things quite a bit. I'm sure the 2000xl will be fine for being the central MIDI hub for your rig, if it doesnt work out get a 3000. I dont suggest the 3000 out the gate because they cost quite a bit more than the 2000xl which has a much quicker workflow, and I dont think the price difference is representative of the value you’d be getting by spending more on the 3000. Unless you’re super attracted to the 3000, then its probably the box for you ;)
This is extremely helpful- thanks man... Much appreciated!

I recently picked up a Mirage, which is really great for character/lofi sampling... But I really would like to transfer the sounds into something like an MPC (or S2400) with a better sequencer- especially for live work.
Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

Got here well over a week ago and finally had time to sit down a few hours with the manual next to it. My muscle memory has been tuned to MPCs for a few decades so RTFM was really needed to wrap my brain around a few of the modes and order of some of the workflow. But holy hell, this thing is awesome. Back when I switched from a MPC2kxl to a MPC2500 sounds of my samples got noticeably thinner and I just carried on by compensating with processing in the DAW. No more, this thing is putting some major mojo into my samples! Very inspiring, I’m smitten.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

chiasticon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:44 am
syzygywell wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 am Brad has announced he has to stop building S2400s for about a year after this batch is gone (There are about 60 units left). It's just too hard to source chips
I saw on IG yesterday it looked like it was down to about 16 units. which are likely gone now or very soon will be.

my concern: they can't get parts to build the thing. what if I had an issue? and given how young the device is, that is a possibility. hopefully they saved a bunch of spares...
The issue is the parts that have to do with chips for USB audio out and the main processor are in short supply right now everywhere, for example we can't get docking stations at work for our laptops because they have to rebuild the docking stations without audio out capabilities. But I wouldn't worry about repairs being a problem due to a shortage of parts. In fact Brad has another short run of 20 units that he was able to source. He said he expected the chip shortage to hopefully be resolved within a year so that builds could continue. The hiatus is temporary.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

syzygywell wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:01 am
chiasticon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:44 am

The issue is the parts that have to do with chips for USB audio out and the main processor are in short supply right now everywhere, for example we can't get docking stations at work for our laptops because they have to rebuild the docking stations without audio out capabilities. But I wouldn't worry about repairs being a problem due to a shortage of parts. In fact Brad has another short run of 20 units that he was able to source. He said he expected the chip shortage to hopefully be resolved within a year so that builds could continue. The hiatus is temporary.
lebowski wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:00 pm I have mountains of parts, and nothing in the S2400 is exotic.
It's only the main microcontroller (STM32) that we can't get right now, and that's only temporary.
Nothing to be worried about.
Brad
i believe that is Brad from Isla. he's always been super transparent and honest about anything going on, so i would take him at his word.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum »

For those of you with S2400s, how are you using it with your modular?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

I have my modular set up to receive midi and convert it to CV so I use it that way primarily, though I have sent clock out to my sequencer in the modular.

tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

Debating selling my s2400 in order to reinvest in a proper field recording setup, which is something I have the bug for. I enjoy the machine, but after 7 months it hasn't been a big game changer for me personally. For loops, breaks, and riffs I find myself preferring just to keep it in Ableton, and as a groovebox for one-shot samples I *really* do miss independent loop lengths. I think a cheap used Digitakt would cover most of what I desire in an OTB groovebox, frankly.

That said, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger for no decent reason other than sentiment for such a nice looking, made-with-love machine -- that, and maybe a sense of having not yet found my killer niche in it. Anyone care to talk me off the ledge, or maybe just over it already?
Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

tdel wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:09 am Debating selling my s2400 in order to reinvest in a proper field recording setup, which is something I have the bug for. I enjoy the machine, but after 7 months it hasn't been a big game changer for me personally. For loops, breaks, and riffs I find myself preferring just to keep it in Ableton, and as a groovebox for one-shot samples I *really* do miss independent loop lengths. I think a cheap used Digitakt would cover most of what I desire in an OTB groovebox, frankly.

That said, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger for no decent reason other than sentiment for such a nice looking, made-with-love machine -- that, and maybe a sense of having not yet found my killer niche in it. Anyone care to talk me off the ledge, or maybe just over it already?
What was the main reason to get it in the first place? And is there a hybrid workflow with Live that stills gives you what you were after?

I’ve only had mine for a month now, mainly interested in the sound but open to sequencing on it. The latter I haven’t fully clicked with yet but I’m still learning it. In any case, my muscle memory is deeply rooted in my MPC. And I now did the sample track mapping thing between MPC and S2400 which has given me best of both worlds to choose from. I can still program my beats on the MPC with the S2400 sound engine and as a bonus I can still also use the S2400 sequencing to record fader moves and parameter changes. Loving that so far! Anyway, food for thought that it doesn’t need to be either or :)

Return to “General Gear”