Isla Instruments S2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Re: Isla Instruments S2400

Post by tigerhill »

Love all these possibilities. Voices, LFOs, side chain! I would take any or all of those🙏🏽.

I haven’t used the looper much I gotta try it more.
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

I hope they dont make the s2400 overly elaborate & complicated. Its supposed to be inspired by the sp1200, which is essentially simplicity
tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

Illwiggle wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:40 am I hope they dont make the s2400 overly elaborate & complicated. Its supposed to be inspired by the sp1200, which is essentially simplicity
What is encouraging so far is that none of the new features changed the simple current workflow so if you didnt want to use any of them it wouldnt change how you do the basics. I think if that stays true it wont matter how much they add. You could just ignore it. Its not like on elektron boxes where because of the depth, to do the basics you need to go deep... know what I mean?
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

This is correct. There is an effort to keep the main functionality and workflow at the top level and opt out of features. And there are constant recommendations to eliminate extra steps so that functions remain one or two steps away. That isn't always possible but there is a effort made towards that outcome.

I really think that any effects we may see in the future are likely to be done with an extra card. I could be wrong but that is how development has seemed to be going thus far to me.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

16 voices!
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Anyone on the fence use code LIVESTREAM for $200 off until midnight tonight.
Last edited by syzygywell on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

anselmi wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:03 pm16 voices!
Incredible and BOUNCING in the machine! In hindsight I should have guessed it given the build up to the announcement.

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:
maxl0rd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by maxl0rd »

Pretty awesome update.

Double polyphony plus bouncing means you can go much further with just the 2400.
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

and increased pitch range
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

Yeah I’m happy. It’s much more capable for ITB song writing with 16 voices. Also each voice is no longer tied to one output. You can assign whatever voice you want to whatever output, much more flexible.
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi »

it seems that ISLA people took SOS criticism really serious
Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 23-28-14 Isla Instruments S2400.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Actually Rory Dow aka Rozzer has been a beta tester and doing QA for quite a while (he wrote the review). Both of these limitations were decided on early to follow the SP1200 as well as save the CPU. Once many of the other features that were cpu intensive were implemented (Brad had said for quite a while ago he'd like greater polyphony to be an option) Vlad set about seeing if he could squeeze 8 more voices out of the chip while not compromising other functions as Mickey discussed in the Live stream. The machine isn't always being taxed during certain functions but it has to function under the maximum load and not choke.
Last edited by syzygywell on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

I’m so late to the party, watched several videos over the last few days and omg what an awesome machine. Pretty sure my MPC’s sampling days are soon to be retired. Wow
syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

It's easily the most fun I've had with a sampler. It's not perfect, it doesn't do everything. My biggest want was an akai S950 time stretching algorithm. It ended up with the same algorithm as the polyend tracker with some additional tweaks which is quite excellent. Everything else is just cake.

FYI the 200 off has been extended to Sunday evening. Just use coupon code LIVESTREAM at checkout.

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell »

Not mentioned in the update but definitely worth mentioning is that whatever is coming in the inputs is also baked into the bounce. So you can send your synths into the inputs and record them to a pad in stereo.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill »

If anyone was on the fence about this they just announced they are suspending production of the s2400 for at least a year. A few units left for sale...
Toronto_Synthaddict
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toronto_Synthaddict »

Does anyone here have one of these and an older akai 12-bit sampler/ MPC?

If so... are you keeping both?

Wondering if there is any sonic justification to using an older "character sampler" over the 2400...
HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame »

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I have an akai s6000, but it doesn't really do the lofi thing and I am really interested in a more playable sampler.

I can’t think of any modern samplers with the build quality and sound quality of this one, are there any others I am not aware of?
trainspotter
Common Wiggler

Post by trainspotter »

Toronto_Synthaddict wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:03 pm Does anyone here have one of these and an older akai 12-bit sampler/ MPC?

Wondering if there is any sonic justification to using an older "character sampler" over the 2400...
i have quite a few older samplers and triggering them with the s2400.
the s2400 updates are very nice addition and i hope they build fx board or something of the likes .

i find still good reason to keep the old samplers for their sound and characteristics.
the s2400 is very fast workflow
Toronto_Synthaddict
Learning to Wiggle

trainspotter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:29 pm
Toronto_Synthaddict wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:03 pm Does anyone here have one of these and an older akai 12-bit sampler/ MPC?

i have quite a few older samplers and triggering them with the s2400.
the s2400 updates are very nice addition and i hope they build fx board or something of the likes .

i find still good reason to keep the old samplers for their sound and characteristics.
the s2400 is very fast workflow
Interesting- it sounds like overall you prefer the UI/workflow of the 2400 but the sonics of the older samplers?
trainspotter
Common Wiggler

Post by trainspotter »

yes, the updates s2400 are so impressive so further down the line i might consider selling off some of the oldies.( i do have serious 12-bit addiction ).

the s2400 is a truly lovely machine at first i when i received it i was not enjoying the workflow ( which i boil down to my user novice use and not familiar with navigation ) after a few nights it just clicked and its a absolute joy to work with.

I recommend the device for anyone wanting a 12-bit sound with modern gui interface, and as stated in latest Instagram at the time i believe I heard 60 units left and they will stop producing them for sometime so if your interested i say buy now figure out later.
Toronto_Synthaddict
Learning to Wiggle

trainspotter wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:23 pm yes, the updates s2400 are so impressive so further down the line i might consider selling off some of the oldies.( i do have serious 12-bit addiction ).

the s2400 is a truly lovely machine at first i when i received it i was not enjoying the workflow ( which i boil down to my user novice use and not familiar with navigation ) after a few nights it just clicked and its a absolute joy to work with.

I recommend the device for anyone wanting a 12-bit sound with modern gui interface, and as stated in latest Instagram at the time i believe I heard 60 units left and they will stop producing them for sometime so if your interested i say buy now figure out later.
Good to hear... I think I'm about to pickup a local Mirage for my first hardware character sampler... might have to grab a 2400 too before they are all gone.

If you have an older MPC- how does this compare? Really would be between the two for me, a real SP is out of reach.
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Older MPCs arent really character samplers except maybe the 60/60ii. Ive had the 3000, 3000LE, 2000,
2000xl (currently), 4000.... in the Akai line the characterful ones are s900/950, but they dont have a sequencer built in. With the older MPC’s its all about having a good workflow, and accessible options for sequencing your entire studio of gear all from one box. To me the 2000xl hit the pinnacle of the mpc workflow; elaborate options but not overly feature packed. The 2500 seems dope but way too many options for me.... it sounds good though, a bit fuller than the 2000xl, a but more like the 3000. I have an s2400, but havent used it yet so I cant comment on it yet! Haha
HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame »

Illwiggle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:38 pm Older MPCs arent really character samplers except maybe the 60/60ii. Ive had the 3000, 3000LE, 2000,
2000xl (currently), 4000.... in the Akai line the characterful ones are s900/950, but they dont have a sequencer built in. With the older MPC’s its all about having a good workflow, and accessible options for sequencing your entire studio of gear all from one box. To me the 2000xl hit the pinnacle of the mpc workflow; elaborate options but not overly feature packed. The 2500 seems dope but way too many options for me.... it sounds good though, a bit fuller than the 2000xl, a but more like the 3000. I have an s2400, but havent used it yet so I cant comment on it yet! Haha
Thanks for this info, very interesting. I wish there was a book like 'history of samplers: how did they sound and how were they used in the studio' or something :-).
Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

This won the short-list battle with the Super 6 and 2600 m for funds, just placed my order and super excited to dig in! Going to try slaving it to my MPC2500 so I can keep sequencing my synths from there. My preconception for the moment is full external sequencing of synth voices is not part of the workflow I’d like to keep but I’m looking forward to keep an open mind and try that out. Can’t wait! :party:

Return to “General Gear”