Crave - $199 Synth from Behringer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

spukhaft
Common Wiggler

Re: Crave - $199 Synth from Behringer

Post by spukhaft » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Ah, one more thing.

The arpeggiator is cool, but if you are synced to any external clock, it will not play unless the external source is playing. So if you want to stop what you are working on, and just experiment with the Crave, you will need to set it back to internal clock.
"It is not recommended to use these alternate modes if you plan to let Tony Rolando come play with your system."

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 am

Hey guys,

can anybody confirm my idea, that I could send other oscillators into crave´s filter and set the VCA mode to on in order to use only the filter together with other modules in my rack? Cause that would still be a pretty cheap ladder filter and a lot of other functions as "bonus" :mrgreen:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 am

JuliusRe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 am
Hey guys,

can anybody confirm my idea, that I could send other oscillators into crave´s filter and set the VCA mode to on in order to use only the filter together with other modules in my rack? Cause that would still be a pretty cheap ladder filter and a lot of other functions as "bonus" :mrgreen:
yes
just plug your other oscillators into the external in jack and use the mix knob to balance this signal with the internal oscillator. You lost the noise this way, but if you still need noise together with the internal and external oscillators you can use the vc mix. Put the external oscillator into mix 1, noise output into mix 2, then mix out to external in and you have all 3 sources with 2 mix controls (one even with CV)

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu May 07, 2020 4:06 am

double post...
Last edited by anselmi on Mon May 18, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Thu May 07, 2020 4:55 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 am
JuliusRe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 am
Hey guys,

yes
just plug your other oscillators into the external in jack and use the mix knob to balance this signal with the internal oscillator. You lost the noise this way, but if you still need noise together with the internal and external oscillators you can use the vc mix. Put the external oscillator into mix 1, noise output into mix 2, then mix out to external in and you have all 3 sources with 2 mix controls (one even with CV)
Thanks a lot, thats what i thought of :)

calli
Learning to Wiggle

I put my Crave into a Modular Case...

Post by calli » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 am

Hello,

I just finished a project which took me some months from design, to build modules, two variants holding the modules, to this "retro" style Case.

You can see the evolutiuon in this album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7dKgZ94mP2Hdqx2Q6

Cheers and wiggle,
Carsten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darkside
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darkside » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:51 pm

So yeah - I got myself one of those Crave bastardz last month and it's all good! For this price the thing is built well and sounds just massive. I haven't done a lot of experiments on cross-breeding it with my euro stuff just yet, but as my mom said: "Be careful with your crossbreeding or you may end up with house full of little killer robots!" It's so much fun, when a persone not knowing a thing about synths makes the best jokes out of them! Anyway: Behringer Crave =hell yeah!!!

Soundbrigade
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Soundbrigade » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 pm

I know that Behringer trigger some people but when I check their list of products at Swedish (British??) webshop Thomann, that for us, that haven't got that big resources, their stuff is a bargain.
When I finally to get a Crave myself it was because I wanted something that started to make noise the moment I plugged it in and yet more important to have something that can communicate through the MIDI-cahnnels (though I will NEVER learn how MIDI works :despair: ) and I have something that can send various voltages to my Anushri as I just had the drum-stuff to work in that one.
So for the $166 this one has made a huge difference for me.

As already mentioned, the documentation is a bit like a build instruction for a model locomotive kit - "start with parts 1 and 2 and continue in the order that makes most sense".
There are great YT intros and instructions but shouldn't Behringer give full instructions? :roll:

Anyway, for anyone interested in synthesizers and stuff, I think that a budget synth like Crave is a gift from above.
Due to economical cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has to be switched off.

/Magnus

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Soundbrigade wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 pm
I know that Behringer trigger some people but when I check their list of products at Swedish (British??) webshop Thomann
German.

Soundbrigade
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Soundbrigade » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:30 pm

OK, lets say European (at least until 31 Dec).

My Anushri which more or less can do what Crave can do was €240 and I think my SoundLab Mk2 (w/o MIDI, sequencer ...) will end up in that area.
Due to economical cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has to be switched off.

/Magnus

paperCUT
Ultra Wiggler

Re: I put my Crave into a Modular Case...

Post by paperCUT » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:05 am

calli wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 am
Hello,

I just finished a project which took me some months from design, to build modules, two variants holding the modules, to this "retro" style Case.

You can see the evolutiuon in this album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7dKgZ94mP2Hdqx2Q6

Cheers and wiggle,
Carsten
That is really awesome!

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 pm

I just ordered mine yesterday, and a RD6, and oddly enough, have been told I might be waiting until May to receive mine. Is what it is. But I’m glad most of you all seem happy with it. I ordered some Hungry Robot Modular Slew & Sample/Hold pedals to flex it out some more. Might decide on a Model D/Pro 1/Nuetron or Cat to go with it as the next big purchase.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Output, Slew, Sample &
Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer RD6, TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai
Miniak, S20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Headphones73 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 pm
I just ordered mine yesterday, and a RD6, and oddly enough, have been told I might be waiting until May to receive mine. Is what it is. But I’m glad most of you all seem happy with it. I ordered some Hungry Robot Modular Slew & Sample/Hold pedals to flex it out some more. Might decide on a Model D/Pro 1/Nuetron or Cat to go with it as the next big purchase.
Although the oscillators are technically the same, the crave and neutron really complete each others. If your goal is to melt the crave with another synth then this is the one to have for sure.

Katherine Alicia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Katherine Alicia » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Chopper wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:00 pm
Headphones73 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 pm
Although the oscillators are technically the same, the crave and neutron really complete each others. If your goal is to melt the crave with another synth then this is the one to have for sure.
100%

I`v put mine with the Pro1, K2 and the Neutron, if I had to chose only one though it would be the Neutron.
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:31 am

Since I might be waiting until May to see my Crave, I picked up a Sonicsmith Modulator A1 to tide me over. Sure it’s not a bunch of patch points, but I had a feeling that these were going going gone. So I used the last of my tax return to order it from eBay.

I still have more money coming, but I’m definitely going to get my Moogerfoogers back from the pawn shop. (Mf102/104). The Sonicsmith could go straight into the Foogers, yet I can use the Crave to sequence the A1.

If I can squeeze in a Nuetron then it’s definitely on the list. And I’m not in any hurry to get a modular case.
Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer RD6, TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:18 pm

I don’t know why I’m STILL waiting for my ordered Crave, but at least my RD6 is arriving. It’ll keep me occupied until my Crave decides to arrive.

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Update: It’s finally shipped! Can’t wait to sit down with it.

Return to “General Gear”