Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 am
OrganismicLifeform wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 am
Does anyone know a shop in the UK that currently has them in stock? I've looked everywhere but starting to think the containers are stuck in the Suez Canal...

I think you pretty much have to order from SOMA and get on the waiting list. They do randomly send them stores every once in a while, but those just fill preorders. I don't think you will ever just find one for sale you can buy without waiting.

When I ordered a month ago from soma they said the wait was 4 months at most.
Juno has the Lyra8 in stock which is where I bought mine from. I’d rather not buy direct from Russia or Poland due to Brexit and import duty faff to be honest.

I’ve got an alert on Juno and a couple of other places so hopefully they’ll get diverging back in soonish. I’m not in a rush and just bought a DFAM so that’s keeping me busy!

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 am
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 am
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 am
Does anyone know a shop in the UK that currently has them in stock? I've looked everywhere but starting to think the containers are stuck in the Suez Canal...

I think you pretty much have to order from SOMA and get on the waiting list. They do randomly send them stores every once in a while, but those just fill preorders. I don't think you will ever just find one for sale you can buy without waiting.

When I ordered a month ago from soma they said the wait was 4 months at most.
Juno has the Lyra8 in stock which is where I bought mine from. I’d rather not buy direct from Russia or Poland due to Brexit and import duty faff to be honest.

I’ve got an alert on Juno and a couple of other places so hopefully they’ll get diverging back in soonish. I’m not in a rush and just bought a DFAM so that’s keeping me busy!
Lyra-8 there is no problem buying from other stores, but I have never seen a pulsar-23 that has been in stock.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:21 pm

metamorphmuses wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:06 pm
Is the main output a balanced or unbalanced connection? The lyra-8 manual says it's output is balanced, but the pulsar manual does not say anything about its main output.

Same question about outputs 1-6.

I am re-organizing the studio and soldering up cables and want to know if I should do TRS or TS connectors for this synth. Weird how so many manuals for different synths don't give you such basic information.
Unbalanced.

"Pulsar has unbalanced outputs, so as a rule of thumb it’s better to use TS jacks."

Source: SomaLabs answering this question on the Pulsar-23 forum
Great, thanks a lot.

araynor08
Learning to Wiggle

Post by araynor08 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:15 pm

mor4sso wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:16 pm
anyone using this badboy with an octatrack?

i'm having trouble with the pulsar's midi learns picking up the OT knobs. actually, it doesnt seem to be picking up note data either
I use it with the octa. No issues at all.

Kypski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kypski » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:39 am

Hi all, i just posted my first video on my beloved Pulsar. Enjoy.

Also, if you become a patron before april 12th i will credit your patron name when i 'll be performing 'Pon De Floor' by Major Lazer on just the Pulsar.
www.patreon.com/kypski
Cheers
Thomas

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:57 am

Daaaaaaaaaaaaang! No one has these bad boys in stock! Someone is selling on reverb for FOUR AND FIVE THOUSAND dollars! Yuck.
Just ordered (well, joined the list) with Soma.
Four Months!
If anyone sees one out there for sale, please hit me up!

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 am

theres one on soundonsound readers ads for £1900 (i have no affiliation)

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:32 pm

I'm waiting impatiently for this to come. I got a bonus at work and saw it up for pre order on a retailer before Christmas. Just missed out on the first preorder but got on the second. It was suppose to arrive mid Jan but it hasn't yet (1st preorder arrived on time before christmas). I kinda wish I ordered it directly from Soma at the time. Just that I randomly came across the preorder and thought I was going to be getting it sooner than ordering it directly.

They're not getting much information from Soma regarding their batch order so I'm not sure when I'm gonna get it. I want it so bad, I know the wait is gonna be worth it! This thing sounds immense. I have a Digitakt, A4 and small euro setup. Can't wait to run it through my euro distortions.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm

I wonder how much the Pandemic is causing delays. Although they are squeaking out new products...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 am

I just got an update re: my preorder from a retailer here in the US... he said he just got an update that May will be the month .. Ive been waiting since new year impatiently... but gots plenny to keep me busy til then

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 am
I just got an update re: my preorder from a retailer here in the US... he said he just got an update that May will be the month .. Ive been waiting since new year impatiently... but gots plenny to keep me busy til then
Care to share which retailer?

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:51 pm

TheRosskonian wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:21 pm
Illwiggle wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 am
Care to share which retailer?
Detroit Modular

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:45 am

I’ve bit the bullet and ordered one from the Poland division. Cost to import to UK is 20% VAT plus 2% duty on top of that. Way cheaper and faster than any retailer.

adroc
1-Post Wiggler

Post by adroc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 pm

Has anyone in the USA received their pulsar-23 shipped from Russia recently? I made payment on March 5th and it shipped on March 10th but tracking hasn't been updated since it left Russia on March 18th.

B0bcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm

adroc wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 pm
Has anyone in the USA received their pulsar-23 shipped from Russia recently? I made payment on March 5th and it shipped on March 10th but tracking hasn't been updated since it left Russia on March 18th.
Sounds normal - mine took 4-6 weeks for to door last year, and I’ve ordered some other stuff from russia recently and it’s been 4 weeks without much movement.
WTB(US): Metasonix R-53, Bastl Softpop, Blippoo Box

siisx
1-Post Wiggler

Post by siisx » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Weird question I guess: Has anybody here tried/managed to make “Autechre-esque” music? Like their Untilted album for example. I mean that kind of drums: or anything similar to what Autechre do. I like what Richard Devine makes too:

Or anything a bit "different". I mean different from techno. Thanks!

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:07 pm

siisx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:02 pm
Hi everyone,

Weird question I guess: Has anybody here tried/managed to make “Autechre-esque” music? Like their Untilted album for example. I mean that kind of drums: or anything similar to what Autechre do. I like what Richard Devine makes too:

I haven't put a lot of effort into replicating Autechre-esque drums with the Pulsar-23, just a few experiments. My gut feeling is that you can get the textures, but if you want to achieve the generative patterns, you need to sequence the P23 with a powerful external device — a computer running Max/MSP or a capable standalone sequencer.

Oh, and I think you'd probably have a better time of it if you had two Pulsar-23s for more drum voices; alternatively one P23 and another high-end drum synth (Vermona DRM1 MKIV or AVP Synth ADS-7 mk2) and/or sampler (Isla S2400). Or maybe that's my GAS talking.

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Tue May 04, 2021 2:58 am

Just to give an update – ordered my Pulsar-23 14th April and received it yesterday, 3rd May via DHL Express through their Poland division who have been incredibly helpful and kind. It arrived extremely well packaged and is built like a tank, just like the Lyra-8. Having it shipped via DHL Express means customs and import duty is all done in advance so when it arrived at borders it sailed through without issues. Paid the equivalent of 1500 EUR in GBP for the Pulsar-23, 56EUR shipping plus 20% VAT plus 2% import duty on the gross price and £11 DHL handling. All in all, it arrived VERY quickly and cost around £1650 landed, which is the same as the shops here sell them for but you can't get them there.

Having loads of fun and now considering selling the DFAM as it feels a little redundant! Or are there any good synergies between the two?

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 am

Tue May 04, 2021 2:58 am
Just to give an update – ordered my Pulsar-23 14th April and received it yesterday, 3rd May via DHL Express through their Poland division who have been incredibly helpful and kind. It arrived extremely well packaged and is built like a tank, just like the Lyra-8. Having it shipped via DHL Express means customs and import duty is all done in advance so when it arrived at borders it sailed through without issues. Paid the equivalent of 1500 EUR in GBP for the Pulsar-23, 56EUR shipping plus 20% VAT plus 2% import duty on the gross price and £11 DHL handling. All in all, it arrived VERY quickly and cost around £1650 landed, which is the same as the shops here sell them for but you can't get them there.

Having loads of fun and now considering selling the DFAM as it feels a little redundant! Or are there any good synergies between the two?
That's strange, I preordered mine on Feb 12th and have not heard anything yet...

But I'm glad you got it and are enjoying!

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 am

Just to be clear this was Soma Poland division, not Russia. Looks like you’re in the US so you’d usually go via Russia/straight to soma but I don’t see why you couldn’t order via Poland as well? Price is the same 1500 EUR.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 am

Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 am
Just to be clear this was Soma Poland division, not Russia. Looks like you’re in the US so you’d usually go via Russia/straight to soma but I don’t see why you couldn’t order via Poland as well? Price is the same 1500 EUR.
Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. I am patient so no rush, I was just worried I may have missed an email from them or something :-).

tl3ss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tl3ss » Thu May 06, 2021 9:58 am

siisx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:02 pm
Hi everyone,

Yes, I find it fantastic for IDM-ish type stuff. I find it lends itself to this more so than techno to be honest, at least for me. Especially if you modulate the clock, or use an external sequencer like the Flux, or the Ornament-8.

This was about 90% pulsar.

This again about 90% pulsar (only the melodic sound is coming from somewhere else):

Using a Pulsar Buddy this time:

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Is there a way to modulate the attack and release? Can't find or think of a way to do this. Cheers!

aleszylder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aleszylder » Sun May 16, 2021 3:44 am

Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Is there a way to modulate the attack and release? Can't find or think of a way to do this. Cheers!
Not directly, but you could get the channel to drone through the vca, and use an external envelope to open it (if eurorack, presumably the eg module would have cv shapeable attack and release)

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Tue May 18, 2021 4:04 am

Thanks – all I have is a Lyra, Pulsar and DFAM though :)

Return to “General Gear”