Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Well I emailed perfect circuit and they said they just randomly get a few at a time as SOMA is able to send them and that there are a number of preorders so they don't know when one will be available.

So I emailed SOMA to put in a preorder and they said wait time is about 4 months, which was a lot quicker than I expected! Now I hope I can save the money in time. I never thought I would be ordering a drum machine but here I am ;).

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 pm

One more question:

Are there different versions of this or has it been changed at all since release? I noticed there have been a number of slightly different versions of the lyra-8 over the years...

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm

How's everyone getting along with this thing if you have one? Seem to sell quick as could be.
THUMPR BC SC

WERKAANZEE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WERKAANZEE » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:49 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 pm
Well I emailed perfect circuit and they said they just randomly get a few at a time as SOMA is able to send them and that there are a number of preorders so they don't know when one will be available.

So I emailed SOMA to put in a preorder and they said wait time is about 4 months, which was a lot quicker than I expected! Now I hope I can save the money in time. I never thought I would be ordering a drum machine but here I am ;).
When I joined the SOMA Pulsar pre order list 1 month ago they said 'current preorders will take about 4 months to complete'. But they emailed me last week to say it was ready. It takes another couple weeks to ship from when you pay though...

If youre in Europe, ordering direct from their EU division (poland) seems to be the best bet. Theyre really good at answering emails too.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:46 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm
How's everyone getting along with this thing if you have one? Seem to sell quick as could be.
Got #5 and no plans to ever sell it. Most inspiring instrument I’ve ever owned.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:57 pm

Loving mine, been having some inspirational jams and just did a bit of recording tonight with it.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:45 pm

It seems it’s a great combo of sequencing and shapable drums which is what I want. If they came out with a module version I’d be in. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to score it but it certainly checks my boxes which is why I’m suspicious of how this will hold up for people.
THUMPR BC SC

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:46 pm

i have no idea how the Soma waitlist works. i put in my pre-order in November of 2019, got a notification that my turn was up two weeks back. paid, waited a week after bank transfer, then it got shipped via DHL and arrive in NYC overnight (no customs fees). FWIW, i also got a normal sized power adapter without the bulk.

The carrying case is a nice touch. The Soma branded decksaver is a worthy add-on.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Just got an update re: my preorder fwiw

“ We finally have our first super small shipment landing at the end of the week / beginning of next, and they promised us a larger shipment at the end of Feb / beginning of March. If everything holds up, that would have yours in that shipment. ”.

I preordered at the New Year

Eddeh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddeh » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:41 am

Hi all, I’ve been lurking In the forums for about 5 years now and thought it about time I subscribe. Hopefully I can contribute in some way. Im loving the Pulsar so far but in wanting to switch between sequencing it from midi; Keystep pro and CV IO Labs Flux with Div Kid mutes as a performance truck I’ve found as soon as the trig in pin is connected it alters what sounds like the midi in velocity. I thought the addition of DivKids Mutes might solve this, I’ve tried both the 1/4 inputs and 3.5 but unless I disconnect trig in the incoming midi is altered. Has anyone found a workaround?

WERKAANZEE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WERKAANZEE » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 am

Yeah there seems to be some velocity missing when triggering the pulsar from outside... ive been experimenting sequencing with erica synths drum seq as well as digitakt and digitone. The elektron stuff really rocks with the pulsar, its midi mapping capabilites are so awesome. Its wild to have something so modern and efficient on something that also feels so old and heavy / over built. I LOVE this machine. It just arrived two days ago and it blows my mind everytime i turn it on. So many small details make this such a remarkably playable and enjoyable not to mention USEFUL musical instrument. The looper system is incredible and really changes the whole PSYCHOLOGY of percussion programming. I could go on for days about this machine. I have no answers im just blabbing!

Also, from the day i joined the pre order list to the machines arrival it was about 5 weeks in totall.

I ordered the ORNAMENT seq today. I love all the weird shit the SOMA people make in their videos. It reminds me of the noise bands from the early 00's like BLACK DICE and WOLF EYES and then mixed with CONGOTRONICS and then like, MINISTRY for good measure.

petezoid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by petezoid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:43 pm

this might have been answered already but ... would pulsar recognize norns shield as a midi host e.g. would i be able to send midi data from norns shield straight to pulsar, without a crow for example ? or a computer ?? thanks so much

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Does the sample and hold work well with audio rate signals? Can you use it for sample rate reduction?

I have a sample and hold in my euro case but it doesn't work with audio rate signals.

splump
Common Wiggler

Post by splump » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:13 am

I thought i'd contribute an unedited and unprocessed recording of a Pulsar 23 jam i had a late night a while back, so here you go. :)
The melodic sequencing (and also triggering of the kick and snare/clap) courtesy of the onboard shaos module.

splump
Common Wiggler

Post by splump » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:17 am

WERKAANZEE wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 am
Yeah there seems to be some velocity missing when triggering the pulsar from outside...
I've experienced this too. I fixed it by stacking the triggers in a unity mixer to boost the levels. That gave me full velocity with outside triggers.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi!
New user here :)
Really enjoying the pulsar!
One question, im sending all sorts of lfos and modulations to the pulsar from my eurorack, and i have already run out pins on the pulsar that convert the eurorack cables to allligator...so i was wondering if its safe to solder up some wires that go from euro in one end to alligator on the other.
Would it be safe since i would not solder GND of the wire and just solder the tip (Signal) of the cable?
Cheers!

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 pm

djthopa wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Hi!
One question, im sending all sorts of lfos and modulations to the pulsar from my eurorack, and i have already run out pins on the pulsar that convert the eurorack cables to allligator...so i was wondering if its safe to solder up some wires that go from euro in one end to alligator on the other.
Would it be safe since i would not solder GND of the wire and just solder the tip (Signal) of the cable?
Cheers!
That should be fine as long as you have some eurorack cables plugged into the pulsar as well (it will get ground from the sleeve of those). You can even just clip an alligator cable to the tip of a eurorack cable as well.

I could be wrong but I also think I remember somebody making eurorack connectors that were just a 3.5mm jack with a pin on the other end (no cable involved) to attach an alligator clip to.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:26 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:49 pm
djthopa wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Hi!
Cheers!
That should be fine as long as you have some eurorack cables plugged into the pulsar as well (it will get ground from the sleeve of those). You can even just clip an alligator cable to the tip of a eurorack cable as well.

I could be wrong but I also think I remember somebody making eurorack connectors that were just a 3.5mm jack with a pin on the other end (no cable involved) to attach an alligator clip to.
Thanks for the heads up! I was clipping the alligator to the tip of the euro cables and it was working great. I think i might diy a patchbay of some sort with jacks to plug in the eurorack cables all with a common ground and then each of the tips of the jacks connected to some sort of metal extrusion where i could clip the alligator cables, finally make a connection from the ground euro jack pins to the gnd pin on the pulsar.

Thanks!

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 am

Does anyone know a shop in the UK that currently has them in stock? I've looked everywhere but starting to think the containers are stuck in the Suez Canal...

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 am

It’s been sparse before that
THUMPR BC SC

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 am

I just want a bloody orange one, its my life color..

OrganismicLifeform
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OrganismicLifeform » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:46 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 am
It’s been sparse before that
I know, I know :)

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:49 am

OrganismicLifeform wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 am
Does anyone know a shop in the UK that currently has them in stock? I've looked everywhere but starting to think the containers are stuck in the Suez Canal...

I think you pretty much have to order from SOMA and get on the waiting list. They do randomly send them stores every once in a while, but those just fill preorders. I don't think you will ever just find one for sale you can buy without waiting.

When I ordered a month ago from soma they said the wait was 4 months at most.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:06 pm

Is the main output a balanced or unbalanced connection? The lyra-8 manual says it's output is balanced, but the pulsar manual does not say anything about its main output.

Same question about outputs 1-6.

I am re-organizing the studio and soldering up cables and want to know if I should do TRS or TS connectors for this synth. Weird how so many manuals for different synths don't give you such basic information.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:06 pm
Is the main output a balanced or unbalanced connection? The lyra-8 manual says it's output is balanced, but the pulsar manual does not say anything about its main output.

Same question about outputs 1-6.

I am re-organizing the studio and soldering up cables and want to know if I should do TRS or TS connectors for this synth. Weird how so many manuals for different synths don't give you such basic information.
Unbalanced.

"Pulsar has unbalanced outputs, so as a rule of thumb it’s better to use TS jacks."

Source: SomaLabs answering this question on the Pulsar-23 forum

Return to “General Gear”