Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

zollenz
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by zollenz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:37 am

WERKAANZEE wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 am
When it comes to modular the idea that you should 'dress for the job you want not the one you have' i.e. aquire gear way beyond your understanding in the hopes that it will provide you with room to grow / evolve.
I bought a Pulsar specifically with this in mind. One popped up in the local classifieds and I jumped on it immediately. Lucky, because I had sort of abandoned the idea of getting one due to the price and hassle of ordering things from outside the EU, let alone Russia.

I only just started buying some semi-modular synths the last year or so and I was having great fun with that. I'm still just fumbling around. I already knew beforehand that the Pulsar would be way too much for me to handle currently. And it is. But that's fine. I embrace fumbling.

I had the dough to spare at the time and I had a feeling that this was an instrument I'd enjoy exploring over a long time. I'm in for the long haul. If it really doesn't work out or I'm having money trouble, I feel confident I can sell it again without taking a huge loss.

But so far I'm :bananaguitar:

Basernst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basernst » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm

metamorphmuses wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:50 pm
I think the Pulsar-23 might be too much of a giant step to be your first into the modular world. To use another analogy, you might be biting off a bit more than you want to chew. But if you have the money, with greater risk comes greater reward, and you can rest assured that if you want to sell the Pulsar after you've played with it, it's been holding its value very well on the used market.
OK I am a warned man now... I have never paid as much as this for a piece of gear but I think it is worth it.
metamorphmuses wrote:
For MIDI sequencing, to me the obvious first choice for you would be to use the OP-1 to start with. If you want to add a third device to introduce velocity-sensitive pads, being that neither the Pulsar-23 nor the OP-1 have them, why not just get a MIDI pad controller like a Korg NanoPad2, Akai MPD218, or MidiFighter 3D? I say this not to necessarily discourage you from getting an MPC One, but rather just to leverage what you already have and build up from there.
The OP-1 is a fantastic machine but not the best midi seqencer. I can try with a usb to midi host... or do I miss something?
The midi pad controllers you mentioned are usb midi controllers so I have to use a host (or computer) and the pads are not really useful for sequencing... But for the velocity sensitive pads it is a good advice. thanks.
metamorphmuses wrote:
Actually, I think a MPC One would be a good choice if you have the money, because it is a sampler, in contrast with the Pulsar-23 which is a drum synth. Me, personally, having sold my MPC 1000 and my Roland R-70 drum machine after getting my P23, I realized that I didn't really need a groovebox-sampler or sample-based percussion unit, or at least not the ones I had — I am still considering an Isla S2400 because the workflow looks perfect for me but that is certainly a pricey baby.
I think the MPC one is the most complete option (but is soooo ugly plastic, colourbuttondisco that it's almost a dealbreaker). WOW the Isla s2400 looks like a super nice machine.
metamorphmuses wrote:
As of now, I have a Synthstrom Deluge that I often use with my P23 those two pair nicely because the Deluge has two CV outs as well as of course MIDI, and although the Deluge doesn't have velocity sensitive pads, I find it exceedingly easy and well suited to my process to record the notes first and then go back over and automate the velocities in a second pass.
Off course! the Deluge might beat the MPC for me! It can even host the OP1 via USB! I think I will have to figure out the way I want to compose/ make music. So witch one would be more intuitive for someone like me?

Thanks for your time and helping me out on this!

Basernst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basernst » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:35 pm

WERKAANZEE wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 am
DO IT.
Thanks WERKAANZEE... (also Dutch a assume) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving me some advice. I have stripped down the quote off your reply to the most important two words... :sb:

Basernst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basernst » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:39 pm

zollenz wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:37 am
I embrace fumbling.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The chances are high I will be fumbling my way into the Pulsar dimension soon... :waah:

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:07 pm

Basernst wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm
metamorphmuses wrote:
For MIDI sequencing, to me the obvious first choice for you would be to use the OP-1 to start with. If you want to add a third device to introduce velocity-sensitive pads, being that neither the Pulsar-23 nor the OP-1 have them, why not just get a MIDI pad controller like a Korg NanoPad2, Akai MPD218, or MidiFighter 3D? I say this not to necessarily discourage you from getting an MPC One, but rather just to leverage what you already have and build up from there.
The OP-1 is a fantastic machine but not the best midi seqencer. I can try with a usb to midi host... or do I miss something?
The midi pad controllers you mentioned are usb midi controllers so I have to use a host (or computer) and the pads are not really useful for sequencing... But for the velocity sensitive pads it is a good advice. thanks.
Yes, I was thinking that you'd connect the OP-1 to the Pulsar-23 via USB to MIDI DIN adapter, but you also point out a flaw in my plan — being that I was commenting in a stream-of-consciousness manner — which is that you'd have to have to set up the OP-1 as MIDI host to the pad controllers and simultaneously send MIDI from the OP-1 via USB to the P23; that would have to involve a breakout MIDI host box at a minimum, and sounds like it might not just add another wrinkle into the setup but perhaps even exceed what the OP-1 and a MIDI host box can manage.

So, that makes the MPC One or another groovebox in that vein all the more desirable and appropriate.
Basernst wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm
metamorphmuses wrote:
As of now, I have a Synthstrom Deluge that I often use with my P23 those two pair nicely because the Deluge has two CV outs as well as of course MIDI, and although the Deluge doesn't have velocity sensitive pads, I find it exceedingly easy and well suited to my process to record the notes first and then go back over and automate the velocities in a second pass.
Off course! the Deluge might beat the MPC for me! It can even host the OP1 via USB! I think I will have to figure out the way I want to compose/ make music. So witch one would be more intuitive for someone like me?

Thanks for your time and helping me out on this!
You're quite welcome, I like to muse about different arrangements of gear I do and don't have. ;)

I think the Deluge is magnificent and kind of a steal for the price, but only you can say which is more intuitive. Velocity-sensitive pads are immediate and fun, and I never would have thought I'd be fine without them until I didn't have the MPC 1000 anymore (which by the way is still a very good piece of gear) and found myself managing just fine without the replacement I had planned (namely a Push 2).

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm

Shit, I live in Alaska and I have unit #12.

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:44 am

I don't think the Pulsar is too complex at all and the infrastructure that pulls all the functions together is laid out very well. Like said before, it feels like a functioning eurorack drumcase more than anything else. When it goes to sequencing I also think people forget about the working and syncable internal looping. It makes for some human locked but slightly of the grid grooves that can breathe some fresh air in too stiff productions.

With the possibility to bring in external midi CCs and the internal attenuators it can be a mighty groove monster. If a 808 is Ifrit, 909 Shiva, this one is Behemoth.

Peace

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:09 pm

northerntao wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Shit, I live in Alaska and I have unit #12.
Ha, that's wild! Texas, #11 here. Anyone have #10 or #13?
Thanks for everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter! More news soon.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Still loving my Pulsar-23! Just released this track today on a comp, which aside from the choir sound was all Pulsar. I experimented some more with a shifting clock (using an external LFO to slowly modulate the internal clock) and it just responds so quickly and nicely to it. I also experimented some with frequency based panning (not sure if an existing term exists for it), by sending some of the pulsar voices through a Fixed Filter Bank and then taking the different outputs of the FFB and panning them differently, so while manually (or by CV) sweeping the filter of the hi-hat for instance it would change it's place in the stereo field based off of the frequency of the filter.

WERKAANZEE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WERKAANZEE » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:10 pm

Rost + Licht wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:44 am
I don't think the Pulsar is too complex at all and the infrastructure that pulls all the functions together is laid out very well. Like said before, it feels like a functioning eurorack drumcase more than anything else. When it goes to sequencing I also think people forget about the working and syncable internal looping. It makes for some human locked but slightly of the grid grooves that can breathe some fresh air in too stiff productions.

With the possibility to bring in external midi CCs and the internal attenuators it can be a mighty groove monster. If a 808 is Ifrit, 909 Shiva, this one is Behemoth.

Peace
Yeah I kind of suspect its not actually all that 'crazy' its just the alligator clip thing makes it look intimidating. Plenty of demos reveal that it functions just fine as a 'straight drum machine' without even having to patch anything. And its midi specs make it a breeze to sequence externaly. Regarding that, i would just use something like a usb to midi dongle like the MIO and simply power the thing via computer-DAW at first before deciding on what other piece of gear to buy. I ordered mine from Thomann here in europe, they claim 2-3 weeks until delivery. Anybody have any inside knowledge on that ship date? Lol im obsessed.

Basernst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basernst » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:37 pm

:yay: JAAAAAAAAAAA! Mineminemineminemine... sorry, I just ordered mine at Thomann...

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:20 am

NoLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm
Still loving my Pulsar-23! Just released this track today on a comp, which aside from the choir sound was all Pulsar. I experimented some more with a shifting clock (using an external LFO to slowly modulate the internal clock) and it just responds so quickly and nicely to it. I also experimented some with frequency based panning (not sure if an existing term exists for it), by sending some of the pulsar voices through a Fixed Filter Bank and then taking the different outputs of the FFB and panning them differently, so while manually (or by CV) sweeping the filter of the hi-hat for instance it would change it's place in the stereo field based off of the frequency of the filter.

Dope! Thx for sharing. That Pulsar23 is so damn nasty... the sound and the rhythms coming out.. most demos Ive heard are consistent in this... basically havent heard anything unremarkable come outta this box. Also eagerly waiting for mine

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:09 pm

one day soon i will own this incredope machine !
buy some vinyl I produced! - dope open drums and funky dark dramatic tracks!
https://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Fingers-O ... e/15916070

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:20 am
NoLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Dope! Thx for sharing. That Pulsar23 is so damn nasty... the sound and the rhythms coming out.. most demos Ive heard are consistent in this... basically havent heard anything unremarkable come outta this box. Also eagerly waiting for mine
Thank you!

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Wow, I just had a really satisfying first jam! Super fun, very immediate to get something going and then easy to dig into that groove and get variations.

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 am

Is there a way to sync the delay to midi clock?

mor4sso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mor4sso » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:16 pm

anyone using this badboy with an octatrack?

i'm having trouble with the pulsar's midi learns picking up the OT knobs. actually, it doesnt seem to be picking up note data either

petezoid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by petezoid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm

omfg the MAD! pin connected to shaos is mind-altering

does anyone have tips for offsetting voltages coming from eurorack? im sequencing pulsar with a euclidean circles and it works great but quietly since pulsar is 0–10V and euro is typically +/-5V if im not mistaken ... some folks have recommended maths or disting m4 but im wondering if there's a more streamlined solution/a dedicated module for hex-offset

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:01 pm

petezoid wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm

does anyone have tips for offsetting voltages coming from eurorack? im sequencing pulsar with a euclidean circles and it works great but quietly since pulsar is 0–10V and euro is typically +/-5V if im not mistaken ... some folks have recommended maths or disting m4 but im wondering if there's a more streamlined solution/a dedicated module for hex-offset
You don't want an offset, it will just shift the voltage upwards. You want something to amplify the signal.

For example, if you offset a 0-5v signal up so the peak is 10v, then it will just be a 5v-10v signal, meaning the voices will constantly hold at 5v and spike up to 10v.

You want something that can double the amplitude or boost the signal. I haven't personally tried it but the Intellijel Quad VCA seems ideal as it has a +6 dB boost (Which which will double the voltage), and 4 channels, which matches nicely with the Pulsar's 4 voices.

nodog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nodog » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 am

Does voltage influence the sound when triggered? That's news to me. Something else to explore I guess. Neat!

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 am

nodog wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 am
Does voltage influence the sound when triggered? That's news to me. Something else to explore I guess. Neat!
Yes! Seems to behave in the same way as velocity when controlling over MIDI. Would be cool to feed in the output of an envelope follower that is tracking another drum loop. I might try that.

petezoid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by petezoid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am

NoLegs wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:01 pm
petezoid wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm

You don't want an offset, it will just shift the voltage upwards. You want something to amplify the signal.

For example, if you offset a 0-5v signal up so the peak is 10v, then it will just be a 5v-10v signal, meaning the voices will constantly hold at 5v and spike up to 10v.

You want something that can double the amplitude or boost the signal. I haven't personally tried it but the Intellijel Quad VCA seems ideal as it has a +6 dB boost (Which which will double the voltage), and 4 channels, which matches nicely with the Pulsar's 4 voices.
makes sense! thank you

zollenz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zollenz » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:31 am

TVNoel wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 am
nodog wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 am
Does voltage influence the sound when triggered?
Yes! Seems to behave in the same way as velocity when controlling over MIDI.
I was also surprised by this at first.
petezoid wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am
Any recommendations for DIY modules in the same vein?

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Where is everyone buying this from? Direct from soma?

All the online stores that have it listed (like perfect circuit) seem to have it on perpetual preorder. Is it just a soft launch so far or something?
FS (US): Nothing: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:49 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 pm
Where is everyone buying this from? Direct from soma?

All the online stores that have it listed (like perfect circuit) seem to have it on perpetual preorder. Is it just a soft launch so far or something?
the way it worked when i did my research and go mine they were filling their direct orders first then supplying the retailers im not sure how far out the retail orders are at this point a year later but im sure they would give you a concrete idea if you write them they are very responsive by email.

Return to “General Gear”