Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

empirix
Common Wiggler

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by empirix » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:20 am

NoLegs wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 pm
Halfgeleider wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 am
Anyone that know how long the wait is for europe? not into techno kind of music but looking into it for IDM drums and sounds and think i hit the correct piece in this or am i wrong?
I think it works great for IDM. Part of the reason it works so well is how responsive it is to external clock changes, tons of fun to be had switching tempos immediately.

This track is about 90% Pulsar-23, with the exception of the dialog sample and some clicky stuff from a dual LPG.

Nice track, could do the same on a machinedrum - just saying :miley:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 pm

empirix wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:20 am
NoLegs wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 pm
Halfgeleider wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 am
Anyone that know how long the wait is for europe? not into techno kind of music but looking into it for IDM drums and sounds and think i hit the correct piece in this or am i wrong?
I think it works great for IDM. Part of the reason it works so well is how responsive it is to external clock changes, tons of fun to be had switching tempos immediately.

This track is about 90% Pulsar-23, with the exception of the dialog sample and some clicky stuff from a dual LPG.

Nice track, could do the same on a machinedrum - just saying :miley:
Cool! Do it and share.

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:10 am

Ohes wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 am
Thanks for your help!
Is there any demo of a "normal drum machine" use on the internet? I would be curious to hear how it sound!
Of course i heard the kick and loved it, but i would hear things like clap, snare, hats and toms...

I'm really interested in all the modular sounds (and i think here is the fun on this machine), but as you said, for this price i would check if classical sounds are possible, because i also need a normal drum machine, and if both are in the box, it will be a total yes for me!

I have gate sequencers in my rig like Gatestorm or Pamela New Workout, that i think will match so these are good news :)
Here is a demo of me using it as a "normal drum machine". Kick, snare, shaker/hat, and clangy metallic sounds all coming from the Pulsar. The kick requires very little compression, just some EQ to take out some lower frequencies.

Also a cheeky sample of Mr Kreimer himself

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 am

Two weeks with the Pulsar and I have to say it's a special one. If you are looking for something immediate ... well... But as soon as you start to get used to it, you can get so many fantastic textures & powerful drums that you can't stop loving it. You can also use it as a " simple " drum machine but still, sounding very different than we are used to hear. It's a very good combination with my RYTM and my modular system, te way you can patch IN or patch OUT is very easy and allows you to create cool combinations. For me it's a win even sometimes I can be frustrated because it takes time to go where I want but it's part of the deal. The conclusion is having something special with his own character in the studio is challenging but yet rewarding!

Waxfiend
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Waxfiend » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:17 am

Where can I get alligator clip to 3.5mm jack to connect pulsar to dfam?

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 am

Waxfiend wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:17 am
Where can I get alligator clip to 3.5mm jack to connect pulsar to dfam?
There are 8 converters built into the Pulsar: each has a pin for an alligator clip which routes to a 3.5mm jack socket. Can be used as inputs or outputs.

If you were making your own I think you would need 2 alligator clips per jack plug. One to connect to the relevant pin, and one to connect to ground (there is a ground pin provided too).

Noiseg33k
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noiseg33k » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Hello! Long time lurker here..ready to post these though.

I've developed some 3.5mm to pin (soma format and others) adapters which I will offer in lit and un-lit variants. Benefits: No wider than a standard 3.5mm cable so it blocks no other jacks, you can turn any signal into a mult, and with 2 you can connect signals via touch etc. I've personally found the pin format to be better for me....I imagine many others will feel the same soon. I've found the adapters useful when using SOMA gear with eurorack. If you have any interest in them shoot me a private message. Just trying to gauge interest at the moment, ready to start offering them very soon.

I MAY offer a DIY version. At the moment they are a rather huge PITA to make though, which is why I may have a part made.

2nd revision. I May have a small part made to make them easier to build but will likely offer them like this for the time being. The un-lit variant will have a black body.

Welcome to the bottom where I plug my music also.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 am

Noiseg33k wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 pm
{...} I've developed some 3.5mm to pin (soma format and others) adapters which I will offer in lit and un-lit variants. {...}
Can you post how much these will cost in the lit and un-lit variants, please.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:19 am

I tried to buy one of these twice yesterday. The first was Orange - I thought about it for a few and then went to pay...poof - gone.
The second was black, I paid and when I woke up - the guy said he sold it locally and I had been refunded.

Hit me up if you are thinking of selling and are in the US. Looking to add this to the mix with Serge and Bugs.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:10 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:19 am
{...}
You could try ordering from Thomann USA. It says in stock in 4-5 weeks, which is nothing compared to how long some peeps have been waiting.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 pm

I preordered one from Detroit Modular early in the month (who’s discount code is still active afaik), asked on an ETA, was told theres a planned shipment end of Jan/early Feb & that it will likely come to be a little later than that.

Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:16 pm

A few little excerpts from jams with the Pulsar-23:

Wonky beat

Shaos beats

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:02 pm

namshub wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:36 pm
Mine took 103 days of shipping.
Things are obvs not normal at the moment.
Was a relief when my shipping notice eventually changed after months of stasis.
Was worth the wait:)
I've been waiting 68 days for mine (Russia to Australia) …. 35 more days to go!!! :sarcasm:

#*^@$ EMS! … do they not have DHL in Russia??

textuell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by textuell » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Despite the direction of the arrow, can you send signals the other way around (out) using the dedicated eurorack pins/Jacks?

namshub
Common Wiggler

Post by namshub » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Leighzi88 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:02 pm
namshub wrote:
I've been waiting 68 days for mine (Russia to Australia) …. 35 more days to go!!! :sarcasm:

hang in there!
It's a great excuse to expunge unfinished music while you wait for that shipping page to change.

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:26 am

namshub wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm
Leighzi88 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:02 pm
namshub wrote:

hang in there!
It's a great excuse to expunge unfinished music while you wait for that shipping page to change.
Thanks!! Did you have to pay any customs on yours? Nobody has called me to ask for payment.

namshub
Common Wiggler

Post by namshub » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:08 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, I was expecting the worst. But I was relieved when it turned up - not a letter from customs.
A friend's P23 slipped thru as well.
Hope you are lucky too!

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:03 am

namshub wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:08 am
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, I was expecting the worst. But I was relieved when it turned up - not a letter from customs.
A friend's P23 slipped thru as well.
Hope you are lucky too!
Oh that’s cool - fingers crossed!

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:09 pm

This might have been previously asked, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. Sorry if it's redundant. I'm just wondering if any folks in the U.S. who ordered from Soma's European division got hit with customs fee charges. And, if so, how much was it? I'm on the fence about trying to pre-order it from one of the U.S. retailers or just ordering direct.

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:53 pm

No customs charges or anything like that for me. In IL.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:07 pm

mine came to the US via DHL, and I paid no customs fees. I think there's always a chance you could get hit with the fees.

Basernst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basernst » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Rost + Licht wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 am
As far as playing drums goes; nothing beats the MPC immediacy for me. Ofc it takes some degree of getting used to it and straight up learning finger drumming (which can be countered with the note repeat function), but you will be rewarded with much more alive feeling drums then with robotical on the grid programming.
Alot of the funk with the MPC comes from not just frsntical played Hits but especially the silence you can leave in between them, and then rolling into the next heavy drumming phase.

If you want to get it very tight the Polyend Tracker might be a good look. You can have all the rolls, chance based and whatever thingamajig with much more overview then the Octa, or any xox Type programming honestly. It's the moment you realize how Autechre or Aphex Twin got their rhythmic structures this tight. It's strange really but it makes very good for strong minimalistic gestures that can repeat over a whole track, while having other tracks going absolute bonkers to the left, right and on top.

Another one that pairs very well with any drum machine, but perfect with heavily open ones in terms of sound altering like the Pulsar, is the max for live software Strokes. It's this kind of software that makes you realize that every hardware device is kind of nonsensical in terms of musical outcome.
Thanks for this post . I “almost” bought the Pulsar but not familiar with modular yet.

My background is acoustic drummer for years in pop and rock misic. I addes some triggers, spds etc. Used to working in DAW and recorded and mixed some music for my band years back. I use my OP1 for fun and untill now I’m not a songwriter in the classic way.

I was always attrackted to knobs and making my own sounds and just love the sound of the Pulsar. So I thought this would be my giant step into the modular world. What do you muffwigglers think?

For the more classical approach to songstructure I want to use a seqencer. So my second question is:
what is the best external seqencer/drum machine to seqence the pulsar?

A) I’m not a fingerdrummer but maybe the MPC one is the best because I can connect the OP1 via USB, and have the midi and cv/gate for pulsar/modular. But I dont like the sounds I hear on every video and have my doubts about the interface and sequence possibilities.

B) The Digitakt doesn’t have the cv/gate and can not clock my OP1 via usb but is maybe a better sequencer and better companion to pulsar?

C) Analog rytm/octatrack/analog four might be better then the Digitakt but a bit too expensive for me next to the pulsar...

D) beatstep pro: no onboard sounds at all only controller... maybe wait for Bcr32 from behringer.

E) O-CTRL. More the way I want to explore but not really a “classic song making” beat seqencer... (love to pair it with O-COAST in the future but first thing’s first)

F) ?

Thanks a lot for the response!

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Basernst wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:11 pm
{...}

I was always attrackted to knobs and making my own sounds and just love the sound of the Pulsar. So I thought this would be my giant step into the modular world. What do you muffwigglers think?

For the more classical approach to songstructure I want to use a seqencer. So my second question is:
what is the best external seqencer/drum machine to seqence the pulsar?

A) I’m not a fingerdrummer but maybe the MPC one is the best because I can connect the OP1 via USB, and have the midi and cv/gate for pulsar/modular. But I dont like the sounds I hear on every video and have my doubts about the interface and sequence possibilities.

{...}
I think the Pulsar-23 might be too much of a giant step to be your first into the modular world. To use another analogy, you might be biting off a bit more than you want to chew. But if you have the money, with greater risk comes greater reward, and you can rest assured that if you want to sell the Pulsar after you've played with it, it's been holding its value very well on the used market.

For MIDI sequencing, to me the obvious first choice for you would be to use the OP-1 to start with. If you want to add a third device to introduce velocity-sensitive pads, being that neither the Pulsar-23 nor the OP-1 have them, why not just get a MIDI pad controller like a Korg NanoPad2, Akai MPD218, or MidiFighter 3D? I say this not to necessarily discourage you from getting an MPC One, but rather just to leverage what you already have and build up from there.

Actually, I think a MPC One would be a good choice if you have the money, because it is a sampler, in contrast with the Pulsar-23 which is a drum synth. Me, personally, having sold my MPC 1000 and my Roland R-70 drum machine after getting my P23, I realized that I didn't really need a groovebox-sampler or sample-based percussion unit, or at least not the ones I had — I am still considering an Isla S2400 because the workflow looks perfect for me but that is certainly a pricey baby.

As of now, I have a Synthstrom Deluge that I often use with my P23 those two pair nicely because the Deluge has two CV outs as well as of course MIDI, and although the Deluge doesn't have velocity sensitive pads, I find it exceedingly easy and well suited to my process to record the notes first and then go back over and automate the velocities in a second pass.

WERKAANZEE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WERKAANZEE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 am

Thats good advice. When it comes to modular the idea that you should 'dress for the job you want not the one you have' i.e. aquire gear way beyond your understanding in the hopes that it will provide you with room to grow / evolve, is sometimes great but ts also very common to be so overwhelmed with the level of sophistication that some gear provides you end up frusterated and, even worse, bored. That said, I dont actually own the pulsar (yet) but from what i can tell it offers an extraordinary level of under-the-hood modular patch potential and sound sculpting that I mysef would have easily overlooked the value of a few years ago when i began my trip down the modular rabbit hole. Back then someone more experienced told me when i was looking for a module drum set up "a great thing to do is to use NOISE, VCAs, VCFs, pitch ENV and Oscilltors to make your drum sounds" and i thought he was crazy. But after a few years of working with drum samples and dedicated 909 style drum modules i can totally understand what he was getting at: using the raw materials gives you hands on access to an enormous world of sounds and, therefore, expression.

However, my experience also allows me to recognize the fact that the pulsar is a truly unique device and even though i dont own it (yet) you could not possibly go wrong in getting one. Especially because that thing will enjoy a very high resale value for a quite a long time. DO IT.

Return to “General Gear”