Pulsar-23 by Soma

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Pulsar-23 by Soma

Post by Shakespeare » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm in the US, and my adapter looks nothing like that monstrosity. Wonder if it's a difference between the two different production facilities.

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:53 pm

I’m also in the US, and my power supply is a big wonky adapter type arrangement. It’s goofy looking but seems solid enough. I’d prefer something a little more standardized, I had to make room for this one, but it isn’t a huge issue.

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:26 am

Have mine ordered. :hihi:

Do the 1/8th inch eurorack adaptors operate as both in or out? Say can I use one of the 1/8th inch jacks to send the kick to a eurorack distortion? Or do I just use the audio out jack on the back of the Pulsar?

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:29 am

lordymosh wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:26 am

Do the 1/8th inch eurorack adaptors operate as both in or out? Say can I use one of the 1/8th inch jacks to send the kick to a eurorack distortion? Or do I just use the audio out jack on the back of the Pulsar?
They work both in and out, or at least that is my personal experience (it doesn't say explicitly in the manual if it's supposed to be one-way or two-way).

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:46 am

Perfect thanks! I read that part of the manual and wasn't sure.
metamorphmuses wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:29 am
lordymosh wrote:

They work both in and out, or at least that is my personal experience (it doesn't say explicitly in the manual if it's supposed to be one-way or two-way).

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am

[Kkquote=lordymosh post_id=3419905 time=1608799582 user_id=37766]
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

[/quote]

So you could treat them like an insert as on the vermona DRM and perfourmer?

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Rost + Licht wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:47 am
Wait.. so you're honestly saying the Pulsar sounds like a.... Pulsar? I thought it's built around 809 samples!!
Ffs, there just isn't any progression with studio gear. You all will find my Pulsar in the Sale forum aswell
Did I say I wanted it to sound like an 808? I don’t. Do you think it’s unacceptable that someone might not like the sound of gear? Do you think it’s unacceptable that someone might want to try it for real to see if it fits rather than relying on demos and YouTube? Grow up.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Halfgeleider wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am
lordymosh wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:46 am
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

I've been meaning to try this with my Perfourmer, but I haven't yet. Have you used Eurorack modules as CV modulation sources for the Perfourmer yet? That was what I was going to try next, particularly as I am keen to use sequenced CV from my new Erica Synths Black Sequencer to modulate the Perfourmer. I'm pretty confident that if Eurorack to Perfourmer works, then Pulsar to Perfourmer works too.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:03 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 pm
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

I've been meaning to try this with my Perfourmer, but I haven't yet. Have you used Eurorack modules as CV modulation sources for the Perfourmer yet? That was what I was going to try next, particularly as I am keen to use sequenced CV from my new Erica Synths Black Sequencer to modulate the Perfourmer. I'm pretty confident that if Eurorack to Perfourmer works, then Pulsar to Perfourmer works too.
I sequence both the DRM and perfourmer with eurorack, but other then trigger and gates there is no modulation possible on these, or i'm missing something... I almost always use the inserts with pedals, it is so damn easy and powerful. Thats why i wondered if anyone tried it with the outputs of the Pulsar23. No big thing if it wouldnt because you can run the indivudual outs through effects but Vermona did a super good choice to implement that feature.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:09 am

Halfgeleider wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:03 am
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

I sequence both the DRM and perfourmer with eurorack, but other then trigger and gates there is no modulation possible on these, or i'm missing something... I almost always use the inserts with pedals, it is so damn easy and powerful. Thats why i wondered if anyone tried it with the outputs of the Pulsar23. No big thing if it wouldnt because you can run the indivudual outs through effects but Vermona did a super good choice to implement that feature.
I have the Perfourmer with additional CV/Gate inputs, so when I try out the Black Sequencer with it, I will update the thread. And this reminds me, I need to buy some more 1/8" to 1/4" cables.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:09 am
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

I have the Perfourmer with additional CV/Gate inputs, so when I try out the Black Sequencer with it, I will update the thread. And this reminds me, I need to buy some more 1/8" to 1/4" cables.
Yes but you also need insert cables otherwise it wont work. The pulsar will be converged in my setup with euro and vermona, and i think the pulsar can kill it when playing live!

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:57 pm

gosh wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm
Rost + Licht wrote:
Wait.. so you're honestly saying the Pulsar sounds like a.... Pulsar? I thought it's built around 809 samples!!
Ffs, there just isn't any progression with studio gear. You all will find my Pulsar in the Sale forum aswell
Did I say I wanted it to sound like an 808? I don’t. Do you think it’s unacceptable that someone might not like the sound of gear? Do you think it’s unacceptable that someone might want to try it for real to see if it fits rather than relying on demos and YouTube? Grow up.
Hmm don't really now what to answer to this one besides maybe try to lay some more thought into your words next time. Sound like you can't handle this fairly open device.
Halfgeleider wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 am
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

Yes but you also need insert cables otherwise it wont work. The pulsar will be converged in my setup with euro and vermona, and i think the pulsar can kill it when playing live!
You mean this works with the 23 too right? Just tried it with headphones but couldn't get it to work. I did: Bd->out 1><Bitrman (with insert cable)

Btw; I fking love this machine, the way you can work out a heavy rolling groove is sth that's hard to replicate with other gear. As said before, it's like a well put together eurorack drum department

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Rost + Licht wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:57 pm
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

You mean this works with the 23 too right? Just tried it with headphones but couldn't get it to work. I did: Bd->out 1><Bitrman (with insert cable)

Btw; I fking love this machine, the way you can work out a heavy rolling groove is sth that's hard to replicate with other gear. As said before, it's like a well put together eurorack drum department
The conversation about insert cables applies just to the Vermona Perfourmer with outboard gear (where the P23 is the outboard device). With the Bitrman effects pedal, I'm no expert, but I think you'd have to make sure it isn't expecting line level as opposed to Eurorack levels.

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:54 am

Rost + Licht wrote:
gosh wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm
Rost + Licht wrote:
Hmm don't really now what to answer to this one besides maybe try to lay some more thought into your words next time. Sound like you can't handle this fairly open device.
No it sounds like you’re judgemental yet know nothing about how far I’ve explored Pulsar since being an early adopter. It sounds like you just don’t like that someone may tire of a sound, which is ironic given you call for progression. Anyway, I’ve sold it now. A great machine but not for me. I’ll stick with Kyma and my Euro.
Last edited by gosh on Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:06 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:36 pm
Rost + Licht wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
Halfgeleider wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
metamorphmuses wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

The conversation about insert cables applies just to the Vermona Perfourmer with outboard gear (where the P23 is the outboard device). With the Bitrman effects pedal, I'm no expert, but I think you'd have to make sure it isn't expecting line level as opposed to Eurorack levels.
Doesn't matter line or eurorack level i think, the vermona stuff has dedicated " insert outs" that let you put an effect or effectschain on a voice before it is been sent to the stereo out. Besides this output there is also a VCO out, to patch the raw voice to any other device, this output is just the VCO, not affected by the insert. The pulsar has individual outs but my guess is that those are not insert outs, not that big of a deal since you still can put an effect on it but when those would be inserts you would hear the result throughout the main outs without the need of a mixer.
With that said, i'm ordering a pulsar because it is so attractive to me, and sold enough other stuff to fund it.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:43 am

Halfgeleider wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:06 am
{SNIP}

Doesn't matter line or eurorack level i think, the vermona stuff has dedicated " insert outs" that let you put an effect or effectschain on a voice before it is been sent to the stereo out. Besides this output there is also a VCO out, to patch the raw voice to any other device, this output is just the VCO, not affected by the insert. The pulsar has individual outs but my guess is that those are not insert outs, not that big of a deal since you still can put an effect on it but when those would be inserts you would hear the result throughout the main outs without the need of a mixer.
With that said, i'm ordering a pulsar because it is so attractive to me, and sold enough other stuff to fund it.
I cut out the long quote chain because it's getting a bit too long and convoluted. I just want to clarify a few things, separately, with respect to my replies to lordymosh, Halfgeleider, and Rost + Licht.

The Pulsar-23 bottom left pins are outs to the 1/4" jacks in the back of the device. If you connect an individual channel out to one of them, you get the sound of the channel clean, without any of the onboard effects. The manual doesn't say whether these must be TRS cables or can be just TS, but seeing as they are mono I assume TS should be fine (unless I'm missing something w/r/t the use of TS vs TRS cables), and I would connect the 1/4" out from here to an effects unit. I cannot say whether the bottom left pins connection to the 1/4" jacks in the rear work in the other direction, as I have not tried going in through the 1/4" jacks to those pins.

Whether these count as "insert outs" or they are just regular instrument outs, I don't know but perhaps Halfgeleider can say. But if they are "insert outs" then presumably the P23 would also have insert inputs, as AFAIK when a device supports inserts it's a I/O loop. In short, I don't know how one would implement an insert loop with the P23 *.

My earlier reply to lordymosh affirmed my experience that the 1/8" jacks & pins section on the P23 upper left does work to route sound out from the P23 to Eurorack gear, as well as in from Eurorack gear to the P23, though of course for any one connection you can only route the signal in one direction.

Finally, my reply to Rost + Licht was meant to clarify that the exchange between Halfgeleider and me about insert outs on the Perfourmer did not, as I understood it, have any bearing on the topic of Eurorack to P23 connections by means of the pins & 1/8" jacks in the upper left. Rost + Licht mentioned trying "Bd->out 1><Bitrman (with insert cable)" and this to me suggests two things: (1) connecting the BD out to one of the pins in the lower left, going out through one of the 1/4" jacks with an insert cable, and then (2) attempting to return the signal back to the P23 through the same 1/4" jack from which the signal was routed to the Bitrman effects unit. As to (1), out to the Bitrman should work, assuming the Bitrman accepts P23/Eurorack level signals. As to (2), this definitely should not work because the original signal is emanating from the P23, so the signal from the Bitrman should be coming in to the P23 by another jack; it remains to be confirmed whether the connection between the pins in the lower left and the 1/4" jacks in the back support input from the jacks to the pins, or whether the signal can only flow from the pins to the jacks in that section, but in any case they do not work both ways at the same time.

I hope that makes everything clear to everyone.

---

* — Maybe out through the lower left pins, through the 1/4" jacks in back, into an effects unit and back in through the 1/8" jacks?

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:39 am

Halfgeleider wrote:
{SNIP}

Doesn't matter line or eurorack level i think, the vermona stuff has dedicated " insert outs" that let you put an effect or effectschain on a voice before it is been sent to the stereo out.
One last thing. I have attached an image of a TRS-Dual TRS 'Y' insert cable. Is this the kind that you use with the Vermona Perfourmer?
Halfgeleider wrote:

{SNIP}

Welcome to the club! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:22 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:39 am
Halfgeleider wrote:
{SNIP}

Doesn't matter line or eurorack level i think, the vermona stuff has dedicated " insert outs" that let you put an effect or effectschain on a voice before it is been sent to the stereo out.
One last thing. I have attached an image of a TRS-Dual TRS 'Y' insert cable. Is this the kind that you use with the Vermona Perfourmer?
Halfgeleider wrote:

{SNIP}

Welcome to the club! ;)
I use a snake cable which holds 4 TRS Y cables, stereo TRS to 2x mono jack. So i can patch all 4 voices of the perfourmer in one snake cable to my effects.
Thomann product : the sssnake YPP4050

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:10 am

Halfgeleider wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:22 am
metamorphmuses wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:39 am
Halfgeleider wrote:
{SNIP}

Halfgeleider wrote:

{SNIP}

Welcome to the club! ;)
I use a snake cable which holds 4 TRS Y cables, stereo TRS to 2x mono jack. So i can patch all 4 voices of the perfourmer in one snake cable to my effects.
Thomann product : the sssnake YPP4050
Definitely will check that out for the Perfourmer. Thanks! :tu:

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:54 am

LameAim wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:01 pm
NoLegs wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 pm
Honestly, as someone who loves the Pulsar and has had it for over a year:

If you want a normal drum machine, look elsewhere.
Yep, this. I had one for a while earlier this year thinking that I was really gonna lean into the weirdness, ended up not working out but no regrets.

If you're looking for a drum machine that'll do standard stuff but can still get pretty weird if you want it to, you should consider an Analog Rytm.
Actually, I think that the Pulsar and the Rytm could be the best combo ever to cover so many drums.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Carmelo_P82 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:54 am
LameAim wrote:
NoLegs wrote:

Yep, this. I had one for a while earlier this year thinking that I was really gonna lean into the weirdness, ended up not working out but no regrets.

If you're looking for a drum machine that'll do standard stuff but can still get pretty weird if you want it to, you should consider an Analog Rytm.
Actually, I think that the Pulsar and the Rytm could be the best combo ever to cover so many drums.
Yeah, they'd be a pretty awesome pair. Would be even better if the Rytm had independent MIDI tracks.

Octatrack would be great as well - multiple MIDI tracks to sequence the Pulsar with, build and remix layers on the fly, mix and match your own samples to taste, etc.

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 pm

LameAim wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:24 pm
Carmelo_P82 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:54 am
LameAim wrote:
NoLegs wrote:

Yeah, they'd be a pretty awesome pair. Would be even better if the Rytm had independent MIDI tracks.

Octatrack would be great as well - multiple MIDI tracks to sequence the Pulsar with, build and remix layers on the fly, mix and match your own samples to taste, etc.
Exactly my plan :-)

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 am

As far as playing drums goes; nothing beats the MPC immediacy for me. Ofc it takes some degree of getting used to it and straight up learning finger drumming (which can be countered with the note repeat function), but you will be rewarded with much more alive feeling drums then with robotical on the grid programming.
Alot of the funk with the MPC comes from not just frsntical played Hits but especially the silence you can leave in between them, and then rolling into the next heavy drumming phase.

If you want to get it very tight the Polyend Tracker might be a good look. You can have all the rolls, chance based and whatever thingamajig with much more overview then the Octa, or any xox Type programming honestly. It's the moment you realize how Autechre or Aphex Twin got their rhythmic structures this tight. It's strange really but it makes very good for strong minimalistic gestures that can repeat over a whole track, while having other tracks going absolute bonkers to the left, right and on top.

Another one that pairs very well with any drum machine, but perfect with heavily open ones in terms of sound altering like the Pulsar, is the max for live software Strokes. It's this kind of software that makes you realize that every hardware device is kind of nonsensical in terms of musical outcome.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm

I just put in a preorder for a white one... Im excited to pair this up with the new ISLA S2400. I think its gonna be a pretty stoopid combination, esp w/the ‘classic’ sp1200 sampling rate mode... I forsee a lotta filthy & downright mean & nasty grooves :guinness:

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm
I just put in a preorder for a white one... Im excited to pair this up with the new ISLA S2400. I think its gonna be a pretty stoopid combination, esp w/the ‘classic’ sp1200 sampling rate mode... I forsee a lotta filthy & downright mean & nasty grooves :guinness:
I have been tempted to get an ISLA 2400 and undertake this very pairing, but I really can't justify the expense (my finances being what they are at the moment). Still, that would indeed be a deliciously evil marriage of two powerhouse machines. Please post links to whatever media you produce with them when you get the 2400.

Return to “General Gear”