Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Europe

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by WarpHead » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:07 pm

I HAVE to stay out of this thread. Not because it's bad - it's great! - but the GAS is real, and the Friday evening beers are making it all the more dangerous. :guinness:
Don't believe the hype.

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4285
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi5 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm
Finally placed my order! Years in the making so the 6 week lead time will be an easy one to wait for.
Congrats, epic piece of gear! :cloud:

Waldemar

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Waldemar » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 am

Hello Muffs,

i'm also interested for the Modular Channel.
Do you use the Modular Channel between the eurorack and speaker?
I ask because this will be my goal to use.
I was also thinking to buy an EQ in the beginning of the chain for the low frequencies but i'm not sure.

Thank you for help and answer.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:01 pm

I haven't experimented with routings really, I have it set up as an insert in Ableton Live but I don't why it couldn't manage modular levels. You can scale in the input the gain knobs and the input knob.

However the output can get really loud so maybe not the best idea to connect the speakers directly to it. There can be big jumps in volume especially when you bypass the unit.
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
winn3r
Common Wiggler
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 am
Location: NYC

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by winn3r » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Yup mine handles synths without a problem. +there is an EQ at the beginning (2 band shelving)

Here is a more recent demo someone shared on the GS thread. Synths example at the end:

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Oh nice that a more comprehensive demo is out ! I was thinking of trying to do one myself.
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:26 pm

Blasting the Alphabase through the Overstayer Modular Channel. I had a ton of fun blasting a few patterns at nearly 140bpm :)
The make up gain is unity at 0 and goes to... 10 🤯. I was barely at 2 here.

instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2274
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:34 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by VanEck » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:26 pm
Blasting the Alphabase through the Overstayer Modular Channel. I had a ton of fun blasting a few patterns at nearly 140bpm :)
The make up gain is unity at 0 and goes to... 10 🤯. I was barely at 2 here.

yeah, there is so much headroom in those gain stages. grooving techno. gave you a follow on insta
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:01 am

Thanks ! The different gain staging points + all the headroom available is seriously amazing.
I had a friend bring some stems of his he had already mixed and was quite happy with yesterday; I explained him the signal flow and let him tweak for half an hour, at the end the result was night and day... it felt like you were listening to the original version with a garbage can over you head compared to the one that went through the Overstayer.
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
Val
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Val » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 am

^ Hey, you again, how did you ordered one, since you're French too ? : )
This could be the all in 1 super end-of-mix box
since it has some inputs it can act as a summing mixer too?
WTB: XAOC: Batumi + Poti
DIY kits (panel+pcb): NTO, DUSG, VCFS
DOEPFER: A-160-2

check out my rac

User avatar
winn3r
Common Wiggler
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 am
Location: NYC

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by winn3r » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm

It won't be a summing mixer (the top leftmost switch selects the input source) but definitely works great on a mix bus :tu:

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:42 am

Val wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 am
^ Hey, you again, how did you ordered one, since you're French too ? : )
This could be the all in 1 super end-of-mix box
since it has some inputs it can act as a summing mixer too?
I got it from Floating Point Audio in Paris. They are very nice and are among the few stocking Overstayer products. Usually they don't have the Modular Channel in stock and you have to order and wait 4-6 weeks but I was lucky and got mine from someone who cancelled his order.

You can't use it as a summing mixer but it's amazing on the mix bus .
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
Val
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Val » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:10 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:42 am
Val wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 am
^ Hey, you again, how did you ordered one, since you're French too ? : )
This could be the all in 1 super end-of-mix box
since it has some inputs it can act as a summing mixer too?
I got it from Floating Point Audio in Paris. They are very nice and are among the few stocking Overstayer products. Usually they don't have the Modular Channel in stock and you have to order and wait 4-6 weeks but I was lucky and got mine from someone who cancelled his order.

You can't use it as a summing mixer but it's amazing on the mix bus .
Oh okay, saw them at Floating Point but didn't noticed it was parisian. Cool!
I'll check your insta, also, seems to be nice.
Okay, I have a motu soundcard with the great ESS chips anyway, so summing isn't a priority, coloring the mix or processing a synth on the other hand ...
One day maybe
WTB: XAOC: Batumi + Poti
DIY kits (panel+pcb): NTO, DUSG, VCFS
DOEPFER: A-160-2

check out my rac

User avatar
scrumbo mcgrumbo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:21 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by scrumbo mcgrumbo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm

I made these sound demos of synths and stuff going through the modular channel. Just played a midi loop and thumbed through most of the knobs, taking the modular channel through different possibilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
x2mirko
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm
Location: Aachen, Germany

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by x2mirko » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 am

Ordered one about four weeks ago and the wait is killing me. Your awesome demos aren't helping :D

At least it shouldn't be too long now...

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Working he Alphabase by itself through the Overstayer

instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Experimenting with the comp & the eq, playing with the wet/dry. I can't put into words how much I love this box

instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Location: EU/UK

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Portabella » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am

hows the overstayer compared to a culture vulture let's say?

User avatar
Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 am
Location: Moscow

Re:

Post by Tajnost » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 pm

scrumbo mcgrumbo wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:38 pm
I uploaded 5 Wave 24 bit examples of things being processed by the Modular Channel to my google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Sorry if the levels are all over the place, but it's hard to keep even when dramatically tweaking.

Let me know if you have more requests.
Lovely sound examples, thanks!

;)

Wondering, maybe there's something "similar" in software world?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by slumberjack » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 pm

Portabella wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
hows the overstayer compared to a culture vulture let's say?
The MC is a filter > EQ > compressor while the CV is a valve distortion unit with a HP filter at the end to cut the low end.
So one of them is obviously more versatile than the other but this doesn't say anything about the how one likes how it sounds...

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm

It's my only piece of gear like that so I can't compare either...
In software Decapitator is great but it's nothing like the Modular Channel really.

Here's a new little loop with everything going through the MC :

instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Location: EU/UK

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Portabella » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 pm
Portabella wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
hows the overstayer compared to a culture vulture let's say?
The MC is a filter > EQ > compressor while the CV is a valve distortion unit with a HP filter at the end to cut the low end.
So one of them is obviously more versatile than the other but this doesn't say anything about the how one likes how it sounds...
sorry, should of specified my questions. I was asking solely in terms of distortion. obvs. there's no valves in the MC .. since it's analog I assume it's getting its distortion from transistors?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by slumberjack » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 am

Portabella wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 pm
Portabella wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
hows the overstayer compared to a culture vulture let's say?
The MC is a filter > EQ > compressor while the CV is a valve distortion unit with a HP filter at the end to cut the low end.
So one of them is obviously more versatile than the other but this doesn't say anything about the how one likes how it sounds...
sorry, should of specified my questions. I was asking solely in terms of distortion. obvs. there's no valves in the MC .. since it's analog I assume it's getting its distortion from transistors?
AFAIK there are a different ways to distort, overdrive and saturate in various stages of the MC's signal path. I read the manual now but it doesn't say much about what's going on behind the panel.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat May 08, 2021 5:02 pm

Running the Jomox Alphabase through the Modular Channel... and then running it a second time for good measure.

instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

User avatar
wminor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:37 pm
Location: San Francisco, but also Nando's

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by wminor » Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:02 pm
Running the Jomox Alphabase through the Modular Channel... and then running it a second time for good measure.

I already have the Overstayer Modular Channel, but these videos you keep posting are really making me want an AlphaBase to pair with it! I already have Analog Rytm and DSI Tempest though so I can't really justify it!

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”