Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

SmokyClap wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am
Same company makes a mono version that offers slightly pared down versions of all the same features for around $1,400. Search Overstayer Imperial Channel. Sounds like you’re looking for a stereo device, though.
yea definitely needs to be stereo.
visible cow wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
If software is ok I would highly recommend Soundtoyz Decapitator. Otherwise maybe keep an eye out for an Overstayer ID-4. That OTO machines box looks nice too but I'm not personally in love with the interface (saying this as a BAM owner).
I ended up going this route for now, except w/ fab filter plugins. I spent the extra cash on a better audio interface so that i can process multiple stereo channels separately, which has given me a lot of ideas. thanks for the suggestion, it has been very satisfying.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am

inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am
I ended up going this route for now, except w/ fab filter plugins. I spent the extra cash on a better audio interface so that i can process multiple stereo channels separately, which has given me a lot of ideas. thanks for the suggestion, it has been very satisfying.
If you decide to look at hardware again in the future, Overstayer's Stereo Voltage Control would fit your criteria. It has a Harmonics switch for saturation, and it is an excellent stereo VCA compressor on the mixdown buss or sub-mixes. Seems to fit your description, since you said you didn't need the EQ and filtering.

Another option would be Louder Than Liftoff. Their Chroma+ is in the $1,500 price range and offers preamp coloration, as well as slots for Colour Modules to customize your unit. They make a great 1176 compressor Colour Module that would work in there, though it has limited control over the settings. You can even slot in tube or transformer saturation modules.

I was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am

Jason Brock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am
If you decide to look at hardware again in the future, Overstayer's Stereo Voltage Control would fit your criteria. It has a Harmonics switch for saturation, and it is an excellent stereo VCA compressor on the mixdown buss or sub-mixes. Seems to fit your description, since you said you didn't need the EQ and filtering.

Another option would be Louder Than Liftoff. Their Chroma+ is in the $1,500 price range and offers preamp coloration, as well as slots for Colour Modules to customize your unit. They make a great 1176 compressor Colour Module that would work in there, though it has limited control over the settings. You can even slot in tube or transformer saturation modules.

I was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

man those all sound great, i especially like the idea of the Chroma+, i'll have to look into what is available for this. Added all them to the research list. thanks for the suggestions! I plan to circle back to the hardware options eventually.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
i was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

Nice! If you ever want to get rid of it just give a holler!
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 am

Bumping this thread since I have some questions. I'm looking for something mainly to soften the transients + add very subtle saturation/coloring on ITB drums (eg. I really mean subtle, not like the YT demos of people cranking 808s through sherman filterbanks etc.) There's only a single demo I could find of electronic drums being run through it, and it sounds great when he engages the filter but it looks like dude has the highs cranked on it and then he devolves into pushing it into feedback. I imagine with more reasonable settings, this would sound great on drums from my DAW. I like that it has an lpf as well, which I think will go a long way towards making my drums less "sharp".

Is the overstayer modular what I'm looking for? I'm essentially looking for something to help me "round" out/attenuate sharp transients from digital drum samples and impart a bit of analog saturation/"coloring". I don't have any hardware outboard rn, this would likely be my first and only one, and it doesn't hurt that it seems to do a lot at once.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am

6667 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 am
Bumping this thread since I have some questions. I'm looking for something mainly to soften the transients + add very subtle saturation/coloring on ITB drums (eg. I really mean subtle, not like the YT demos of people cranking 808s through sherman filterbanks etc.) There's only a single demo I could find of electronic drums being run through it, and it sounds great when he engages the filter but it looks like dude has the highs cranked on it and then he devolves into pushing it into feedback. I imagine with more reasonable settings, this would sound great on drums from my DAW. I like that it has an lpf as well, which I think will go a long way towards making my drums less "sharp".

Is the overstayer modular what I'm looking for? I'm essentially looking for something to help me "round" out/attenuate sharp transients from digital drum samples and impart a bit of analog saturation/"coloring". I don't have any hardware outboard rn, this would likely be my first and only one, and it doesn't hurt that it seems to do a lot at once.

I'd say no, it's not what you are looking for. This machine is designed to be pretty much the opposite. Sure, you can dial in the compressor to soften up some percussion, and just remove the compression circuit from the saturation path altogether. But you'd essentially be buying a $2,500 machine and only using it for a fraction of what it can do, and not really taking advantage of it's most prominent features. Not sure why you would want to do that when there are other devices out there aimed for subtle warmth and mild saturation and "softening" material. This machine is meant to be utilized for more destructive territories. At a guess, I'd think maybe something like the SSL Fusion might be more catered to your needs. It costs about the same and seems to cater toward what you are looking for.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:22 am

VanEck wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am
6667 wrote:

I'd say no, it's not what you are looking for. This machine is designed to be pretty much the opposite. Sure, you can dial in the compressor to soften up some percussion, and just remove the compression circuit from the saturation path altogether. But you'd essentially be buying a $2,500 machine and only using it for a fraction of what it can do, and not really taking advantage of it's most prominent features. Not sure why you would want to do that when there are other devices out there aimed for subtle warmth and mild saturation and "softening" material. This machine is meant to be utilized for more destructive territories. At a guess, I'd think maybe something like the SSL Fusion might be more catered to your needs. It costs about the same and seems to cater toward what you are looking for.
Appreciate the info-- SSL fusion just seems a bit limited to be honest, I don't really get the logic behind adding a stereo image section to a unit specifically made to cater to "hybrid" ITB/OTB studios as there's literally countless ways to widening a mix ITB. It's also missing the filters of the modular channel, this seems very much like a box that people just have sitting over an entire mix to set and forget for the most part.

I suppose my initial post is a bit vague.. Truth is I do like that the overstayer can go into extreme territory, and while I don't think I'll be going that far very often, I like that there is so much control over how far you want to go with the filtering/saturation/compression. The compressor on the overstayer sounds really great at more tame settings too (:50 secs):

Funny how there's just no demos of someone doing a filter sweep without maxing out the resonance :despair: :despair: :despair:

bobbylandry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bobbylandry » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am

6667 wrote:

Overstayer also makes the MAS which does exactly what you're described.

"The Overstayer M-A-S gives you the harmonic character and peak rounding of classic recording and mixing chains in a simple, highly controllable rack-mount unit."

https://overstayer-inc.squarespace.com/m-a-s

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 am

VanEck wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am
6667 wrote:

I must say I somewhat disagree. Sure, it does destruction very well, but it does beautiful, soft textures/vibes/color whatever you want to call it, just as well. labelling it as a destruction box would, IMO, be a mistake, at least to me. There's so many ways to use this thing, and so many ways to add warmth, texture and movement when working with it. You want distortion? sure, that's easy. You want it more soft? easy as well, just dial it a bit back.

I guess its all a matter of taste. I use mine for gentle sounds as much as I use it for destruction, and in my experience, what it adds to the table is not tailored towards one thing or the other. Its just an overall incredible tool for shaping audio, limiting movement, creating movement, adding hair and vibe or completely destroy stuff.

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 am

bobbylandry wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am
6667 wrote:

Overstayer also makes the MAS which does exactly what you're described.

"The Overstayer M-A-S gives you the harmonic character and peak rounding of classic recording and mixing chains in a simple, highly controllable rack-mount unit."

https://overstayer-inc.squarespace.com/m-a-s
Thanks for the rec, will check it out. If anyone has one and can comment on how the M-A-S is, please do.. This really does look like it does more or less precisely what I was looking for lol

Edit: Yeah I really quite like how this sounds at around 3:15 when the mix is at around 50%, even though it is still far past the point of being "subtle". Thinking back and forth on all this, the utilitarian in me is telling me to just continuing using itb transient shapers, buy soundtoys decapitator and move on lol...

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:37 pm

I need to stop looking at the FS section here and finally order one of these
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by drowld » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

flo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 am
Paranormal Patroler wrote:I've been lusting over the stereo version but it seems you have to order directly from the states. No dealers in EU.
Funky Junk carries some Overstayer stuff, but they don't list the Modular Channel. I suppose you could ask them about it if you want them to import it for you.

I've got a Stereo Voltage Control and I absolutely love it! The Modular Channel sure is tempting, but I want to try a MAS first...

Cheers :guinness:
Did you ended up with one ? :)
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

flo
Space Jack

Re: Re:

Post by flo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:56 am

drowld wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm
flo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 am
Paranormal Patroler wrote:I've been lusting over the stereo version but it seems you have to order directly from the states. No dealers in EU.
Funky Junk carries some Overstayer stuff, but they don't list the Modular Channel. I suppose you could ask them about it if you want them to import it for you.

I've got a Stereo Voltage Control and I absolutely love it! The Modular Channel sure is tempting, but I want to try a MAS first...

Cheers :guinness:
Did you ended up with one ? :)
Not yet, but it's still planned. I just need to decide whether I want the stepped or potentiometer version... :hmm:

jobinho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jobinho » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 am

How is the Saturation CV OUT on this thing, I can't envisage its utility. The lack of filter CV OUT makes me question buying it... seems like an omission but can't please all, I know :waah:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:28 am

Thinking more and more about getting this. I finally have a dedicated (small) room for a studio and want to get one good versatile piece of outboard. I was dead set on the Silver Bullet but then I remembered I love tweaking things and the modular channel seems to be very deep. Also far more complete for the price than the SB, and the the fact that you can have everything in parrallel seems so useful. Still not 100% decided on dropping that kind of money on a piece of gear, but I think I could really use this :
instagram
dc11 x Resilience 1h live stream of improvised deep techno.
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:40 am

I have one. It's expensive, sure. But well worth the money. This has been my go-to gear to spice things up or just breathe some life into flat sounding synths/plugins. Lovely piece of kit that I'll probably never part with. Can ooze character, but can be subtle too.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 pm

How does this handle synths / modular?

It sounds fantastic on drums - the filters sound saucey, too.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:39 pm

Love mine on everything.. can never decide if I want it first on my FX chain or on the mix bus, so may just get a second soon :hihi:

gregtronic
Common Wiggler

Post by gregtronic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 pm
How does this handle synths / modular?

It sounds fantastic on drums - the filters sound saucey, too.
Really well. It's the heart of my studio and the modular is always going through it before it goes into the DAW. It's a great final stage to do all your EQ'ing clean up, compression, final saturation, etc. I use the mic-preamps all the time which sound phenomenal. Basically everything I record is at some point going to run through the modular channel, whether it began ITB or OTB. And I also have to disagree with a previous statement made in this thread about it not being good for subtle stuff. It absolutely is great for subtle stuff. The MAS saturation is as subtle as it gets but can be just what something needs to bring it alive. And I'll absolutely use it to destroy things as well but it is far from a one-trick pony.
WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi MKI or MKII and Feedback Multi Dimension

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:38 am

6667 wrote:
Is the overstayer modular what I'm looking for?
It’s definitely not!
You might look into something like a Culture Vulture or HG-2 Black Box

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:54 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 am
Just dicovered this thing via this video :
Ahah almost a year to the day after I became aware of this box and after countless hours spent reading stuff here and there I finally ordered one. Actually I was once again casually strolling the Floating Point Audio webstore when I saw that they had the non-mic version in stock... which 110% never happens AND it's the version I wanted. So I bought it. This will be my first (and probably last for a long while) rack gear. I am SO stocked.

It should be there super quick, will report back after some use.
instagram

soundsubs
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsubs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 pm

I've been similarly running EVERYTHING through the Modular Channel on the way in to be recorded, and as noted it can be subtle or destroy the signal with saturation like nothing else. I am currently working on running individual drum hits through it to MPC.... exactly what they need.
My Captain Obvious Prediction: You're gonna love it!

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 am

Agree that this is a versatile box and can do gentle or ridiculous equally well.

I also have a Silver Bullet which is also amazing. Much simpler and faster to dial in what you want and has a beautiful EQ too.

I will never sell either of them. They are like magic on any source.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 pm

drxcm wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 am
I also have a Silver Bullet which is also amazing. Much simpler and faster to dial in what you want and has a beautiful EQ too.
I was semi hesitating between the two but in the end I went with the one with the most functionalities and with the most "tweakable" aspect. I love turning knobs.

So I received it this morning ... damn this thing is beautiful. I ran a few loops/tracks in progress and tweaked for the better part of the afternoon, also ran the Alphabase straight into it for a little workout. On full mixes it's extremely powerful with proper gainstaging not to overpower everything. I was blown away ! I can't wait to run more stuff through it and also dig into the more subtle aspects and discover each part more in depth.

I have it set up as an external instrument in Live 10, maybe also need to put a cable between an out from my interface and the SC input so I can send whichever signal so the sidechain. I also don't have the right cables but I was thinking of putting the Elisya X-Filter as an insert; the EQ sound quite different at first listen. What do you guys/gals have on send return ?

Gratuitous pic :

instagram

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm

Finally placed my order! Years in the making so the 6 week lead time will be an easy one to wait for.

Return to “General Gear”