Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
urogijani
Common Wiggler

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by urogijani »

Hello. I am just into purchasing one of these beasts :) However I can't decide which version to buy. Is there somebody who had the opportunity to try out both ? Is there a big difference in sound mangling capabilities between the two ? I mean is it worth to buy the mic pre one if you do not need mic pres ?
Also curious that is it possible to order directly from Overstayer a personalized version !? With CVs to filter cutoff frequency, etc. ?
I saw in a thread that there is a place for a output transformer on the PCB, so maybe it is possible to order one with that too !? Do someone have a version with an output transformer ?
Thanks so much for the answers !!!
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

I asked Overstayer directly, and they said: it’s not possible to add CV to the filters; and their custom shop for any other mods is temporarily closed due to high demand. Their support folks are very responsive.

I believe the line-only version still allows you to drive the signal through the preamp, so I don’t think the mic press would offer much. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience though.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
triptolemos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by triptolemos »

urogijani wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:09 am Hello. I am just into purchasing one of these beasts :) However I can't decide which version to buy. Is there somebody who had the opportunity to try out both ? Is there a big difference in sound mangling capabilities between the two ? I mean is it worth to buy the mic pre one if you do not need mic pres ?
Also curious that is it possible to order directly from Overstayer a personalized version !? With CVs to filter cutoff frequency, etc. ?
I saw in a thread that there is a place for a output transformer on the PCB, so maybe it is possible to order one with that too !? Do someone have a version with an output transformer ?
I was in the same boat regarding choosing between DM and DS version. I did not really need MIC pre's, but the DM gave me more connection flexibility at the back. Also the DM comes in black with white letters which makes it easier for me to read :mrgreen:
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

triptolemos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:09 am
urogijani wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:09 am Hello. I am just into purchasing one of these beasts :) However I can't decide which version to buy. Is there somebody who had the opportunity to try out both ? Is there a big difference in sound mangling capabilities between the two ? I mean is it worth to buy the mic pre one if you do not need mic pres ?
Also the DM comes in black with white letters which makes it easier for me to read :mrgreen:
You can also get the DS version in black. I agree the white on black is much easier on the eyes :tu:
wminor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wminor »

Stice wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:43 am I believe the line-only version still allows you to drive the signal through the preamp, so I don’t think the mic press would offer much. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience though.
Yep, this is correct. I have the line-only version, and you can switch the input between "line" and "pre", taking signal from the same physical inputs. In "line" mode the signal is very clean, but in "pre" mode you can use the input gain to drive the signal pretty hard. It's great!
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

Just received mine today!
Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut »

induktor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:44 pm Just received mine today!
When did you order?
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

Dragonaut wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:23 pm
induktor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:44 pm Just received mine today!
When did you order?
February 3rd of last year.
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

Oof. I got awhile to wait then
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

tl3ss wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:49 am Oof. I got awhile to wait then
Perhaps the supply chain situation is improving. Hopefully you'll receive yours soon.
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

induktor wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:22 am
Perhaps the supply chain situation is improving. Hopefully you'll receive yours soon.
That would be cool. If not, no worries I can wait longer.
Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut »

induktor wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:22 am
Yeah, I think they didn’t have parts at all for a few months. Hopefully I’m not being too optimistic. Definitely chomping at the bit here.
chaosium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chaosium »

Several months, yes. There were also issues with assembly labor and other logistical aspects beyond supply chain.

I'll wait another few months for my March.
urogijani
Common Wiggler

Post by urogijani »

I ordered one at the end of Novermber. Floating point audio had 8-9 workweek waiting time + the holidays, they told that they order on regular basis directly from Overstayer without a problem. They had written the smallest waiting time I found in the EU. Turnlab wrote in November, that thay have a 12 week waiting time. I hope that they will deliver it on time and should not wait more then it was stated.
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by Modulus »

Unless there is a major improvement in the situation, it's more like a one year wait. At least that seems to be the trend with everyone in this thread. I ordered mine in April 2021 and still no ETA when I reached out to them recently.
induktor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by induktor »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:50 pm just got my tracking #!!
:goo: :sb: :goo:
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

That's a good sign! Thanks for letting us know
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft »

Wow--congratulations. When did you order? When I placed my order in October, they quoted a 14-18 week wait, but with the caveat that they were swamped. I'll be surprised to say the least shocked if it's ready that soon.
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

Hovercraft wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:06 pm
Wow--congratulations. When did you order? When I placed my order in October, they quoted a 14-18 week wait, but with the caveat that they were swamped. I'll be surprised to say the least shocked if it's ready that soon.
I snooped because I was curious. Sometime in March.
chaosium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chaosium »

Nice, I’m early but no contact yet, I’ll expect it soon though.
soundsculptor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soundsculptor »

reading the shipping experiences, I am looking forward to september :eek:
don´t critisize it - equalize it
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

I can now answer the question in the affirmative. I have one. It arrived yesterday.

hold on - it's been a hard day, and want one more glass of wine. Wine fermented from human blood.

i definitely need to learn better how to use gear like this. I'm very far from a recording engineer, and this device seems relatively complex. And there is the temptation to overdo stuff, falling into the trap (at least it is for me) that the more i mutate a sound, the better it sounds, until i realize that the original sounded better....but yeah - i like using instruments (whether acoustic, partially acoustic, or purely electronic) that are good instruments - i like playing them by themselves, and i like ones that sound good. I don't like all the good coming from the processing. So, avoiding the temptation to overdo (which you can really do with this thing) is a bit tough, but i think i'll get there.

the sound seems very natural. Like, wtf, is it doing anything? then i flip the bypass switch, and yup. Dramatic difference.

my biggest issue (which isn't obviously specific to this device) is, in a situation where i can't play too loud, how do i hear just the processed sound if i'm playing an instrument that is fairly loud by itself? Even using earphones, the acoustic sound messes with the pure processed sound. maybe the solution is obvious, and i'm a dumbass (very possible). One solution i've found (just winging it really) is to record some of the unprocessed sound and then play it back through the modular channel, and tweak until i find a good patch. The when playing 'live' avoid the urge to tamper with it too much. but of course, one can learn to extrapolate also....i've just played with pure electric instruments so much these are so new issues for me.

but yeah. fuck. had a strange issue yesterday where somehow it got stuck in bypass. wasn't sure what the issue was, since it hasn't happened since.

one question - why, even if the connections are balanced, don't manufacturers use those combo xlr and 1/4" plugs, so you can use either format?
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:13 pm my biggest issue (which isn't obviously specific to this device) is, in a situation where i can't play too loud, how do i hear just the processed sound if i'm playing an instrument that is fairly loud by itself? Even using earphones, the acoustic sound messes with the pure processed sound. maybe the solution is obvious, and i'm a dumbass (very possible). One solution i've found (just winging it really) is to record some of the unprocessed sound and then play it back through the modular channel, and tweak until i find a good patch. The when playing 'live' avoid the urge to tamper with it too much. but of course, one can learn to extrapolate also....i've just played with pure electric instruments so much these are so new issues for me.
Not sure if I'll answer your question, but if you use the switch at the far right you can hear the processed sounds isolated, like only the compressor, so you can really dial in the effect and then back it up with the parralel knob and bring back the dry / eq sound (top switch)
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:17 am
Nelson Baboon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:13 pm my biggest issue (which isn't obviously specific to this device) is, in a situation where i can't play too loud, how do i hear just the processed sound if i'm playing an instrument that is fairly loud by itself? Even using earphones, the acoustic sound messes with the pure processed sound. maybe the solution is obvious, and i'm a dumbass (very possible). One solution i've found (just winging it really) is to record some of the unprocessed sound and then play it back through the modular channel, and tweak until i find a good patch. The when playing 'live' avoid the urge to tamper with it too much. but of course, one can learn to extrapolate also....i've just played with pure electric instruments so much these are so new issues for me.
Not sure if I'll answer your question, but if you use the switch at the far right you can hear the processed sounds isolated, like only the compressor, so you can really dial in the effect and then back it up with the parralel knob and bring back the dry / eq sound (top switch)
appreciate the tip, but that doesn't really address my question.

Return to “General Gear”