Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
wminor
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by wminor »

stickman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 am Can I join the party? :omg:

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
I've been very curious about those. I have an OMC and so couldn't really justify getting those as well, but they're on my someday-maybe list.

How are you liking them?
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
What are thoses ??
Selling my Soma Pulsar 23, Waldorf microwave XT, Vertices analog filterbank, Alesis wedge,
Erm Multiclock, Hertz donuts mk3, MI stages + more see my 4 sales post
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

drowld wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:57 pm

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
What are thoses ??
Its the modular channels sibling, imperial channel ^^
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

wminor wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:42 pm

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
I've been very curious about those. I have an OMC and so couldn't really justify getting those as well, but they're on my someday-maybe list.

How are you liking them?
It's so incredibly versatile and always sounds good. Love it for:

Acoustic guitar (magnetic + mic either channel)
Electric guitar
Digital synth warmer
Percussion beast mode distortion (lots of gain stages)
Tape-ish emulation (limiter + harmonics)
2bus

I have no idea the differences with MC, except the FET limiter which I really enjoy. Dunno if the preamps are different (which I find brilliant)

The knobs are dense so it can be hard to use precisely.. but at lower settings it's fairly broad strokes anyhow.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

I couldn't find the dimensions of this online. Most specifically - what is its height, and then also - does it need ventilation on the top/bottom?
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
If I remember right these were released right around the same time the Modular Channel was released. They seemed to have been overshadowed by the MC but I've always been curious about how they sound. How are you liking them? Wha are you liking to use them with?
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.

Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about - W.H. Auden
wminor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wminor »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:58 pm I couldn't find the dimensions of this online. Most specifically - what is its height, and then also - does it need ventilation on the top/bottom?
If you're asking about the OMC, it's 2 rack units - I have mine racked without much ventilation around it (flat wooden surface below, and another unit above) and haven't had any trouble, and I don't think the manual mentions ventilation.

The Imperial channels are 4U if I remember correctly.
stickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stickman »

Gringo Starr wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:08 pm

PSX_20211023_144341.jpg
If I remember right these were released right around the same time the Modular Channel was released. They seemed to have been overshadowed by the MC but I've always been curious about how they sound. How are you liking them? Wha are you liking to use them with?
I loves it for acoustic guitar where the individual channels are great (1x for mag pickup and 1x for mic). otherwise I'm mainly using them as a stereo pair, for stems/mix, which is kinda fiddly.

One awesome thing, all of its processors have their own i/o. So you can change the processing chain, or use them all separately.
pianoscope
Common Wiggler

Post by pianoscope »

Prepared piano into overstayer. wish it was mine...

Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

Hopefully I don’t get scolded for asking this but does anyone knows how the softube software version compares to the hardware one? Is it snake oil or does it cover it well (let’s say 80%-ish)?
wminor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wminor »

Jee wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:35 am Hopefully I don’t get scolded for asking this but does anyone knows how the softube software version compares to the hardware one? Is it snake oil or does it cover it well (let’s say 80%-ish)?
I think the Softube plugin is just an emulation of the MAS, rather than the modular channel. No idea how it sounds compared to the MAS since I don't have one of those.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

What is MAS (forgive my ignorance) ? I thought it was an emulation of the modular channel :s
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

wminor wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Jee wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:35 am Hopefully I don’t get scolded for asking this but does anyone knows how the softube software version compares to the hardware one? Is it snake oil or does it cover it well (let’s say 80%-ish)?
I think the Softube plugin is just an emulation of the MAS, rather than the modular channel. No idea how it sounds compared to the MAS since I don't have one of those.
Yes it is. But they added a dropdown that gets deep has some of the same knobs as the MC. Im going to try the demo and see how I get on with it.

I believe the MC has heavier distortion and is more of a tweaks thing (which I like) and the plugin is more of a mixing thing. The plugin is amazing at adding perceived volume. Pretty impressive there.
taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k »

the MAS is a saturation device.. 2nd order, mostly... basically a stereo/dual mono unit .

the modular channel is a full channel strip... amp, EQ, filter, compressor.. with a bunch of wildness (such as the filters)...

two different boxes, concepts, without much overlap:

http://www.overstayeraudio.com/m-a-s

http://www.overstayeraudio.com/modular-channel

Jee wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:16 pm What is MAS (forgive my ignorance) ? I thought it was an emulation of the modular channel :s
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus »

I asked Overstayer for an update on when they would deliver my Modular Channel (ordered and paid for in April).

They said parts are starting to trickle in and they hope to be caught up by Christmas. Not too hopeful on that timeline to be honest but hope it happens.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

Ok i never paid attention that they do other stuff than the modular channel and imperial channel :/
Looks pretty interesting actually!
Maybe worth giving a try to the VST…
Thanks for clarifications taylor12k and for your feedback SingIt.
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

Im trying the vst tonight on a mix. Glad they offer a demo.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

I tried the demo too... and purchased it to benefit from the sale ending today. I can't compare to the hardware version but the VST is very good! Really impressive to smooth out peaks and manage loudness, while coloring nicely the sound. Can be used either subtely or pretty agressively, I found it quite versatile, easy to use and efficient.
I guess the hardware is even better but if I'm 80% there, that works for me at 10% of the price of the hardware version :)
SingIt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingIt »

I tried the demo and I dont think its going to be nearly as aggressive as the MC. The MAS is really subtle and while it really does a great job at making stuff sound louder, it doesnt do what the MC does, which is a lot more (filtering, serious distortion and sound mangling).

I'm going to pass on buying the MAS, even thought I did use a few instances on a mix and its nice. I'm looking for the more aggressive tweakability of the MC.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

Indeed, I had the chance to try the MC of Tumulishroomaroom (he posted a video of his liveset with the MC at the end of his chain in page 6) when i purchased his Digitakt and it can go wild and super agressive indeed. Very impressive range of sounds and clearly not the same purpose than MAS.
I wonder if Softube will release the MC emulation (which might be quite a work...).

I already have a serious vintage sounding mangler (ESL Vertice for instance) that kind of covers what the MC does (to some extent), and I was looking more into something helping me with the mix while coloring sound. MAS does that pretty well. There is a unit available in hardware in stock somewhere, new. I was a bit tempted... went for the VST to keep it more wallet friendly and probably slightly easier to use in my day-to-day DAW productions. But i'll probably consider some Overstayer hardware at some point in time for end of chain live use, that will be probably more convenient than the emulation to have direct tweaking.
Very unique and classy sound.
chaosium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chaosium »

Jee wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm Indeed, I had the chance to try the MC of Tumulishroomaroom (he posted a video of his liveset with the MC at the end of his chain in page 6) when i purchased his Digitakt and it can go wild and super agressive indeed. Very impressive range of sounds and clearly not the same purpose than MAS.
I wonder if Softube will release the MC emulation (which might be quite a work...).

I already have a serious vintage sounding mangler (ESL Vertice for instance) that kind of covers what the MC does (to some extent), and I was looking more into something helping me with the mix while coloring sound. MAS does that pretty well. There is a unit available in hardware in stock somewhere, new. I was a bit tempted... went for the VST to keep it more wallet friendly and probably slightly easier to use in my day-to-day DAW productions. But i'll probably consider some Overstayer hardware at some point in time for end of chain live use, that will be probably more convenient than the emulation to have direct tweaking.
Very unique and classy sound.
Do you mostly use the Vertice on the mix? Or individual tracks.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

OFF TOPIC
(Sorry between the VST thing and this I’m a bit off topic lately)

I use Vertice mostly as creative tool on individual tracks and as an instrument by itself. It does pretty nice stereo stuff but it shines and gives its full potential in mono imho. From soft saturation to extreme distortion, filtering madness, feedback loops and massive dynamic treatment (compression & expansion, side chaining). The VCA has an enormous dynamic range and can be freaking dangerous if you don’t pay attention, especially in expansion mode and/or with cv modulation. But you can control it to taste, just have to start with low amounts of modulation. This thing is a wild beast, still.
chaosium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chaosium »

Jee wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:34 pm OFF TOPIC
(Sorry between the VST thing and this I’m a bit off topic lately)

I use Vertice mostly as creative tool on individual tracks and as an instrument by itself. It does pretty nice stereo stuff but it shines and gives its full potential in mono imho. From soft saturation to extreme distortion, filtering madness, feedback loops and massive dynamic treatment (compression & expansion, side chaining). The VCA has an enormous dynamic range and can be freaking dangerous if you don’t pay attention, especially in expansion mode and/or with cv modulation. But you can control it to taste, just have to start with low amounts of modulation. This thing is a wild beast, still.
Thanks! I'm waiting on both (should receive the MC ehhh by early next year? Vertice whenever it's done) and I love hearing how people use theirs. I like expanding my knowledge of other approaches to an instrument.
Jee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jee »

I love to talk about it and share experience too I can see you’re posting on the dedicated thread, let’s talk there if you want to know more ;)

Return to “General Gear”