Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 am

Thanks, Mark :)

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Virustian » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Recently purchased a neutron and fell in a love - hate relationship with it.
What I love is the price ,the midi clock to lfo, the shape morph, the patch bay expandability and the bang for the bucks modules that you get for 300e.
One S&H, VCO and a slew module could cost you more than the whole synth.
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ,reminds me more of an overdriven EQ with a high Q rather than an aggresive MS20 blast. I think the reason overdrive sounds nasty to many people is the filter. When I bypass the internal filter and route the signal to an external filter module ,suddenly the synth is being transformed to a characterful beast, aggresive but juicy. I tried many workarounds before this conclusion, but I think that the mofatt filter does not have many sweet spots and overdrives the drive-vca stage in an unpleasant way when the resonance is cranked from 10'o clock and above.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Virustian wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm
Recently purchased a neutron and fell in a love - hate relationship with it.
What I love is the price ,the midi clock to lfo, the shape morph, the patch bay expandability and the bang for the bucks modules that you get for 300e.
One S&H, VCO and a slew module could cost you more than the whole synth.
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ,reminds me more of an overdriven EQ with a high Q rather than an aggresive MS20 blast. I think the reason overdrive sounds nasty to many people is the filter. When I bypass the internal filter and route the signal to an external filter module ,suddenly the synth is being transformed to a characterful beast, aggresive but juicy. I tried many workarounds before this conclusion, but I think that the mofatt filter does not have many sweet spots and overdrives the drive-vca stage in an unpleasant way when the resonance is cranked from 10'o clock and above.
Is this still true if you use the patch bay to bypass all of the overdrive stuff and route a clean osc mix directly to the filter, and the filter out directly to the VCA, VCA directly to main out?

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Virustian wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ...
By default, the filter is overdriven. It sounds better if you reduce the signal level going into it. Have you tried patching an attenuator between the oscillators (e.g. Osc Mix) and the filter input, and ideally another one between the filter and the VCA?

That's how I normally use mine, and I bypass the overdrive too; just:

OSC Mix -> ATT1 -> VCF In

VCF1 -> ATT2 -> VCA In (bypassing the Overdrive section)

ATT1 can also be voltage controlled, and despite what it said in the manual, it is not patched from ASSIGN by default - nothing is. I like to set ASSIGN as MOD, and patch it to Shape1 or Shape2, or the filter CV (oddly called Freq Mod) but ATT1 CV is another good candidate.

You can also try patching the Overdrive section between the oscillators and the filter, instead of the first attenuator.
MatriceNeutronforPatchs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndyHornBlower on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Virustian » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 am

Actually I've not tried patching both attenuators to filters I-O , i've tried only patching the input or the output with no satisfying results soundwise, but if I patch osc mix straight to a moog filter, even in high levels of overdrive, the external filter sounds way better. I'll give it a try with your recommendation and post my experience later! Thanks!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:40 am

Very late to the game, I got myself a Neutron. I expected it to be good considering the price but it's good, period. And great considering the price. Feels sturdy, fun to patch, edgy sound. I really like it.

Fantastic starting point for anyone who's looking at getting into modular synths.
I made this techno remix of an ambient/downtempo track. 🧉

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:38 pm

lisa wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:40 am
Very late to the game, I got myself a Neutron. I expected it to be good considering the price but it's good, period. And great considering the price. Feels sturdy, fun to patch, edgy sound. I really like it.

Fantastic starting point for anyone who's looking at getting into modular synths.
As previously mentioned, patch the attenuators before the filter and bypass the distortion and delay if you want a clean yet still punchy sound....
And yes indeed, great intro to the world of modular. Not keen on its envelope, but the filter and oscillators could teach a thing or two to even the best eurorack modules designers out there.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am

Chopper wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:38 pm
lisa wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:40 am

As previously mentioned, patch the attenuators before the filter and bypass the distortion and delay if you want a clean yet still punchy sound....
And yes indeed, great intro to the world of modular. Not keen on its envelope, but the filter and oscillators could teach a thing or two to even the best eurorack modules designers out there.
Looks like I'll land myself one in a package deal soon.
Which modules are deemed absolutely essential to go with the Neutron? Would like to add a tiny box to it and treat it as a stand alone voice (externally sequenced).
Gaun Yersel!

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am
Which modules are deemed absolutely essential to go with the Neutron? Would like to add a tiny box to it and treat it as a stand alone voice (externally sequenced).
Just add a few passive attenuators and maybe a passive multi.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Good question. I have a big case to go with it but I don't know if I'd say that any addition is essential; it's a great voice on its own. If I where to add only a few modules I'd go for modulation, mainly LFOs.

atlaspark1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atlaspark1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 pm

I have both a Neutron and a Mother-32. I recently added a small "utility" box that has a passive mult, Tool-Box, MISO, Ultrafold, and an ES-8 for connecting with Bitwig for additional modulation. Greatly expanded what I can do with these two semi-modulars.

DonovanDwyer
Common Wiggler

Post by DonovanDwyer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Anyone using this with the DFAM? Seems like they could fill in the gaps for each other.

Jon MacheeeN Boi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jon MacheeeN Boi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:24 am

Sup guys. Does anyone know if the mults on the Neutron are powered or passive? I assume / hope they are powered but have this sneaky feeling they might not be. I can't find an answer anywhere and don't have the ability to be able to check. Thanks!
A newb with the itch and a bit of gear.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:22 am

Jon MacheeeN Boi wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:24 am
Sup guys. Does anyone know if the mults on the Neutron are powered or passive? I assume / hope they are powered but have this sneaky feeling they might not be. I can't find an answer anywhere and don't have the ability to be able to check. Thanks!
Wazaaaaaaap.

“Tracks input voltage upto a maxiumum of 9.5 V”, as the manual states. Same for both mult outs. :tu:
Gaun Yersel!

yalivec
Common Wiggler

Post by yalivec » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 am

Hi all.
Want to share with you my new generative polyphonic patch built on sequences of Behringer Neutron and Make Noise Telharmonic with light modulations of Mutable Instruments Plaits. Hope you will like.
Better to listen with headphones. More explanations on YouTube.

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am

Nice, yalivec. Subscribed to your YT channel.

Jazzman
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazzman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:16 am

Best addition to my neutron was a black panel overlay. :)

yalivec
Common Wiggler

Post by yalivec » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 pm

DCDanno wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am
Nice, yalivec. Subscribed to your YT channel.
:sb: wow! thanks a lot!

Ricochet
Common Wiggler

Post by Ricochet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:16 am

I wonder, what forever yesterday people,
who still think that everything from Behringer is totally xxx,
would say about this...?!
:hmm: :hmm:
sailing away with the first winds of the new day !

Katherine Alicia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Katherine Alicia » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 am

lisa wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:32 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Good question. I have a big case to go with it but I don't know if I'd say that any addition is essential; it's a great voice on its own. If I where to add only a few modules I'd go for modulation, mainly LFOs.
Yup, and a few extra mults and attenuverters, I use the built in Att between the mixer and VCF because the Sqr wave is way too hot going in, that leaves you without any for other stuff, maybe something like a baby8 sequencer would be a neat addon too :)
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

Jazzman
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazzman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:12 am

Ricochet wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:16 am

I wonder, what forever yesterday people,
who still think that everything from Behringer is totally xxx,
would say about this...?!
:hmm: :hmm:
I would say that its the artist who uses whatever tools that are available to create art.

An artist such as Jack White can create art stringing a 2x4 and placing a pickup on it.

Guitar players have a saying that tone is in the fingers. Guitar players who don't yet have those "fingers" will spend multiple thousands of dollars chasing tone, when all they need to do is practice their craft.

Circuits in the Neutron are well known, nothing new was created and the build quality is lacking.

I only purchased one because they were $200 new at one time, hence the poor built quality. You get what you pay for.

Signed, forever yesterday person. :mrgreen:

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:18 pm

Jazzman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:12 am
I only purchased one because they were $200 new at one time, hence the poor built quality. You get what you pay for.
What exactly is your issue with the build quality?

Build quality on mine is perfectly fine, I was pleasantly surprised tbh. Couldn't fault it in that department at all.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

Jazzman
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazzman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:23 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:18 pm
Jazzman wrote:
What exactly is your issue with the build quality?

Build quality on mine is perfectly fine, I was pleasantly surprised tbh. Couldn't fault it in that department at all.
Jacks suck.

There is one poster here who reported failures just by leaving patch cords plugged into cheap jacks.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Jazzman wrote:

Circuits in the Neutron are well known, nothing new was created and the build quality is lacking.

Nice bashing attempt, but you could at least bring a credible argument...
The 3340 oscs? Yeah. Used this way? Nope. Never.
That filter circuitry is new. Odd even.
I could carry on but obviously you made up your mind, based on the usual anti Behringer mentality (I presume). If you wanna bring to the table their dubious ethic or whatever, then be my guest, but going on about the only monosynth they did where some thought have been involved, and where the build quality is as good or better than some other big players is simply ridiculous.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:24 am

Jazzman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:23 pm
Jacks suck.

There is one poster here who reported failures just by leaving patch cords plugged into cheap jacks.
Well, one person having issues with one unit isn't very definitive proof of anything. Are the jacks actually of poor quality?

Return to “General Gear”