Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight »

I can say it's a pretty cool box, not built like a tank but the sliders feel strongs
Klangzaun
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Post by Klangzaun »

Have this machine a few days. I love it so far.

Just uploaded a performance of 32 patches. You can get it for free via the Tasty Chips website.
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

Kind of a quiet thread of an interesting looking piece of gear. Either you guys are too busy using it to post or this hasn't reached many people yet. On the previous page a few of you mentioned that you ordered one or you had just gotten it. How are you getting along with it now that you've had it for a while?

Also, can the pitch knob increase and decrease pitch without affecting the speed?
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.

Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about - W.H. Auden
tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim »

Gringo Starr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:32 am Kind of a quiet thread of an interesting looking piece of gear. Either you guys are too busy using it to post or this hasn't reached many people yet.
Yeah I've been thinking the same. Maybe people just aren't that sold on granular or granular is a bit niche? Or those that are prefer software? Where there are lots of options.
earx
Common Wiggler

Post by earx »

The user group op facebook is quite active these days..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/141549229871409
funeralcake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by funeralcake »

tioJim wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:12 am
Gringo Starr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:32 am Kind of a quiet thread of an interesting looking piece of gear. Either you guys are too busy using it to post or this hasn't reached many people yet.
Yeah I've been thinking the same. Maybe people just aren't that sold on granular or granular is a bit niche? Or those that are prefer software? Where there are lots of options.
I can only speak for myself, but I'd love to have this thing. A dedicated hardware granular synth is a dream come true for me, so I've been aware of this product for years. It's just that this product is way beyond my comfort zone, financially speaking. As expensive as modular is, it's something some people can at least afford to buy in installments. It's a lot more of a stretch for a lot of people (especially hobbyists with unremarkable, low-wage hourly jobs) to drop around a grand all at once for a single piece of gear, even if saving up for it. I've almost taken the plunge a few times, but always held back because it's just too much money for me to spend all at once on a hobbyist's "toy".

This is not really related, but I couldn't believe someone had one listed on Reverb recently for a bit less than the normal price because they "got it as a gift and didn't want it" (paraphrasing, according to their description)... Who the fuck is getting this sort of thing as a "gift" and just selling it off like nothing? Moby?

I don't know if it's still available. I have the GR-1 saved in my Reverb feed, but I don't have the cash to spend on it right now, so I haven't bothered to follow that listing.
"muff" is not a four-letter word.
stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum »

Does anyone find selecting patches as weird as I do? Each performance has 32 patches in it and you can only select those 32 patches without having to go back in the file structure, right? The 'performance' idea is an odd choice to have to select patches. I don't understand why they didn't make this a little more straight forward to select patches. It's like a computer file structure, where you go into one folder and have to go into another and so forth. I definitely don't like that as much as I do something like a DSI Pro 2 where you can turn a knob and it changes the patch immediately. The interface is my one complaint as I feel it's somewhat of a learning curve. Editing the other parameters in the menus is fine for me, like other synths. But I find pressing the 'knob' instead of a button odd for me to select a patch. I need to read the manual to understand the whole hierarchy of it.

I find the GR-1 sounding utterly superb. It's interesting because it does granular, which is a more modern form of synthesis. But this synth has a really Hi-Fi 1980's vibe to it. I even own a Waldorf Quantum and I still own the GR-1 because I think it offers something uniquely it's own in terms of sound. Has a different sound in a good way, even though I like both synths.

I don't have a problem using software and do for some sounds, but the GR-1 is a lot better to me than any granular plugin in terms of sound. Filters sound really good on the GR-1 and it has the ability to sample via audio interface. I haven't actually used the CVs on it, but I imagine that would start to get fun.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

Well shit that just lit a fire inside of me. Sorry to hear that these might not be available anymore. I wonder if they’re developing something new.

Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about - W.H. Auden
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

I'm curious but maybe I'm missing something.
Isn't a dedicated harware granular machine suppose to have an audio in so you can record directly sounds and process them? Isn't this the main reason you would like to have this in hardware and not as a plugin? Just being able to play with your gear and record on the fly make nice textures out of it in a second?
Looking for Videomodules open for trades for Eurorack.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim »

Estes wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 am I'm curious but maybe I'm missing something.
Isn't a dedicated harware granular machine suppose to have an audio in so you can record directly sounds and process them? Isn't this the main reason you would like to have this in hardware and not as a plugin? Just being able to play with your gear and record on the fly make nice textures out of it in a second?
Whaaaa?!

Does it not have audio in?! :foul:
softroom
Common Wiggler

Post by softroom »

It uses class compliant devices for its audio in / sampling. The manual has a list of them. Sampling is quite basic though with no trim or normalise tools - so I gave up on that and prepare mine offline. The GR-1 has been the coolest thing I've bought in years, utterly captivating.
oldgearguy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy »

It's one of those boxes that you really should try out in person to decide if it works for you. I had one for a while and the various limitations and irritations ended up tipping the scales away from it *for me*. I ended up with the Spacecraft software and a Novation Zero SL Mk II as a dedicated controller for it. Again, *for me* that combination works better for my granular needs than the GR-1, but I also trust people's opinions like @softroom that the GR-1 absolutely works for them. That's why I say try it out in person if possible, even if it means doing a buy/sell loop.
softroom
Common Wiggler

Post by softroom »

oldgearguy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:36 am It's one of those boxes that you really should try out in person to decide if it works for you. I had one for a while and the various limitations and irritations ended up tipping the scales away from it *for me*. I ended up with the Spacecraft software and a Novation Zero SL Mk II as a dedicated controller for it. Again, *for me* that combination works better for my granular needs than the GR-1, but I also trust people's opinions like @softroom that the GR-1 absolutely works for them. That's why I say try it out in person if possible, even if it means doing a buy/sell loop.
Definitely. Others have expressed similar frustrations. I guess it ticks enough boxes for me by offering a tactile, stand-alone way of tinkering with the wide selection of samples I've assembled over the years. I'd love it if it could handle stereo files but I guess that'll be some future model with more pi in it.
Last edited by softroom on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syrinx70
Learning to Wiggle

Post by syrinx70 »

stikygum wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 pm Does anyone find selecting patches as weird as I do? Each performance has 32 patches in it and you can only select those 32 patches without having to go back in the file structure, right? The 'performance' idea is an odd choice to have to select patches. I don't understand why they didn't make this a little more straight forward to select patches. It's like a computer file structure, where you go into one folder and have to go into another and so forth. I definitely don't like that as much as I do something like a DSI Pro 2 where you can turn a knob and it changes the patch immediately. The interface is my one complaint as I feel it's somewhat of a learning curve. Editing the other parameters in the menus is fine for me, like other synths. But I find pressing the 'knob' instead of a button odd for me to select a patch. I need to read the manual to understand the whole hierarchy of it.

Yes,I really don’t like how cumbersome it is to move through patches .there must be a better way !
funeralcake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by funeralcake »

Gringo Starr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 pm Well shit that just lit a fire inside of me. Sorry to hear that these might not be available anymore. I wonder if they’re developing something new.
I want to clarify something, in case this is in response to my post: I don't think these are going to be made unavailable (I know nothing of TC's schedule or inner workings). I was referring specifically to the reverb listing I mentioned above (IDK if someone has already purchased it, because I haven't been watching that particular listing). Sorry for any possible confusion.
Estes wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 am I'm curious but maybe I'm missing something.
A lot of granular software requires loading in pre-recorded audio, so no. For me, the appeal of dedicated granular synths is less about pseudo-live audio processing (I can do that with any delay pedal) than it is processing samples without relying on a clunky OS and peripherals. A lot of samplers can perform various granular synthesis techniques, but very few are as fleshed out as something like the GR-1.
"muff" is not a four-letter word.
Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes »

funeralcake wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:26 pm
Gringo Starr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 pm Well shit that just lit a fire inside of me. Sorry to hear that these might not be available anymore. I wonder if they’re developing something new.
I want to clarify something, in case this is in response to my post: I don't think these are going to be made unavailable (I know nothing of TC's schedule or inner workings). I was referring specifically to the reverb listing I mentioned above (IDK if someone has already purchased it, because I haven't been watching that particular listing). Sorry for any possible confusion.
A lot of granular software requires loading in pre-recorded audio, so no. For me, the appeal of dedicated granular synths is less about pseudo-live audio processing (I can do that with any delay pedal) than it is processing samples without relying on a clunky OS and peripherals. A lot of samplers can perform various granular synthesis techniques, but very few are as fleshed out as something like the GR-1.
I'm sure that the GR-1 is very complete and it looked tempting at first. I'm not looking for pseudo delay effects, my Mungo G0 can do both, granular things but also process recordings on the fly or feed it with samples. However I think with the G0 and the Kaivo plugin I don't need anything else further at the moment. I realised that the GR-1 is a beast on it's own and maybe a the best hardware option to learn a lot about granular synthesis.
Looking for Videomodules open for trades for Eurorack.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum »

syrinx70 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:35 pm
stikygum wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 pm Does anyone find selecting patches as weird as I do? Each performance has 32 patches in it and you can only select those 32 patches without having to go back in the file structure, right? The 'performance' idea is an odd choice to have to select patches. I don't understand why they didn't make this a little more straight forward to select patches. It's like a computer file structure, where you go into one folder and have to go into another and so forth. I definitely don't like that as much as I do something like a DSI Pro 2 where you can turn a knob and it changes the patch immediately. The interface is my one complaint as I feel it's somewhat of a learning curve. Editing the other parameters in the menus is fine for me, like other synths. But I find pressing the 'knob' instead of a button odd for me to select a patch. I need to read the manual to understand the whole hierarchy of it.
Yes,I really don’t like how cumbersome it is to move through patches .there must be a better way !
I wasn't sure if you quoted without responding, but see you combined my quote and lumped it in with yours. Ok I fixed the quote. Better now.

Anyways, I do wish it didn't have that file system structure. I supposed some people like using computers all the time find it logical or whatever, but I wish one giant name with a patch number would show up on the whole screen for a patch selecting mode. Instead we're given files like a computer and can go in and out of folders to find patches.

I wish Tasty Chips would ditch the folders and show all the patches in a numbered order, to flip through any patch you want without having to go in and out of folders.

That's really my only complaint though because the GR-1 is really cool sounding and gives me far out there stuff that is unique. One thing I would say to anyone thinking about buying one is that the software approach to granular is different than the hardware approach. Most people 'program' their granular patch. I like to 'play' my granular patches from the front panel of the GR-1. In other words, I feel that besides the sound being a lot better than software (I know it's subjective), but the patches are more organic sounding to me that I can come up with on the GR-1 as opposed to sounding static on software. I'm not talking about modulation here. The human interaction with granular takes this synthesis out of the 'let's marvel at that crazy sound' realm and into the 'make it respond to your emotion/inclination' area. In other words, I can make it speak my language, instead of letting it choose it's typical language to speak in.

The omission of audio inputs was stupid imo, but if you don't mind importing samples via usb or using an audio interface to sample, then there's good fun to be had.
WTB: Mungo d0, IME Kermit & Hertz Donut
meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska »

Here a quick demo review i made of the GR1 ;)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

meska wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 am Here a quick demo review i made of the GR1 ;)
Great introduction, thanks. The most captivating moment for me was when you showed the four-part multi-timbral feature.
"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad »

Since it might have gone unnoticed: the GR-1 seems to be in stock with Tasty Chips.
Avatar: A lusona by the Chokwe people.

elektrograd
strettara
which way is up?

Post by strettara »

Four part muti-timbrality and grain size up to 5 seconds - that would have been my dream device a few years ago, when I was using the Illucia and a maxpatch called Grout to do things like this:

"Three generations of imbeciles is enough." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

everydaycurry
Veteran Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

It's unique enough I kind of want to try again, but I really found the way it worked overly cumbersome compared to a VST (particularly vs. an iPad app).
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Gringo Starr »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm i'm tempted by this. The wait is pretty long, but the initial deposit is relatively small....and the rest of it should come after I have recovered for taxes.

I read the quantum manual, and was dissuaded because it looked like a traditional synth approach with some granular added on. Not that it would be a bad synth, but I got inspired and returned to Gotharman instead.

but 150 euros right now? I've sworn off buying stuff on credit, but this isn't so much.

I must look at this a bit more seriously today.
Did you ever end up getting one? I’m so close to pulling the trigger but I’m getting cold feet.

softroom
Common Wiggler

Post by softroom »

One solution I chose for the lack of sampling was to use the Blackbox I have sat next to it instead. Then, a simple microSD to USB caddy is all that's needed to import. The Blackbox is a near-perfect solution for grabbing lots of those ambient granular improvs anyway - and these recordings can be fed back in again ad infinitum like some twisted photocopier experiment.
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

Well... my curiosity got the best of me. My finger hovered over the "pay now" button for a few minutes. Officially ordered. If I don't like it I will sell it and eat a couple hundred dollars. I figured it's worth the gamble. Some demos made me think no and some made me think yes. Anyways now that I've committed I feel pretty good about it and am kind of excited.

Return to “General Gear”