Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

SkudShark
Common Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Post by SkudShark »

Curious, may be a dumb question but anyone with an older GR-1, how is the serial on yours depicted? Is it GR-Zxxx ?
Just got one with a Z on the model sticker on the bottom, wasn't sure if just serial number designations (As this one is a low number following the Z), or if this may be a revision of the model?

Build looks nice, going to fire it up this evening :D
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

metamorphmuses wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:19 am I've tried out various configurations of the ES-9, but unfortunately, although the GR-1 recognizes it, I can't get any inputs to actually pass sound to the GR-1.

Then I plugged in an iRig Pro Duo, not expecting it to be recognized, but lo and behold the GR-1 does recognize it as well. But again, when I put the GR-1 in live sampling mode and press Select, the red record line starts but no sound comes through and no waveform shows.

Just to make sure I can feed the machine something of my own, I loaded some Wav files onto a USB flash drive and plugged it in, and the GR-1 does indeed load samples from that device.

Still, I really want to get live sampling working on the GR-1. I may have to buy one of the cheapest interfaces listed in the manual to make sure it's not an incompatibility with the ES-9 — that would make no sense since the ES-9 is definitely class-compliant.
Unfortunately, I can confirm now, having tried a USB adapter explicitly named in the manual as a compatible device (Ewent EW3751), that live sampling does not work on my GR-1; it does not receive incoming signals from a sound card.

I'm going to have to contact Tasty Chips and see about a return and replacement or something. This is a major disappointment, as I really like everything about the machine, but I primarily got it for real-time granular looping.

Edit: I figured it out. It was the damn cable... and at one point I even read someone else mention this in a thread somewhere... I have to insert the cable only part of the way into the input jack.
pmags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pmags »

Hey Wigglers,

I've got a GR-1 incoming and I'm curious if anyone has tried inputting audio straight from a Digitakt or Digitone, both of which are supposed to able to act as class compliant audio interfaces? I also see that the latest OP-1 firmware also allows for audio over USB. I don't know whether that means it now acts as an interface per se, but I wonder if this might work as well?

I'd be curious to hear about other creative ways folks are working with getting sounds into the GR-1 besides the standard audio interface or samples onto USB route.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

I have been using the Ewent EW3751 successfully for the last 12 days, but I decided to resume testing the iRig Pro Duo and the Expert Sleepers ES-9.

The iRig Pro Duo is recognized by the GR-1 but definitely does not work. This isn't an interface I particularly cared about, nor expected to work with the GR-1, but it confirms that the GR-1 can both recognize an interface and nevertheless not receive signal through it.

The Expert Sleepers ES-9, on the other hand, I really wanted to work with the GR-1. However, the ES-9 has to be configured in a particular way to work as desired, so it is not as straight-forward; it's like working with an opaque, inscrutable black box, and whatever you do has to be set in advance on a computer to work in standalone mode, so that once you unplug it from the computer and into another host like the GR-1, it will work as configured.

Initially, what I would have expected is that a given input, say input 9 on the ES-9, would send incoming signals to the ES-9 if the corresponding output is set to USB1. Input 9 -> USB1 does not work. I have also configured the ES-9 like Omri Cohen does in his tutorial video on the ES-9 with VCV rack, which is to say Input 7 -> Output 7 and Input 8 -> Output 8. I am getting nothing. I will keep testing, but my results so far are pretty discouraging.

I wonder if anyone who uses an interface that works for them with the GR-1 but has more than one input can confirm that their GR-1 does not allow you to choose to sample from one input rather than another.
pmags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pmags »

pmags wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 pm Hey Wigglers,

I've got a GR-1 incoming and I'm curious if anyone has tried inputting audio straight from a Digitakt or Digitone, both of which are supposed to able to act as class compliant audio interfaces? I also see that the latest OP-1 firmware also allows for audio over USB. I don't know whether that means it now acts as an interface per se, but I wonder if this might work as well?

I'd be curious to hear about other creative ways folks are working with getting sounds into the GR-1 besides the standard audio interface or samples onto USB route.
I've finally got my GR-1 in hand so I can provide an answer to my own query. I tested audio input from the Digitone and indeed the GR-1 does recognize this an interface and I can record USB audio out from the Digitone.

Seems like volume levels via USB audio from Digiton are on the low side so I had to turn up recording volume to 2.0x on the GR-1 and set maximum track level on the Digitone, but it does work!
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon »

I bought the cheapest USB interface I could find on Reverb. It's a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 that cost me around $20. It works great. It's small and I can tuck it underneath the GR-1 that on a tilted stand.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum
pmags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pmags »

metamorphmuses wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:08 am
I wonder if anyone who uses an interface that works for them with the GR-1 but has more than one input can confirm that their GR-1 does not allow you to choose to sample from one input rather than another.
I tried a MOTU M4 which is a 4 in x 4 out interface. In the GR-1 I couldn't choose individual USB channels but the interface did show up in the Sample page and audio recorded just fine from it. I assume (though I haven't tested this yet) that if the GR-1 is seeing multiple channels via USB that it just sums them all to a mono signal.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

pmags wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:24 pm
metamorphmuses wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:08 am
I tried a MOTU M4 which is a 4 in x 4 out interface. In the GR-1 I couldn't choose individual USB channels but the interface did show up in the Sample page and audio recorded just fine from it. I assume (though I haven't tested this yet) that if the GR-1 is seeing multiple channels via USB that it just sums them all to a mono signal.
Thanks for testing and confirming that.

---
scottmoon wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:42 pm I bought the cheapest USB interface I could find on Reverb. It's a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 that cost me around $20. It works great. It's small and I can tuck it underneath the GR-1 that on a tilted stand.
The UM2 is too large for my purposes. I chose an Ewent EW3751 because it is literally the size of a flash drive.
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon »

metamorphmuses wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:48 pm The UM2 is too large for my purposes. I chose an Ewent EW3751 because it is literally the size of a flash drive.
That is small. I'm confused about the specs. Is it stereo in?

TECHNICAL
• Chipset: C-Media CM108
• Interface: USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
• Audio channels: 5.1 Spatial Surround Sound
• Connectors: 2 x 3.5mm jack for microphone and speaker or headphones
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

scottmoon wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:45 pm
metamorphmuses wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:48 pm The UM2 is too large for my purposes. I chose an Ewent EW3751 because it is literally the size of a flash drive.
That is small. I'm confused about the specs. Is it stereo in?

TECHNICAL
• Chipset: C-Media CM108
• Interface: USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
• Audio channels: 5.1 Spatial Surround Sound
• Connectors: 2 x 3.5mm jack for microphone and speaker or headphones
I assume it is stereo, but I have only tested it with the GR-1 so far, and the GR-1's behavior with the EW3751 is weird. If I plug in a stereo jack, the GR-1's input sounds like digital noise, with no trace of the signal coming from the other end (in this case, a Eurorack module), but if I plug a mono jack about 60% of the way in, I get a clean signal, and if I plug the mono jack 100% of the way in, I get no signal at all.

Edit: Sorry, no, it is definitely stereo. The digital noise I was getting had something to do with a badly seated USB connection. I have a flash drive plugged in as well as the EW3751, and the GR-1's USB ports are too close to each other, so even though the flash drive is below and to the right of the EW3751, the two devices jostle each other. So, if I plug a stereo 1/8" cable from the headphone / line out jack of my 4MS Listen Four Quarters to the EW3751 input jack, I get a clean signal by plugging it in normally. [end of edit]

Considering there is that one manner in which I can get a clean signal, I am content that I can even live sample with the GR-1 at all. But seriously, Tasty Chips really screwed the pooch by leaving out a built-in audio jack and forcing us to go rummaging around for one. The EW3751 is obviously a cheapo device that I would not use for any other purpose but this one.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

pmags wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:15 pm {...}

I've finally got my GR-1 in hand so I can provide an answer to my own query. I tested audio input from the Digitone and indeed the GR-1 does recognize this an interface and I can record USB audio out from the Digitone.

Seems like volume levels via USB audio from Digiton are on the low side so I had to turn up recording volume to 2.0x on the GR-1 and set maximum track level on the Digitone, but it does work!
It's cool that the Digitone and GR-1 work together. I saw a video by "Meska" on YouTube in which he was using the Octatrack to do real time sampling of the GR-1 and vice versa; actually that video sealed the deal for me on buying the GR-1. So, it seems that using the GR-1 with Elektron gear really pays off.

---

I did my last test with the ES-9, and it settles the matter for me: even though the ES-9 is a class-compliant USB audio interface, it definitely does not work, no matter how you route the inputs to the outputs or assign the mixer outputs to the USB buses.
pmags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pmags »

metamorphmuses wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:03 pm
It's cool that the Digitone and GR-1 work together. I saw a video by "Meska" on YouTube in which he was using the Octatrack to do real time sampling of the GR-1 and vice versa; actually that video sealed the deal for me on buying the GR-1. So, it seems that using the GR-1 with Elektron gear really pays off.
Unfortunately I don't think the USB on Octatrack acts as an audio interface. I think Meska must be running his Octatrack into an interface that's plugged into the GR-1 in that video. But this should work with pretty much all the other current Elektron devices.
meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska »

pmags wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 am
Unfortunately I don't think the USB on Octatrack acts as an audio interface. I think Meska must be running his Octatrack into an interface that's plugged into the GR-1 in that video. But this should work with pretty much all the other current Elektron devices.

Yep the signal rooting is OT to GR1 via USB sound card, and back to the OT with Jacks ;)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

meska wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 am
pmags wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 am

Yep the signal rooting is OT to GR1 via USB sound card, and back to the OT with Jacks ;)
Ah, well, my mistake then. Thanks Meska for providing the "authoritative" answer on the matter. I really love that technique that you show in the video. It almost makes me want an Octatrack to pair with my GR-1 (although in reality I have other devices that could serve that purpose). I really must try an "auto-generative" setup like that.
meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska »

you can easly achiev patch like that with any instrument who have buffer, here an other exemple with 2 euro moduls
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/
Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris »

I bought my GR-1 from meska (thank you meska) and with it came a USB Soundcard from Behringer, UCA222.
Haven’t used that combo yet but it’s officially compatible with the GR-1 and cost “almost nothing”.

To be honest my GR-1 has more or less collected dust since I got it, but that’s not about me not liking it.
It’s more about me having too many gadgets and not enough time for them being too busy with work,recordings,mixing and live playing
pmags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pmags »

I've got several interfaces already, but I was interested in picking up a really small interface to use with the GR-1 or in combination with an iPad and a Synthstrom Deluge. My key requirements were stereo in, a mic-preamp with 48V phantom, and USB power. The ESI UGM192 (https://www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm192/) seems to fit the bill in terms of specs. Not the cheapest option (though I was able to pick one up on a Halloween sale), but I wanted something really compact but with good sound quality. Once I have it in hand I'll report back on my experience using it with the GR-1

EDIT: Posting this here prompted me to go back and look at the FAQ for the UGM192. Unfortunately it doesn't work with line level input (https://kb.esi-audio.com/?goto=KB00279EN) so this is a NO GO for my intended uses. Sorry for the noise.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Oof, the OS on this thing is in need of development. A little spinning icon would do wonders to just let us know whether it is actually saving a patch or for some reason still waiting on me to push the save button (again?).
sprod1
1-Post Wiggler

Post by sprod1 »

Hate to ask this question (especially on this forum!) - but are there things to do with the GR-1's approach to granular synthesis that cannot be replicated by VSTs?

I do love the sound of some of the demos and am willing to spend the money on a piece of equipment that is really bringing something unique. But at the same time im wary of investing in a piece of hardware that is doing something that a VST i've bought is already doing. On top of this i'm just curious as to its methods if it is indeed doing something unique.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

sprod1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:19 am Hate to ask this question (especially on this forum!) - but are there things to do with the GR-1's approach to granular synthesis that cannot be replicated by VSTs?

I do love the sound of some of the demos and am willing to spend the money on a piece of equipment that is really bringing something unique. But at the same time im wary of investing in a piece of hardware that is doing something that a VST i've bought is already doing. On top of this i'm just curious as to its methods if it is indeed doing something unique.
I've tried a few granular plug-ins. My general experience is none of them sound as good or have the total grain count as GR-1. GR-1 has a very clean defined sound quality. You can really hear the individual grains. It isn't as smeared as most other granular synths I've tried.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

A new version of the firmware has been released. I look forward to installing it and giving it a whirl over the weekend.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
urogijani
Common Wiggler

Post by urogijani »

Can someone confirm if the build quality of the unit is better now when the machine came out ? Some years ago I was in Berlin and visited the Schneidersladen store and there was a GR-1. I really liked it's look and sound, but somehow the build quality felt horrible. The pots and especially the faders were really wobbly. Maybe it was a really early unit and it was fixed meantime ?! I am looking into getting one, but can't find a store near to try it out again, so I would need to order it directly from Tasty Chips and I am curious if it is still the case or everything is fine with the build quality. Thanks.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 am Can someone confirm if the build quality of the unit is better now when the machine came out ? Some years ago I was in Berlin and visited the Schneidersladen store and there was a GR-1. I really liked it's look and sound, but somehow the build quality felt horrible. The pots and especially the faders were really wobbly. Maybe it was a really early unit and it was fixed meantime ?! I am looking into getting one, but can't find a store near to try it out again, so I would need to order it directly from Tasty Chips and I am curious if it is still the case or everything is fine with the build quality. Thanks.
I bought one new from Tasty Chips in the second half of 2021. The build quality of the hardware, including knobs, buttons and faders, all seem pretty solid to me. It's the software, the UI, that I personally find clunky (though I have not updated the firmware to the version that just came out, so there might be some improvements to the UI that I have not yet encountered).
urogijani
Common Wiggler

Post by urogijani »

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear :) What do you mean about the UI ? Too much menu diving ? Or bugs ?
metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 am
urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 am Can someone confirm if the build quality of the unit is better now when the machine came out ? Some years ago I was in Berlin and visited the Schneidersladen store and there was a GR-1. I really liked it's look and sound, but somehow the build quality felt horrible. The pots and especially the faders were really wobbly. Maybe it was a really early unit and it was fixed meantime ?! I am looking into getting one, but can't find a store near to try it out again, so I would need to order it directly from Tasty Chips and I am curious if it is still the case or everything is fine with the build quality. Thanks.
I bought one new from Tasty Chips in the second half of 2021. The build quality of the hardware, including knobs, buttons and faders, all seem pretty solid to me. It's the software, the UI, that I personally find clunky (though I have not updated the firmware to the version that just came out, so there might be some improvements to the UI that I have not yet encountered).
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear :) What do you mean about the UI ? Too much menu diving ? Or bugs ?
metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 am
Mainly I am referring to the file system, and I find the saving of 'performances' and 'patches' time consuming and unintuitive (saving 'samples' is not so bad).

Return to “General Gear”