Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Post by scottmoon »

Phil F wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 am Hi everybody - just wondering if you can help? I've just purchased a GR-1 and my main reason for doing so is to run live audio through it and use it as an FX unit.
What am I doing wrong?
I just got the GR-1 yesterday. This is also one of the things I'm hoping to do. I'm going to give it a try today. :goo:
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum
meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska »

Phil F wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 am Hi everybody - just wondering if you can help? I've just purchased a GR-1 and my main reason for doing so is to run live audio through it and use it as an FX unit.

I run an FX loop from Ableton and want it to be part of an FX chain - can I do this?
I bought a Behringer UCA222 for this purpose but cannot get 'live' audio into the GR-1.

My set up is;

Audio L and R out of my audio interface.
Audio then going into the GR-1 via UCA222
Then audio out back into interface.

I can play samples on the GR-1 fine, no problem at all. But cannot get 'live' audio into it to process.

What am I doing wrong?
did you watch this ?

tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/
Phil F
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil F »

meska wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:28 pm

I run an FX loop from Ableton and want it to be part of an FX chain - can I do this?
I bought a Behringer UCA222 for this purpose but cannot get 'live' audio into the GR-1.

My set up is;

Audio L and R out of my audio interface.
Audio then going into the GR-1 via UCA222
Then audio out back into interface.

I can play samples on the GR-1 fine, no problem at all. But cannot get 'live' audio into it to process.

What am I doing wrong?
did you watch this ?

Thanks meska - yes, have looked at it a few times but no joy, I'm afraid. I'll try again tomorrow
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon »

Followed the instructions in the manual. Works great.

Phil F
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil F »

scottmoon wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:25 pm Followed the instructions in the manual. Works great.
Yeah - works great for me too. Just needed to follow the instructions better ;)
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

Firmware 2.5 is live on the site now. It fixes some vexing problems.
https://www.tastychips.nl/gr-1-support/
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

20% more grains!
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Do any Wigglers use the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 as the main audio interface with their GR-1 to input audio for live sampling?

When I discovered that the GR-1 requires an independent class-compliant USB audio interface to sample audio live, in real time, it really put me off the GR-1. Now, I am reconsidering the GR-1 and it occurred to me that I would prefer a Eurorack-based audio interface to another desktop unit.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 pm Do any Wigglers use the Expert Sleepers ES-8 or ES-9 as the main audio interface with their GR-1 to input audio for live sampling?

When I discovered that the GR-1 requires an independent class-compliant USB audio interface to sample audio live, in real time, it really put me off the GR-1. Now, I am reconsidering the GR-1 and it occurred to me that I would prefer a Eurorack-based audio interface to another desktop unit.
You gave me an idea. I'm going to give this a try today with my ES-8. I use the ES-8 ADAT for audio out. I think I can also use the USB to the GR-1. Will report results later.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I can report the GR-1 recognizes the ES-8 as a sound card. Unfortunately, you can't use the ADAT audio at the same time. So, that doesn't work for me.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

TJontheRoad wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:22 am I can report the GR-1 recognizes the ES-8 as a sound card. Unfortunately, you can't use the ADAT audio at the same time. So, that doesn't work for me.
Thanks for testing that. I see, so it's either the USB or the ADAT outs, not both; I can see how that would be annoying. But the fact that the GR-1 recognizes the ES-8 is very encouraging to me. I am leaning a bit more heavily towards the ES-9 now.

Edit: I just preordered an ES-9. I think this means it's inevitable I will get the GR-1 soon.
D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman »

Is the GR-1 case made of metal? I'm trying to find opinions on the general build quality. Earlier in this thread seems a couple thought it was ok but that was a couple of years ago. How are people's holding up who've had them for a while?
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

D_Bowman wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 pm Is the GR-1 case made of metal? I'm trying to find opinions on the general build quality. Earlier in this thread seems a couple thought it was ok but that was a couple of years ago. How are people's holding up who've had them for a while?
Yes, metal casing. I bought mine used about a year ago. No issues. Just bought a 2x2 Scarlett USB interface to specifically to do sampling and live granular. Works great.
Last edited by TJontheRoad on Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

D_Bowman wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 pm Is the GR-1 case made of metal? I'm trying to find opinions on the general build quality. Earlier in this thread seems a couple thought it was ok but that was a couple of years ago. How are people's holding up who've had them for a while?
I've only had mine a few months, but it seems solid. The finish on the metal case is more attractive than the pictures make out.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman »

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that it's metal casing!
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

I got my new GR-1 today. I never should have hesitated. Well, I'm glad it works with the ES-9, and I'll set that up tomorrow, but just with some of the factory sounds, it is sounding magnificent.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I just picked up a 2x2 Scarlett USB interface to use exclusively with my GR-1. Works well for live input. They're now an inseparable pair. I should have done that earlier.
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon »

I picked up the cheapest USB interface I could find that was recommended. It's the Behringer U-Phoria UM2. Only cost $28.50 on Reverb and works great.

metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

I've tried out various configurations of the ES-9, but unfortunately, although the GR-1 recognizes it, I can't get any inputs to actually pass sound to the GR-1.

Then I plugged in an iRig Pro Duo, not expecting it to be recognized, but lo and behold the GR-1 does recognize it as well. But again, when I put the GR-1 in live sampling mode and press Select, the red record line starts but no sound comes through and no waveform shows.

Just to make sure I can feed the machine something of my own, I loaded some Wav files onto a USB flash drive and plugged it in, and the GR-1 does indeed load samples from that device.

Still, I really want to get live sampling working on the GR-1. I may have to buy one of the cheapest interfaces listed in the manual to make sure it's not an incompatibility with the ES-9 — that would make no sense since the ES-9 is definitely class-compliant.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

metamorphmuses wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:19 amBut again, when I put the GR-1 in live sampling mode and press Select, the red record line starts but no sound comes through and no waveform shows.
You also need to hit the play button.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

TJontheRoad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:48 am
metamorphmuses wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:19 amBut again, when I put the GR-1 in live sampling mode and press Select, the red record line starts but no sound comes through and no waveform shows.
You also need to hit the play button.
Yes, I didn't explicitly mention that step, but nothing comes through then either.
Feinstrom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Feinstrom »

I've had my GR-1 for a short time only (~2 weeks), and I intend to use it for cold, fizzy and digital pads exclusively.
So far I've come to the conclusion that one simple 5-second drumloop is enough to produce all the kinds of differend pads I want - what an incredible instrument!
Of course I'll try other uses as well, but this seems to be my personal GR-1 sweet spot. Layered with some basic analog pads it just sounds amazing.

Disclaimer: My preferred use of synthesizers has always been finding something they do especially well (finding "their voice") and use them just for that (I even use my Memotron desktop only with the default frame of choir/strings/flute - THAT is Mellotron for me, and many users back then didn't have more than one frame anyway). And I NEVER use resonance on my SH-101. Trident: one layer practically rusted in by now. SY-2: one sound.

Cheers,
Bert
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Can the GR-1 do any plucky, percussive type sounds? I know that grains with low-mid densities can sound percussive, but is it possible to synthesize plucks with high densities using the ADSR? I’ve searched all over youtube, but only found pads and textures (understandably).
I’m looking for a desktop polysynth, and it struck me that the GR-1 could possibly fit the bill. In addition to the granular ambience which it excels at, I’d also be using it for faster keys type runs.. which I can’t tell if it’s capable of.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

Aleyas wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:15 am Can the GR-1 do any plucky, percussive type sounds? I know that grains with low-mid densities can sound percussive, but is it possible to synthesize plucks with high densities using the ADSR? I’ve searched all over youtube, but only found pads and textures (understandably).
I’m looking for a desktop polysynth, and it struck me that the GR-1 could possibly fit the bill. In addition to the granular ambience which it excels at, I’d also be using it for faster keys type runs.. which I can’t tell if it’s capable of.
Yes, it can get plucks. Understand though GR-1 is completely at the mercy of the sample(s) loaded. So if you have something with a slow attack sampled, you'll need to set the start position some where beyond that initial point. You can set GR-1 to key trigger from that point with the envelope.
SkudShark
Common Wiggler

Post by SkudShark »

Feinstrom wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:28 am I've had my GR-1 for a short time only (~2 weeks), and I intend to use it for cold, fizzy and digital pads exclusively.
So far I've come to the conclusion that one simple 5-second drumloop is enough to produce all the kinds of differend pads I want - what an incredible instrument!
Of course I'll try other uses as well, but this seems to be my personal GR-1 sweet spot. Layered with some basic analog pads it just sounds amazing.

Disclaimer: My preferred use of synthesizers has always been finding something they do especially well (finding "their voice") and use them just for that (I even use my Memotron desktop only with the default frame of choir/strings/flute - THAT is Mellotron for me, and many users back then didn't have more than one frame anyway). And I NEVER use resonance on my SH-101. Trident: one layer practically rusted in by now. SY-2: one sound.

Cheers,
Bert
Good to know, finally pulled the trigger on one, excited to get next week :mrgreen:

Return to “General Gear”