Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Post by digitalganesha »

Gringo Starr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:50 pm Well... my curiosity got the best of me. My finger hovered over the "pay now" button for a few minutes. Officially ordered. If I don't like it I will sell it and eat a couple hundred dollars. I figured it's worth the gamble. Some demos made me think no and some made me think yes. Anyways now that I've committed I feel pretty good about it and am kind of excited.
Should it fail to meet your liking: I'm your immediate buyer, so no regrets to be had! :mrgreen:
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

digitalganesha wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm
Gringo Starr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:50 pm Well... my curiosity got the best of me. My finger hovered over the "pay now" button for a few minutes. Officially ordered. If I don't like it I will sell it and eat a couple hundred dollars. I figured it's worth the gamble. Some demos made me think no and some made me think yes. Anyways now that I've committed I feel pretty good about it and am kind of excited.
Should it fail to meet your liking: I'm your immediate buyer, so no regrets to be had! :mrgreen:
Ok cool! I’ll remember that! :-)
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.

Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about - W.H. Auden
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

In the manual under the polyphony section it says this...

"When pushing the GR-1’s engine, audio dropouts can occur. It is important to remember that granular synthesis is random in nature. Too much and too scattered access to sample memory will result in a high strain on the engine

- Maximum voice polyphony is caused by long envelope release and fast playing on the keyboard.. Beware, the GR-1 allows almost 50 second long envelope release!
- Maximum grain polyphony is caused by high grain size and density.
- High spray and long samples will cause scattering of sample memory access.

The combination of the above factors can cause audio dropouts. "

So when I have a sample playing and I'm only holding down three notes on a keyboard for just three seconds then randomly there will be clicks/pops or audio dropout. Does anyone else have this problem? I have my density set at 2 o'clock. I can't imagine that this would be considered too much density for there to not be clicks/pops and audio dropout. If so then polyphonically speaking that would make this feature borderline useless. Any suggestions or is this just how it is?

I’m getting some pretty good results with this thing so far though. I had a rough start and almost had buyers remorse but the more I learn and the more I dig into this thing it’s really starting to open up and yield some really cool results. And I have yet to incorporate it with my modular system which was my plan.

Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with originality, which they should never bother about - W.H. Auden
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen »

Hm, that sounds a bit dishartening. I was about to get me one but also hoping to use it a synth for lush and still otherworldly pads. Reading the manual it seemed that this would be quite possible. But no three notes with moderate granular settings is not exactly that.

The say the boundary lies at 1000 grains in parallel. I guess it might be a bit less when you are heavily modulating all paramters. Though that should cover 10 notes with 100 grains at a time, like 2 overlapping 5 note chords. And 50 grains should still sound great for pads, just to be safe is what I thought.

So I would love to here too from use experience where the practical limitation are to be expected.
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

Leverkusen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:48 am Hm, that sounds a bit dishartening. I was about to get me one but also hoping to use it a synth for lush and still otherworldly pads. Reading the manual it seemed that this would be quite possible. But no three notes with moderate granular settings is not exactly that.

The say the boundary lies at 1000 grains in parallel. I guess it might be a bit less when you are heavily modulating all paramters. Though that should cover 10 notes with 100 grains at a time, like 2 overlapping 5 note chords. And 50 grains should still sound great for pads, just to be safe is what I thought.

So I would love to here too from use experience where the practical limitation are to be expected.
I’m at work now so I’ll try this when I get home tonight but I’ve been thinking about this and I think the problem might’ve been that my sustain and release times were too long. Maybe when I changed chords that the previous grains were ringing on and then all the new ones on top of that is what overloaded it. Maybe? It’s unfortunate that it’s this way and maybe it’s something that can be fixed in an update? I’ll try it out when I get home and see if that helps.

NielsD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NielsD »

Here are some pieces of music I created using the GR-1. I somehow feel like I'm still just scratching the surface of what it can do. My new years resolution is to find more methods to visualize my music, and don't let things sit for too long. So I'm just throwing these musical sketches and video-self-studies onto my youtube channel.

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers »

Gringo Starr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 pm
Leverkusen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:48 am Hm, that sounds a bit dishartening. I was about to get me one but also hoping to use it a synth for lush and still otherworldly pads. Reading the manual it seemed that this would be quite possible. But no three notes with moderate granular settings is not exactly that.

I’m at work now so I’ll try this when I get home tonight but I’ve been thinking about this and I think the problem might’ve been that my sustain and release times were too long. Maybe when I changed chords that the previous grains were ringing on and then all the new ones on top of that is what overloaded it. Maybe? It’s unfortunate that it’s this way and maybe it’s something that can be fixed in an update? I’ll try it out when I get home and see if that helps.
I think grain length might have something to do with it. What are the grain size settings at?

One of the major firmware updates last year extended the max grain size from 1 second to 5 seconds, which is a pretty big difference. More grains at a longer grain size will hit the limit much faster, as opposed to grains recycling at shorter lengths (for reference Clouds has a max of 1 second, Arhbar 3 seconds, Quanta 1 second). I've found that anything above 1 second will cause dropouts quicker. And because of the extended range of knob, it's pretty easy to be go beyond 1 second. All that said, 1 second (or even a little less) is plenty to get into lush territory. Grains at 5 seconds is almost overkill, but with less grains, it's almost like an entirely different effect because of you are hearing more of the original sample. You get more of a collage type of effect.
blipson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blipson »

I got it primarily for the live granular to effect percussion performance. As expensive as it is, it looked like a much better deal than the Iridium for granular, and it's also implemented MPE capability, which Iridium still doesn't have.
Granular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granular »

NielsD wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:15 pm Here are some pieces of music I created using the GR-1. I somehow feel like I'm still just scratching the surface of what it can do. My new years resolution is to find more methods to visualize my music, and don't let things sit for too long. So I'm just throwing these musical sketches and video-self-studies onto my youtube channel.
That is a joy to listen!! :yay:

When I listen to Tracks like yours I really think about selling some of my Eurorack Granular Stuff
and finally get the GR-1. I always wanted one :hail:

I wonder how some of these Lush Pads sound when recorded on Tape and slowed down the Hainbach Way :lol:

Are you still happy with the Unit?

About the Methods of Visualizing your own Music. This is was just startet working on this weekend. Nothing special, just cutting and looping some old Film Material. I downloaded the Free Version of DaVinci Resolve for this.
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

i keep talking myself out of ordering one, then i see stuff like this that gives me ALL the desires -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

behndy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:29 pm i keep talking myself out of ordering one, then i see stuff like this that gives me ALL the desires -
Hi behndy! Nice video you shared. I have been in exactly the same situation.

Just a couple of hours ago, in fact, I was looking on YT to see if the GR-1 can continuously overdub (non-destructively layer) what's being recorded into it in real time. It seems it overdubs only by replacing, not layering, but nevertheless this technique of using the GR-1 to process a recording in real time is making it difficult for me to resist buying one....

TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

Here's a jam with the Conductive Labs NDLR and Tasty Chips GR-1. All sounds are from the Tasty Chips GR-1 using 4 part multi-timbral function.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

annnnnnd ordred one. should be here tomorrow. NEAT.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

I also just paid my registration fee to join this club. Mine is supposed to get here on Monday. I have been using a custom Max/MSP patch on my laptop and / or Borderlands on my iPad for this sort of stuff, but the GR-1 looks like it will be more fun than either of those.

I'm still wondering what to use to control it. I imagine I will mostly be using the GR-1 controls, but a MIDI controller might come in handy in some cases.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

got mines in, it's BEAUUUUUUTIFULLLL. i'm a little confused about the file structure though. if i load a sample into one 1 on a patch, then when i load a sample into 2 sample 1 reverts to what it was. need to run through the manual before i sit down with it again.

already got some beautiful stuff out of it though.
meska
Veteran Wiggler

Post by meska »

I order one and sell it, sound awesome, but the UI ..
Some pot have 2 fonction, look at the size of this things!? juste add one potentiometer ^^ (and stop making potentiometer for 2 use! use encodeur to avoide value jump :)
if you allready have MI modul you can apreciat the "Zero dead zone" on pots (all the range of the pot is sweat pot) some function in the GR1 honestly prodiuce praticly non change.
regarding the size it's realy big for nothing, if you allready open et up, it's empty, so size is part of the designe choice.
i'm not a fan of big screen specialy when they don't bring much to the UI.
it's not cheap reagrding the fab quality , screw are felting directly in the case nosolder nut's behing so don't hopen it to many time.
Tatsy chips is young and realy need to improve UI (knob placement ect,look at the ECR+ ..)

they made inovating product that sound nice, i will be happy to buy a GR1mkII smaller and with better UI :P
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://www.youtube.com/c/Meska_Statik
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

after sitting down with mines for a bit, i think i have my head around the file structure design. not a huge fan of it, the loading/saving/renaming is awkward enough i can see it pulling my out of the fun of using the rest of the box. i mean, the whole design is immediacy no? i don't mind the Maybe Larger Than They Needed For Internals layout, way rather have knob per function as much as possible, and i LURV the screen.

onnnnnnnnnly thing is... i'm getting pops in the audio. i'm running the 2.4.2 firmware, and playing just one sample with not a huge grain density. about half way up? right at 7.00/s. i did normalize the sample to -0.05 DB before copying it over, does one have to leave more headroom to avoid clipping? there's some attach and release on the envelope.

even if it sounds amazing, clicks and clipping kinnnnnnda make something.... useless?

edit - also, had a fair few crashes. it was all when saving, the system would lock up and keep playing, but stay stuck in the save screen i was in, Escape and any and all buttons i tried wouldn't exit, had to reboot each time.

any advice? thanks!
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

i used the audio restoration in Sound Forge to get rid of the clicks and pops in this, but it was noticeably gnarly before i did. first play with the GR-1 -

the piano melody that comes in midway, the same melody through an EP instrument on Konktakt is the sample being moved around in the GR-1, playing it middle C, then an octave up.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

This is a short track that uses the GR-1, in multitimbral mode.

The raw material is:
- A low bass drone, which is based on a bunch of proteus samples strung together.
- a couple loops from my Buchla
- and a clean guitar loop

There is just a smidge of reverb added to the last couple seconds, to generate a tail.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
earx
Common Wiggler

Post by earx »

behndy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:04 pm onnnnnnnnnly thing is... i'm getting pops in the audio. i'm running the 2.4.2 firmware, and playing just one sample with not a huge grain density. about half way up? right at 7.00/s. i did normalize the sample to -0.05 DB before copying it over, does one have to leave more headroom to avoid clipping? there's some attach and release on the envelope.

edit - also, had a fair few crashes. it was all when saving, the system would lock up and keep playing, but stay stuck in the save screen i was in, Escape and any and all buttons i tried wouldn't exit, had to reboot each time.
Turn down the master pot a little. Users requested LOUD LOUDER LOUDEST many times (which means 0 headroom, and the GR-1 normalizes all samples it loads anyway), the result is that even two voices will already cause slight clipping.

We will fix your crash immediately. Highest priority. We're already working on firmware 2.5.. But you have to send us a full report of what you did. Step by step, and what type of data you were saving.. You can send it to info@tastychips.nl or leave it here. Whatever works for you.
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

earx wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:09 am
behndy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:04 pm onnnnnnnnnly thing is... i'm getting pops in the audio. i'm running the 2.4.2 firmware, and playing just one sample with not a huge grain density. about half way up? right at 7.00/s. i did normalize the sample to -0.05 DB before copying it over, does one have to leave more headroom to avoid clipping? there's some attach and release on the envelope.

Turn down the master pot a little. Users requested LOUD LOUDER LOUDEST many times (which means 0 headroom, and the GR-1 normalizes all samples it loads anyway), the result is that even two voices will already cause slight clipping.

We will fix your crash immediately. Highest priority. We're already working on firmware 2.5.. But you have to send us a full report of what you did. Step by step, and what type of data you were saving.. You can send it to info@tastychips.nl or leave it here. Whatever works for you.
with that sample, i did try the master volume lower. tried the channel volume lower, the master all the way down to 1/4 volume. still got pops. i did another patch with a sample normalized to - 3 db, that seemed to work fine.

i haven't had the crashes again, but each where when i was saving a performance. it seemed to be when i was trying to save into the root directory of my SD card instead of into a folder.
earx
Common Wiggler

Post by earx »

Any chance you can send this patch or sample so we can reproduce? The only logical conclusion is that there's a clipping stage somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the hint about the root folder. That should offer us enough to reproduce it!
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

sure thing! i'll send it on when i get home tonight. thanks!
earx
Common Wiggler

Post by earx »

Looking forward! Tried to reproduce your problem with the hanging performance save, but no luck so far. What we do notice is that cheap USB sticks work so slowly that a large performance may take a half a minute to save.. Proper fast USB sticks do it in a matter of seconds. Since the GR-1 doesn't show a "saving" popup, and only scrolls its preset leds, it may seem like it is stuck, especially if a preset contains a large sample. We'll have a deeper look at things today. If there's anything else you can remember don't hesitate to tell us.
Phil F
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil F »

Hi everybody - just wondering if you can help? I've just purchased a GR-1 and my main reason for doing so is to run live audio through it and use it as an FX unit.

I run an FX loop from Ableton and want it to be part of an FX chain - can I do this?
I bought a Behringer UCA222 for this purpose but cannot get 'live' audio into the GR-1.

My set up is;

Audio L and R out of my audio interface.
Audio then going into the GR-1 via UCA222
Then audio out back into interface.

I can play samples on the GR-1 fine, no problem at all. But cannot get 'live' audio into it to process.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to “General Gear”