Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

urogijani
Common Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1

Post by urogijani »

I look into the manual tofind out what do you mean. Thanks again !!!
metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 am
urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear :) What do you mean about the UI ? Too much menu diving ? Or bugs ?
metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 am
urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 am Can someone confirm if the build quality of the unit is better now when the machine came out ? Some years ago I was in Berlin and visited the Schneidersladen store and there was a GR-1. I really liked it's look and sound, but somehow the build quality felt horrible. The pots and especially the faders were really wobbly. Maybe it was a really early unit and it was fixed meantime ?! I am looking into getting one, but can't find a store near to try it out again, so I would need to order it directly from Tasty Chips and I am curious if it is still the case or everything is fine with the build quality. Thanks.
I bought one new from Tasty Chips in the second half of 2021. The build quality of the hardware, including knobs, buttons and faders, all seem pretty solid to me. It's the software, the UI, that I personally find clunky (though I have not updated the firmware to the version that just came out, so there might be some improvements to the UI that I have not yet encountered).
Mainly I am referring to the file system, and I find the saving of 'performances' and 'patches' time consuming and unintuitive (saving 'samples' is not so bad).
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

urogijani wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 am Can someone confirm if the build quality of the unit is better now when the machine came out ? Some years ago I was in Berlin and visited the Schneidersladen store and there was a GR-1. I really liked it's look and sound, but somehow the build quality felt horrible. The pots and especially the faders were really wobbly. Maybe it was a really early unit and it was fixed meantime ?!
I picked one up in the middle of 2021, and the build quality is fine.

metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 am Mainly I am referring to the file system, and I find the saving of 'performances' and 'patches' time consuming and unintuitive (saving 'samples' is not so bad).
It looks like this is an area that they've worked on in the latest firmware (which I won't get a chance to install until the weekend.)
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
CorpusCallosum
Common Wiggler

Post by CorpusCallosum »

I got one in 2020 and the build is quite solid. Shouldn't be a worry.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

cbm wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm {...}
metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 am Mainly I am referring to the file system, and I find the saving of 'performances' and 'patches' time consuming and unintuitive (saving 'samples' is not so bad).
It looks like this is an area that they've worked on in the latest firmware (which I won't get a chance to install until the weekend.)
Yeah, I too have the update tabled for a future date, soon. I am looking forward to it, but can't right now.
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I'm glad for the file system update. I always thought that was very confusing. Will install later.
earx
Common Wiggler

Post by earx »

Heads up guys. 2 days after 2.6.0 a serious bug came to light. It has been fixed and it only pertained to the combination of multitimbral and MIDI, but it can cause instability. Yesterday the 2.6.1 bugfix firmware was released on our support page: https://www.tastychips.nl/gr-1-support/. Please upgrade if you haven't done so already.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

I recently got a Roland SP-404 mk2, and in the spirit of "why the heck not?" I decided to try hooking a USB cable between the GR-1 and the SP-404 mk2 to see if the latter would be recognized as an audio interface by the GR-1.

Well, to my great but very pleased surprise, it works! And, not only does it work, I can freely and in real time input a signal that can be (1) external audio coming into the SP-404 mk2, (2) samples residing on, and being played back from the SP-404 mk2, or (3) any combination of the two!

So instead of having to use the janky little Ewent EW3751, I now get have an excellent standalone combined setup of the two instruments working in conjunction.

EDIT: I have uploaded a video demonstrating the USB connection using stock audio samples from the SP-404 mk2 (making it easier for others to reproduce) in real time over a continuous 12-second loop in the GR-1, first engaging straight playback mode and then in granular synthesis playback. You can, of course, use your own samples on the SP-404 mk2, or just as easily route in external audio through the SP-404 mk2's stereo audio inputs while simultaneously sampling it on the GR-1.

Mr. Aloud
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud »

Sold out at the moment, does anyone know if/when the produce another batch?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.
appariitiion
Common Wiggler

Post by appariitiion »

Mr. Aloud wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:48 pm Sold out at the moment, does anyone know if/when the produce another batch?
There are a couple on Reverb that look good. The last time they were OOS for a while.
smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky »

Looks like the Tasty Chips site has just updated to say the lead time for the GR-1 changed from two weeks to only one, and now they're taking pre-orders. In case anyone wants to jump on that train :)

Also, I think the price just dropped while I was placing my order...

https://www.tastychips.nl/
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

smirky wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:28 pm Looks like the Tasty Chips site has just updated to say the lead time for the GR-1 changed from two weeks to only one, and now they're taking pre-orders. In case anyone wants to jump on that train :)

Also, I think the price just dropped while I was placing my order...

https://www.tastychips.nl/
I've never ordered anything from Europe before. What kind of custom fees would you expect from a GR-1 import?
smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky »

Aleyas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:50 pm I've never ordered anything from Europe before. What kind of custom fees would you expect from a GR-1 import?
I’m by no means an expert on the topic, but I’ve ordered a few synth things from makers outside the US in recent years. In my experience, whatever price shows up on their ordering page as you go through the process of adding your shipping info is what you end up paying; nothing has been added after the fact just to get the box over the border.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

I ordered the GR-1 and more recently the ECR+ from Tasty Chips.

Besides the cost of the merchandise, I had to pay the shipping cost (€35 for the GR-1) and a Paypal handling fee (€29.47 for the GR-1). That was it; no customs charges.

I'd say that's pretty reasonable and economical.
jabs
Common Wiggler

Post by jabs »

metamorphmuses wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pmSo instead of having to use the janky little Ewent EW3751, I now get have an excellent standalone combined setup of the two instruments working in conjunction.
Thanks to you, a SP404 Mk2 is now on my radar, hah!
smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky »

Tasty Chips site is now saying there are 6 GR-1s in stock…

:party:
smirky
Common Wiggler

Post by smirky »

This is possibly a dumb question but I've done a bunch of googling and RTFM'ing and apparently can't wrap my head around the host-to-host and class-compliant stuff. Essentially what I was hoping to do is send both MIDI and audio from my DAW into the GR-1 via USB. Is there a single interface that might be able to make that happen?

It looks like the iConnectivity Audio4c might work, but maybe someone out there has info on it already or some other device that works?
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Tasty Chips is making a special edition GR-1 in black.

My color preference in standalone hardware tends to be white, but in this case the GR-1 looks very appealing in black.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

:lolhammer:
Photosinferno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Photosinferno »

That new colour scheme tipped me over the edge ….. I relented and ordered.
Aleyas
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleyas »

Man, and I literally just got a GR-1 like a week ago :doh:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

Aleyas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm Man, and I literally just got a GR-1 like a week ago :doh:
me too. i would have chosen the black one had i known about it.

Return to “General Gear”