Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
Post Reply
stice
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Location: in between

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stice »

Yep, Better p-locking, or even just more p-locks per track, are the one major thing I’d like to see.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

Yes menu divey is not at all how I'd describe it. For 90% of the things you want to do, you have a knob/button for it. I find it fun to use, and of course it really sounds great.
markus.schloesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:19 pm Imho I don't find it too menu divey. Lots of knobs and buttons for direct access. Also depends on where you wanna sequence it from. The groove and swing of the internal sequencer is imo phenomenal and for me quite logical to use but ymmv
Also can't overstate this. It's night and day from an Elektron machine.
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 am

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by lordymosh »

Thanks for the info. :tu:

I'm definitely edging towards this. Also I watched your walk through video of the alpha base. Very good!
Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:51 pm Yes menu divey is not at all how I'd describe it. For 90% of the things you want to do, you have a knob/button for it. I find it fun to use, and of course it really sounds great.
markus.schloesser wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:19 pm Imho I don't find it too menu divey. Lots of knobs and buttons for direct access. Also depends on where you wanna sequence it from. The groove and swing of the internal sequencer is imo phenomenal and for me quite logical to use but ymmv
Also can't overstate this. It's night and day from an Elektron machine.
User avatar
tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1207
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm
Location: boulder,co.

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by tony d »

I definitely don't consider it very deep or complex compared to elektron (machine drum is the only one I've owned) as has been said quite the opposite.
Sequencing internally tok me a bit to get used to saving and the sequencer is very basic ( only 1 plock per instrument) but now I just sequence externally from my cirklon and it's great. I can throw a bunch of CC s at it so it negates the things I found basic or limited.
The best part about this thing in my opinion is it just sounds great (quality, full, impactful) out of the box.
I loved my Machinedrum for the weird stuff but I always felt like it needed a lot of time for me to get some useful stuff out of and It still never quite hit how I wanted. For my style I'm definitely way happier with the alpha base.
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by markus.schloesser »

Another addition: I own a couple of other drum machines / drum synths. And for example the tempest is way more menu driven, the rd8 rather comparable but with lots less sound manipulation potential.
The AB was my first drum machine and while I bought additional ones to broaden my sound palette (mfb502, dr110 modded, 01/iv, volca beats), the AB is my go to and work horse 🐴 😁
konnekshen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:42 am
Location: GER EU

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by konnekshen »

it's also good friend with Spazedrums
Portabella
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm
Location: EU/UK

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Portabella »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:51 pm Also can't overstate this. It's night and day from an Elektron machine.
I'd love a proof of evidence in form of a A/B comparison over this claim.
User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

Sorry I don't have any proof for you apart from the fact that the swing in the AB instantly grooves whereas the swing in my Octa just feels... rigid.
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
stice
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Location: in between

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stice »

How is everyone tracking which kits go with which patterns? I’ve been naming kits with Bank Number and Pattern Number eg DpKit412 for bank 4 pattern 12. Am I missing a better way of keeping Kits and Patterns linked?
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
User avatar
timothyd4y
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pa USA
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by timothyd4y »

stice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:04 pm How is everyone tracking which kits go with which patterns? I’ve been naming kits with Bank Number and Pattern Number eg DpKit412 for bank 4 pattern 12. Am I missing a better way of keeping Kits and Patterns linked?
I have a little notebook next to mine for this purpose. I couldn't find a way to link them in the box. It gives me a reason to use a nice pencil and pad.
Music maker and sound editor. Let's do something!

LinkTree
User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10641
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by dubonaire »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:13 am Sorry I don't have any proof for you apart from the fact that the swing in the AB instantly grooves whereas the swing in my Octa just feels... rigid.
Jomox machines have a groove. It's hard to define but it's definitely there.
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

The only groove any drum machine has is the one that's been created. There are no drum machines with a special groove. The math is the same when it comes to time division- Roger Linn ended that debate quite a while ago.
User avatar
efluon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am
Location: There is no planet Earth

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by efluon »

BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 am The only groove any drum machine has is the one that's been created. There are no drum machines with a special groove. The math is the same when it comes to time division- Roger Linn ended that debate quite a while ago.
It feels like it is still ongoing though? Machines are mostly deterministic, but the results may still vary if there are degrees of freedom inside the algorithms.

E.g. there is something nice about just the right amount of jitter. Especially when it is not the same for all voices. (I really find bad european samba bands more groovy than tight brasilian ones). There are other possible sources of groovy deviations from the precise, and as the Jomox software has other issues, it might include groovy accidents?

I've known people who actually sampled the timing from real drum machines and even from Logic on Atari ST to create groove templates. The R-8 had a feature to apply grooves to whatever patterns you programmed.
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

efluon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:42 am
BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 am The only groove any drum machine has is the one that's been created. There are no drum machines with a special groove. The math is the same when it comes to time division- Roger Linn ended that debate quite a while ago.
It feels like it is still ongoing though? Machines are mostly deterministic, but the results may still vary if there are degrees of freedom inside the algorithms.

E.g. there is something nice about just the right amount of jitter. Especially when it is not the same for all voices. (I really find bad european samba bands more groovy than tight brasilian ones). There are other possible sources of groovy deviations from the precise, and as the Jomox software has other issues, it might include groovy accidents?

I've known people who actually sampled the timing from real drum machines and even from Logic on Atari ST to create groove templates. The R-8 had a feature to apply grooves to whatever patterns you programmed.
Rigid sequencers can be humanized with note-nudge functionality- I'd take that over sloppy clock any day.

That being said, even rigid sequencers without note nudge- like the AB, can be programmed to play back high-level grooves if you know what you're doing- all the tools and functions are there right now to make groovy beats- but it takes work and skill.

Reading the responses on this forum...it's clear that very few people who own an AB actually know why it's special. The p-locking can get clunky at times but it's easily one of the best drum machines out there, past and present.
stice
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Location: in between

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stice »

BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 am Reading the responses on this forum...it's clear that very few people who own an AB actually know why it's special.
Well, why do you think it’s really special?
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
stice
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Location: in between

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stice »

Regarding ‘groove’ I’m entirely in the fence: it’s been proven pretty conclusively that clock/timing differences don’t explain itZ. Yet subjectively I can’t deny that some machines feel a lot better than others, without even trying. Is it envelope shapes? Sample selection? Distortion in the amps or mixers?

It’s a curious situation for sure.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

stice wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:54 am
BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 am Reading the responses on this forum...it's clear that very few people who own an AB actually know why it's special.
Well, why do you think it’s really special?
the analog filters and VCAs make digital samples sound really nice, much like the Spectralis does. the reverb can extend until self oscillation, every sound can have it's own swing settings (as opposed to global swing on most other drum machines), very deep kick-drum shaping functions, Mbrane is another amazing sound designer for percussion sounds, the FM synth, sample and load your own samples with start and end point control, each sound has it's own MIDI channel, step accents, multi mode, hot outputs- you won't need to touch gain controls on any mixer.

You have everything you need to create amazing grooves with the AB. If you know, you know. Can't be taught.
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

stice wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:01 am Regarding ‘groove’ I’m entirely in the fence: it’s been proven pretty conclusively that clock/timing differences don’t explain itZ. Yet subjectively I can’t deny that some machines feel a lot better than others, without even trying. Is it envelope shapes? Sample selection? Distortion in the amps or mixers?

It’s a curious situation for sure.
Not curious to me. I've never met a drum machine I couldn't tame, then again- I put in the work and developed the skills over time. But, big BUT...you need to have the ear as well- I've worked with a world class DJ who produces beats and he always needs to bounce a beat off me to see if it has that 'something', the groove it needs. He has the skills to use all the gear but sometimes can't hear the magic when it happens. Luckily, I was born with that. Can't teach it.
User avatar
minimalist
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by minimalist »

BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:34 am
stice wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:01 am Regarding ‘groove’ I’m entirely in the fence: it’s been proven pretty conclusively that clock/timing differences don’t explain itZ. Yet subjectively I can’t deny that some machines feel a lot better than others, without even trying. Is it envelope shapes? Sample selection? Distortion in the amps or mixers?

It’s a curious situation for sure.
Not curious to me. I've never met a drum machine I couldn't tame, then again- I put in the work and developed the skills over time. But, big BUT...you need to have the ear as well- I've worked with a world class DJ who produces beats and he always needs to bounce a beat off me to see if it has that 'something', the groove it needs. He has the skills to use all the gear but sometimes can't hear the magic when it happens. Luckily, I was born with that. Can't teach it.
WOW! :hihi:
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

Do you find something funny, minimalist? Speak up.
User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

your humility maybe
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
User avatar
stickman
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 am

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stickman »

I've felt this way too after downing £200 on coke
szzdz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by szzdz »

:clap:
BRE
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by BRE »

It's called honesty. I've mastered my craft. If you can't handle that fact you need to take a look at yourself and not judge me- you're the one with the issue- the lack of confidence and skills you don't have obviously bothers you. I'm great at what I do because I spent almost 30 years working at it, not just reading and pondering. I got the loans, I got the gear and I learned everything I needed to know scientifically, and blended that knowledge with my creativity. I was the guy in studio playing my project to my instructor at 9:00 pm on Christmas eve, while most of you were drinking egg nogg spiked with rum. I did all the leg work- went to an audio engineering school, worked with my peers, while helping other students with their projects. I skipped too many parties with my friends to work on beats alone in my room- that was 20 years ago ffs. Hell, I collapsed on the street from not eating and spending the little cash I made on music gear- anything to get better. Put my craft before my relationships- sacrificed everything to be great at something. You wanna bash that? If it makes you somehow feel better, then please go ahead-it won't change the fact that I'm being as real as it gets and your opinion doesn't change that fact. Makes me laugh and cringe at the same time to read ignorant opinions from entitled a-holes who can afford it all- all the toys, but can't make anything with the 'wow' factor, but have mastered the 'yawn' factor. Hey, at least you mastered something. Congrats.
User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10641
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by dubonaire »

efluon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:42 am
BRE wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 am The only groove any drum machine has is the one that's been created. There are no drum machines with a special groove. The math is the same when it comes to time division- Roger Linn ended that debate quite a while ago.
It feels like it is still ongoing though? Machines are mostly deterministic, but the results may still vary if there are degrees of freedom inside the algorithms.

E.g. there is something nice about just the right amount of jitter. Especially when it is not the same for all voices. (I really find bad european samba bands more groovy than tight brasilian ones). There are other possible sources of groovy deviations from the precise, and as the Jomox software has other issues, it might include groovy accidents?

I've known people who actually sampled the timing from real drum machines and even from Logic on Atari ST to create groove templates. The R-8 had a feature to apply grooves to whatever patterns you programmed.
effluon many of the machines have been tested by innerclock Systems https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus
Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”