Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by dubonaire »

Cool
blizzt
Common Wiggler

Post by blizzt »

Hello fellow AB owners, is there a list to know what is the waveform of each LFO? Thanks.
jags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jags »

blizzt wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:51 am Hello fellow AB owners, is there a list to know what is the waveform of each LFO? Thanks.
Great request!!

Also, how about a list of all the sample sounds?

:tu:
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

here you go.
Sample-Liste_Jomox.pdf
(made by another forum member, downloaded this a long time ago and don't remember who...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

Thanks!
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

very useful I use it all the time ahah
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
jags
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jags »

NoGuitars wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:38 am here you go.

Sample-Liste_Jomox.pdf

(made by another forum member, downloaded this a long time ago and don't remember who...)
Thanks so much!! Just what I needed!

:tu:
Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi »

Question for those using their own samples in the Alphabase: how do you process your samples to be exactly 1.35 seconds? What software do you use? Any batch-processing tips? Or do you just throw samples of whatever length into the AB and see what comes out?
m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d »

I just throw them in there. Sometimes I get an audible click at the end of the sample but I just adjust the sample end time to compensate.
Qiqi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Qiqi »

m0rb1d wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:18 pm I just throw them in there. Sometimes I get an audible click at the end of the sample but I just adjust the sample end time to compensate.
Thanks! Today I tried just this and was surprised to find out it actually works without trimming samples to be 1.35 sec. I did notice loud clicks at the end of all samples, and have now found out that this seems to be solved by using .raw format files instead of wav files.

The only weird thing is that the samples never seem to play at their original speed at a Pitch value of 55, which should be the neutral value I believe. The original speed seems to be somewhere at Pitch value 53 plus a Cents value of 20+. Any ideas on why that is happening?
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

So today I join the Alpha Base party…
First off, I had to return the initial unit, because a few knobs were really loose and one in particular was sticky and did not pop up after push down.

The second one is okay. Even though I did not expect the knobs to be that wobbly. I know there are part tolerances… but this…

The initial start was good. Sound is as good as everyone says. No disappointment, here.

I will dig in a bit deeper tonight.

But one question arises straight away:
Did anyone managed to trigger the euro rack systems with the rimshot output.

I would love to use this to clock my Verbos Voltage Multistage.
A quick test did not work out.
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

To answer this myself… one needs to find a sample that is close to a click… turn down decay, sustain, release, attack.
Pitch around 70.

There is a sweetspot with the parameters where triggering a clock is possible.
tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d »

mpeg5 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:03 am So today I join the Alpha Base party…
Have fun, it's definitely a beast!!
I will recommend getting into the habit if saving constantly from the beginning and you will save yourself some sad nights. The saving function is not really intuitive for me and I definitely spent more than one evening going to bed pissed because I accidentally switched patterns and wiped out all my work.
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

Thanks for this advice!
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

Oh boy. We have a rough start.

While I do not think that the workflow in general is not accessible, it has its quirks for sure (that I was aware of by reading almost every post about this machine).

The thing is, I managed to let the unit freeze four times within the first few hours of usage.

There is no way I can replicate this behaviour.
It just happens from time to time.
tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d »

mpeg5 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:50 am Oh boy. We have a rough start.

While I do not think that the workflow in general is not accessible, it has its quirks for sure (that I was aware of by reading almost every post about this machine).

The thing is, I managed to let the unit freeze four times within the first few hours of usage.

Bummer,. I haven't had any issues with the unit freezing and I use it pretty extensive (20+ hours a week)
The first one I got had a problem that I don't quite remember now ( it's been a few years) I contacted jomox and they told me to send it back to perfect circuit so I sent it for a replacement and this second ones been solid.
Good luck, hopefully it's something easy like a reflash of the newest os.
Smartinet
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Smartinet »

mpeg5 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:50 am Oh boy. We have a rough start.

Do you sync it with USB with your daw ?
I bought a second hand AlphaBase a couple of months ago. The synchronisation was made with ableton live with a midi cable, and noticed only a few bugs (e.g. impossible to sync the delay). The first time I plugged it with a USB cable, it freezed completely. I had to use the knob 15 "Mem Init" to make it work again, wich is a pity because I lost all the stored kits.
It's written in the manual that turning off and on the unit would bring back the permanently stored presets, but it didn't :(

And MBrane seems to have wierd behaviours : no sound coming at all when selecting any of the 9 scenes presets. before the huge bug I got, the MBrane was working fine, including the scenes.

I would like to restore the factory settings to see if the bugs disapear, but keeping most of the kits I've done. Where are the kits saved ? I'm afraid to lose all my kits a second time if I load a new AlphaBas.bin on the SD card.
For those who read this, Any help/recommandation would be highly appreciated !
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

No USB. Standalone.
I will return it and get an replacement.

Will report back.
lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh »

Been looking for a proper drum machine and hadn't considered this at all. I have a Pulsar 23 but I think of that more as an extension to my eurorack than a conventional drum machine. Also I find the Pulsar's kick very lacking for what I want and its only 4 channels.

I do like playing techno (135-140 bpm, industrial/hard/trance) but I also like messing around with slower tempos doing some harsh drone stuff with my modular and Pulsar 23.

Think this could be the drum machine for me. I want high sound quality above all else. Is the Alpha Base very menu divey? That's what has put my off the Rytm. I already have an A4 mk2 and Digitakt and would rather not get another Elektron box.
Portabella
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Portabella »

lordymosh wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 am Is the Alpha Base very menu divey? That's what has put my off the Rytm.
If Elektron boxes put you off in terms of operation, the AB certainly is not for you.
lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh »

Damn that's a shame. I'll take a look at some more videos to decide. The kick and overall sounds are great. I could maybe get over the menu dicey aspect if the sound quality is top notch. Which it seems like it is.
Portabella wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:01 pm
lordymosh wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 am Is the Alpha Base very menu divey? That's what has put my off the Rytm.
If Elektron boxes put you off in terms of operation, the AB certainly is not for you.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

Portabella wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:01 pm
I very much disagree with this. Coming from Elektron, AB is very simple. There are at most two pages for the knobs, and a few easy-to-access menus you don’t need very often. In fact, it took me a while to understand how it use the AB because I kept expecting more Elektron-style complexity. Once I understood that it really is as simple as described in the manual, I found it very fast and easy to use.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markus.schloesser »

Imho I don't find it too menu divey. Lots of knobs and buttons for direct access. Also depends on where you wanna sequence it from. The groove and swing of the internal sequencer is imo phenomenal and for me quite logical to use but ymmv
lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh »

Thanks for the added info everybody! I'll probably have a mix of using the internal sequencer or using the Digitakt/A4 midi tracks for sequencing.

I'm watching some more videos right now but leaning towards getting this beast!
mpeg5
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mpeg5 »

Despite my problems in regard of quality (see above) I have to say that it took me only a few hours to get the basic operation. So it is not that hard as one can assume from countless forum posts.

I wish for a few more options, better P-lock, initialise single sounds, ability to safe sound presets.

And of cause that it is stable in the first place. Hopefully the replacement will be.

Return to “General Gear”