Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by stice »

Store Pattern (shift-3) and choose whatever destination slot you want.

Or do you mean copy a pattern from one instrument to another?
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

Stice wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:33 am Store Pattern (shift-3) and choose whatever destination slot you want.

Or do you mean copy a pattern from one instrument to another?
Aha, thank you -- I missed that there was the option to choose the target slot when doing Shift+3

I suppose if there's also a way to copy one instrument's pattern to another then I'd be keen to know that too.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

:tu:

There’s no way to copy patterns between instruments as far as I know.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

I’m seriously thinking of offloading some gear, including my TR09 and TR08, to get the cash for an Alpha Bass but I have a question for any owners. I’ve watched all the demos and reviews and it can clearly do 909 style but can I get 808 style sounds from it too or is it worth hanging on to the TR08 for that?
enno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by enno »

Stu B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:10 am I’m seriously thinking of offloading some gear, including my TR09 and TR08, to get the cash for an Alpha Bass but I have a question for any owners. I’ve watched all the demos and reviews and it can clearly do 909 style but can I get 808 style sounds from it too or is it worth hanging on to the TR08 for that?
Kick drum wise I'd say yes you can, the "EQ" kick drum parameter helps to smooth things out.
the untitled
Common Wiggler

Post by the untitled »

Its deffo a thing to consider with the prices where a 909 are offered for nowadays..
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

The kick drum definitely can get in the ball park with the EQ and second pitch enveloppe. Then I believe you have most other sounds on there as samples which you can then run through the filters/VCA etc...
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Thankyou all 👍🏻

It’s a lot of money for a drum machine but I’m 99% there on buying.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

the untitled wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am Its deffo a thing to consider with the prices where a 909 are offered for nowadays..
There’s a beautiful 909 on Reverb at the moment, absolutely pristine condition, but seriously, its on for £8k!
the untitled
Common Wiggler

Post by the untitled »

Stu B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:13 pm
the untitled wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am Its deffo a thing to consider with the prices where a 909 are offered for nowadays..
There’s a beautiful 909 on Reverb at the moment, absolutely pristine condition, but seriously, its on for £8k!
Are they actually getting sold for 6k++ money?
I bought one for 3k, 3 or 4 years ago, thinking it was waaay to much already back then but i had the chance
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

Stu B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:10 am I’m seriously thinking of offloading some gear, including my TR09 and TR08, to get the cash for an Alpha Bass but I have a question for any owners. I’ve watched all the demos and reviews and it can clearly do 909 style but can I get 808 style sounds from it too or is it worth hanging on to the TR08 for that?
With the exception of the Kick, MBrane, and FM instruments, all of the rest of the instruments are sample based -- so if you would be content with the sound 808/909 samples through analog filters and VCAs, then yes.

The Kick is something like an 808 and 909 BD having a baby on steroids. Very deep and punchy, but perhaps not as smooth as the 808 or tight as the 909. The Mbrane probably will *not* get you into 808/909 SD territory, but is it's own thing.
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markus.schloesser »

tdel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:02 am
With the exception of the Kick, MBrane, and FM instruments, all of the rest of the instruments are sample based -- so if you would be content with the sound 808/909 samples through analog filters and VCAs, then yes.
Not true, you can, for example for the HH, put sample volume on 0 and only use noise based Osc sounds without any samples
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

The Kick is something like an 808 and 909 BD having a baby on steroids. Very deep and punchy, but perhaps not as smooth as the 808 or tight as the 909. The Mbrane probably will *not* get you into 808/909 SD territory, but is it's own thing.
I find the Mbrane really appealing, its very cool. As a percussion instrument It’s just the right amount of weird without being gratuitously far out.
BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd »

If you're into the Alpha Base but some of the 808 sounds (or whatever) aren't quite "there" for you, you can always use the independent outputs as triggers for various modules. That's what I used to do with my 888 and Machinedrum, and it really helped me get the sound I wanted.
FS: Waldorf Microwave XT
Moogerfooger Clusterflux, Ringmod, Phaser, and FreqBox
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

markus.schloesser wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:56 am
Not true, you can, for example for the HH, put sample volume on 0 and only use noise based Osc sounds without any samples
Good point, though the noise is limited to filters + VCAs for shaping.

You can also use the self-resonant filters on the 4 MMF instruments to generate sound.
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

tdel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:23 pm

You can also use the self-resonant filters on the 4 MMF instruments to generate sound.
good idea! haven't tried that (yet) :-)
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

markus.schloesser wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:44 pm
tdel wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:23 pm

good idea! haven't tried that (yet) :-)
That was actually one of the features which got me curious enough about the AB to give it a try. I figured that even if I found working with samples underwhelming or underpowered to, say, my Digitakt, that I'd be keen to try pairing the Kick + MBrane with weird sine bleeps and pings, as well as noise hats and snares. Pure electronic sound.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

I am not very familiar with Midi, so perhaps someone can answer. Currently I sequence my Pulsar-23 drum machine via Torso's T-1 sequencer via Midi. It all works seamlessly without any advanced configuration and I can control Pulsar's gate, pitch, velocity and sustain (essentially gate length) all via T-1 via Midi.

Question - can I control Alpha Base also similarly via Midi? Meaning to specify granular velocity and gate length (aka sustain or decay)? Looked in the manual but there is not much there about velocity apart from Accent, but not sure whether that means I can have many velocity increments.
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

rocknrolla wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:39 pm L

Question - can I control Alpha Base also similarly via Midi? Meaning to specify granular velocity and gate length (aka sustain or decay)? Looked in the manual but there is not much there about velocity apart from Accent, but not sure whether that means I can have many velocity increments.
Check page 112 of the manual. It lists all CC controllable parameters.
Be aware that this done per midi channel, so you need to control all BD parameters on channel 1, SN channel 2 etc.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

markus.schloesser wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:42 pm
rocknrolla wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:39 pm L

Check page 112 of the manual. It lists all CC controllable parameters.
Be aware that this done per midi channel, so you need to control all BD parameters on channel 1, SN channel 2 etc.
Yes I see there's quite a lot of control via Midi. So for example I see that Kick's decay is CC 102 while MBrane's decay is CC 110, so somewhere I have to specify that Torso's Sustain knob on channel 1 would send CC 102 and on channel 2 would send to CC 110.

I am looking at T-1's manual at there I can set CC messages per track for each knob. So I assume I just configure it all there? I am just surprised that for Pulsar-23 all just worked seamlessly, but pretty sure this one I will have to configure.

Finally, does not seem like there is velocity parameter for any of he AB's channels. Or can "volume" can be considered the same thing?
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

Velocity is not cc, but part of the note
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

And I believe the AB is fully velocity sensitive with midi, i.e you get 127 values instead of one for volume and one for accent with the internal sequencer.
instagram
Youtube Modules Demos
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

rocknrolla wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:56 am I am looking at T-1's manual at there I can set CC messages per track for each knob. So I assume I just configure it all there? I am just surprised that for Pulsar-23 all just worked seamlessly, but pretty sure this one I will have to configure.
to be fair, the Pulsar has A LOT less parameters which can be controlled via midi.
Also yes, the AB has full velocity sensitivity
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

That's good to hear! Thanks everyone.
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

a few layers of hats/ride/shakers + a kick of course; along the OB6. What a pair these two make

instagram
Youtube Modules Demos

Return to “General Gear”