Jomox ALPHA BASE

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.
gloamtrotter
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Jomox ALPHA BASE

Post by gloamtrotter »

tony d wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:41 pm I use vector as master and the ab clocks fine just make sure the midi clock is turned on on the ab but that midi rx is off or weirdness will occur.
Thanks for this, it helped me out quite a bit :tu:
charlie2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by charlie2 »

Currently have one on the way and excited to play with it. Curious if anyone here uses it for non-EDM type music? I'm starting to write some less traditional stuff and I'm interested to add this to the mix, but I'd love to see other uses if anyone has them!
entropy_disorder
Common Wiggler

Post by entropy_disorder »

If you are using Midi Ch16 to sequence it, how does midi cc work?

I tried it with Akai Force and tried to cc control the CH decay, there is effect on the sound, but its extremely minor influence….

Is it better functioning when i sequence it with separate midi channels?
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

The enveloppes are ADSR so depending on the sound, the parameter with the more pronounced effect might be Sustain or Release. I don't think it has to do with the midi channels.
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
edoway
Learning to Wiggle

Post by edoway »

Hi all,

my AB shows these 2 bugs:

1) In the FX section, page B it still shows RV at the left side of the screen (instead of DL)
2) In the FM synth, every operator doesn't produce a sine but a more complex tone that changes changing the pitch (even if all modulations are at 0).

Anyone experiences the same problems?

I have the latest OS 1.49.

Thanks!

Big up!

Ed
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick »

charlie2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:50 pm Currently have one on the way and excited to play with it. Curious if anyone here uses it for non-EDM type music? I'm starting to write some less traditional stuff and I'm interested to add this to the mix, but I'd love to see other uses if anyone has them!
Yeah; the best way is to sequence it externally. Then you can do all wild type of stuff that are more tightly controlled and sequence each instrument like a separate voice, very good for IDM type things. Not sure otherwise what you mean by non-EDM...it is a percussion or drum synth derived from electronic sources after all..so within that, there's limits. It's just a very groovy machine though. It makes you want to dance, even if that's not what you intend. That's why I intentionally don't use it in a piece if I want something more meditative and ambient. As where my Gotharman's Spazedrum is kind of the inverse, very much NOT EDM..I don't know how to describe it, just such a different personality. I have mine up for sale now because I'm willing to let it go of the 2 drum machines I own..but if I was able to keep it too, that'd be cool also, different instruments have such different personalities.
toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris »

Anyone noticed a bug after the latest update where the pitch of kickdrum is high even at 0? Anyways something weird happening with kick pitch.
Thanks
markus.schloesser
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markus.schloesser »

The trigger button "remembers" what was played via midi before. Have you tried triggering lower via midi?
astrophage
Common Wiggler

Post by astrophage »

charlie2 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:50 pm Curious if anyone here uses it for non-EDM type music?
Also interested in this. Does the sound pigeonhole the music you make?
toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris »

Is there any way to disable the new mbrane scenes/presets?
Every time I accidentally turn that knob i lose my current edited preset.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Quick question: I have a Acid Rain Constellation which I love for drum sequencing. Is it possible to use that to trigger the instruments on the Alpha Bass and how would I do it?
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom »

I guess a cv to midi module could do it ?
instagram
Data Roaming Records deep techno cassettes & digital
Oecus Podcast Live set from Chateau Perché Festival
Youtube Modules Demos
Jomox Alphabase Sample Pack
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

There are cheap units that convert analog triggers to MIDI. I have a d drum box I used to use for this. It’s cost maybe less than $100 second hand.
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

toumpouris wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:18 pm Is there any way to disable the new mbrane scenes/presets?
You can quick-store the preset (encoder 16 click) after editing.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Tumulishroomaroom wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:01 am I guess a cv to midi module could do it ?
Like Expert Sleepers ES-‘something’.. do they need to go via a DAW or can it go straight into the AB?
toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris »

NoGuitars wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:38 am
toumpouris wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:18 pm Is there any way to disable the new mbrane scenes/presets?
Yeah but still annoying. how then you go back to your saved preset that you just quick stored?
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

toumpouris wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:02 am
NoGuitars wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:38 am
Yeah but still annoying. how then you go back to your saved preset that you just quick stored?
Use the KIT/SEQ button?

OR learn to not use that button when editing the Mbrane, works for me...
escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot »

Can you ‘live record’ or tap your trigs in? If yes, will they be quantised? Can you do unquantised?
seanandroid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seanandroid »

Hi wigglers! New AB owner here. I am running into an external clock sync issue and I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I have contacted JoMoX for their support with little luck on finding a solution.

Here is a video explaining the issue in detail but short form explanation is that internal clock is resetting the LFO to the correct phasing whenever I start and stop the sequencer. However, as soon as I try to clock it externally, the lfo starts at a random phase every time or takes a few bars to find it's clocking. I've tried clocking with ERM Multiclock, Elektron devices, USB via Ableton and it is the same behavior every time.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I am at my wits end.

technomania
Wiggling with Experience

Post by technomania »

Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:50 am Quick question: I have a Acid Rain Constellation which I love for drum sequencing. Is it possible to use that to trigger the instruments on the Alpha Bass and how would I do it?
I’m
Selling a trig to midi module in marketplace.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

seanandroid wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm Hi wigglers! New AB owner here. I am running into an external clock sync issue and I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I have contacted JoMoX for their support with little luck on finding a solution.

Here is a video explaining the issue in detail but short form explanation is that internal clock is resetting the LFO to the correct phasing whenever I start and stop the sequencer. However, as soon as I try to clock it externally, the lfo starts at a random phase every time or takes a few bars to find it's clocking. I've tried clocking with ERM Multiclock, Elektron devices, USB via Ableton and it is the same behavior every time.

Have you tried setting LFsyn to 128?
NoGuitars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NoGuitars »

escargot wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:46 pm Can you ‘live record’ or tap your trigs in? If yes, will they be quantised? Can you do unquantised?
You can live record trigs BUT... it wil activate the metronome, which is super annoying. You can deactivate the metronome, but that takes a few button presses.

All live recordings will be quantized.

The Alpha Base is in many ways an old-school Roland inspired drum machine.
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

NoGuitars wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:08 am You can live record trigs BUT... it wil activate the metronome, which is super annoying. You can deactivate the metronome, but that takes a few button presses.
That's actually incredibly frustrating. My AB is on the way and this takes a bit of the wind out of my anticipation. Well, Thomann has a 30-day return policy so we'll see how it goes.
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

seanandroid wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm Hi wigglers! New AB owner here. I am running into an external clock sync issue and I cannot figure out how to fix it.

mine does the same thing, or its similar. it loses the clock sync for the lfo periodically clocked with ableton/midi. mine seems to be fine %95 of the time, only needing the little catch-up moment sometimes. for me it doesnt happen every time i start clock. i dont know how to stop it from doing it.

hasnt been much an issue for me personally with how i use the machine but i have noticed it, couple times even got a nice happy-accident drum fill

ive owned machine since product launch, im probably not up-to-date on firmware.
BTW is there any reason not to upgrade firmware? i kind of get nervous updating my alphabase because its such an important instrument for me and some of the previous updates changed behaviors in ways i didnt like
tdel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdel »

How can I copy a whole pattern to a different slot, i.e. copy/paste? Is the only way to store the pattern to memory and then load it again on the target slot?

Return to “General Gear”