Nord Drum 2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

blech
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Nord Drum 2

Post by blech » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Those aren't assignable audio outputs. They're analog trigger inputs. So, they only have a stereo output pair.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 pm

blech wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 pm
Those aren't assignable audio outputs. They're analog trigger inputs. So, they only have a stereo output pair.
were you referring to this....
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:20 pm
pro-tip: the Nord Lead 1 & 2 have built in drum engines. You also get four routable outputs so your not smashing it all thru 1 set of stereos. lots of cool hands on control for customizing sounds and full midi cc.
if you were than please re-read as I was referring to the Nord Lead series as an alternative. The 1 & 2 have wicked drum engines and bless you with 4 outputs that can be configured in a few different ways.
TOO FAR GONE

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Easterner wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:41 pm
jkammerl wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:56 am
Given the great feedback I received, I'm going to build another small batch (~10) of MMM controllers (http://kammerl.de/audio/mmm). If you are interested in buying one, please add yourself to the waiting list: https://forms.gle/Ho1aEi15DcMLq4i59. The price will be around 170 Euros + shipping.
Yes! Looking forward to this.
Me too! :yay:
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 am

Sharing a snippet of Nord Drum 2 complemented by the Massive Midi Modulator:

The faster, bubbling, chaotic stuff is the ND2 + MMM. There is some other percussion happening w/ Plaits + Akemie's Taiko.

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:53 am

ATW wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 am
Sharing a snippet of Nord Drum 2 complemented by the Massive Midi Modulator:

The faster, bubbling, chaotic stuff is the ND2 + MMM. There is some other percussion happening w/ Plaits + Akemie's Taiko.
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am

For those that have both, how similar is the basic sound of the Nord Drum to the Nord Modular?

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am

Navs wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am
For those that have both, how similar is the basic sound of the Nord Drum to the Nord Modular?
ND has "that" clavia sound but more on the updated/newschool side (G2, wave, etc). it's very punchy, plastic, colorful-- much like the NM or older leads, but i would say *more* so. in general it's a great sounding unit, wish they'd make a knobby version and then i'd still own one. i'd go as far as to say it's my favorite sounding nord ever, albeit with my least favorite UI.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:13 am

dogoftears wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am
ND has "that" clavia sound but more on the updated/newschool side (G2, wave, etc). ...
Thank you. I can see what you mean - I checked out the 3P at a local shop today. It totally reminded me of the MM but it was doing tricks that you'd need a G2 for. Is that what you mean?

Certainly the bells were dead ringers for the NM1's Vocal Filter (aka Clavia RES-4). The snares seemed to have more crack to them but the kicks were familiar. I only had in-ear headphones, but it sounded very good.

Classic. I've missed the boat on the ND2. Is the 3P a disappointment to those who've used both? I told the guy in the shop I didn't need the pads, but you know, they were actually a big part of the fun factor. I found myself responding to the dynamic changes that are 'patched in'. My only concern is that it becomes some sort of s(h)tick; like ribbon controllers ;)

Anyway, I'm inspired and will return to the anti-GAS G2 drum kit I started patching yesterday :hihi:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 am

not just tricks you'd need a G2 for, but overall i find the sound just a bit "shinier and newer" then the older nords.

i havent used the 3P, i believe it's nearly the same except it is missing 1 or 2 synthesis parameters? someone else could chime in. but i will say that if i went back to nord drum land i think i might as well mess with the pads, since that somehow makes up a bit for the not-knobby interface. i think it comes down to whether you'll actually record yourself playing the pads, or if they make a useful midi controller in your studio. and then ND2s are quite overpriced on the used market right now...

clavia, if your listening, please make a knobby nord drum with individual outputs. we will all buy it.

Navs wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:13 am
dogoftears wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am
ND has "that" clavia sound but more on the updated/newschool side (G2, wave, etc). ...
Thank you. I can see what you mean - I checked out the 3P at a local shop today. It totally reminded me of the MM but it was doing tricks that you'd need a G2 for. Is that what you mean?

Certainly the bells were dead ringers for the NM1's Vocal Filter (aka Clavia RES-4). The snares seemed to have more crack to them but the kicks were familiar. I only had in-ear headphones, but it sounded very good.

Classic. I've missed the boat on the ND2. Is the 3P a disappointment to those who've used both? I told the guy in the shop I didn't need the pads, but you know, they were actually a big part of the fun factor. I found myself responding to the dynamic changes that are 'patched in'. My only concern is that it becomes some sort of s(h)tick; like ribbon controllers ;)

Anyway, I'm inspired and will return to the anti-GAS G2 drum kit I started patching yesterday :hihi:
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 am
clavia, if your listening, please make a knobby nord drum with individual outputs. we will all buy it.
seriously. it's like they hate money if they don't. i wonder if synth companies pay attention to the prices of their decommed models for design direction.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:10 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 pm
dogoftears wrote:
seriously. it's like they hate money if they don't. i wonder if synth companies pay attention to the prices of their decommed models for design direction.

it's doubly confounding considering that clavia historically makes what i think of as some of the absolute best synth UIs.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:33 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:10 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 pm
dogoftears wrote:

it's doubly confounding considering that clavia historically makes what i think of as some of the absolute best synth UIs.
Hugely frustrating. I went looking for a ND2 in a shop in HK which did have one in stock according to its website but they sold it a few days before I arrived and only had 3Ps. So stupidly without researching I bought a Nord Lead 4 Rack because I thought it had the drum feature, only to find out when I got it home that Nord discontinued that feature in the NL4!

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Is the drum synth similar to the one in the NM1/G2?
G2 Drum Synth.jpg
If so, is this what the Nord Drum 1 is restricted to, i.e. is it missing the other options like the resonators, FM etc. and clap envelope?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyberPaul_2020
1-Post Wiggler

Post by CyberPaul_2020 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 am

Hi, because this thread was helpful I registered just to post the following (also posted on Nord forums):

I have a Nord Pad but no Drum, so I wanted to adapt the Pad to trigger any drum module.

I can confirm the final two pins of the RJ45 are voltage and neutral. #8 is neutral, pin #7 is positive voltage.

The purpose of the voltage input (as in, electricity supplied BY the Nord Drum TO the Nord Pad) #7 is to amplify the signals from the drum pads. Inside the Pad there are two amplifier chips (Z974 see data sheet https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos467h/slos467h.pdf). You don't necessarily need this voltage, as without a power supply the output from the pads will still come out from wires #1-6, as long as you wire up all the triggers to the shared neutral #8. If your drum module is able to respond to the low voltage output without amplification you'll be fine without the amplifier chips and won't need to wire up #7.

If you do need amplification, you probably won't need much voltage. The Z974 chips are rated 2.7V - 15V for their input voltage but I found I was able to get a good signal boost just from a minimal voltage. I found the chips heat up with a higher voltage so it'd be best to use the minimum voltage you need to trigger your module adequately. When I wire everything up properly I will try installing two AAA batteries (3V) but you could also power by USB (5V).

I don't have access to a Nord Drum 2 so I don't know what voltage it outputs as standard.

The Nord Drum 2 is pretty hard to find, even second-hand, but I was able to buy a Nord Pad brand new on clearance. So if you're willing to do a basic bit of electronics to wire it up, the Nord Pad is still an attractive and probably cheap option.

(Update: I worked how to trigger my module (Yamaha RM50) from a low voltage so do not need the voltage input).

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 am

yey!!! i finally have an ND2 .
fucking rad machine. it's a real pleasure to sit with :D
press a parameter - turn a knob. It's really simple to program. sure it could have more knobs - but i dont think it's essential.
i have literally just pulled it out of the box and sat down for roughly an hour - manual free...and i could work out most functions!!!
wow @ the MMM - i was just thinking the other day about such a device....glad someone already made something!

midirobot
Common Wiggler

Post by midirobot » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:35 am

love for the ND2 sound also ! works also well for plucky/percussive synth sound,noise are also great
opz random velocity by step with dynamic parmeter (DYNTIMB/DYNFILTER) make really expressive sounds

a lot of sound design option in little package

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:55 am

are the sound design differences between 2 and 3p really that different that it warrants a $3-500 premium? ..some sellers don't even have the drum pads which the 3p comes with. i'm no percussionist, but they look like they'd be really fun to play with.

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:35 am

Aren't the sound design features on the 3p enhanced compared to the 2? I thought the premium was for the extra outs... If you're just sampling individual hits or don't mind having less outputs then I imagine the 3p is a strong alternative

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:42 am

I've had all three of the nord drums - the superiority of the 2s sound engine over the 3p is overstated - it has 2 extra parameters (one of which is an attack stage) but lacks some FX. The 2 has the trigger inputs obviously, which is a loss if triggering from modular, though the 3p has those pads. Win win really - the 2 and 3p are great machines. The one is pretty cool too in a far more stripped down way.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:17 pm

tIB wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:42 am
I've had all three of the nord drums - the superiority of the 2s sound engine over the 3p is overstated - it has 2 extra parameters (one of which is an attack stage) but lacks some FX. The 2 has the trigger inputs obviously, which is a loss if triggering from modular, though the 3p has those pads. Win win really - the 2 and 3p are great machines. The one is pretty cool too in a far more stripped down way.
Having had the two and the three I totally agree. I just miss the form factor of the 2. I wish they'd pushed that out as an option with the 3.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:38 am

after posting - i sat down for a few nights with the manual. And know some more of the features.
my mind is totally blown by this thing. i mean - im listening to it before i even process the sounds in my daw and im wetting my pants.
i cant wait to hear the effects of non quantized electronic funk. the 170euro midi automation box looks absolutely batshit bonkers....devines demo is unholy. absolute idm insanity!

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:00 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:38 am
after posting - i sat down for a few nights with the manual. And know some more of the features.
my mind is totally blown by this thing. i mean - im listening to it before i even process the sounds in my daw and im wetting my pants.
i cant wait to hear the effects of non quantized electronic funk. the 170euro midi automation box looks absolutely batshit bonkers....devines demo is unholy. absolute idm insanity!
It is bonkers. One sound-designish thing I’ve been trying with the MMM and ND2 is to have tons of modulation going on everything, and then use the channel mute button on the MMM to ‘pause’ the parameter animation when it lands somewhere good, going through each channel to create a semi-random new drum sound out of the paused Midi CC values for each. Fun way to dial in the sounds of a drum kit.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:29 pm

figure i'll ask here before lighting up the other 3p thread - anyone use a midi looper with theirs? i want to play the pads and get a groove going so i can play over top. i figure an audio looping pedal might be cheaper, but timing issues on rhythmic loops makes that a less than ideal option - getting a perfect loop is frustrating. bastl midi looper is only 3 channels, but honestly more voices than that might be busy anyway - so that's a contender. the midiphy loopa definitely fits the bill, but it's expensive. lastly there's always using a DAW, but synths are a leisure activity and i want to keep computers out of it. so i'm posting here wondering if i missed something or should consider something else.

i have a westlicht performer which has a record midi mode, but not sure how dynamic the information is.. imagine it's only notes and not velocity. haven't had a chance to look at that, my 3p only arrived today.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:35 pm

nice post dooj, i'm also interested to see what answers you get :-)

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:39 am

I don’t use a looper but I do have tons of fun with DrumKid.

Thread here. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/view ... 5#p3290725

Return to “General Gear”