Linnstrument into Old Blue Bug Modular

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

tIB
Stainer!

Linnstrument into Old Blue Bug Modular

Post by tIB » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:08 am

So here's a thing - probably would have been more suited to a video demo but I don't video so...

MPE into Old Blue Bugbrand modular, courtesy of Expert Sleepers FH1 & FHX, played by Roger's rather lovely Linnstrument! More proof of concept than musical statement, I hope to put something together with this config in the coming weeks...

Patch is two voices of polyphony, with the Linnstrument controlling all the modulation and pitch. See what you make of it - I played at a few different octaves to give an idea of the patch in different ranges, and back off the background drones at one point... was aiming to demo the expression.

I'll post a patch pic later if anyone is interested - basically quad sines into wavefolders, filters and frequency shifters. I was aiming for something like a an angry bug string instrument.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Re: Linnstrument into Old Blue Bug Modular

Post by Kent » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:05 am

Fookin' Sweet! I'd like to see your patch and learn how you are learning to play the Linnstrument. I've got one and have only messed about with it on my SSP. I should really dive in deeper.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:05 am

Cheers! Here's the patch - I'll follow up with a bit on playing later on...

Patch is a little clumsy - sometimes purposely, sometimes as a result of chopping bits around part way into it. At one point I had each frequency shifter fed by the other voices quad sine which made for some nice harmonics. I'll go back to that...

So I have gates feeding envelopes just to nudge the filter up a little so sound just passes - then I'm using aftertouch for opening the filter further and modulating the wavefolder, also modulated by y control. Goes through the ptdelays with the inverted wavefolder added to this via y control and LPG.
IMG_20210308_123508798.jpg

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:38 pm

So playing wise take what I say with a bit of a pinch as I'm certainly no virtuoso - I can play lots of things... I can play none of them well!

I've had the linnstrument a few years now - 3 or 4 maybe? I tend to play two handed but with only a couple of notes at a time, regardless of whether I have the option of more voices. Prior to this I've been playing hardware synths - I had the xpander set up with mpe for a while, then tried the micromonsta and settled on the modor nf1.

I built a little live set on that with a few other bits so put quite a bit of practice in prior to that - it's not particularly tricky to play, just takes a while to build the feel for it. Different hardware responds in different ways too - the axoloti is about the most expressive thing I've played with it, though the few patches I've built in the modor are great even if they lack the dynamic range/velocity response of the axo (I use that with a sensel morph in a different config).

Practicing for that gig helped a lot in developing feel. I've got a little corner of the studio where I've kept that setup together, and I periodically noodle around on it, practicing things I worked out before and finding out new stuff. It's very simple playing, though for me the linnstruments strengths are in it's bending and modulation rather than chords and such. There are some incredible linnstrument players out there - Fontaine Burnett is worth a YouTube if you like jazz!

For me though it's another way of playing simple but expressive duophonic sounds - it's a blurring of electronic and accoustic in my head. It's nice to finally get around to configuring with the bug too as it's been on the list for a long time...

If you have any questions Kent fire away!

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Very nice - Linnstrument owner myself. Bought it more for being able to apply my guitar skills, which are far greater than keys, than the MPE.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 am

northerntao wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm
Very nice - Linnstrument owner myself. Bought it more for being able to apply my guitar skills, which are far greater than keys, than the MPE.
Thanks! I'm not sure I'm any more skilled at one than the other - average at both. What's kind of interesting is that I seem to know where to find my notes, despite not actually knowing what notes they are - sort of automatic. Perhaps it's just practice/memory.

Did you find you were able to translate you're guitaring?

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:03 pm

tIB wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 am

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm any more skilled at one than the other - average at both. What's kind of interesting is that I seem to know where to find my notes, despite not actually knowing what notes they are - sort of automatic. Perhaps it's just practice/memory.

Did you find you were able to translate you're guitaring?
I suppose I’m flattering myself a bit - I’m more of a terrible keyboard player than a great guitarist, but I get by well enough to play in a local punk band as a hobby. Not quitting my day job by any means!

I find the most comfortable use is to split the board - I have the bigger one - and play different synths on different MIDI channels. I play chords with my left hand, with a pad, stringy or brassy patch and my right hand for scales / arps / soloing. Its kind of opposite playing a guitar, at least as a righty, as normally my left hand would be fretting, but the knowledge of the fretboard transfers nicely.

freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:29 pm

That recording is unreal!! I loved it.
This unit was totally off my radar. Incredible.
WANT TO BUY:
Bugbrand/Scrotum Lab - Le Seq, Le Seq Expander, Radio Music

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:52 pm

I've wondered about setting up splits do I can quantize chords more heavily while keeping the right hand looser in terms of tuning snap. I play chords with my left so rarely that I haven't, although it's only just occured to me I could probably do everything on the same channels and switch in and out of the split when needed.

With the fretboard transference perhaps that's why I seem to know where things are on the linnstrument? That said I don't do runs and stuff - I tend to stick to overly simple stuff with varying degrees of expression.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:02 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:29 pm
That recording is unreal!! I loved it.
This unit was totally off my radar. Incredible.
I somehow missed this - thanks for the kind words!

Anyhow, I pulled a little album out of this config - thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=247365

Album here:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 am

tIB wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:02 pm
Anyhow, I pulled a little album out of this config - thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=247365

Album here:
I listened again today... Yummy :sb: :sb: :sb:

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 am

nice noiz
! )

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks folks - it's a bit raw but I like it that way sometimes!

freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth » Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 am

I know you mentioned you don’t do videos -
But I’d kill to see this in action! Ever since you made this thread I’ve been watching tons of Linnstrument videos. I would love to see one with a bug rig!!
WANT TO BUY:
Bugbrand/Scrotum Lab - Le Seq, Le Seq Expander, Radio Music

Return to “BugBrand Devices”