Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, computer controlled, flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Post by flight » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 pm

This is a placeholder for information and discussion about the desktop INM. The INM-D will have all the features of the INM-E and the INM- Exp (about halfway down the page) in a desktop/portable unit. As with the original INM, it will have a wood enclosure and 1/4" jacks. Please feel free to post any suggestions or comments you may have here. Input on a 5U versionis also welcome.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Re: Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Post by justin3am » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were going to do another run of stand alone units. I planned to put my INM-E and expander in their own little skiff case. I definitely want the euro version but may consider the stand alone as well. Will the stand alone version have all the same patch points as the euro version or more like the original? Patch points on the back?

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm

justin3am wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm
Oh wow, I didn't realize you were going to do another run of stand alone units. I planned to put my INM-E and expander in their own little skiff case. I definitely want the euro version but may consider the stand alone as well. Will the stand alone version have all the same patch points as the euro version or more like the original? Patch points on the back?
Oh, sorry, it had been asked both on twitter and in the INM-E thread, so I didn't think to mention it anywhere else. As for your questions, that's part of the reason for this thread - to get some feedback and opinions on the enclosure. My plan is everything and the kitchen sink, so everything the INM-E has plus what the expander has, as well as what y'all's feedback might also determine to be a necessity. so the stats to ponder:

Original desktop INM in wood housing
Width: 12.25"
Depth: 6.6"
Height: front: 3.5", rear: 2.06", without feet
Number of 1/4" I/O jacks: 9 total (fc1 CV, fc2 CV, Range CV, Freq CV, VCO CV, VCA1 CV, VCA2 CV, Ext In, Out)
Number of pots: 20
Number of rotary switches: 3
Number of toggle switches: 3

INM-D, based on existing INM-E and in similar style of housing
Width: at least 13.5"
Depth: ? (depends on jacks)
Height: ? (depends on jacks)
Number of 1/4" I/O jacks: 40 total
INM-E
  • VCF1: CV, In, Out
  • VCF2: CV, In, Out
  • IMP: Freq CV, Range CV, Freq Width, Range Width
  • Coarse Joystick: Range In, Range Out,Frequency In, Frequency Out
  • Fine Joystick: Range In, Range Out,Frequency In, Frequency Out
  • VCO Out: Square, Ramp, Saw, Triangle, Sine
  • Imp: Noise Out
  • VCO In: CV, External modulation source, Modulation depth CV
  • VCA1: CV, In, Out
  • VCA2: CV, In, Out
INM-Exp
  • LFO Out: Square, Ramp, Saw, Triangle, Sine
  • LFO In: CV
Number of pots: 22 (add LFO CV level and LFO CV)
Number of rotary switches: 3
Number of toggle switches: 5

To accommodate all 40 jacks in the same housing geometry, with just a 4x10 wall of jacks on the back on roughly 7/8" / 22mm centerline spacing, gives ~5" rear and ~3.5" front height, including feet. Not too bad, dimensionally, but a horrific jack layout from a user standpoint, I'd think. I'd definitely have to weight the box so it doesn't tip backwards from all those cables, at least.

So, the questions:

Are all those jacks necessary/desired from a potential use standpoint for this format?
Is that jack density good or bad?
What kind of accessibility and visibility would users prefer? All on the back? Some on the sides? some or all on the front panel instead (Like extending the top of the front panel by a couple inches and having the patchbay above the controls? Perhaps a breakout cable and box? Side "wing" patchbays that butt up on the left and right of the main unit (and would probably fold over the front panel to protect it during transport)?

And so on, and so on. Any input would be greatly appreciated - I want to make it as usable as possible.
~flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:35 pm

Pictures of the INM-D final prototype in the Blood Box! Notes: Stain will be even on actual product; this was the experimental case. Logo shown is paper, final will be vinyl protected with a clear coat. The color is actually darker, but my phone camera brightens everything.
INM-D-open1_1920.jpg
INM-D-front_1920.jpg
INM-D-FR_1080.jpg
INM-D-Bottom_1920.jpg
INM-D-FT_1920.jpg
INM-D-FB_1920.jpg
~flight

jsu
Common Wiggler

Post by jsu » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:44 pm

That looks totally awesome!!!!! One thing I think could very useful with this is the option for some lighting. Might be a bit left field, but a USB port on each side for those flexible 5v LED lights could be helpful.

Will the lid detach completely? That is always a nice touch in case you have gear placement where the lid is currently when open.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:43 pm

Here's a family photo with an INM-E and QPB for scale:
20211107_141926.jpg
jsu wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:44 pm
That looks totally awesome!!!!! One thing I think could very useful with this is the option for some lighting. Might be a bit left field, but a USB port on each side for those flexible 5v LED lights could be helpful.
:hmm: It is a neat idea and I really like it but it'd require redesigning the power supply, panel, and several PCBs, as well as adding to the cost.
Will the lid detach completely? That is always a nice touch in case you have gear placement where the lid is currently when open.
Yup, it does detach completely. It's just propped behind the INM for the photo.
~flight

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:07 pm

I love the look. I tend to like larger boxes with some space to move around.

Some feedback:

I like dense jack field over cables draped across modules so I am a fan of your approach. Personally, I’d prefer bananas but I also have several 5u systems that are 5 MOTM wide by 2 rows so clearly I don’t mind 1/4 jacks either.

I like the jacks on the side more than below in this instance. I just like the cables out of the way. And the short runs are nice. This boxes will really benefit from those A cables synthesizer.com offers, too bad there isn’t 3 and 6 inch versions yet of those cables.

I like all mod cv up on the front and visible. I don’t mind audio jacks meant to head off to the mixer or another box being on the back.

I suggest as much normalization between jacks as possible to cut down on cables for common routes.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:04 pm

bphenix wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:07 pm
I love the look. I tend to like larger boxes with some space to move around.

Some feedback:

I like dense jack field over cables draped across modules so I am a fan of your approach. Personally, I’d prefer bananas but I also have several 5u systems that are 5 MOTM wide by 2 rows so clearly I don’t mind 1/4 jacks either.

I like the jacks on the side more than below in this instance. I just like the cables out of the way. And the short runs are nice. This boxes will really benefit from those A cables synthesizer.com offers, too bad there isn’t 3 and 6 inch versions yet of those cables.

I like all mod cv up on the front and visible. I don’t mind audio jacks meant to head off to the mixer or another box being on the back.

I suggest as much normalization between jacks as possible to cut down on cables for common routes.
Thank you for the feedback! All feedback is taken into account when designing products, so this is very helpful.

Here's the block diagram for the INM-D, showing the normalizations.
INM-D-block-diagram.jpg
~flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Storage add-on options for the Blood Box. The AC wall adapter with its two loops, rubber securing pad, and leather strap are included with each Blood Box.

Here's one example of add-on arrangement. Two 4-5oz. leather pouches, one 8"Wx4"Hx"D, the other 12.25"Wx3.25"Hx1"D, both with a rigid ABS backing support to prevent sagging. (The leather in these pictures is some ancient leather leftover from when I made armor and motorcycle gear, I'll use better cuts for orders.) The two Footman Loops on the side are tie down points for larger items and can be arranged in whatever way desired (thanks to jsu for the idea!).
INM-D_Options_1.jpg
INM-D_Options_2.jpg
INM-D_Options_3.jpg
INM-D_Options_4.jpg
INM-D_Options_5.jpg
INM-D_Options_6.jpg
The pouches snap to the lid and are easily removed. I used heavy-duty small snaps that last at least 20 years, in my experience (none have failed yet). These pouches hold quite a bit; I don't have many short 1/4" studio cables, so I put in the shortest ones I had as an example. The long pouch has two 18" (not including the plugs), one 24", one 32", and one 36" cable, and one 12" XLR-1/4" cable. I'd guess it can hold at least ten of the 8" or 12" cables. The smaller pouch could hold maybe five or six.

Another layout is one large 8"Wx7"Hx1"D pouch that fills the left side and one smaller 5.5"Wx3.25"Hx1"D in the spot below the adapter. I'm avoiding putting pouches on the right side to allow cable clearance when leaving units patched.

Now I'm gonna make the no-frills case (base only, plain walnut with protective top coat and no hardware other than the VESA mount and four feet).
~flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm

And pictures of the Minimal Case:
INM-D-MinimalCase_topangle.jpg
INM-D-MinimalCase_top.jpg
INM-D-MinimalCase_bottom.jpg
~flight