Troubles with Imp

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, computer controlled, flight

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Troubles with Imp

Post by the_laconic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 pm

I've built an Imp, but it's not working right. I think.

When I first tested, I found a few shorts and corrected them, and was able to plug it in without setting the house on fire. Then it acted like a simple VCO. I reflowed anything that looked dodgy, and it behaved a little more interestingly. Repeated, and more complex behavior emerged. But still it's kind of... I think it should be doing more than this.

Is there a schematic available? I'm checking for continuity/bridges, but especially on the chips I don't know what's supposed to be connected and what's not. Or what pins should be powered and how much.

Failing that, can anyone offer me some Imp-specific advice?

I was originally thinking that this was the smoothest SMD build I've had so far, and was going to rave about this lead-free solder paste I'm trying, but it's not smooth, and I suspect half the problem is the solder paste.

jsu
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Troubles with Imp

Post by jsu » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Here are the manuals:

http://www.flightofharmony.com/ownermanuals/

pictures of your solder work will be helpful!

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Yeah, the manuals, especially for the Imp, are a bit... condensed.

I think it actually might be working, and I just need to play with it, but I will post pictures.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Photos are attached. The grippers on the pots are just soldered in one place, rather than having the hole filled in with a great big glob.
Attachments
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG
IMG_4827.JPG

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'd almost rather post nudes than pictures of my soldering... :)

R_bot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by R_bot » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:24 am

The fine controls are most apparent in high domains. Width is applicable to fine only and makes them even finer.

I feel like Low 3/4 is a good place to start, and play around with the coarse controls.

Then when you start loosing yourself in the hypnotic sounds, I say move into fine with fully open width....then narrow the width.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm
Thanks in advance for any advice. I'd almost rather post nudes than pictures of my soldering... :)
Wat... This is gorgeous work. And it all looks correct at first glance. Upload a video or sound file so I can get an idea of what you are running into.
Here are the power traces of the main PCB, let me know if you need more.
IMP-K-power-traces.jpg
the_laconic wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm
Yeah, the manuals, especially for the Imp, are a bit... condensed.
They are, but I am open to suggestions! I almost never get any feedback and am left to assume everything's fine; any input is greatly appreciated. I want to make these easier for everyone.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 pm

flight wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm
the_laconic wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm
Wat... This is gorgeous work. And it all looks correct at first glance. Upload a video or sound file so I can get an idea of what you are running into.
Great! Thanks. I think it really is working, and it's just a subtle beast, but I will do that. I ran it through the Monsoon and it was fascinating. I'm still on board to try the other f(h) kits.

I have to say it was a good SMD build in the end, but I think I was thrown by the lead-free solder paste. It seemed to be working great, but I ended up with hidden or hard-to-find shorts in the electrolytic caps and the ICs. At least with leaded solder paste it was obvious where it sucked...

I'll let you know if I think of how to edit the manual. Thanks for being cool.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am

Here's some audio. The first half is low-frequency stuff, and the second half high-frequency. Watch your ears...

https://soundcloud.com/user-999053702/n ... GaFNzkKPSS

The power checks out everywhere.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:42 pm

That clip sounds about right.

I recorded a quick & crappy demo from my IMP-K. I switch through the domains, add a triangle LFO to the Frequency input, then switch the domains a few more times.
IMP-K test audio

Honestly, the IMP is boring af without some CV. You can find some cool spots, but it needs CV.

But yeah, as for manuals, instructions, anything: I have no pride here, let me know when something is wrong or poorly received. I want your money and for you to be happy to throw it at me. ;)
~flight

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:42 pm

OK, I've got Marbles feeding the frequency CV on the Imp, and I'm blending it with the Ensemble Oscillator fed with the same CV, then running the result through Monsoon... nothing too fancy, but I'm just beginning.

It sounds fantastic. Unsettling and cinematic.

You can have more of my money... does anyone have Plague Bearer kits in stock? Thonk and MA are out.

jsu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Would you mind sharing audio? We'd love to hear it!

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Happy to! Here's two minutes of... "audio" is the word for it. :)

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:47 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:42 pm
OK, I've got Marbles feeding the frequency CV on the Imp, and I'm blending it with the Ensemble Oscillator fed with the same CV, then running the result through Monsoon... nothing too fancy, but I'm just beginning.

:eek: That. Is. Beautiful. Mind if I tweet that?
You can have more of my money... does anyone have Plague Bearer kits in stock? Thonk and MA are out.
I just sent a stock order to Thonk but it might still be in customs hell, and I haven't heard from MA in a bit. I can have a kit ready to go for Monday if you want though. They're $94.00 + $9.50 S&H for your location. Email me and I'll send you a Paypal invoice.
~flight

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:55 pm

flight wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:47 pm
the_laconic wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:42 pm

:eek: That. Is. Beautiful. Mind if I tweet that?
I just sent a stock order to Thonk but it might still be in customs hell, and I haven't heard from MA in a bit. I can have a kit ready to go for Monday if you want though. They're $94.00 + $9.50 S&H for your location. Email me and I'll send you a Paypal invoice.
Thank you! Absolutely you can tweet that.

Email is coming... I'm looking forward to building that.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sun May 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I finally tried something that I've been meaning to do since I got into modular (recently) -- use it for modifying sound from my touch guitar.

This is a simple example: I have the touch guitar running into a Befaco Instrument Interface, with the dry signal going directly to the mixer. The envelope from the envelope follower controls the VCA for the Imp. The Swamp controls the frequency for the Imp. Output from the Imp goes to the mixer. So the guitar is accompanied by shrieks...

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am

That's an interesting sound, lots of potential. Give it a bit of vibrato and some random staccato gating and it'd be like a chorus of small birds accompanying the guitar.
~flight

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Mon May 03, 2021 12:41 pm

flight wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am
That's an interesting sound, lots of potential. Give it a bit of vibrato and some random staccato gating and it'd be like a chorus of small birds accompanying the guitar.
I'm going to give that a shot I think... thanks, f(h).

Return to “Flight of Harmony”