Selling a Modcan A / Cynthia system. Value? Where?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rikardjh
Common Wiggler

Selling a Modcan A / Cynthia system. Value? Where?

Post by rikardjh » Sun May 02, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi,

Considering selling my Modacan A system (talk me out of it please). These are getting exceedingly rare and I'm not sure what I should try to get for it and where to post it (if anywhere else except here and Reverb).

I have the following modules / cases:

Cynthia:
2x 6 pac with Cyntha universal busboard
1x Dual ADSR
1x Universal Event Generator
1x Six input mixer
1x Midi Interface / Banana -> 6.3"
1x Dual Sawtooth Animator

Modcan:
2x 01A Oscillator
1x 02A Lowpass Filter
1x Super Delay 30A
1x Spring Reverb 35A with tank

Other
1x VCA PANNER 21A (not working / needs repair).

NO POWER SUPPLY

I think I would want to sell it as a package.

Appreciate help

Thanks
Attachments
modcan_a.jpg

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Re: Selling a Modcan A / Cynthia system. Value? Where?

Post by kindredlost » Sun May 02, 2021 2:17 pm

A beautiful setup!

I'll be that guy and tell you I have no idea of the worth of the system and if it were me I'd just list it for what YOU think it's worth and see how it floats.

That sometimes is the only way to know.

I do agree it is a rare system in general. Best of luck. Someone will definitely want it. Try the Buy/Sell/Trade section here.

rikardjh
Common Wiggler

Post by rikardjh » Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 pm

Thanks Kindredlost, and good point. Didn't necessary mean "rare" as in rare and therefore valuable, just that I don't see them for sale often, so hard to check what the going rate is. Looks like Bruce Duncan is still taking order for some of these modules so I guess that's one point of reference.

Xomrys
Common Wiggler

Post by Xomrys » Sun May 02, 2021 8:32 pm

When I've seen them, they've been priced similarly to used STS or vintage Serge of the same functionality. In other words, absolutely not cheap, but not ridiculous collector prices either. That may be inaccurate because I looked at listing not sale prices. Still, that is my impression.

You might want to check the usual avenues. Sold prices on Reverb and Ebay, also past VEMIA auction results. Then keep in mind a general upturn in prices.

Then use Serge price guide to guess how the sales break down proportionally per module (i.e. a filter is worth 'X' times an oscillator), with some creative guesswork re: modules that don't have obvious counterparts.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun May 02, 2021 9:37 pm

I'll be the talk you out of it voice. If you don't *have to* sell it. Don't.

it's a lovely compact system.

Against that, why -besides needing money- are you thinking about selling it?

In my personal experience, everything I've *had to* sell for money has been regretted. Sometimes re-purchased. Sometimes that's not really an option because the thing I sold *was* rare and has only gotten more expensive. The things i felt and still feel good about selling were sold for other reasons besides a need for some cash.

It sucks when you have to sell something you'd really rather keep. It doesn't suck to sell something because you really just want it gone. Or that you'd rather have the money than the thing. Have to vs. choice makes all the difference for me.

I don't know how you really feel about this system; there aren't many clues in your post. Besides talk me out of it. So I'll again say i'd try to keep it.

rikardjh
Common Wiggler

Post by rikardjh » Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks for the KSS! I think the main reason I'm considering parting with the system is because I have a pretty big eurorack setup and trying to scale down in general. Haven't really used the system in a couple of years so figured someone else might have more use out of it. Easy to keep things, hard to part with them for sure :) Not in a situation where I have to sell luckily, so we'll see.

And thanks for the input Xomrys, Sold prices on Reverb is my usual goto, but came up pretty empty this time. Found some results on VEMIA though!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon May 03, 2021 12:05 am

Well, if money's not the reason, there's another method I've seen used and sometimes been part of. A museum or studio style semi-permanent loan.

Choose the loanee carefully and write it up. You retain ownership, the synth gets used, and when-if you ever want it back, or want to complete a sale to the person who has it on loan -or someon else- you can. It's done all the time in all kinds of adult hobbies. Cars, boats gear, tools, and the aformentioned studios and museums. It might be the right choice for a piece like this. It's just such a quirky selection of modules that seems like it would be great fun to use.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

rikardjh wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 pm
Looks like Bruce Duncan is still taking order for some of these modules so I guess that's one point of reference.
Nope. Bruce is recovering from serious health issues.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 pm

Be careful with museums: I have heard of things being sold/lost/given away

rikardjh
Common Wiggler

Post by rikardjh » Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 am

ear ear wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm
Nope. Bruce is recovering from serious health issues.
Oh no, sorry to hear that. :(

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 am

There was talk and plans of a family member? co worker continuing the Modcan brand during Bruce's recovery -it's been many years now- and i don't think there's been any -visible- results of that yet. This is a factor in my suggesting you find a way to keep ownership.

As a thought, I'd put a Mixer and VC comparator module in that empty space. Three jacks across the bottom for in,CV, out of the comparator, with two knobs above for threshold and CV attenuation. Then a mixer-or 2- above that on the panel. Depends how strictly one stays in the Modcan rulez. This would add much to what that set could do.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 am

Phil @ MegaOhm Audio would be able to do what KSS is suggesting. Phil has been doing Modcan A format conversions for ages. Very good quality work, and a great guy. His VCA Rider design could also come into the mix.

KSS has a lot of thought-provoking posts on this forum about utility modules -- would be worth looking those up. :guinness:
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

rikardjh
Common Wiggler

Post by rikardjh » Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 pm

KSS wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 am
There was talk and plans of a family member? co worker continuing the Modcan brand during Bruce's recovery -it's been many years now- and i don't think there's been any -visible- results of that yet. This is a factor in my suggesting you find a way to keep ownership.

As a thought, I'd put a Mixer and VC comparator module in that empty space. Three jacks across the bottom for in,CV, out of the comparator, with two knobs above for threshold and CV attenuation. Then a mixer-or 2- above that on the panel. Depends how strictly one stays in the Modcan rulez. This would add much to what that set could do.
Thanks for the suggestion! This would be a DIY module I assume? Did you see the "Six input mixer" or do you think the system could do with more mixers? Empty slot is for the Panner / VCA that needs repairing, but honestly did pretty well without it. It's a bit weird to have a system without a VCA though..

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 pm

Oh, panner VCA. Somehow I missed that. Yes, dual VCA beats mixer-comparator.
--------
Yes, was thinking DIY or a 3rd party as mentioned.

Doesn't make sense now given the space is not really empty, but to finish the description and answer your question. Yes, I did mean in addition to the single mixer. I'd much prefer that one be a dual 3 input type. Replace input 4's pot with pull switch type and you could do it that way. I'd rather mix 3 things twice than 6 things once.

Then add a couple more mixers with dual inputs, and the comparator.

A comparator lets you do something in relation to the other modules. Having even a pair of 2 input mixers is useful. Which is what I would do if strictly following the 8 unit vertical Modcan rulez. Here it would be important to make them with at least one attenuverting input per pair. Or with the use of a pull pot, add straight inversion to any mixer input.

Leave one to be used for bias-offset.

Bananas are great but they prevent using the jack for this function, which would be easy if switching jacks were available. By feeding DC voltage into one of the mixer input jack normals. With bananas you use a switch. For this format the easiest way to do that is use a pull pot.

The bigger point is that when you look at this system, where and how can you apply offset or bias? Inversion? These are the meat and potatoes of utility.
Having some mixing with these abilities built in helps almost any set of modules be better. And utility comparators are like the vegetables in a synth meal. While you do already have two comparators hiding in the saw animators, everyone knows we need more vegetables!

m = mixers
p = polarity
v = variables

----------------------------
It's still a great little system as is. Someone's going to have great fun using it!
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “5U Format Modules”