I just finished a noise/drone/death industrial album I'm fairly pleased with...

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

I just finished a noise/drone/death industrial album I'm fairly pleased with...

Post by Pyrrhix » Fri May 28, 2021 10:50 pm

... and I wanted to share it with others in the noise forum who might like it.

It's more on the structured and atmospheric side of noise with a seedy set of themes. 8 tracks strung together for seamless playback. Skip around to see if it's your thing.

Influenced by Atrax Morgue, Subliminal (Galakthorrö), and the films of Jörg Buttgereit.

I'm open to feedback as I intend to explore this aesthetic further in future releases. Also happy to discuss gear, techniques, music... cult horror, true crime, etc.

De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: I just finished a noise/drone/death industrial album I'm fairly pleased with...

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 pm

great pyrrix :-)
i like what happens more than half way through rhythmic/pulsing noise with the buried vocals. I could imagine that destroying live lol.
i would have loved to hear some more beat driven stuff littered in there, but i think you've made something pretty cool !

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Re: I just finished a noise/drone/death industrial album I'm fairly pleased with...

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 pm

Absolutely goddamn solid man. I think the spacing and variety are really something different than some of the other noise stuff I zone out to. Haunting at times but not annoyingly resonant or wet haunty if that makes sense. Really digging the filter BD that starts off silent skin. From 14:50 on is just fucking rad as hell as it transitions to the vocal samples. All around really digging the space and mix on all of this.

Interested in the gear used and current true crime interests as well.

P.S. Great name, title, and artwork.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm

agreed with the above - most noise stuff really blows, and is low effort guitar pedal nonsense
the structure is dope :-)

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sat May 29, 2021 8:33 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 pm
great pyrrix :-)
i like what happens more than half way through rhythmic/pulsing noise with the buried vocals. I could imagine that destroying live lol.
i would have loved to hear some more beat driven stuff littered in there, but i think you've made something pretty cool !
Thanks for giving a listen and some feedback. I think you're referring to the track starting at 20:50. I definitely want to do more similar stuff that has that rhythmic forward movement, though I'm trying to avoid overt drum machine patterns for this project. I do agree that more rhythmic elements here and there could help break up the static feeling of the drones and noise sections though.
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 pm
Absolutely goddamn solid man. I think the spacing and variety are really something different than some of the other noise stuff I zone out to. Haunting at times but not annoyingly resonant or wet haunty if that makes sense. Really digging the filter BD that starts off silent skin. From 14:50 on is just fucking rad as hell as it transitions to the vocal samples. All around really digging the space and mix on all of this.

Interested in the gear used and current true crime interests as well.

P.S. Great name, title, and artwork.
Thanks man. I was hoping to make something a bit different, guided by what I wish was more present in many noise releases: structure, variety in the range of tones, and a coherent atmosphere.

The BD sound on "Silent Skin," as well as the higher sounds in that track, were all made with a contact mic on this steel box a friend made for me. Hitting it, scraping it, pitching down and processing on a Digitakt. The most-used gear on the album was an MS-20 mini, a couple JMT synths, a couple Electro Lobotomy synths, Mother 32, Jomox T-Resonator, and various pedal and effect chains. I used feedback loops with effects quite a lot for the noisier sounds as well as higher atmospheric sounds throughout the album. Do you make any music on the dark or noisy side? If so, I'd like to hear some.

As far as true crime, I picked up that interest from shows like Forensic Files and HBO's Autopsy (check this one out if you're not familiar). True crime shows from that period had a great vibe to them. Lately it has been mostly podcasts for true crime. Casefile and Necronomipod are current favorites. A recent standout for me was the Casefile episode on Cindy James. Such a crazy case and well-done episode. I'm also forever fascinated by anomalous freaks like Peter Kürten and Carl Panzram, as well as serial killers like Gary Ridgeway, Dennis Nilsen, and Jeffrey Dahmer. What about you?
Last edited by Pyrrhix on Sun May 30, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Sat May 29, 2021 8:50 pm

I’m a big fan of Atrax Morgue, Imminent, Synapscape... and this has little bits of all three. Very well done, grimy and bleak but in an ordered, well considered way.

pstanig
Common Wiggler

Post by pstanig » Sun May 30, 2021 4:28 am

Pyrrhix wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:50 pm
... and I wanted to share it with others in the noise forum who might like it.

It's more on the structured and atmospheric side of noise with a seedy set of themes. 8 tracks strung together for seamless playback. Skip around to see if it's your thing.

Influenced by Atrax Morgue, Subliminal (Galakthorrö), and the films of Jörg Buttgereit.

I'm open to feedback as I intend to explore this aesthetic further in future releases. Also happy to discuss gear, techniques, music... cult horror, true crime, etc.

This is good stuff... It probably deserves a physical release. Some passages remind me more of 1990s stuff like Megaptera and the undeservedly forgotten Skalpell than Atrax Morgue.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Mon May 31, 2021 3:16 pm

nolongerhuman wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:50 pm
I’m a big fan of Atrax Morgue, Imminent, Synapscape... and this has little bits of all three. Very well done, grimy and bleak but in an ordered, well considered way.
Thanks for giving a listen. I wouldn't have thought to compare with those rhythmic noise artists, but I actually love that sound. I'm forever hoping for another Converter album.
pstanig wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:28 am
This is good stuff... It probably deserves a physical release. Some passages remind me more of 1990s stuff like Megaptera and the undeservedly forgotten Skalpell than Atrax Morgue.
Thanks man. I think I'll try to find a tape label to do a physical release. I hear the comparison to Megaptera, but wasn't familiar with Skalpell. It's good stuff. I'm actually a fan of your Naxal Protocol project. You've put out a lot of good, heavy material over the years.

ŘłB23³
Common Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ » Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Hey theres some interesting stuff there, good job. Some parts reminded me of old raison d' etre, or a bit of brighter death now, atrium carceri, Deutsch Nepal. All my old faves. It's always good to know there are people making tunes like this in the world. If you're into the old cold meat industry stuff, Tesco recently released a collection of Lille Roger albums. There are a few left I believe, better grab a set while you can they'll be gone soon! Cheers!

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:20 pm

This is pretty cool! Love the flailing feedback sounds in the background, spazzing synths, breaking rumbles, atmospheric drones, imminent dread. Very structured too, which make it for a calming listen somehow, great stuff :guinness:

I'm not going to analyze to much here, some production techniques are better to be left to the imagination but what pedals are you using?

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:03 pm

ŘłB23³ wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm
Hey theres some interesting stuff there, good job. Some parts reminded me of old raison d' etre, or a bit of brighter death now, atrium carceri, Deutsch Nepal. All my old faves. It's always good to know there are people making tunes like this in the world. If you're into the old cold meat industry stuff, Tesco recently released a collection of Lille Roger albums. There are a few left I believe, better grab a set while you can they'll be gone soon! Cheers!
Thanks for checking it out. I like a lot of the classic CMI stuff. I still need to dig deeper into that label though. There's a lot I haven't explored. In most genres I enjoy, I prefer the 80s and 90s sounds. Lots of modern noise and industrial is either too trebly or too reverbed-out for my taste. Not hating, just preferences. What kind of stuff do you make? I've seen enough of your posts to know we have some similar tastes.
sparood wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:20 pm
This is pretty cool! Love the flailing feedback sounds in the background, spazzing synths, breaking rumbles, atmospheric drones, imminent dread. Very structured too, which make it for a calming listen somehow, great stuff :guinness:

I'm not going to analyze to much here, some production techniques are better to be left to the imagination but what pedals are you using?
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was intended to have a calming, lulling quality amongst the noise and darkness, so I'm glad that came though.

As far as pedals go, I mostly used the following: Fairfield Circuitry Hors d'Oeuvre, DOD Death Metal, DOD Meatbox reissue, Mantic Hivemind (Buzz Box clone, recommended), Boss PS-3, Boss ODB-3, Boss GE-7, Boss DM-2W, EHX Frequency Analyzer, Digitech Polara (great with feedback as it clips nicely rather than the crackly digital clipping some reverbs produce). Also, Jomox T-Resonator and Analog Heat.

I've stuck to a lot of the widely used noise pedals as it's near impossible to get an idea of how a pedal will work in a noise context based on youtube guitar demos. Do you have any particular favorite pedals for noisier sounds?

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Hah, that's quite the selection! Big love for the T-Resonator from me, the swiss army knife of effect boxes with the hear of Sauron etched into it's soul. Dark, chaotic, unpredictable and when pushed to it's limits the beauty starts, but there is always a change of totally ruining everything by turning the wrong knob. Only made for mad weirdo noise scientists :jedi: .

After going through some pedals I decided I'm not really that much of a pedal man, didn't really try a lot to be honest but after doing some unproductive stuff (tried the ProCo RAT and some MXR ones) I got straight to Eurorack and didn't see the need to keep any. With Eurorack I really really liked the Trogotronic m277, a VCA tube amp good for fucking up everything, and combining it with a snappy envelope on the CV input it got a good oomph to it. Also the SFF Spectral Devastator, it's a filter but actually acts like an aggressive distortion when inputs are unattenuated.

After I got out of Eurorack I sold the m277 but quite regretting that, but there was no point of holding on to it. As a fan of everything with tubes I needed a replacement and got the Metasonix F-1 which is also awesome in all aspects, maybe not quite as versatile as the m277 but man is it good in fucking up everything, if the correct sweet-spot is found.

There are still some pedals I like to try, but we'll see!

Bataserpa
Common Wiggler

Post by Bataserpa » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:46 am

Nice sounds Pyrrhix.

Sparood, how do you like the FSS Spectral Devastator? I got a good offer to buy one used. Do you think it worth to get for use in a harsh noise euro setup? Basically it would process a DPO for more chaotic and distorted sounds (Merzbow Style - a la Tauromachine).

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 pm

It's a beast, very good for harsh noise shrieks and shredding drones, and possibly a whole host of other harsh sounds. If you like I can send some samples over via PM.

Bataserpa
Common Wiggler

Post by Bataserpa » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Great Sparood!

I really appreciate to hear some samples of the FSS Spectral Devastator in a harsh noise context. There is not many videos on youtube. Thanks a lot.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:35 am

sparood wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:47 pm
Hah, that's quite the selection! Big love for the T-Resonator from me, the swiss army knife of effect boxes with the hear of Sauron etched into it's soul. Dark, chaotic, unpredictable and when pushed to it's limits the beauty starts, but there is always a change of totally ruining everything by turning the wrong knob. Only made for mad weirdo noise scientists :jedi: .

After going through some pedals I decided I'm not really that much of a pedal man, didn't really try a lot to be honest but after doing some unproductive stuff (tried the ProCo RAT and some MXR ones) I got straight to Eurorack and didn't see the need to keep any. With Eurorack I really really liked the Trogotronic m277, a VCA tube amp good for fucking up everything, and combining it with a snappy envelope on the CV input it got a good oomph to it. Also the SFF Spectral Devastator, it's a filter but actually acts like an aggressive distortion when inputs are unattenuated.

After I got out of Eurorack I sold the m277 but quite regretting that, but there was no point of holding on to it. As a fan of everything with tubes I needed a replacement and got the Metasonix F-1 which is also awesome in all aspects, maybe not quite as versatile as the m277 but man is it good in fucking up everything, if the correct sweet-spot is found.

There are still some pedals I like to try, but we'll see!
Yeah, I have slowly but surely accumulated quite a few pedals. I have found them to be a quick and dirty route to chunky, satisfying sounds that I struggled to find in my underwhelming eurorack noise attempts.

The T-Resonator is one of my favorite pieces of gear ever. It feels like a complete instrument in many ways. It's so playable and interactive. I wish there were more clever feedback fuckery effects devices on the market.

If you're not using pedals or euro for noise these days, I'm curious, what are you using?

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:59 pm

I agree, within Eurorack it can be hard to dial in extreme dynamics or really push a module 'balls to the wall' like a friend of mine likes to say. But then only a few modules are made to do exactly that, in comparison to pedals made for extremities like metal.

(possibly also has to do with the limits of the format)

Well, the T-Resonator + F-1 is already a killer combo but in addition to that is also like to overload mixer channels of my Yamaha mixer, plug in my walkman in one of it's channels and set it to max to add a little 'body' to the sound (comparable to adding brown or pink noise), record straight to cassette way to hot, clip the input of my reverb box, use a cassette deck as distortion unit (with very good results!) and possibly a few other techniques I'm forgetting now.

But half of the time I don't even know what I am doing, just try things out and see if it works.

sparood
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sparood » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:32 pm

Come to think of it, the mixer also has a few effects options with a nice distortion.

NARC NOISE
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NARC NOISE » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:14 am

SNIP...
""""If you're not using pedals or euro for noise these days, I'm curious, what are you using?"""""

I love using a shitty "briefcase" record player in this way.....I have a small, circular piece of metal with some slots drilled in it, as well as a center hole to put on the record player pole/spindle?? (for lack of a better term) Said circular metal piece has a contact mic taped to it with a long 1/4" cable lead. I mix both the RCA out from the record player, and the output from the contact mic/metal combo together. Tugging on the contact mic cable lead at various tensions and speeds to fuck with the record speed leads to awesome sounds...

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:15 pm

sparood wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:59 pm
Well, the T-Resonator + F-1 is already a killer combo but in addition to that is also like to overload mixer channels of my Yamaha mixer, plug in my walkman in one of it's channels and set it to max to add a little 'body' to the sound (comparable to adding brown or pink noise), record straight to cassette way to hot, clip the input of my reverb box, use a cassette deck as distortion unit (with very good results!) and possibly a few other techniques I'm forgetting now.
NARC NOISE wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:14 am
I love using a shitty "briefcase" record player in this way.....I have a small, circular piece of metal with some slots drilled in it, as well as a center hole to put on the record player pole/spindle?? (for lack of a better term) Said circular metal piece has a contact mic taped to it with a long 1/4" cable lead. I mix both the RCA out from the record player, and the output from the contact mic/metal combo together. Tugging on the contact mic cable lead at various tensions and speeds to fuck with the record speed leads to awesome sounds...
I'm very curious to hear these setups if either of you have recordings you're willing to share. It doesn't have to be anything "finished". I quite enjoy raw noise freakouts.

metamorphmuses
Wiggling with Experience

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Great work Pyrrhix, this is right up my alley. I started following your Bandcamp.

Return to “Synth Noise”