LW Slopes Panel B&W minimal design - some questions...

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

100000bps
Common Wiggler

LW Slopes Panel B&W minimal design - some questions...

Post by 100000bps »

So i kinda finally designed the aesthetic i want my Serge system in... black and white, minimal blah blah.
Its in LW format and consist of:

3x LW DUSG
3x LW DTG
1x LW SSG/Noise

Should go like that :
Black jacks - inputs
White jacks - outputs
Black knobs - offset/gain
White knobs - attenuation/version

Did i made any mistakes in the SSG/Noise i/o?
WDYT about the no-text layout?

As im closing on producing this panel (and few others hehe xD) i'm wondering if anybody would be interested in either just the panel, or the fully built unit. It would be much more cost-effective that way for all interested :). Hit me up if you fancy some of that.

enthusiasmmg.jpg
harpooneer
Common Wiggler

Re: LW Slopes Panel B&W minimal design - some questions...

Post by harpooneer »

100000bps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:15 am WDYT about the no-text layout?
I'm pretty familiar with these three modules, but I would find this hard to use. There are a lot of symbols here that are not terribly obvious to me; if I was in the market for a group-buy panel I think they'd give me pause.

In the specific case of the shape knob, the log and expo shapes above and below the switch are good, but the symbol below the knob looks a lot less like applying the degree of the selected shape, and a lot more like morphing between rounded saw/triangle/ramp.

P.S. not that you asked about module selection, but I'd drop a DTG in favor of a Dual Processor.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

harpooneer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:25 am
100000bps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:15 am WDYT about the no-text layout?
I'm pretty familiar with these three modules, but I would find this hard to use. There are a lot of symbols here that are not terribly obvious to me; if I was in the market for a group-buy panel I think they'd give me pause.

In the specific case of the shape knob, the log and expo shapes above and below the switch are good, but the symbol below the knob looks a lot less like applying the degree of the selected shape, and a lot more like morphing between rounded saw/triangle/ramp.

P.S. not that you asked about module selection, but I'd drop a DTG in favor of a Dual Processor.
Thank you for your input - for the graphic below the shape knob - yeah i was a bit iffy about that. Maybe something simple will do like / | \ with bent angles :)

As for the PCR - i did not include it because of 2nd panel that has just utilities:

This is:
2x Dual PCR
1x First Aid
2x Quad VCA
1x Matrix Mixer

possibility@2x.png
Attachments
possibilitymg.jpg
Last edited by 100000bps on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

I have to agree with @harpooneer.
While I think the design is handsome and sleek, I'm not sure I'd be able to patch effectively having to parse the inputs and outputs of the system.

In particular, I think it's important to use the jacks in a color-coded fashion to remember which use triggers/gates vs continuous signals.
Maybe if I had several years of Serge experience I'd feel more comfortable patching without explicit indicators.

Also, you might consider borrowing some design cues from the 1st gen paperface labels?
harpooneer
Common Wiggler

Post by harpooneer »

That second panel is a nice selection (I think - I'm not sure what the "First Aid" is!)

But - and this is just me being devil's advocate - part of what I like a about Serge is not thinking so rigidly about a module's purpose and category. The DTG is a utility as much as it's anything else - clock, gate delay, etc. A matrix mixer is a control and performance module as much as it's a utility. And I'd not personally enjoy running long-ish cables to and from a dedicated "utility" panel every time I needed an attenuverter or a VCA.

If you look at, for example, some of the Loudest Warning panels on MG, they may have designators like voice, control, or modulation, but they still have a mix of elements. Even within the constraints of your chosen aesthetic, I'm not sure there's much advantage to grouping repeated modules as you've done here?

I think in time you'll be as comfortable with the minimal color/label thing as most of us are with our more traditional designs, but the module arraignment, which you'll be stuck with, is something I'd review.

Any particular reason you're doing these as full panels, not individual modules?
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

harpooneer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:23 pm That second panel is a nice selection (I think - I'm not sure what the "First Aid" is!)

But - and this is just me being devil's advocate - part of what I like a about Serge is not thinking so rigidly about a module's purpose and category. The DTG is a utility as much as it's anything else - clock, gate delay, etc. A matrix mixer is a control and performance module as much as it's a utility. And I'd not personally enjoy running long-ish cables to and from a dedicated "utility" panel every time I needed an attenuverter or a VCA.

If you look at, for example, some of the Loudest Warning panels on MG, they may have designators like voice, control, or modulation, but they still have a mix of elements. Even within the constraints of your chosen aesthetic, I'm not sure there's much advantage to grouping repeated modules as you've done here?

I think in time you'll be as comfortable with the minimal color/label thing as most of us are with our more traditional designs, but the module arraignment, which you'll be stuck with, is something I'd review.

Any particular reason you're doing these as full panels, not individual modules?

First Aid is R*S module: https://www.modulargrid.net/s/random-source-first-aid

I'm coming from a long exposure to euro-rack & ciat-lombarde :P just turning to the serge stuff now (leaving Euro, keeping just 3 crucial for my sound modules). What i like about Ciat is the Hot outs and Cold Ins - marking just i/o without even a hint of what it does made me explore more and have more fun/happy accidents. What i take from euro experience is how i grouped modules - by functions. Dunno, my brain just works that way, i don't mind the cables in euro at least. This saves me from patching in same way (i had previously set ups like VCO > Filter > VCA > FX and they led me to auto patching in similar ways). So the UX/placement decision i've made with both of that factors in mind. As for the Whole Panels - euro gave me the swap-a-roo sickness that i want to get rid myself off :P so many options to re-arranging, swapping modules and generally fiddle with hardware more than making sounds so Whole Panels is the attempt for me to heal and stay with "The Instrument".

I've also always looked at R*S, LW and STS panels as designed to be standalone in small packages - the intent was probably for each panel to be able to function regardless of the rest of the system. What i'm trying to do is create a holistic system/instrument from the get-go and create function-specific panels... but maybe this approach is "wrong" in serge land :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I love the sound of the DUSG as OSC and Res EQ (cant wait for the VC res eq from R*S :D) - think my voice panel would also be unusual - im not really in love with NTO/Precission osc, just gimme these juicy slopes, Res EQs and filters :P. Whole Serge system for me will be 6 panels total...

I really like how the Serge mixer sounds, but dunno if its not better to mix outside of the Serge for final audio. Saves precious HP, but that decision has not been yet made. Have motu 828x and like to mix in a box~~~ but maybe some outboard hardware mixer is in line?

But of course if people would like the panels separately its a non-issue to make a batch :)
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK »

I think these look VERY nice!!

I agree with some of the above, but not to a huge degree. I think you might be able to tweak a few of the symbols to make them a bit more universally recognizable, but I also like this graphical take on what is classically text labels.

I actually used to get a lot of feedback and criticism for my overly abbreviated functions on my older panels, so I've increased the detail, lessened the abbreviation, etc.

There are a few symbols on there that I didn't immediately get, but then again, I don't have better ideas either. :hihi:

There are cases where maybe you don't need a graphic at all though.

Say the shape switches for lin/log/exp toward the left. Keep them on the switch, maybe ditch the confusing one at the knob completely. It's apparent that the switch and knob are related, so you don't need to label the knob. However, maybe add a linear graphic on the left or right side of the switch, to indicate that the middle position (if this IS the functionality) is linear.

Anyway, just wanted to say I like the idea. Maybe a few things could use some refinement, but it's nice to see something different.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

J3RK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 pm I think these look VERY nice!!

I agree with some of the above, but not to a huge degree. I think you might be able to tweak a few of the symbols to make them a bit more universally recognizable, but I also like this graphical take on what is classically text labels.

I actually used to get a lot of feedback and criticism for my overly abbreviated functions on my older panels, so I've increased the detail, lessened the abbreviation, etc.

There are a few symbols on there that I didn't immediately get, but then again, I don't have better ideas either. :hihi:

There are cases where maybe you don't need a graphic at all though.

Say the shape switches for lin/log/exp toward the left. Keep them on the switch, maybe ditch the confusing one at the knob completely. It's apparent that the switch and knob are related, so you don't need to label the knob. However, maybe add a linear graphic on the left or right side of the switch, to indicate that the middle position (if this IS the functionality) is linear.

Anyway, just wanted to say I like the idea. Maybe a few things could use some refinement, but it's nice to see something different.
Hey man, thank you for input; you are right! getting rid of the confusing symbol makes it a lot cleaner instantly :)) thanks! You've said that a few things could use some refinement - could you please be more specific?
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK »

In the upper right (right module, central jack) I'm not quite sure what the graphic is representing. It may be more apparent to people familiar with the module.

I also immediately understood (what I assume are frequency controls) at the bottom of the same module, but I'm wondering if there is a somewhat cleaner way to represent that. Maybe something like a single cycle on one side of the knob, and a double cycle on the other side? I'm not sure if that would convey it exactly the same way though.

The "sideways T" is that a trigger pulse? Just curious, as that's what came to my mind looking at it, but wasn't 100% sure. The only other way I can think of to represent that would be a line (representing DC0V) with a single trigger/spike rising up from the middle. (so similar (assuming it's a trigger) but might be a bit more clear that it is) I could be wrong about this though.

IMO, while I can see the others' thoughts on how it might initially intimidate someone looking at it for the first time, I also think that once you use it for a short amount of time, it would start to make sense quite quickly. There would be the initial switch in mind-set of course, but provided the person actually gave it a try, I don't think it would be a barrier to using it.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

The rightmost module is SSG/Noise. Central jacks are White Noise, Pink Noise and Saw, the top ones with o and • are couplers, there is cycle, Hold and Sample, and Rate.

the sideways T is end of cycle trig out from Slopes.

The rate is busy, maybe less density would help, will experiment :)

Thank you very much! <3
Pagoda-100
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pagoda-100 »

I'd have to agree with @J3RK. I think you will get comfortable real quick. I also think it's a good looking set of designs and looks like it would be a fun setup. If you dig it then I say lit er rip!
FWIW, I decided to go for a black on all black jacked 2 panel Prism setup as my first step into the paperface era... Prolly not the easiest entry to the swimming pool but after a few days It's all good.
harpooneer
Common Wiggler

Post by harpooneer »

100000bps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:04 pm ... but maybe this approach is "wrong" in serge land
Nah - Serge-land isn't very proscriptive! It sounds like you've thought about all this and it works for how you work and that's all I wanted to check.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

harpooneer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm
100000bps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:04 pm ... but maybe this approach is "wrong" in serge land
Nah - Serge-land isn't very proscriptive! It sounds like you've thought about all this and it works for how you work and that's all I wanted to check.
Thank you for input :) i appreciate the thoughts!
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

Pagoda-100 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 pm I'd have to agree with @J3RK. I think you will get comfortable real quick. I also think it's a good looking set of designs and looks like it would be a fun setup. If you dig it then I say lit er rip!
FWIW, I decided to go for a black on all black jacked 2 panel Prism setup as my first step into the paperface era... Prolly not the easiest entry to the swimming pool but after a few days It's all good.
Thank you for compliments :) :sb: The black on black must look so sleek :D send them photos man :D
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK »

Ah! End Triggers. That makes sense, and in that case, I wouldn't do what I said above. ;)

I think the one that I wasn't sure of in the SSG, was the noise. Which makes sense now. (I did read the module list, but it was earlier, and forgot that it was the SSG. I am actually quite familiar with it :D )

Anyway, these definitely make sense then.

This also demonstrates that it doesn't take much to understand this, either with a little effort, or a question or two. If you had a little key that came with the panel, or posted on a site, there would be no ambiguity in the first place. (just for cases where the image didn't click in a particular person's mind)
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

J3RK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:51 pm Ah! End Triggers. That makes sense, and in that case, I wouldn't do what I said above. ;)

I think the one that I wasn't sure of in the SSG, was the noise. Which makes sense now. (I did read the module list, but it was earlier, and forgot that it was the SSG. I am actually quite familiar with it :D )

This also demonstrates that it doesn't take much to understand this, either with a little effort, or a question or two. If you had a little key that came with the panel, or posted on a site, there would be no ambiguity in the first place. (just for cases where the image didn't click in a particular person's mind)
Thanks man :D i'll allow myself to tag you with the update / rest of the panels ~ when theyre ready :D
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

I'd miss a color for trig-gate function. Two colors of jacks is one short for me.

I did a Rd-Wh-Bl banana set long ago. Read about the whiteout that blew in?

Still love the Bk-Wh-Gy jacks on that old DIY modular with the Victorian looking cursive graphics.

Harponeer's first comment hit truth with me. Trade a DUSG for a dual proc on that first panel. For sure. AKA swap the DUSG and Dual Proc between the 1st and 'utility' panels.

While one might say that it doesn't matter since patchcords can go anywhere to anywhere.. It's also true that it's easy to be overly rigorous in setting up arbitrary sections. I wouldn't want a utilities section only panel. Much rather have those scattered within each panel.
Which probably goes back to my first synths in the 60s and 70s. Moog modular had the mixers near the VCOs and ARP 2500 had them built in to both the modules and the patching. <--2500 patches a *lot* like a serge.

You gotta do you of course. But I'd rather have a random shuffle to select serge module placement than over-thinking it. Unless all the utilities ended up on one panel ;) That'd require a re-shuffle.

One more point. It doesn't stop being an 'instrument' if it has modules instead of panels. Like LW format. As evidenced by both STS and R*S having less than full panel options now. It could be said -and strongly supported and defended- that having an ability to change things around *aids* rather than impairs creating a personal instrument. Just because there are new 'cards' available does *not* mean you have to play modular Pokemon. And being disciplined about adding modules need not require a panel=instrument mindset.

2 jack colors is one too few.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

KSS wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:18 am I'd miss a color for trig-gate function. Two colors of jacks is one short for me.

I did a Rd-Wh-Bl banana set long ago. Read about the whiteout that blew in?

Still love the Bk-Wh-Gy jacks on that old DIY modular with the Victorian looking cursive graphics.

Harponeer's first comment hit truth with me. Trade a DUSG for a dual proc on that first panel. For sure. AKA swap the DUSG and Dual Proc between the 1st and 'utility' panels.

While one might say that it doesn't matter since patchcords can go anywhere to anywhere.. It's also true that it's easy to be overly rigorous in setting up arbitrary sections. I wouldn't want a utilities section only panel. Much rather have those scattered within each panel.
Which probably goes back to my first synths in the 60s and 70s. Moog modular had the mixers near the VCOs and ARP 2500 had them built in to both the modules and the patching. <--2500 patches a *lot* like a serge.

You gotta do you of course. But I'd rather have a random shuffle to select serge module placement than over-thinking it. Unless all the utilities ended up on one panel ;) That'd require a re-shuffle.

One more point. It doesn't stop being an 'instrument' if it has modules instead of panels. Like LW format. As evidenced by both STS and R*S having less than full panel options now. It could be said -and strongly supported and defended- that having an ability to change things around *aids* rather than impairs creating a personal instrument. Just because there are new 'cards' available does *not* mean you have to play modular Pokemon. And being disciplined about adding modules need not require a panel=instrument mindset.

2 jack colors is one too few.
Thank you for pointers; considering the colours i for sure want to have separate in/out situation so id need to have two more colours for trig gates (red for trig out, and some other colour for trig in). Im kind of surprised by comments about marking triggers - i mean if you use an LFO / Slope into trigger input it will still work, right? Everything is voltage at the end.

Im curious why it makes such a difference to mark the trig/gate i/o for you and other guys - does it help you patch in faster the functions you want? At the same time, doesn't it make you patch similar ways for the most of time? To me personally from the UX perspective is a mind-flag "oh i should put a trigger here" which for sure has an impact on how one patches things. Between Ciat-Lonbarde full obscurity, and Serge full clarity i've gone for something that felt in-between for me. So im still iffy on adding additional color. I could maybe use greys just for trigger outs ~ ? WDYT

To the point of swapping modules around; i've slept on it and yeah, maybe dispersing things around might be better overall.

Maybe something like this?
Screenshot 2022-06-18 at 10.43.35.png
WDYT?
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

I don't worry about color marking Gate-Trig outs. Or between G and T -for 4U.

Too many different and multi-purpose things can give me a gate or trig output to worry about defining those. VCO rectangle WF, EG, Slope, Logic, CMP, the list goes on and on.

What makes a G-T *in* worth assigning a color to is that this is usually part of an overall timing 'scheme' and it's helpful to know the entry points for that. It's also true that some G-Trig inputs are sensitive to rise time -or level- and the color can help there too. Marking the G-T inputs makes it easier to follow a dense jungle patch and easier to see the timing flow in less dense patches too. There's no need to mark both ends of the cord, since it's by default leading to its other end! <--AKA can look at a red jack and work backwards to see what's driving it.

I don't find it difficult at all to intentionally 'mis-apply' a patch cord. So no real worry about red 'Timing' jacks 'forcing' a patch mindset. Happy accidents are just as likely with a fully labeled synth as a poorly labeled one in my experience. I've found it's more likely to get useful results quicker when more information is available than less. This is not so much due to the 'front end' of trying things out haphazardly, as that's simply a choice to do that. But once patched, knowing what has been patched to what can make the 'back end' optimization of what's been done easier. Or it can lead to better learning for the next try-it-and-see move.
But I want to add a fine point here. I don't like having a scope too handy when patching. I've got them but they're not something I want to see or use while patching. To me they short-circuit what the ears hear. Things that look the same on a scope sound different and vice versa! Our current visual-screen happy world is missing a great deal by tieing their eyes to everything. VCOs are accurate audible voltmeters.

I tend not to use patchcord color by length or color by function and very much prefer single color -black- for those. I do have some diode cords with one red end and VtoS-trig patchcords with a grey or silver end.

I've also never found it terribly useful to mark jacks as AC-DC or uni-bipolar. Ears tell me that answer -if it matters- fairly quickly.
Likewise I don't worry about patching outputs to each other but still find value in having a different color for outputs. But it's to help see the program-patch flow, *not* to prevent out-out patching.

For non 4U I tend to use Green for gate and Red for trigger. Because a gate is usually level sensitive and a trigger is usually time sensitive.

As for module selection in panel-size bites, I'd always try to make a panel useful on its own. That doesn't mean all panels need to have 'voice' capability -though that's pretty easy given serge PP reality. But it does mean putting things together which can -and often are expected to - be used together.

Edit: To my earlier point, if you're still learning Serge -and your goal is an instrument- then you're not really in the best position to create one using panel-size choices. I'd suggest LW style 4U in that case. It's going to be easier to re-panel a bunch of modules into a panel than to break a panel into modules. <--But one of the best things Serge T ever did was the paperface. Because then you *can* easily and quickly re-arrange modules on a panel.
It's too bad the fantastic utility of this approach has been lost. Then again when serge format is no longer respecting 1" columns, and verticals may have 6, 7 or 8 locations, then it did become a little silly with the 'extra' and overlapping holes to accomodate all possibilities. Paper overlays still make a lot of sense though.
There's good reason STS released the M series and R*S have their quads. But LW beats all these I think.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

100000bps wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:45 am Maybe something like this?
WDYT?
Too many colors now. You've lost the vibe and focus of your original goal. At this point you'd be better off just using standard serge jack colors. <--I'm *not* saying you should do that. I am saying you can do well with only 3-4 colors.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

KSS wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:08 am
100000bps wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:45 am Maybe something like this?
WDYT?
Too many colors now. You've lost the vibe and focus of your original goal. At this point you'd be better off just using standard serge jack colors. <--I'm *not* saying you should do that. I am saying you can do well with only 3-4 colors.
Thats not the design, thats standard LW panels - i was asking here about the mix of modules per panel :) swapped DTG with DUAL PCR and such, maybe i phrased it wrong :)
Pagoda-100
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pagoda-100 »

@KSS makes some good points.
Based on my feelings using Serge stuff:
-Full panels are cool and sometimes a fantastic start for someone not fully understanding the system. Fast forward to "today me" and I want to convert my panels to modular versions. Not to do the endless swap but rather small changes as my patching changes. Also nice for service. If something gives up the smoke it sure will be nice to just pull a module. Also much more simple to commision a build / source bits.

-Scattered utilities. At first I wanted everything grouped together. Now not so much. Having key bits all over makes way more sense to me now. I do like things together that make sense but it stinks to do long strange runs to grab a slope ect.... I do like a "sequencer" panel with all the bits to make it run. Sometimes I'll run without and sometimes I'll put it in play.

Back to your color and design, MY OPINION: make it funky cool or make it one of the standards. My LW system colors makes as much sense to me as my RS stuff does but it took a bit to fall into that understanding. Also my all black jacked system makes sense (so long as I'm sober) this one took a bit more to grasp but I planed all along that it would be an "art piece" as well as an instrument. I like your first concept alot. "fun" panel designs are just that. Fun! I like seeing some of Charlie's more creative panels pop up from time to time. It's sort of cool to recognise something like that as a unique item vs. "oh look it's a Animoo" Reminds me of what hot rodders and drag racers did when they named cars.
100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps »

J3RK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:51 pm Ah! End Triggers. That makes sense, and in that case, I wouldn't do what I said above. ;)

Tagging for update :) - changes the panels to have a mix of functionalities.

Enthusiasm: DUSG / Dual PCR / DUSG / Dual PCR / DUSG / Quad VCA / SSG + Noise
Possibility: DTG / DTG / DTG / First Aid (R*S) / Quad VCA / Matrix Mixer

Changes - cleaned some graphics, introduced 3rd jack color for Trig/Gate input - Grey. Tried with Red, but was too intrusive for me. This is visible but does not draw attention too much. EDIT - just noticed the SSG should have one more Grey for HOLD...
Enthusiasm v2@2x.png
possibility@2x.png
Making full panels i could prolly add some utilities like Logic and Peak/Through on the modules section :hmm: the panels would become denser still but have more functions. Maybe every 2nd row in places where it is not close to knobs - like in the middle of DUSG & DuPCR ? WDYT?
ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym »

Very interesting plans. I will dig through this is more detail later. My usual advice is to get a design style guide and stick to it. Some controls in the graphics above have "rotation lines" round them and others dont. The mod matrix has controls with no indication of how they work, are they 0-10, 5-0-5, +/-? The ac/dc switches are labelled 4 times when they are all in a row. They have lots of lines linking them where the Quad VCA has none. The guide would tell you if you have lines between the sockets and attenuators. DO the DTG loop switches mean one is down for loop and the other up for loop? Some of the graphics appear to be different sizes, the + & - are tiny but the slope shapes are larger.

Again, this is only meant to be constructive and it is your choice to strip everything back and await happy accidents. My concern it unless you are familiar with the modules you wouldn't know what they are. I am not unfamiliar but I had to think what was what. I wouldn't like to do that on stage. IS the Quad VCA a VCA or something else?

I will read more closely and see if there is anything else that i can (positively!) add.
sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent »

These look awesome (but I started a modular brand called Grayscale so I'm partial to the monochromatic color scheme).

I agree with the feedback above about using gray for logic/pulses. I thought the same after seeing these mockups on ModularGrid earlier. So these updated mockups above (which are an iteration beyond what's on ModularGrid) seem better. You do have that extra color to add while keeping things monochromatic so you may as well use it. I would be using this same color schema for jacks if I was building Serge-format stuff. Dark makes sense for inputs, light for outputs.

Totally subjective but I'd stick with one line weight for the icons versus making the slope icons on the DTG for example have a thicker and thinner line weight within the same icon.

Also on the DTG layout if you have flexibility with LED placement you could put the LEDs above and below the switches to avoid the long lines and make things a little more minimal. I feel similar about the lines on the Matrix Mixer connecting the switches with the rows. Those lines might not even be necessary. Just some subjective feedback. Comments from @ashleym regarding consistent labeling scheme make sense too.
Last edited by sempervirent on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”