Photo of component side any BUSA 200e w/pots?

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Photo of component side any BUSA 200e w/pots?

Post by KSS »

Wondering if anyone has or can point me to a photo of any recent -BUSA era- 200e module with its panel removed?
I'm looking to see the pots used and general build look and feel. As long as it's recent 200e and there's a pot or two it doesn't matter which module.
Thank you.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
ArguZ
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Photo of component side any BUSA 200e w/pots?

Post by ArguZ »

Wobblepot removal
76179952_698229353919413_4767892772097097728_n.jpg
Out with the old, in with the new
77043491_861998907553179_2323446040050532352_n.jpg
momo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by momo »

The TH parts and of course the wobbly pots you mention make that an early 266e. I was going to reply to this thread last night with this thread that also features some early era 200e module PCB pics, but they also don't meet what the OP is asking for. For whatever it is worth, Chris Muir's P/R 077 blog features some great documentation (pics) that show the build style synonymous with Buchla (as much as the folding book and zip ties method is to Serge), such as heat shrink as strain relief on banana sockets.

And, as far as I know, and I'm definitely no authority, B&A quality control was I think generally very good. Any problems were inherent to the hand made buotique nature of things (as opposed to systemic) and quickly rectified, or if slow, with every intention to rectify matters. Things I think went a bit to pot with QC in the BEMI era, and due to that, I think that was BUSA's priority on taking over and from what I can tell they are doing a fine job with QC and the evolution of board revisions. Joel Davel is I believe central to that, and an asset to BUSA and us alike. For IP reasons, he and BUSA at large might not want shots of their boards floating around on forums, though.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

Thank you both.

Yes, I am looking for any pic of a Fox-era BUSA Module with pots. Not interested in any IP so can be partial view. May not even need panel removed if the pot is near the edge and visible.

Also not interested -at all- in bashing or even commenting on whether the BUSA module is better or worse than some other version of Buchla module.

Just want to see -even partially- what they're sending out now.
momo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by momo »

Some of the module images here shoud satisfy your requirements https://schneidersladen.de/en/buchla-modular-4u/?p=2
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

momo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:02 pm Some of the module images here shoud satisfy your requirements https://schneidersladen.de/en/buchla-modular-4u/?p=2
Perfect! Thank you, momo!

For any wondering why I didn't just do a search, my net access and bandwidth is severely limited.
ArguZ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ArguZ »

Here are a few from a 223e
DSC04614.JPG
DSC04615.JPG
DSC04616.JPG
DSC04617.JPG
DSC04618.JPG
I have to say i totally dig the construction of the e-modules.
They are super easy to service and a joy to disassemble and put back together.
The way the jacks and bananas are connected is pure genius and way better than cabling the connectors directly to the PCB.
Every group of banana has they own little daughter PCB and a header that connects the I/O board to the MCU board.
The MCU portion is protected by low value resistors that blow when someone flips the power connector.
Normally that is the only part that gets damaged and those 1206 SMD parts are super easy to replace even with just an iron.
Through the two decades those PCBs are around, the programming port has changed from 10 pole Eurorack to flatbed and one needs to have adapters to flash the MCUs, but that is no problem either.
There are no critical parts in them, everything is off the shelf and readily available at Mouser or Digikey, so if something fails it is always possible to get it fixed.
Only the MCUs are very hard to get, let's hope SiLabs will start production once all the Apple and Tesla MCUs have been produced.
The PCBs are old, even on modules purchased within the last years the PCBs are from the early 200x in most cases.
They are made with high temperature machine soldering which makes replacing MCUs a job for hot air and flux.
Afterward the sockets needs to be cleaned and fresh solder paste is needed for the replacement.
I did not come across any bad quality and i think i had like 50 of them on the bench by now.
The only thing is the choice of pots and encoders but that is a two sided sword , i know.
Technically the plastic shaft ones are longer lasting and more reliable than the metal ones.
The fat in the metal shaft ones , the reason they fell creamy, will dry out at some point and they might get stuck or get dusty and erratic.
But as e modules are purely digital recorders, i prefer something to feel nice for the time i am using it.
So the next 10 year it will feel like Audio and not like Chrysler :)
Last edited by ArguZ on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LVU
Common Wiggler

Post by LVU »

ArguZ wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:01 pm Wobblepot removal
Out with the old, in with the new
Mhm, i wish I had proper soldering skills. :love:
Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake »

ArguZ wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:06 am Here are a few from a 223e
Beautiful
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.
REcDeso12oi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by REcDeso12oi »

B3D7377E-5A01-4805-9691-59C144D7A4C2.jpeg
Just for fun, here’s a BUSA 261e

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”