Samodular Buchla kits

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Cecilisntmyname
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Samodular Buchla kits

Post by Cecilisntmyname »

*Google's rheostat* thanks pal, super helpful.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

Question about 258 build - the BOM says 10K-100K lin and log for the 16mm pots and the pots that are in my kit say A50K and B50K. What does the ‘50K’ on the pot signify?
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Akira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:29 pm Question about 258 build - the BOM says 10K-100K lin and log for the 16mm pots and the pots that are in my kit say A50K and B50K. What does the ‘50K’ on the pot signify?
The 10K-100K value listed in the BOM means that you can use any value pot between 10K ohm and 100K ohm. 50K means 50K ohm. A50K are audio taper (log) used for the FM input. B50K are linear taper (lin) used for the rest.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

mritenburg wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:32 pm
Akira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:29 pm Question about 258 build - the BOM says 10K-100K lin and log for the 16mm pots and the pots that are in my kit say A50K and B50K. What does the ‘50K’ on the pot signify?
The 10K-100K value listed in the BOM means that you can use any value pot between 10K ohm and 100K ohm. 50K means 50K ohm. A50K are audio taper (log) used for the FM input. B50K are linear taper (lin) used for the rest.
Oh! That’s really interesting thank you. I don’t know much about electronics (as you can probably tell) so hadn’t considered that pots of different values could be used - I suppose they also interact with the trimmers to get the proper scaling.
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Akira wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:01 pm
mritenburg wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:32 pm
Oh! That’s really interesting thank you. I don’t know much about electronics (as you can probably tell) so hadn’t considered that pots of different values could be used - I suppose they also interact with the trimmers to get the proper scaling.
It's actually because of how voltage dividers work. If you are starting to learn electronics, this is a super important topic. I highly recommend you spend some cycles reading up on Ohm's law and voltage dividers.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

So I completed the 266 and 292, and to my surprise, they light up and make sound! Was absolutely not expecting that given my DIY skills. The individually labelled bags on components packed in order of the BOM were a lifesaver so thanks SAModular!

Apart from the LED of the top FRV not working (not sure what I did there, maybe installed it the wrong way around), the S&H doesn’t seem quite right and I’d really appreciate any guidance :)

With a gate into pulse in and nothing in c.v. in I get the same high/low gate coming out of c.v. out. Putting anything in c.v. in has no effect. The left alt out stays high and the right alt out stays low.

I’ll attach a photo of the back of PCB 1 in case anyone can see some glaring error I’ve made!

(UPDATE)

Spotted it. LF398 installed the wrong way around! All working except for the left alt out, so may have damaged it a little :(

(UPDATE 2)

Turns out the S&H didn’t like the ‘gates’ that I was generating from fast FRV, so after converting it to something with a sharper edge via the QRVs I’m getting alternation.

I ran out of money so can’t afford banana cables at the moment, but am making do with solid core wire and heat shrink to keep it in place!
55051129-62E6-4E69-93A1-0D0E36A5B3E9.jpeg
Attachments
2109EEDA-AEE5-4768-B19C-B1935C4CCDA8.jpeg
antiformant
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antiformant »

I recently received an order from Steffan and am very happy with how it all went.
Would definitely recommend for anyone looking into Buchla DIY
joshjoshjosh
Common Wiggler

Post by joshjoshjosh »

Finishing up my 281 build. Maybe I’m missing something obvious but was hoping someone could chime in with the correct orientation of the flat ribbon cables? Had a bit of a time getting the panel on and would rather not take it back off to check for continuity. Attached some pics of all angles for clarity. Anyone know offhand if this is correct?
Attachments
845CDB35-184D-4C6C-88D4-F20F01FD3055.jpeg
D7AAE3AA-B000-45BD-9D3D-F57574A4D908.jpeg
0D25367C-0158-4FC0-B248-5AA297CF1806.jpeg
71EE63FA-6BE3-4E2A-90A5-1B4159AFFC93.jpeg
BC9119E6-59E6-4326-88B3-2210A2861428.jpeg
jimfowler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jimfowler »

joshjoshjosh
Common Wiggler

Post by joshjoshjosh »

I meant specifically how the ribbon cables should be plugged into their corresponding connectors. Doesn’t seem like dave addresses that there. Ie: which side of each board the white stripe indicator on the cable should be on. Like I said, maybe I’m missing something obvious, but it’s eluding me.
rklem
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rklem »

The picture in the middle on Steffen's 281 page shows the ribbon cables, but it's pretty dark. Here's a photo of my build. As far as I remember your connections look right, but please cross check looking at it from the side. I hope that helps.
Attachments
281.jpeg
tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tarandfeathers »

joshjoshjosh wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:12 am I meant specifically how the ribbon cables should be plugged into their corresponding connectors. Doesn’t seem like dave addresses that there. Ie: which side of each board the white stripe indicator on the cable should be on. Like I said, maybe I’m missing something obvious, but it’s eluding me.
As long as the boards are the right way round, it doesn't matter which way up you put the cables - since they get reversed at both ends you'll still end up with pin 1 going to pin 1.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available
GitHub Repo - Open source Buchla format projects
joshjoshjosh
Common Wiggler

Post by joshjoshjosh »

Thanks so much guys! This is very helpful!
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

mritenburg wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:44 pm Those values look generally appropriate and are close to what I see on mine, though, I would expect all of the +14V values to be identical because that is what is coming directly off your +15V rail. Might think about your ribbon cables and pin headers. If you sliced your ribbon cable to fit around the standoffs, is it possible any of the copper is exposed? Also, is the solder work around the pin headers clean and connected? Are there any intermittent pins that need to be reflowed? Did you use water soluble flux solder? Did you clean all of the residue? Water soluble flux can conduct.

The next thing to think about are the Q1A/Q1B and Q4A/Q4B pairs. These are supposed to be matched PNP pairs. Did you source your own parts, or did you build the full kit? Either way, cut tape 2N3906's are recommended so that they are roughly matched.

Another thing to check are the cathode sides of D2 and D5. What do you see there?
Hey wondered if you might be able to help me with my 281 :)

Everything seems to be working except one channel is slower than the rest. I've measured the voltage at the trimpots and I can see just under 15v going to all of them and a little over 10v on the pins when they're attentuated. Here's the frequencies for the channels all set with pots fully anti-clockwise and measuring the extreme ranges of the trimmers:

Top function = 31-115Hz
Upper mid function = 163-373Hz
Lower mid function = 163-399Hz
Bottom function = 163-390Hz

I've tried swapping the PCBs around and the issue moves with the PCBs. The module was a SA kit and the 2N3906s came of the same cut tape.

I can't make out where diodes D2 and D5 are on the board, but apart from that I've gone through and check that all resistors match on each board, that the diodes are correctly oriented, and all the solder joins look fine. Also the split in the ribbon cable for the standoffs has no copper exposed.
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Akira wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:03 pm I can't make out where diodes D2 and D5 are on the board, but apart from that I've gone through and check that all resistors match on each board, that the diodes are correctly oriented, and all the solder joins look fine. Also the split in the ribbon cable for the standoffs has no copper exposed.
While you are verifying components, might as well check your trimmers. Make sure they all have a “203” marking to indicate that they are 20K trimmers.
dgrainger
Common Wiggler

Post by dgrainger »

Did Samodular get hit with a cease & desist regarding the buchla trademark?
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

dgrainger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:56 pm Did Samodular get hit with a cease & desist regarding the buchla trademark?
Sounds like something happened... haven't checked the website in a couple weeks but I think other than some naming stuff I'm not sure that much has changed. For now. Ha, most people here probably know my opinion on BUSA. So I'll leave it at that. Haha.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

Sinamsis wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:35 pm
dgrainger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:56 pm Did Samodular get hit with a cease & desist regarding the buchla trademark?
Sounds like something happened... haven't checked the website in a couple weeks but I think other than some naming stuff I'm not sure that much has changed. For now. Ha, most people here probably know my opinion on BUSA. So I'll leave it at that. Haha.
Cannot comment on this yet.
I advice anyone in this thread to remove the brand name though. I also advice the thread starter to rename the topic to something like "samodular B-Word kits". Using the brand name may lead to the assumption that those kits are "legit" Buchla (TM) module kits. They are clearly not and we all know of course.
Thank you, you guys & girls (yes girls here as well :)) are awesome :hug:
B-WORD cases & parts - 200s series clone PCBs, panels & full kits - www.samodular.com
Burnin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Burnin »

Should have started calling it 200/200e format or something else after the whole Don vs BEMI thing and Don passed, plus the format has evolved past just being "Buchla©"(TM) modules.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

Burnin wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:06 am Should have started calling it 200/200e format or something else after the whole Don vs BEMI thing and Don passed, plus the format has evolved past just being "Buchla©"(TM) modules. Accept the fact, that Buchla (TM) wants to shut down any DIY builds.
Don has passed - RIP. He had no problem with DIY builds.
According to some "subjects" you are not even allowed to use model numbers like 207, 208, 258 etc. And yeah - "format" - it is a no go for Buchla (TM). They don't accept the wording "Buchla-format".
Of course the Buchla-format stands for:
1. Power supply consists of +-15V, +12V, +5V, I2C-clock und I2C-data for the internal communication protocol.
2. Measurement of modules: 4U (4 Units)
3. Hole placements to mount modules.
4. Power supply - 10-pin Edgecard Connectors - Buchla specific.
5. Tinijax Connectors for audio signals instead of regular 3.5mm or 6.3mm connectors.
6. Positive CV instead of +- voltages to control modules.

I mean - Buchla (TM) started selling "re-issues". So of course they start hunting down on the DIY community.
Whoever is interested in the legal documents, send a PM.

Actually providing DIY kits to the community turned to something like a witch hunt unfortunately.
Last edited by weedywhizz on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-WORD cases & parts - 200s series clone PCBs, panels & full kits - www.samodular.com
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

One thing that I am 1000% certain of is that model numbers (like 268e, 257e, 297, etc.) can not be protected in any way and this is one of the reasons that they are used. They are easy to use without legal counsel and no legal challenges.

Trust me on this model number thing. I've been doing product management, in the audio industry, for 30 years.

Something like "Buchla Music Easel" and perhaps (although slightly more shaky) "Music Easel" can be protected. Model numbers? No way.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

More like "shit and destroy". Eric is doing a fine job of wrecking any remaining decades of existing goodwill towards the current incarnation of the brand.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

Kent wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 pm One thing that I am 1000% certain of is that model numbers (like 268e, 257e, 297, etc.) can not be protected in any way and this is one of the reasons that they are used. They are easy to use without legal counsel and no legal challenges.

Trust me on this model number thing. I've been doing product management, in the audio industry, for 30 years.

Something like "Buchla Music Easel" and perhaps (although slightly more shaky) "Music Easel" can be protected. Model numbers? No way.
Kent, I have tons of respect for you and much appreciate your response ! :tu: You probably have more infos than anyone else on this matter.
Last edited by weedywhizz on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs »

Kent wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 pm Something like "Buchla Music Easel" and perhaps (although slightly more shaky) "Music Easel" can be protected. Model numbers? No way.
I have to wonder if this was more of "Let's have the lawyers write scary letters and that will get everyone to stop". I.e. Weedywhiz isn't located in the US, so if Buchla were to attempt some sort of trademark dilution, etc lawsuit, it probably would be fairly expensive and time consuming on their part. Plus I highly doubt that weedywhiz is buying a Bugatti from his shop proceeds.

Note- I'm not trying to indicate here that weedywhiz is doing anything here to purposely thwart "the other big B"- just was a handy example.
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie
@neutronstar604
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

djs wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:35 pm
Kent wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 pm Something like "Buchla Music Easel" and perhaps (although slightly more shaky) "Music Easel" can be protected. Model numbers? No way.
I have to wonder if this was more of "Let's have the lawyers write scary letters and that will get everyone to stop". I.e. Weedywhiz isn't located in the US, so if Buchla were to attempt some sort of trademark dilution, etc lawsuit, it probably would be fairly expensive and time consuming on their part. Plus I highly doubt that weedywhiz is buying a Bugatti from his shop proceeds.

Note- I'm not trying to indicate here that weedywhiz is doing anything here to purposely thwart "the other big B"- just was a handy example.
No Bugatti unfortunately.
My goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for 2xx series modules including cases and whatever it needs to get your system running.
There's not much to gain. I'm not selling toilet paper. a product that the whole world needs. Its a very small niche market and I'm just happy to be able to feed my family and provide good stuff to the community. What else can I ask for ?

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”