Samodular Buchla kits

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Samodular Buchla kits

Post by KSS »

Akira wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:24 pm Super stoked to be starting my first Buchla system. starting with a 257, 258, 266, 281, and 292 in a 5 space boat. Done a little bit of DIY in Euro before so gonna start with the 257 and work my way up!
Welcome to Modwiggler -and Buchla, Akira!
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

KSS wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:06 pm Welcome to Modwiggler -and Buchla, Akira!
Thanks KSS

This topic has been a really great resource and helped me make the decision to get started with the SAModular kits.
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg »

Hththt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 am Is anything missing to get the 208 running after building the full kit?
Power/bus board cable and reverb tank included?
I haven't built that kit, but so far the kits Ive built, connectors are included, wires are not. I'm not sure about wiring and connectors for the reverb tank.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

dkcg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:52 pm
Hththt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 am Is anything missing to get the 208 running after building the full kit?
Power/bus board cable and reverb tank included?
I haven't built that kit, but so far the kits Ive built, connectors are included, wires are not. I'm not sure about wiring and connectors for the reverb tank.
Regular wires are not included.
Reverb tank, reverb frame and a shielded wire for the reverb are included.
B-WORD cases & parts - 200s series clone PCBs, panels & full kits - www.samodular.com
luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog »

Welp, time to start putting stuff together.
samodular kits.jpg
voidshell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by voidshell »

:party: Just got my 208 / 218
-- Damion / Boredbrain Music
justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am »

I finished assembling a 291 and a 266, my first Buchla format modules! My case should arrive around mid-November. I can't wait to start bleeping!

ImageImage
ImageImage
momo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by momo »

Not sure why I'm in this thread but just wanted to share that your builds look like you put a lot of love into it. I did want to give some advice though, which if your case is not arriving for a while, will help you pass the time and will give you modules that will last for many years, trouble free, hopefully.

One of my joys with Buchla stuff is not just the apex sonically but also in terms if engineering know how, assembly. Don and his associates clearly evolved this and often when I unbutton 200e modules, I can't help but marvel at the incredible thought to detail. That is not so much them geeking out for the sake of it, but out of necessity. I will explain.

Banana hardware generally places quite significant mechanical stresses on a panel - it deflects in use. Your banana to PCB and your tini to PCB connections appear to be via solid core wire. I would highly recommend you change that to insulated, stranded (often called 'hookup') wire. See second image in my post here for an example: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4#p3696344.

Happy power on when the time comes.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

:agree:
Or use slightly too long solid wire and twist it to a Z shape with tips of non-serrated narrow-nose pliers. The Z-shape has enough 'spring' to deal with the expected flex. and lets you work with solid wire too which can be easier and quicker both now and during any needed repairs
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg »

justin3am wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:19 pm I finished assembling a 291 and a 266, my first Buchla format modules! My case should arrive around mid-November. I can't wait to start bleeping!
Welcome to the dark side. :vader:
justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am »

momo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:37 pm Not sure why I'm in this thread but just wanted to share that your builds look like you put a lot of love into it...
And cat hair!
momo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:37 pmI did want to give some advice though...
Though I generally don't have much to say, I've been reading your posts for many years and I appreciate your input. That makes a lot of sense and it won't be too much work to switch out my resistor clippings for some stranded wire. While I'm not as concerned with authenticity as some may be, I do aim for reliability in the long term.

I wired the banana jacks on quite a few Random*Source modules this way as well. At the time, I wondered if banana jacks move around enough to worry about stress on the PCB... but I didn't wonder for long. :hihi: I plan to replace the white banana jacks on those modules with blue ones at some point, so it won't be difficult to redo the wiring on those as well.

Cheers!
justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am »

dkcg wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:08 pm
justin3am wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:19 pm I finished assembling a 291 and a 266, my first Buchla format modules! My case should arrive around mid-November. I can't wait to start bleeping!
Welcome to the dark side. :vader:
:sb:
momo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by momo »

justin3am wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:26 pm
Though I generally don't have much to say, I've been reading your posts for many years and I appreciate your input. That makes a lot of sense and it won't be too much work to switch out my resistor clippings for some stranded wire. While I'm not as concerned with authenticity as some may be, I do aim for reliability in the long term.
Hello and thanks. If it helps, here is how I do mine, and an example from B&A. Heat shrink on the banana socket’s shaft 👍🏼👍🏼.:

My 258:
BCF6B5E9-001A-4A4A-9427-EB8DF7A1E357.jpeg
B&A 227e:
33A4FD9D-88E4-4C6F-88E8-8046C8733231.jpeg
259:
9C7F0B28-19F3-4001-B9EF-61F05ADB62F6.jpeg
I also wire pots as follows sometimes ; as far as I they were not panel mounted on the 200 series:
9FE8BB04-7CDE-463F-85A9-413BA9BEFCE0.jpeg
mano 1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mano 1 »

Just received a 257 and a 281 kit!
Attachments
5CF6E76C-9FC3-488D-A4CD-51BA35451F4A.jpeg
9A2AAF1F-DA03-4ECC-885B-77927C07017B.jpeg
Peake: Get off my lawn ya damn kids why back in my day we had to climb a mountain in a snowstorm and fight wolf packs just to catch a glimpse of a vactrol

beedeesmith: I just offered Symbolic Sound the burnt offerings of my Visa card as dark tribute for a Pacamara as I’m too squeamish to do a blood sacrifice

Eric Fox Buchla CEO: Please send all complaints to: support@korg.com

elmerfudd: Perversion I say. The ghost of Don should brick your I2C bus. e should have Selcos like the creator untended
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

Finished my first build of a 292c - the third module I’ve ever DIY’d after a Turing Machines and 4MS RCD and definitely more involved!

Personal DIY lessons learnt:
Very thankful for the 258 build doc as an intro to the SA kits!
Must remember the orientation of the IC sockets :doh:
Also actually remember to use the heat shrink that I bought specifically for this!

Much more important lessons learnt from the current 258 build:
Keep an eye out for what the soldering iron is touching whilst soldering other components (goodbye melted styrene capacitor)
And that ya won’t always get the right reading from a multi meter when measuring components installed in the PCB
Also knowing when a solder iron tip is f***ed (just ordered a Gakko FX888 to replace my cheapy pencil iron from an Amazon kit)

Can’t wait to plug it in, but need a case first!

Attachments
FE38CAA8-885B-423A-9141-7A51FABA60BC.jpeg
A6880EA4-207C-45DF-8C48-299B8DE74E95.jpeg
ClausF
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ClausF »

One little hint: you can connect all the GNDs from the Tiny jacks and then use only one wire to connect Tiny grounds to the PCB.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

I thought of that but then couldn’t settle on how to go about it with how close the top 8 jacks are, so just went with doing them individually.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

Question about the 266 for those that have built one: The pot shafts are quite short and when installed in on the PCB the base of the pot is quite a distance from the panel (I also had a similar thing with the switches on my 292). How is it that these a meant to be installed and fixed to the panel (if so)? Any guidance would be very much appreciated!
justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am »

Hmm... I thought that the standoffs which were included with the 266 kit were too long, so I just used some shorter ones I had on hand. I figured the wrong standoffs were included in my kit but maybe I was wrong.
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Akira wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:48 pm Question about the 266 for those that have built one: The pot shafts are quite short and when installed in on the PCB the base of the pot is quite a distance from the panel (I also had a similar thing with the switches on my 292). How is it that these a meant to be installed and fixed to the panel (if so)? Any guidance would be very much appreciated!
The 9mm pots do not attach to the panel, but there is enough shaft to attach the knob to the shaft above the panel.
Akira
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akira »

mritenburg wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:31 pm The 9mm pots do not attach to the panel, but there is enough shaft to attach the knob to the shaft above the panel.
Thanks mritenburg!

That’s how I have it set up currently (haven’t soldered the hookup onto the PCB yet). Since there is no stand off in the bottom left of the 266, leaving any room between the knob and the panel means than the both the knob and pot can wiggle inward and outward, in turn causing the PCB to flex. I had screwed the knob onto the pot so that it sits flush against the panel (so that I’m not pushing on the PCB by moving/pressing on it slightly) but I was still second whether this was correct.
Cecilisntmyname
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cecilisntmyname »

Has anyone got a gut shot of how they soldered the trimmer across R290a on the 259? Doesn't feel like there's enough real estate there, did you use hookup wire and have it dangle?
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Cecilisntmyname wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:00 pm Has anyone got a gut shot of how they soldered the trimmer across R290a on the 259? Doesn't feel like there's enough real estate there, did you use hookup wire and have it dangle?
I mount all of my trimmers on the rear of PCB 2 including R290A. It makes calibration easier, or at least in my opinion it makes calibration easier if I do not have to partially disassemble the module to access the trimmers.
1F9CBB78-5169-4095-9B9B-0E42BC95FEC4.jpeg
Cecilisntmyname
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cecilisntmyname »

Ok great. Looks like you do the hookup wire on the rear too?

Sill question but I ignore pin 2 of the trimmer?
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Cecilisntmyname wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 pm Ok great. Looks like you do the hookup wire on the rear too?

Sill question but I ignore pin 2 of the trimmer?
With the 20K trimmer you are basically converting it into a rheostat. You want to short pin 2 to pin 3. Just fold pin 2 over to pin 3 and tack it in place with a drop of solder. You can bend pin 2 around pin 3 for a better connection.

Yes, for 259 builds I run the required jumpers on the rear of PCB 2. It's just a preference of mine.
Last edited by LaBelleAurore on Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”