Samodular Buchla kits

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Lovekraft
Learning to Wiggle

Samodular Buchla kits

Post by Lovekraft »

Hello all

Anyone had any experience with these kits?

think im ready to take the buchla plunge and it feels like the most well organised place to go

still pretty new to west coast style, any tips on a decent starting setup of 3 or 4 modules from the samodular store?

take it easy
j
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Samodular Buchla kits

Post by LaBelleAurore »

No experience building those kits, but can recommend the following.

Starter system:

1. 259 oscillator
2. 281 envelope generator
3. 292 vca/vcf/lo pass gate
4. 266 random voltages

That will give you a basic voice, basic timing, random melodies, and basic modulation possibilities
Lovekraft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lovekraft »

mritenburg wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:49 am No experience building those kits, but can recommend the following.

Starter system:

1. 259 oscillator
4. 266 random voltages

That will give you a basic voice, basic timing, random melodies, and basic modulation possibilities
nice one thats exactly what i was thinking!
rampy
Common Wiggler

Post by rampy »

I have no experience with these particular kits, but my experiences purchasing from Steffen/SAModular have been great. Quality products and great customer service. Looks like a good one stop shop if you are getting into Buchla DIY.
zzelig
Common Wiggler

Post by zzelig »

Good luck. He's been unresponsive with the status of my order for the past month.
Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle »

mritenburg wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:49 am No experience building those kits, but can recommend the following.

Starter system:

1. 259 oscillator
4. 266 random voltages

+1 for the starter system and a strong recommendation for SAmodular. I've only bought ready built modules by Steffen but his quality and service are excellent.
maxl0rd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by maxl0rd »

While the 259 is an amazing first module to have, it's a terrible choice of a first module to build.

If you are kind of new to this, get the 281/292 combo built and working correctly first before you even dream of trying to build a 259.
If you are *really* new to this, then build something even simpler before trying to build the 281.
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

maxl0rd wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:29 pm While the 259 is an amazing first module to have, it's a terrible choice of a first module to build.

If you are kind of new to this, get the 281/292 combo built and working correctly first before you even dream of trying to build a 259.
If you are *really* new to this, then build something even simpler before trying to build the 281.

This is Sage advice. I know with the Roman boards the build instructions were minimal. Does SAModular provide better build guides with their kits?
ArguZ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ArguZ »

There are like Roman's kits without the errors and real support.
Go for it
tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb »

zzelig wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:55 pm Good luck. He's been unresponsive with the status of my order for the past month.
?
zzelig
Common Wiggler

Post by zzelig »

tobb wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm
zzelig wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:55 pm Good luck. He's been unresponsive with the status of my order for the past month.
?
pm sent.
maxl0rd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by maxl0rd »

Yea SA is awesome. They are just (historically accurate) complex designs.
search64
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by search64 »

Yup, got the 208 kit, very nice.
Tonefloat01

Post by Tonefloat01 »

Does anyone have the SAModular Buchla cases care to chime in about them?
LaBelleAurore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LaBelleAurore »

Tonefloat01 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:48 pm Does anyone have the SAModular Buchla cases care to chime in about them?
I had a SAModular 203-30u case (actually it was a weedywhizz case, he hadn’t changed the name of his business yet). It was really well built. The power switch and bus boards were all solid. This was a few years back and my 200e modules didn’t work well in that case but my 200r clones worked fine. My 200e modules would freeze after a little while. I sold it and got a genuine Buchla 18u for my 200e system when I sold off my 200r clones. I think the bus board designs have been updated since then and work better with 200e now. At minimum the cases are good for 100 and 200 series clones.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

Thank you guys for the kind words.

Kits are not always in stock but as soon as a I get an order I'll happily put those together.
All bags are labelled with values and quantities of parts. Will happily assist if there's any question.

@zzelig
No clue what type of communication you have tried but email is the best way to go. I have a chat option in my shop but unfortunately I'm the only person in a one-man-business who can answer. Sometimes I have to eat, sometimes I have to take care of the kids, sometimes I have to go shopping for food etc and at those times I cannot reply in the chat.
What helps here is so provide a name or email address in the chat because I get the messages after a while via email. If I cannot find a name or an email address to reply to I can't help. "Hey - whats up with my order ?" isn't helpful because I don't know whose message it is. Just FYI.
Another info: Many DHL shipments are delayed currently due to Corona. This is why I'm offering UPS now. So an important note for US customers: Please choose UPS on checkout. DO NOT choose DHL or "tracked mail". If you don't get a shipping quote for UPS on checkout please just send an email to info@samodular.com and I'll sort that out.
Thank you.

Cheers
Steffen
B-WORD cases & parts - 200s series clone PCBs, panels & full kits - www.samodular.com
zzelig
Common Wiggler

Post by zzelig »

weedywhizz wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:56 pm Thank you guys for the kind words.

Kits are not always in stock but as soon as a I get an order I'll happily put those together.
All bags are labelled with values and quantities of parts. Will happily assist if there's any question.

@zzelig
No clue what type of communication you have tried but email is the best way to go. I have a chat option in my shop but unfortunately I'm the only person in a one-man-business who can answer. Sometimes I have to eat, sometimes I have to take care of the kids, sometimes I have to go shopping for food etc and at those times I cannot reply in the chat.
What helps here is so provide a name or email address in the chat because I get the messages after a while via email. If I cannot find a name or an email address to reply to I can't help. "Hey - whats up with my order ?" isn't helpful because I don't know whose message it is. Just FYI.
Another info: Many DHL shipments are delayed currently due to Corona. This is why I'm offering UPS now. So an important note for US customers: Please choose UPS on checkout. DO NOT choose DHL or "tracked mail". If you don't get a shipping quote for UPS on checkout please just send an email to info@samodular.com and I'll sort that out.
Thank you.

Cheers
Steffen
Ok, I'll tried emailing you awhile ago on march 30th and got no response but will try again. I get the coronavirus is delaying shipping, but I don't speak German and can't just call DHL in Germany, which is why I was trying to get in touch with you. We can discuss this further via email.
thombet
Common Wiggler

Post by thombet »

I build the 266, 248 and now working on the 281 kit from Samodular. The kits are very good, everything is well packed and labelled so it saves time to build these modules! great work Steffen!

i also bought 2 cases from Samodular: one for the 208 clone and a 18U case and they are great! no problems so far 8-)

keep up the good work!
djangosfire
dimensionally transcendental

Post by djangosfire »

I’ve always had excellent service and 100% top-quality parts/cases/pcb’s/ etc. when buying from Steffen @ SaModular - He is honest, fast and always working on ways to improve all aspects of his service. Since I am setting up my Synth DIY shop again, I recently placed a fairly large order with SaModular - All arrived safe and surprising fast (we used UPS, since I am located in US) - and again, the packing was exceptional.. and order arrived in perfect condition. Thank you Steffen!

Cheers - Adam
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

Cheers Adam, cheers thombet.
Really appreciate your comments. Love you guys 🙂
B-WORD cases & parts - 200s series clone PCBs, panels & full kits - www.samodular.com
martin_eriksson
1-Post Wiggler

Post by martin_eriksson »

Hello, I am planning to build a 200-system. Will 296 be available through SA-modular. There seems to be quite a few necessary mods, desoldering smd, on the roman one.
djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa »

Hi! Im planning of building a few the modules on sammosular.com
Are there build documents? Could not find them, cheers
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

djthopa wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:33 pm Hi! Im planning of building a few the modules on sammosular.com
Are there build documents? Could not find them, cheers

Started build docs for the 259 and 208p. Not completely done yet but working on them. More to come, time is rare ;)

https://www.samodular.com/buchla-format ... ild-guide/

You'll get a basic idea how I would build the modules and believe me - I'm a sucker for super clean builds :hihi:
Guides for the other modules will all have part placement maps - the rest is already described in my 259 and 208p build guides.
I will of course describe the calibration process.
weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz »

martin_eriksson wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 am Hello, I am planning to build a 200-system. Will 296 be available through SA-modular. There seems to be quite a few necessary mods, desoldering smd, on the roman one.
296 is basically done. Just doing some final mods. No need to desolder anything.
Last edited by weedywhizz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cablebasher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Cablebasher »

Very much looking forward to your 296.

The previous clones seem to have some issues that put me off

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”