Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
divmod
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by divmod »

Sentient Machines wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 pm Hmmm I may have had the tini jacks connected. I wonder if the cv and gate input jacks at the back also have ground?
Yes.
boscio wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 am
divmod wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:17 pm Did you had an audio connection between both systems? Tini cables have ground.
Wouldn't plugging a tini cable into a eurorack jack damage the eurorack jack since the tini cable is slightly wider than the 3.5mm euro ones?
Thanks for writing this warning. I meant any connection between the two systems with a TS cable: 3.5mm, adapter cable, format jumbler...
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sentient Machines »

boscio wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 am
divmod wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:17 pm Did you had an audio connection between both systems? Tini cables have ground.
Wouldn't plugging a tini cable into a eurorack jack damage the eurorack jack since the tini cable is slightly wider than the 3.5mm euro ones?
Yes, but eurorack cables can be plugged into tini jacks. The tiptop stackables are closest to the correct size.
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

Does anyone know if it’ll be possible to use the newly updated 218 keyboard in the current version suitcase alongside the 208c? I’m interested in an easel but I’m not too keen on the new larger case.

Also, any update on how OP-1 Field interacts with 208c via midi?
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

Sentient Machines wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 pm Hmmm I may have had the tini jacks connected. I wonder if the cv and gate input jacks at the back also have ground?
Good point! I have double-checked this. And yes, "Banana-Ground" is connected also to grounds of Eurorack-CV/Gate-IN of the Easel Command. That should mean as long as I connected at least one of those Eurorack-CV/Gate-IN with my Eurorack, I´ve grounded the Easel in general and can use those adapter-cables from Patch Point: https://www.patch-point.com/banana-patc ... pter-cable

...if I didn´t missed anything.?

...so this would mean that a dedicated format jumbler isn´t necessary in use with the Easel Command.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

KitKatAndy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:36 am
Good point! I have double-checked this. And yes, "Banana-Ground" is connected also to grounds of Eurorack-CV/Gate-IN of the Easel Command. That should mean as long as I connected at least one of those Eurorack-CV/Gate-IN with my Eurorack, I´ve grounded the Easel in general and can use those adapter-cables from Patch Point: https://www.patch-point.com/banana-patc ... pter-cable

...if I didn´t missed anything.?

...so this would mean that a dedicated format jumbler isn´t necessary in use with the Easel Command.
Yeah, you’re good with the minijack grounding.
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov »

quiet_crisps wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:10 pm Also, any update on how OP-1 Field interacts with 208c via midi?
Got these setup together now. OP-1 Field works sending midi to the USB B port on the 208c.
Nice combo actually, using the OP sequencers and sending the 208 audio back into the OP-1 to loop etc.
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

Nice one thank you, sounds like a great setup.
erikssynthsaddiction
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erikssynthsaddiction »

I'd love to get my hands on one of these! Amazing piece of kit 🙂
jmj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jmj »

Molotov wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:26 pm
quiet_crisps wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:10 pm Also, any update on how OP-1 Field interacts with 208c via midi?
Got these setup together now. OP-1 Field works sending midi to the USB B port on the 208c.
Nice combo actually, using the OP sequencers and sending the 208 audio back into the OP-1 to loop etc.
Ah, so it works with the OP-1F if one avoids the host port? Are there any setup nuances to this that you can share, or is it just plug and play?
Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov »

jmj wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:45 pm
Molotov wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:26 pm
Ah, so it works with the OP-1F if one avoids the host port? Are there any setup nuances to this that you can share, or is it just plug and play?
Yes exactly, plug and play! Very efficient little setup :)

I use an empty sampler slot on the op1f when sending midi to the 208c, so as not to play the internal engines and record back into tape.
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com
quiet_crisps
Common Wiggler

Post by quiet_crisps »

Edit — please feel free to delete this reply. Apologies and thank you!
borboto
Common Wiggler

Post by borboto »

Anyone has updates when the Music Easel will be out? I’m in between waiting for music easel or get a easel command now. It’s been over a year since their first estimate on it being out
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

quiet_crisps wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:10 pm
Also, any update on how OP-1 Field interacts with 208c via midi?
Search for buchla 208c midi implementation chart. That’ll provide everything you need related to channel assignments and CC#’s.
Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 »

^^ Or the new standalone 218?
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

borboto wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:12 pm Anyone has updates when the Music Easel will be out? I’m in between waiting for music easel or get a easel command now. It’s been over a year since their first estimate on it being out
Good luck, I got tired of waiting and sold mine ^^
borboto
Common Wiggler

Post by borboto »

Sidiblue wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:34 am
borboto wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:12 pm Anyone has updates when the Music Easel will be out? I’m in between waiting for music easel or get a easel command now. It’s been over a year since their first estimate on it being out
Sold your Easel Command? Curious on took you to do it
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

borboto wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:40 am
Sidiblue wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:34 am
Sold your Easel Command? Curious on took you to do it
Waiting for the 218th encouraged me a lot I must say, the design of the new case with the super ugly module on the left finally convinced me :)
So I sold my 208c and I'll surely get a Serge panel Sing To Me. To be more constructive I think I was a bit inexperienced when I bought the 208c and fantasized a bit too much about the instrument. It's beautiful of course but it's not what I'm looking for.
Scrog1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scrog1er »

Sidiblue wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:46 am
I must say, the design of the new case with the super ugly module on the left finally convinced me :)
Same. It’s a pity. Despite the price I was very close to expanding into 200e (slowly) but that case and module are a total disaster.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”