Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
synoptik
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by synoptik »

For the op1 field I don't know (but I would also be interested in having confirmation)
I was talking about the op1 mk1 that I own and with which I use the oplab to send midi / cv to a Syntrx and I hope soon a 208 c.
ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp »

Molotov wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:23 am
synoptik wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:56 pm
Molotov wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:01 am Can anyone with an Easel Command (+ USB midi) and OP1-field, confirm if the OP-1f can send midi via the USB?

The original OP-1 didn't work sadly, but would like to know if the new OP-1 field can be used to control the Easel over USB..
To send mdi (or cv/gate) with the op1, you have to connect the oplab to it (other models exist).
OK thanks, so you can confirm midi over USB, from OP-1 field to 208c USB midi host does not work?
Thats a shame :(
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you don’t need the Oplab if you have the optional USB Midi Host installed on your 208c.
(=^・ω・^)y=|:::|
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sentient Machines »

Has anyone used a Korg SQ-1 to sequence the 208C? Through the cv/gate inputs at the back, the 208c is not detecting gates from the sequencer channels and is only responding to the clock output signals?
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

Regardless of the DUTY setting ? The SQ-1 gate signals are +10V, should be enough.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog »

I've been using the Buchla Tip Top modules to sequence the Easel and it worked perfectly well, thanks for the previous insight guys on the CV / Signal.

The Phasing effect of using Gate 1 and Gate 2 in serie are excellent, some Didgeridoo effects here...only a bit of delay from time to time, I'm using the Tip Top 281 as an extra modulation...
:buchlamarf: :mygod: :buchlamarf:
Radiance2021
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Radiance2021 »

Sentient Machines wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:32 pm Has anyone used a Korg SQ-1 to sequence the 208C? Through the cv/gate inputs at the back, the 208c is not detecting gates from the sequencer channels and is only responding to the clock output signals?
I do this all the time. Make sure you have a propper ground connection between the two.
I feed the CV from the sq1 into the keyboard "pitch" input and the gate from the sq1 into the keyboard "pulse" input from the 208.
Experiment with the duty cycle on the sq1. Shorter settings seem to be more aligned, too short does not trigger and too long lags behind....
beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog »

Ghee, you can even do some ring modulation in am mode by pulling the modulation of the mod oscillator fully up…crazy what you can do wiith this thing..
:buchlamarf: :mygod: :buchlamarf:
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

PNW sequencing easel...
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

Seeing these recent videos reminded me of some of my early explorations with the Easel Command as I studied some of Todd Barton's generous offerings on his Youtube channel. This one was focused on getting "faux chords" out of the Easel using an arpeggiator (and I sent it through a small eurorack companion case for additional processing). Highly recommend new Easel Command owners to check out Todd's Easel tips:
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse »

Oh René!! What an awesome exploration and unfolding!!
Many thanks too for your kind words :hail:
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

I have recently bought a Easel Command and I read here that a lot of you also patch it with the Eurorack, but couldn´t find proper info about it. I´m curious, beside the mechanical differences, if there are any "DOs and DON`Ts" concerning especially voltage differences? For example: Can I use CV from Eurorack to control the "Easel-Frontpanel"? Where are the electrical limits (+/-V) (and is the Easel Command electrically secured against higher voltage)?
Another thing is audio: Can I just put audio from my Eurorack into the Easel as well? Otherway around I usually do via a dedicated input module. But could I also directly put audio from the Easel to any Eurorack module?
Any bad experience from anyone concerning Buchla-Eurorack-Conversion which should be concidered?
Thank you for your rating and sharing your experience :)!
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antonriehl »

KitKatAndy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:58 am I have recently bought a Easel Command and I read here that a lot of you also patch it with the Eurorack, but couldn´t find proper info about it. I´m curious, beside the mechanical differences, if there are any "DOs and DON`Ts" concerning especially voltage differences? For example: Can I use CV from Eurorack to control the "Easel-Frontpanel"? Where are the electrical limits (+/-V) (and is the Easel Command electrically secured against higher voltage)?
Another thing is audio: Can I just put audio from my Eurorack into the Easel as well? Otherway around I usually do via a dedicated input module. But could I also directly put audio from the Easel to any Eurorack module?
Any bad experience from anyone concerning Buchla-Eurorack-Conversion which should be concidered?
Thank you for your rating and sharing your experience :)!

Here's a quick summary (although, there's definitely a lot of information in this thread already on this topic):

The Easel Command has a dedicated Eurorack 1v/o and gate input on the back, for basic control from a Eurorack setup. Nothing extra needed

If you want to connect to the banana jacks (for back and forth use), you will need a format jumbler (there are many options). Remember to also connect your format jumbler's ground jack to the ground on the back of your Easel Command.

Voltage wise, in the Easel Command you will get voltage that ranges from 0-10v for control voltages. Because of its analog nature, you can send it negative voltage without issue. Mixing control voltages through a mixer (whether in Buchla, or Eurorack) is the "official" way to combine voltages. There are a few inputs on the Easel Command that are looking for a voltage of 8v before the voltage is registered, so that may be something to keep in consideration. (Also, several people make Easel Pulse <to/from> Eurorack Gate converters, which you may find useful). Ultimately, the voltage ranges are pretty compatible, so you won't run into many problems.

Audio levels are different. The Buchla will seem "quiet" compared to Eurorack if you patch it in without boosting the level, and sending audio from your Eurorack can be loud enough to distort, if you're not careful. That being said, the external input on the Easel Command has some volume control, so you can usually get them in range with just that switch. I sometimes find I get a "cleaner" sound if I go through some kind of output module first. (I usually use something designed for guitar pedals that has both input and output so I can go both directions).

Otherwise, experiment and have fun. :)
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

Thank you for your big conclusion and safety informations!! So I take with me: If I patch the Easel Command with usual Eurorack Levels -10V til +10V, I won´t be able to damage the Easel. That was my main concerning to miss some certain conditions, which could damage it.

I´ve picked up some of those directly converting cables - so separate grounding isn´t necessary and hopefully no problem (as long as there are no potential differences... which is rare I estimate): https://www.patch-point.com/banana-patc ... pter-cable
Triglav
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Triglav »

Those cables won't carry ground, so a separate ground connection is still necessary.
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

KitKatAndy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:38 pm I´ve picked up some of those directly converting cables - so separate grounding isn´t necessary and hopefully no problem (as long as there are no potential differences... which is rare I estimate): https://www.patch-point.com/banana-patc ... pter-cable
I would recommend Low-Gain format jumblers for converting eurorack to banana, which provide a ground jack.

With attenuators: https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl-1a

Without: https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl1
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

Someone's actually selling one on the forum for $60: viewtopic.php?t=262597&sid=e57e4c9d6ced ... 9676c320dc
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

Triglav wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:10 pm Those cables won't carry ground, so a separate ground connection is still necessary.
image0.jpeg
So I would need to connect a banana-plug there and the other end (outside of the banana-plug) to ground of my eurorack-powersupply, right? I need this ground connection even if I use a Vermona TAI-4 for inputing audio from the Easel Command to Eurorack - so this audio connection don´t "carry" the needed ground connection?

Or as suggested from boscio, just using a format jumbler. As I wanted to save some money for first basic trials I thought those 3,5mm to banana - cables would be a nice solution... :/

As I´m located in germany I may just take one from Schneidersladen. There are two, which catched my attention:
1. I would just take this as pointed form bosico: https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl1
No attenuators (which isn´t a biggy) and no negative voltage protection. When would I need at least a jumbler with negative voltage protection like this one?
2. https://www.low-gain.com/shop/p/utl-1a

Thank you all!
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

KitKatAndy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:12 am
Triglav wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:10 pm Those cables won't carry ground, so a separate ground connection is still necessary.
When would I need at least a jumbler with negative voltage protection like this one?
Negative voltage protection is mainly for 200e modules that could be damaged by negative voltage. But there is no concern re: that for the Easel Command.
Triglav
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Triglav »

KitKatAndy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:12 am
image0.jpeg

So I would need to connect a banana-plug there and the other end (outside of the banana-plug) to ground of my eurorack-powersupply, right? I need this ground connection even if I use a Vermona TAI-4 for inputing audio from the Easel Command to Eurorack - so this audio connection don´t "carry" the needed ground connection?
Banana plugs can only carry a single thing. (Either gnd or a signal in this case) You could also DIY a banana gnd cable which connects the banana signal to the sleeve of a TS cable and connect that to any unused jack in you eurorack.
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

Understood, thats doable! I even found on Patch Point a similar cable which should do it: https://www.patch-point.com/banana-patc ... o-eurorack

Just for anyone who may read this in the future: You see in the pic that I also use the 6,3mm master output on the rear of the Easel to connect to the TAI-4 at the eurorack. I have double-checked: The ground of the 6,3mm jack is connected to the dedicated banana ground jack. So you could also use this 6,3mm master out to connect to eurorack-ground. I`ve checked ground-connection via the TAI-4, but interesting and sadly the GND-sleeve of the 6,3mm plug has no connection to eurorack-ground via TAI-4. But maybe other input modules provide eurorack-GND at the in-jack.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

I completely forgot to connect the ground cable the last time I had the eurorack system playing with the easel command :doh:

Interestingly there were no issues and everything worked fine :despair:
KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KitKatAndy »

I estimate that you may just hear a more or less loud humming, depending on the ground potential difference between both system - not yet tried it myself :)
But I´m also not sure if there could be even more "side"-effects, but I´m not a professional in electronics to give a better rating.
divmod
Common Wiggler

Post by divmod »

Did you had an audio connection between both systems? Tini cables have ground.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Hmmm I may have had the tini jacks connected. I wonder if the cv and gate input jacks at the back also have ground?
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

divmod wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:17 pm Did you had an audio connection between both systems? Tini cables have ground.
Wouldn't plugging a tini cable into a eurorack jack damage the eurorack jack since the tini cable is slightly wider than the 3.5mm euro ones?

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”