Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by ModHiisi »

Hththt wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:37 pm Could someone post shots of inside the command case or give the dimensions of the power board and midi/cv expansions and the 208c itself?
Aren't you currently selling a Command case on b/s/t here..? :despair:
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Hththt wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 am So while it has been discussed a few times. How does the smt C keep the original tone and behaviour vs the p?
Some people seem to have swapped the lpg vactrols.
All the different Easel iterations (BEMI, BUSA..) have somewhat (the differences are mostly rather minute..) different characteristics. But I wouldn't say that that would be a dealbreaker, especially in case of the 208c. As it sounds and behaves excellent!
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sentient Machines »

What is the technique to overdrive the outputs of the 208c? I have heard this on the 208r and it can sound very nice, not sure if it is possible with all iterations including the new one?

Also curious if the m.o.freq input is 1v/oct?

Thank you
Scrog1er
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scrog1er »

It'll be 1.2v/oct but I think it will track.

You can address each oscillator & trigger both pulser and EG all individually via MIDI and it has gone swimmingly for me. IMO it's a real glorious element of the 208C but that'll be sacrilege to the purists.

I don't have further Buchla stuff to use the banana CV in to test tracking on it sadly. Perhaps someoone a little better endowed may chime in.

Side Note;
It's such a pity the new "suitcase" looks terrible, and that output module is absolutely disgusting. I'm so utterly disappointed by it.... doesn't bode well for the future.
izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond »

Sentient Machines wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:12 pm What is the technique to overdrive the outputs of the 208c? I have heard this on the 208r and it can sound very nice, not sure if it is possible with all iterations including the new one?

Also curious if the m.o.freq input is 1v/oct?

Thank you
The m.o. frequency input that’s on the lower left of the 208c has a trim pot that adjusts the tracking of the m.o. you can pretty easily dial it in to track v/oct. I set mine on day one and it’s never need correcting.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

izmond wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:55 am The m.o. frequency input that’s on the lower left of the 208c has a trim pot that adjusts the tracking of the m.o. you can pretty easily dial it in to track v/oct. I set mine on day one and it’s never need correcting.
Good to know, thanks
Scrog1er wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:44 am It'll be 1.2v/oct but I think it will track.

You can address each oscillator & trigger both pulser and EG all individually via MIDI and it has gone swimmingly for me. IMO it's a real glorious element of the 208C but that'll be sacrilege to the purists.

I don't have further Buchla stuff to use the banana CV in to test tracking on it sadly. Perhaps someoone a little better endowed may chime in.

Side Note;
It's such a pity the new "suitcase" looks terrible, and that output module is absolutely disgusting. I'm so utterly disappointed by it.... doesn't bode well for the future.
I agree regarding the case and proposed module. Not classy at all. I am considering buying a 218 with boat and mounting them both in a suitcase. I just need to find one that is the correct dimensions and able to accommodate power supply etc along with ability to modify for the incoming midi etc to the back of the original command boat/case.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Hththt wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 am So while it has been discussed a few times. How does the smt C keep the original tone and behaviour vs the p?
Some people seem to have swapped the lpg vactrols.
I used to own a 208R and love the sound of the Easel Command. It retains the tonal qualities of the original in essence albeit brighter/clearer. I would be very happy to be stuck with either.

The LPG's sound great to me. Personally I wouldn't bother swapping them out but other people have different preferences.
adolan
Common Wiggler

Post by adolan »

Can someone explain how I can sync the 208c to a drum machine and or Ableton?
I have a TR-08 and a OG 606 I would like to mess around with and I would also like to be able to use Ableton at some point with it. What do I need to do to make this happen? sorry for a dumb question but I cant quite figure it out.
axm311
Wiggling with Experience

Post by axm311 »

You can trigger the sequencer or pulsar via a specific midi note, or run a rimshot / click signal into the euro gate in. There is no midi clock sync to my knowledge
adolan
Common Wiggler

Post by adolan »

axm311 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am You can trigger the sequencer or pulsar via a specific midi note, or run a rimshot / click signal into the euro gate in. There is no midi clock sync to my knowledge
Thanks for the reply. :)

So like run a rim shot out of the 606 into the euro gate on the back of the 208c? Or the trigger from the TR-08 into the euro gate?
axm311
Wiggling with Experience

Post by axm311 »

adolan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:50 am
axm311 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am You can trigger the sequencer or pulsar via a specific midi note, or run a rimshot / click signal into the euro gate in. There is no midi clock sync to my knowledge
Thanks for the reply. :)

So like run a rim shot out of the 606 into the euro gate on the back of the 208c? Or the trigger from the TR-08 into the euro gate?
Yep, exactly. I haven’t tried it specifically with the 208c but have done it with my machinedrum to gate or clock other euro modules, so in theory it should work.

In Ableton, you can set up midi clips with different clock divisions using the notes in the below document (for example, C0 should trigger the sequencer which is also fun to do). I usually find that triggering my euro stuff with a note on is much more in sync than midi clock anyway

https://buchla.com/guides/208C_208MIDI_ ... tation.pdf
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

I’m a complete newb when it comes to midi but it seems to say in the midi manual that the pitch of the CO and the MO can be controlled separately by midi through channels 1 and 3. I tried with ableton but was not successful. Am I reading the manual correctly?
Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit »

Yeah you absolutely can ! I’ve done exactly this in Ableton … & with various hardware sequencers. My current live setup is an Elektron Syntakt sequencing the CO & MO on midi channels 1 & 3
Make sure you have the pitch / frequency sliders all the way down & both oscs will (broadly) track midi note numbers
eriksoderberg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eriksoderberg »

Sentient Machines wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:45 am I’m a complete newb when it comes to midi but it seems to say in the midi manual that the pitch of the CO and the MO can be controlled separately by midi through channels 1 and 3. I tried with ableton but was not successful. Am I reading the manual correctly?
Ch1 is for MO & CO and will adjust the pitch for both.
Ch2 will address CO only, and ch3 MO only.
divmod
Common Wiggler

Post by divmod »

Ch 1 is added to the pitch input and will affect the CO and MO only if the respective keyboard switch is on. Ch 2 and 3 are independent of the keyboard switch position.
Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit »

^
yeah, the thing with the MIDI channels is you need to use channel 1 if you also want a gate signal sent. That's why ultimately you can't get a 'true' independent 2 voice system going.
I tend to 'drone' the MO,by opening up the level 2 fader, but with pitch info being sent on MIDI ch 3 so you can get pedal bass type stuff going, or I have the pulser set to fire LPG2, but this still follows the keyboard gate signal which is coming via MIDI channel 1 for the CO, but in practice it works well enough for a sort of 2 voice set-up, for typically a main melody ( CO - MIDI ch 1 ) & counterpoint, or drone or pulsing bass part via the MO ( MIDI channel 3)
Obviously you have to set the MO keyboard switch to 'off' so it doesn't just follow MIDI channel 1 pitch.
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antonriehl »

Xmit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:46 am ^
yeah, the thing with the MIDI channels is you need to use channel 1 if you also want a gate signal sent. That's why ultimately you can't get a 'true' independent 2 voice system going.
I tend to 'drone' the MO,by opening up the level 2 fader, but with pitch info being sent on MIDI ch 3 so you can get pedal bass type stuff going, or I have the pulser set to fire LPG2, but this still follows the keyboard gate signal which is coming via MIDI channel 1 for the CO, but in practice it works well enough for a sort of 2 voice set-up, for typically a main melody ( CO - MIDI ch 1 ) & counterpoint, or drone or pulsing bass part via the MO ( MIDI channel 3)
Obviously you have to set the MO keyboard switch to 'off' so it doesn't just follow MIDI channel 1 pitch.
You can trigger the pulser/eg/sequencer etc on all midi channels, but on channels 2-5 you have to play the specific note(s) that correspond to those modules. So, if you play diads, you can technically get something like a true 2 voice system. The range for those triggers are all pretty low, so I will often double individual keys that are keyswitches on soft synths. Meaning, I have dedicated pads to play those rhythmic elements.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Thanks all, I think I get it now. Will try again later with the digitone.
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Having lots of fun modulating the EG at audio rates...

Here I am using the envelope generator as a sub-oscillator (gate 2) for the mod oscillator (gate 1) by routing the MO to the keyboard pulse input and selecting keyboard for the envelope generator source.

The Attack slider dials in the sub divisions and the Delay slider shapes the wave. Pulsar is in self cycle opening both gates and clocking the sequencer. Sequencer is sent to EG Attack to sequence the frequency divisions of the MO.

As both gates are used up I am finally routing the complex oscillator out to a mixer as a wild drone. Random voltage is sent to Timbre while the MO is FM modulating it.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog »

My first day with the Easel... I'm pleasantly surprised,...I find it to be much more musical that I was expecting, it feels a lot like an acoustic instrument as a matter of facts. The sound is beautiful too, I was worried of it to be harsh but it is very subtle...This is an incredible package in such a small synth...Very very smart and mind blowing...
Bear with me, I'm finding my marks, I'd like to understand how to randomly select the sequences too...The envelop is funny, it's the reverse controls of what you'd expect :-)
:buchlamarf: :mygod: :buchlamarf:
eriksoderberg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eriksoderberg »

Sentient Machines wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:55 pm Having lots of fun modulating the EG at audio rates...

Here I am using the envelope generator as a sub-oscillator (gate 2) for the mod oscillator (gate 1) by routing the MO to the keyboard pulse input and selecting keyboard for the envelope generator source.

The Attack slider dials in the sub divisions and the Delay slider shapes the wave. Pulsar is in self cycle opening both gates and clocking the sequencer. Sequencer is sent to EG Attack to sequence the frequency divisions of the MO.

As both gates are used up I am finally routing the complex oscillator out to a mixer as a wild drone. Random voltage is sent to Timbre while the MO is FM modulating it.

That's really cool!
What are those external small boxes?
One looks like a banana to tinyjacks converter.. I'm planning to build a Cv attenuator box and additional tinyjacks out would be cool, is there resistors or anything else in the path?
Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov »

Can anyone with an Easel Command (+ USB midi) and OP1-field, confirm if the OP-1f can send midi via the USB?

The original OP-1 didn't work sadly, but would like to know if the new OP-1 field can be used to control the Easel over USB..
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

eriksoderberg wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:16 am That's really cool!
What are those external small boxes?
One looks like a banana to tinyjacks converter.. I'm planning to build a Cv attenuator box and additional tinyjacks out would be cool, is there resistors or anything else in the path?
Hi Eric, that is a Synovatron Euro bananas eurorack module for interfacing eurorack to banana systems. Here I am using a tiptop eurorack cable to connect the audio rate EG banana output to the tinijack AUX input; the size is close enough for it to work properly.

The small black box is a handy little battery powered mixer from Bastl, the "DUDE"
synoptik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synoptik »

Molotov wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:01 am Can anyone with an Easel Command (+ USB midi) and OP1-field, confirm if the OP-1f can send midi via the USB?

The original OP-1 didn't work sadly, but would like to know if the new OP-1 field can be used to control the Easel over USB..
To send mdi (or cv/gate) with the op1, you have to connect the oplab to it (other models exist).
Molotov
Common Wiggler

Post by Molotov »

synoptik wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:56 pm
Molotov wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:01 am Can anyone with an Easel Command (+ USB midi) and OP1-field, confirm if the OP-1f can send midi via the USB?

To send mdi (or cv/gate) with the op1, you have to connect the oplab to it (other models exist).
OK thanks, so you can confirm midi over USB, from OP-1 field to 208c USB midi host does not work?
Thats a shame :(
Ambient // Drone // Elektronische Musik.

Radio/blog: https://www.flatlandfrequencies.com/
Submissions: flatlandfrequencies@gmail.com

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”