Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by mgscheue »

Marc said, at Knobcon, that he thinks the 218 will be around $1K.
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

mgscheue wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:11 pm Marc said, at Knobcon, that he thinks the 218 will be around $1K.
I wonder if it is possible to buy the case alone or the case +218 only.
Ears
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ears »

Sidiblue wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:03 am
mgscheue wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:11 pm Marc said, at Knobcon, that he thinks the 218 will be around $1K.
Last year they were saying that would eventually be offered.
mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue »

Yes, I think that’s right.
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

Ears wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:18 am
Last year they were saying that would eventually be offered.
Thank you !
slam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by slam »

Im kinda looking forward to getting the new easel and being able to sync it more easily with my friend’s eurorack system. It’s not so easy to do that with my current easel.

Also the preset card looks fun. I take my easel out to jams with “normal” instruments and it would be nice to have some presets.

I’ll then have 2 and a half easels, and who wouldn’t want that.
dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit »

Feels like I've been waiting forever for a 218, hopefully they actually release them this year.
pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican »

Where that new easel?
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

slam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 am Im kinda looking forward to getting the new easel and being able to sync it more easily with my friend’s eurorack system. It’s not so easy to do that with my current easel.

http://www.portabellabz.be/cvgate208.html ;)
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
drewskee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drewskee »

Marc indicated the keyboard in the powered case would be available, think that case is specific to the 218.
Things should be as simple as possible but not one bit simpler - Albert Einstein
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

drewskee wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:14 pm
Marc indicated the keyboard in the powered case would be available, think that case is specific to the 218.
Thank you !
Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

Could somebody enlighten me if and where sth like the edge card / low profile (cable based connection to the expansion slot) of the 416 expander is available somewhere? I am thinking of entering the 208 world and sell my small euro system. Waiting for the pricetag buchla announced mentioning they where able to cut costs down a bit before i decide between 208c and 208p

Also 208c comes without power and midi but includes the 1v/oct cv and gate conversion?
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

I can supply with male edge connectors to make a cable and the slot can be used to interface with non Buchla gear. If 15V range is too high, you can attenuate the signal according to the external gear specs.

edge-con.jpg

Many people use expansion cards such as the ToolBox and BOB expander to interface with other gear :
http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html

I also offer solutions to adapt signals :
http://www.portabellabz.be/cvgatebuchla.html
http://www.portabellabz.be/cvgate208.html

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

Cool! I will def get some. Would need some header too i suppose.

I wonder how much power is left when driving 2 cards. The 208c aswell as 208r seem to come w/o psu? That adds quite a bit to the costs vs command.
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antonriehl »

Hththt wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:19 am Also 208c comes without power and midi but includes the 1v/oct cv and gate conversion?
No, the MIDI, 1v/oct, and gate options are part of the Easel Command case, not the 208c module itself. In the upcoming full Easel, those connections are moved into a dedicated module.
Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

@papz does that mean we can also hack a bit and power a few not hungry 4u modules via the expansion slot?
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

Yes

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

Not sure i am driving the thread OT
But i wonder if that counts for serge 4u too
borboto
Common Wiggler

Post by borboto »

Sidiblue wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:12 pm
boscio wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:01 pm Another clip from Knobcon, this time with Marc Doty going through it
"...Imminent release... Price range around $4k... likely..."
I hope we can buy the case + 218 without the ugly module? ^^
I’ve been wanting a Buchla Music Easel for a while, but the new version got me thinking.
Bringing the connectors, midi, so on to the top is clearly a business move and not really related with usability in live performance.
You only connect these once in a while, most probably won’t touch them when performing and It’s adding a lot more cluttering to the interface rather than keeping it clear by using it on the side PLUS increasing the case size considerably. (They are still trying to find out what to do with the screen, so there wasn’t a need for it from the beginning)
My 2 cents is this simply exists to push the extra slot to engage people with other buchla modules, sort of gateway into Buchla.

Now I’m just in between getting a Easel Command + 218 or the entire thing once is out.
Triglav
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Triglav »

borboto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:29 pm Bringing the connectors, midi, so on to the top is clearly a business move and not really related with usability in live performance.
You only connect these once in a while, most probably won’t touch them when performing and It’s adding a lot more cluttering to the interface rather than keeping it clear by using it on the side PLUS increasing the case size considerably. (They are still trying to find out what to do with the screen, so there wasn’t a need for it from the beginning)
My 2 cents is this simply exists to push the extra slot to engage people with other buchla modules, sort of gateway into Buchla.
Agreed, having them on the side seems much more elegant. Spinning this as an improvement feels disingenuous.
Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue »

Triglav wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:01 am
borboto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:29 pm Bringing the connectors, midi, so on to the top is clearly a business move and not really related with usability in live performance.
Agreed, having them on the side seems much more elegant. Spinning this as an improvement feels disingenuous.
had a little hope that the ugly module was just optional and that we could have the connectors on the side of the case. It's very disappointing after all this waiting...
Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

I totaly dont fully understand the possibilities of mixing the 1v/oct easel with euro stuff,
I will only keep bits of my euro when making the move. Sequencer, sampler some diy matrix mixer, passive lpgs, fixed filter bank etc.

Can i use the sequencers cv/gate?
Can i mix easel audio with euro audio in a euro powered matrix mixer etc?
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antonriehl »

Hththt wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:44 pm I totaly dont fully understand the possibilities of mixing the 1v/oct easel with euro stuff,
I will only keep bits of my euro when making the move. Sequencer, sampler some diy matrix mixer, passive lpgs, fixed filter bank etc.

Can i use the sequencers cv/gate?
Can i mix easel audio with euro audio in a euro powered matrix mixer etc?
The Easel Command has a Eurorack 1v/oct input (Buchla is normally 1.2v/oct) which is summed with the keyboard input, and a Eurorack Gate input, that can generate pulses in the Buchla system.
Essentially this means you can use Eurorack gear to control the Easel Command. Or, if you have multiple sources, you can combine items together. A common trick might be using 2 sequencers, one with a short pattern, and one that transposes that pattern. These combinations are really only limited to your imagination.

As far as going back to Euro from Buchla, you have to have a format jumbler (converts Banana and 1/8" connections) to get CV. You have to also be aware that Buchla is 0-10V, so you may need some offset depending on what you use in your Eurorack.
The 208c is all analog, so it can accept negative voltages, but you want to be careful if you ever include 200e modules.

Buchla's audio signals are not as hot as Eurorack, so if you want to process the audio, be prepared to compensate for that as well.

Other than that, they work together pretty easily.
Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

So while it has been discussed a few times. How does the smt C keep the original tone and behaviour vs the p?
Some people seem to have swapped the lpg vactrols.
Last edited by Hththt on Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt »

Could someone post shots of inside the command case or give the dimensions of the power board and midi/cv expansions and the 208c itself?

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”