Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by ModHiisi »

Hovmod wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:42 am Oh, crap, I just wrote several paragraphs about my weekend babysitting my friend’s Buchla Command Module, but it all got lost somehow.

Here’s the short version:
I get it now.
What a delicious machine! We (the Buchla and I) are seemingly unable to make ugly noises. It produces these woody, rubbery, watery, organic, natural, *musical* sounds *all the time*, and I will always want a Buchla now. I totally understand how you can spend your entire career one nothing but a Music Easel, and now I’m super inspired to patch my modular gear in new ways.

Deeply, permanently impressed!

2DA3D1D9-E7A6-47C3-A8A3-439E0AF01C8A.jpeg
That grinder caught immediately my attention... Don't let it go stale!

Though, nice setup as well. Also, just recently fell in love with Buchla myself.
Hence, I know what you mean!

8-)

My experience so far has been with 200 series clones, which keep me in a state of awe every time I'm patching them (/it = Trying to build a self contained system/instrument inspired by the ever intriguing Easel, consisting of 212, 258, 257, 277 and a TSNM 4U. Got a bit sidetracked but I'm going to complete that set for a two boat system..).

Gonna check out the Easel finally some day too!
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit »

Do you have any demo vids you wouldn't mind sharing?
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

ersatzplanet wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:50 pm
anselmi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:45 pm
mdoudoroff wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:36 pm There may be third party alternatives down the road.
a couple of boats with aluminum sides to hold them together and i'm in ... i don't need a lid and if i do i can get a decksaver

now I need them to release that 218 at a lower price
I made these for Eurorack but they could easily be modified to work with a 208C by getting larger extrusions. An extra 1U row could be added for all the rear panel stuff on the Easel Command cabinet and the power connections.

6U custom skiffs sm.jpg
Do you have a 4u case available? Interested.
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

Who owns or has experience using two 208's at the same time?
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

Ichor&Gore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:44 am
ersatzplanet wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:50 pm I made these for Eurorack but they could easily be modified to work with a 208C by getting larger extrusions. An extra 1U row could be added for all the rear panel stuff on the Easel Command cabinet and the power connections.
6U custom skiffs sm.jpg
Do you have a 4u case available? Interested.
I don't have any 4U available. I made these for myself and not really for sale (although I have sold a few of them). Someone posted the dimensions of a standard Buchla panel earlier in this thread so it would be pretty easy to draw up something. I made the skiffs shown in that picture by ordering all the metal parts (except for the handles I already had) from www.onlinemetals.com and they cut to size. I happen to live not to far from them so went to pick the parts up, but they used to ship and probably do still (expect to pay for the weight). All you need is a steady had at drilling or a drill press and some nuts and bolts to put it together.

I can hunt for exact panel measurements and draw up side panel drawing (using standard Vector rails) and all you need to do is lay the drawing over the side panels and drill the holes. The side panels can be wood, metal (I used standard 1/4" which aluminum bar stock), plexiglass (I had some custom ones made), or any stiff material. I have seen 1/4" thick Ikea kitchen cutting boards chopped to size and used (surprisingly sturdy and light).

It all comes down to how deep the boat needs to be. The right angle extruded aluminum only comes in a few dimensions and I don't know the depths needed to accommodate the 208 and power busses.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

ersatzplanet, I have no intention of re housing the 208c but would like to make a boat/ case for Buchla panels as I acquire them. If Vector rails work well with the Buchla format then I can assemble a case with plywood. I do like the ones you made though. Great Job.
captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm »

sorry, was repeating myself. look back in the thread a bit to see discussion on why vector rails may not work with some modules including potentially the 208c.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

captnapalm wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:56 pm sorry, was repeating myself. look back in the thread a bit to see discussion on why vector rails may not work with some modules including potentially the 208c.
The thing that was brought up was about whether the PCBs on the modules would run into the rails. The vector rails are almost 0.3" wide with the channel for the mounting screws in the center. This means the PCB would have to be at least 0.15" away from the center of the mounting holes on the module in question to clear the rail. Someone posted that one version of the 208 (don't remember if it was the older one or the new Commander) did overhang this space. In a Buchla boat, the board can tuck under the edge of the metalwork and this is less of a problem. Each module may be different in this respect, and have different clearances for the PCBs.
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 2.29.52 PM.png
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

ersatzplanet wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:36 pm
captnapalm wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:56 pm sorry, was repeating myself. look back in the thread a bit to see discussion on why vector rails may not work with some modules including potentially the 208c.
The thing that was brought up was about whether the PCBs on the modules would run into the rails. The vector rails are almost 0.3" wide with the channel for the mounting screws in the center. This means the PCB would have to be at least 0.15" away from the center of the mounting holes on the module in question to clear the rail. Someone posted that one version of the 208 (don't remember if it was the older one or the new Commander) did overhang this space. In a Buchla boat, the board can tuck under the edge of the metalwork and this is less of a problem. Each module may be different in this respect, and have different clearances for the PCBs.

From memory when I removed the 208C from it's case to install the midi host card the PCB did in fact have some " over hang ". Under hang?
captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm »

Ichor&Gore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:00 pm
From memory when I removed the 208C from it's case to install the midi host card the PCB did in fact have some " over hang ". Under hang?
yes we really just need somebody to take some measurements of a 208c to confirm for certain. I’m pretty sure it won’t work but would love to be wrong.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

An alternate to the Vector rail might be found with the extrusions offered by Front Panel Express in their case enclosure design section. The extrusion is a corner piece that has a channel similar to the vector rails, for holding a sliding nut which the front panel can be bolted to. The depth of this channel is much smaller than that of the Vector rails (looks like ~5mm) so might easily fit between the PCB and the front panel. It looks like this can be cut to length with their design program.
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 10.27.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 10.27.42 AM.png (22.52 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
You could design the whole boat with FPE but I doubt it would be cheap, but could get the rails and make a box around them. I haven't done a lot of research in this, but I would bet that that design is not unique and that there are some other makers with pieces similar to that one.
-James

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Hi everyone ! I'll be able to test a 208C in combination with my Verbos system. Any of you in here has the same configuration ?
I'll try read as much topics as possible before aha but I was wondering if is there a simple way to slave the Buchla 208C with an clock coming from the Eurorack without buying another module ? Thxx
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:34 pm Hi everyone ! I'll be able to test a 208C in combination with my Verbos system. Any of you in here has the same configuration ?
I'll try read as much topics as possible before aha but I was wondering if is there a simple way to slave the Buchla 208C with an clock coming from the Eurorack without buying another module ? Thxx
https://buchla.com/download/

"5) Pulse input to the pulser via the period CV.** To get an independent pulse input to the pulser
externally put the pulser in the “off-ext” position. The period CV control banana input will then connect
through the fader to the pulser trigger source. If the fader is down, it will have no effect. If the fader is
on full it will act like a pulser in sustain mode. If the fader is partially up it will trigger in either transient
mode or exhibit more interesting unusual and sometimes doubled triggering behavior, if for instance
driven by the EG in self mode."

There is a 1/V per octave and Gate in on the back that is 3.5mm and accepts a eurorack levels.

Is Midi an option?
Pulser trigger Note On Note # 9-11 (A-B) 1,2,3,4,5
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Ichor&Gore wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:28 pm
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:34 pm Hi everyone ! I'll be able to test a 208C in combination with my Verbos system. Any of you in here has the same configuration ?
https://buchla.com/download/

"5) Pulse input to the pulser via the period CV.** To get an independent pulse input to the pulser
externally put the pulser in the “off-ext” position. The period CV control banana input will then connect
through the fader to the pulser trigger source. If the fader is down, it will have no effect. If the fader is
on full it will act like a pulser in sustain mode. If the fader is partially up it will trigger in either transient
mode or exhibit more interesting unusual and sometimes doubled triggering behavior, if for instance
driven by the EG in self mode."

There is a 1/V per octave and Gate in on the back that is 3.5mm and accepts a eurorack levels.

Is Midi an option?
Pulser trigger Note On Note # 9-11 (A-B) 1,2,3,4,5
Thank you I was just reading all of these which are helpful.
I did read in this topic that If you have an instrument that can be clocked, and has a clock output, you can send the clock out to the gate input on the Buchla. As long as the pulser is set to keyboard, and is not "off", you will get a pulse that runs in sequence to the clock. Worth a try :)
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Hi,
Just got the Easel Command, what an awesome machine ! That being said, I'm having a very wonky master volume know and looks like it's a normal thing with theses. Anyone else can confirm this ? Thank you and Merry Christmas !
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:45 pm Hi,
Just got the Easel Command, what an awesome machine ! That being said, I'm having a very wonky master volume know and looks like it's a normal thing with theses. Anyone else can confirm this ? Thank you and Merry Christmas !
Im not aware of any issues with the volume. Remember that you have three volume controls. Level, channel and overall volume. Can take some time getting used to.
shhQuiet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shhQuiet »

If by “wonky” you are referring to the physical knob, then yes, I have noticed that mine was touching the case and creating some friction. It also is a bit “bendy” so any pressure on it can easily deform the pot. I have also noticed that the plastic covers on the sliders can contact with the case. For those, I just pull the plastic tip back a little so the slider will move freely.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

shhQuiet wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:22 am
If by “wonky” you are referring to the physical knob, then yes, I have noticed that mine was touching the case and creating some friction. It also is a bit “bendy” so any pressure on it can easily deform the pot. I have also noticed that the plastic covers on the sliders can contact with the case. For those, I just pull the plastic tip back a little so the slider will move freely.
Shaft wobble is very common in PCB mounted pots that don't have a bushing on them for panel mounting. The fulcrum of the shaft is moved farther back and so the knob can wobble more.
POT WOBBLE.png
POT WOBBLE.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 716 times
This can sometimes result in damage to the resistive element in the pot. An easy way to help reduce this from happening is with the use of "top Ht" shoulder washers. You find a nylon shoulder washer that has an inner diameter slightly larger than the pot shaft, and an outer diameter slightly smaller than the panel hole. You take the knob off, slide the washer on with the "top hat" part going in the hole, and put the knob back on. This holds the shaft in the center, and the nylon's natural lubricant makes it smooth. The hassle is of course finding the perfect size washer, but getting even close can help a lot. I have seen some hacks using plastic wrapped around the shaft just at the hole level that also worked really well.
-James

Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Oupsie, this is crazy for the price to be honest...
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

ersatzplanet wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:37 pm
Shaft wobble is very common in PCB mounted pots that don't have a bushing on them for panel mounting. The fulcrum of the shaft is moved farther back and so the knob can wobble more.

POT WOBBLE.png

This can sometimes result in damage to the resistive element in the pot. An easy way to help reduce this from happening is with the use of "top Ht" shoulder washers. You find a nylon shoulder washer that has an inner diameter slightly larger than the pot shaft, and an outer diameter slightly smaller than the panel hole. You take the knob off, slide the washer on with the "top hat" part going in the hole, and put the knob back on. This holds the shaft in the center, and the nylon's natural lubricant makes it smooth. The hassle is of course finding the perfect size washer, but getting even close can help a lot. I have seen some hacks using plastic wrapped around the shaft just at the hole level that also worked really well.
Thank you for your feedback.
Here is a little video of mine A bit surprised to be honest :)
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

This looks wonkier than the "normal" Buchla pots wobble.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

papz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:32 am This looks wonkier than the "normal" Buchla pots wobble.
:(
shhQuiet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shhQuiet »

papz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:32 am This looks wonkier than the "normal" Buchla pots wobble.
Yep, agreed, my volume does not wobble that much. You might want to take off the knob and make sure the pot is tight.
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

I've contacted Buchla and the store. Too much wonky for me.
elinch
Common Wiggler

Post by elinch »

My wobbler as well. I pulled the button a bit upwards because otherwise he makes noises on the panel. When I pulled the knob downwards again, wobblet he almost did not go.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”