Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by antonriehl »

PolarIceCaves wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:23 pm
PolarIceCaves wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:14 pm site crashed
Edit: wonder what the pricing will be, if they got cheaper because of the tiptop deal or something idk
It’s looking like $/€999 each
izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond »

On the Instagram post, Eric says the easel is in production and they’ll be taking orders soon.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

antonriehl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm It’s looking like $/€999 each
Originally I was thinking, “Cool! New lower cost SMT designs like the 208C and TipTop modules”. Then I saw the prices. Maybe not!
dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit »

antonriehl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Edit: wonder what the pricing will be, if they got cheaper because of the tiptop deal or something idk
It’s looking like $/€999 each
257 is $799 and 230 is $899 the other 5 are $999
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

Feels weird having a version that's 4 times the price, I wonder how this interaction between two lines play out. I just hope the global issues doesn't kill the tiptop line, & it'd be cool if they manage to keep them in stock.
slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam »

Most are $999. I’ll probably keep looking for clones myself
axm311
Wiggling with Experience

Post by axm311 »

izmond wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 pm It’s series 200 reissues. Not what I was hoping for.
I was instantly bummed that it wasn’t the suitcase / 218 “kit” for the 208C but then relieved it was something that I had zero interest in buying.

Sadly I think it will be a very long time until the suitcase / 218 kit will be available, as full easels will be the priority and availability will be in slow waves like the 208c
arseface
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arseface »

Ichor&Gore wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:42 pm
arseface wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm Ordered a 223e for my Easel Command as I plan on making a 200e system in the future and want to have the ability to make a Easel-K when they release their suitcases/218e/New Music Easel.
On the downside I have to wait till March/April to get the 223e as it's delayed due to covid shortages and when I asked about an ETA on the 218e/Suitcases I got told there was no ETA... :waah:
I'll just have to stuff the 208c and 223e port into my 5U case until then...
That's an interesting choice as far as 1st modules go to accompany the 208c. Patients is required. On my mind has been the 259e or 250e.
My first module to add onto the 208c was actually a Metasonix Triple Sublime Asseater, then a Samodular 259s Kit I ordered along with my 5U case and have since built. Not the same but I would highly recommend getting the 259(e) as an add on for the 208c, having another oscillator and CV out really adds another dimension to the command.
nhalda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nhalda »

Anybody have an idea of how many 208c units are out in the wild? I can't find anything reliable.
dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio »

nhalda wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:49 am Anybody have an idea of how many 208c units are out in the wild? I can't find anything reliable.
I think I remember on that Buchla podcast Source of Uncertainty that they were making them in fairly small batches, like 100 units or so at a time. So each wave that goes out is around 100. I could be mistaken, but given the price point and niche market, that sounds about right. So for a total number, I’d guess it’s in the low 1,000’s.
nhalda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nhalda »

dumaisaudio wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:22 am
nhalda wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:49 am Anybody have an idea of how many 208c units are out in the wild? I can't find anything reliable.
I think I remember on that Buchla podcast Source of Uncertainty that they were making them in fairly small batches, like 100 units or so at a time. So each wave that goes out is around 100. I could be mistaken, but given the price point and niche market, that sounds about right. So for a total number, I’d guess it’s in the low 1,000’s.
This is what I'm thinking too, if not lower. It's my eventual plan to get one of these, but it's not a purchase I can justify without actually playing one in person first. Hopefully there will be more floating around to try out in New England at some point.
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

nhalda wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:41 am
dumaisaudio wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:22 am
This is what I'm thinking too, if not lower. It's my eventual plan to get one of these, but it's not a purchase I can justify without actually playing one in person first. Hopefully there will be more floating around to try out in New England at some point.
I would hope that they would hand some of the production of them over to the guys at TipTop. They have the infrastructure to produce reliable quantities of them.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases
Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd »

wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:03 pm I have one for sale if that is your question. :) Brand New 208c. Recently invested in a custom skylab so it won't be getting much use.
Forum rules are that you can’t sell until you’ve hit fifty (100?) posts. Community trust is an important part of the buying / selling forums.

That said, welcome.
nhalda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nhalda »

ersatzplanet wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:44 pm I would hope that they would hand some of the production of them over to the guys at TipTop. They have the infrastructure to produce reliable quantities of them.
I'd love to see it too.
winn3r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by winn3r »

Also update the bottom text to “TipTop & Buchla & Associates - Thailand & Berkeley, California”

:hihi:
dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio »

Normally, I’d be worried about buying a $4000 instrument (which what I assume the easel will sell for once they start selling them), but given the quantities and the used market, I know I won’t have a problem selling it if I decide it’s not for me.
timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim »

So I was hoping for some news out of Superbooth this year as to when we might be getting the new Music Easel. All I’ve managed to find so far online is this screen grab I took from a Wine&Synths video walkthrough.

Seems to be a new program manager card maybe?
No sign of a new easel though…
Anyone got any news?
B11B67AE-9ECF-48D0-B619-3E949C7DB88F.jpeg
ryangaston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ryangaston »

It is, in fact, a new program manager card (functionally similar to the iProgram card, but not iPad/iOS-dependent afaik). Sadly I don’t think any official info has surfaced yet, but I’m certainly curious what opportunity it’ll have for computer interfacing.
"I have always been outside and I've chosen to remain there."
--DB
timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim »

Thanks for that. I'm curious too. A new program manager card like that would seem to imply a rethinking about the format the new easel showed up in last year. Or not. Maybe they plan to offer an option to easel command owners too. Either way, looking forward to something official, eventually.
charliebrown
1-Post Wiggler

Post by charliebrown »

Wow, jumping in because I was trying to find an alternative controller for the easel command in lieu of sensel or a 218. If you have an iPad I highly recommend the Velocity Keyboard app.

It’s easy to play, and has great mapping options. I mapped the key Y axis to the timbre amount and key touch radius to mod amount and it’s incredibly expressive and fun.

Not affiliated with the app, but just wanted to share! Haven’t seen anyone using it in these threads.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/velocity- ... 1462605052
Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

charliebrown wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:28 pm Wow, jumping in because I was trying to find an alternative controller for the easel command in lieu of sensel or a 218. If you have an iPad I highly recommend the Velocity Keyboard app.

It’s easy to play, and has great mapping options. I mapped the key Y axis to the timbre amount and key touch radius to mod amount and it’s incredibly expressive and fun.

Not affiliated with the app, but just wanted to share! Haven’t seen anyone using it in these threads.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/velocity- ... 1462605052
While very $$$ I love the combo of Easel + Haken Continuum + CVC. The level of control really is beautiful and organic.

And yes, Velocity is also really awesome - and not gonna break the bank.

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”