Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Veteran Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by 01235813 »

ModHiisi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm
That's interesting. And yeah, you can tell from a far that the differences aren't in the Vactrols alone. Do you have one that you prefer over the other(s), or have you noticed some specific qualities between them where one would excel over the others in some way, or any other preferences?

A side by side comparison intrigues me as well... :mrgreen:
my favorite? I have a 208p, Busa easel, and command. I usually play two at once. Every now and then I'll switch things up add a different one, at that moment that will be my favorite, till I switch again. I know thats not the answer anyone is looking for but it's somewhat honest.

I will say that a proper working 208p is quite the treat, if it has been professionally built and calibrated, which is by no means a given.
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

ModHiisi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm Is that aggressive marketing or what? Haha!
Definitely not, it's only a private joke referring to some PM exchanges Carmelo and me had.
On a side note, I'm overworked atm and in the excitement / hassle of finalizing the purchase of a new home and preparing the big move, I struggle to fullfill pending orders and more work is the very last thing that I need right now. :party:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

papz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm
ModHiisi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm Is that aggressive marketing or what? Haha!
Definitely not, it's only a private joke referring to some PM exchanges Carmelo and me had.
On a side note, I'm overworked atm and in the excitement / hassle of finalizing the purchase of a new home and preparing the big move, I struggle to fullfill pending orders and more work is the very last thing that I need right now. :party:
That was a joke, not meant in a derogatory manner. Didn't realize your's was a joke too, though. Haha.

Anyway, I've been tempted by a 208p many times. And still am...
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
szzdz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by szzdz »

mapmap wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm I would love to see side by side comparisons of the different versions of 208
Has anyone done it?
this is a classic

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... s#p1416519
mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap »

Nice. Thanks.
Now to add the 208c
g3rsh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by g3rsh »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
antonriehl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Hi, I've been asked to post a better video of the " strange " behaviour of the Modulation Oscillator. His pitch went really high even in " low mode " without any patch or incoming midi data. It looks like this is something related with the Cross Modulation
Here is the link :

If you want to try on your 208C, feel free to let me know if you get the same behaviour.

Cheers

I just matched all your settings, and do not get the same result. Not sure what is happening on yours. :(
Strange, i had two units from the store and happened on both :/
I've had similar behavior with my 208c I got in early 2021. The mod oscillator goes wild and just sits at a super high frequency, until I power off the 208c. It only happens when I am frequency modulating the mod oscillator with the FM knob turned up to max and under very specific conditions (i.e. complex osc. is at certain waveshape + frequency). It doesn't happen often, but power cycling the 208c resets the mod osc. to it's default behavior. I'll start playing around over the next few days to see what I can come up with.
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

g3rsh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:19 am
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
antonriehl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Hi, I've been asked to post a better video of the " strange " behaviour of the Modulation Oscillator. His pitch went really high even in " low mode " without any patch or incoming midi data. It looks like this is something related with the Cross Modulation
Here is the link :

If you want to try on your 208C, feel free to let me know if you get the same behaviour.

Cheers

I just matched all your settings, and do not get the same result. Not sure what is happening on yours. :(
Strange, i had two units from the store and happened on both :/
I've had similar behavior with my 208c I got in early 2021. The mod oscillator goes wild and just sits at a super high frequency, until I power off the 208c. It only happens when I am frequency modulating the mod oscillator with the FM knob turned up to max and under very specific conditions (i.e. complex osc. is at certain waveshape + frequency). It doesn't happen often, but power cycling the 208c resets the mod osc. to it's default behavior. I'll start playing around over the next few days to see what I can come up with.
Thank you for the feedback. Got other persons who had the same behaviour. I'm wondering what Buchla will say about this tho
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet »

01235813 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm I own several flavors of the easel. They are all different, same interface but different feel. It's not just the vactrols, the way the pulser and EG react, the wavefolding (this is a big one) as well as MO/CO sound are quite different. I'm repeating myself but i like to compare them to guitars, a Takamini has a way different sound and feel to an Ovation. I feel the same applies to the different easels.
This is the same reason it is futile to compare new clones of older synths with their originals. Unless the manufacturer uses all 1% or lower tolerance resistors, capacitors, and pots (which is basically impossible), all analogue circuits will react or sound differently if looked or listened to close enough, from other models, even different runs of the same model. Some circuit designs are way more forgiving, and will even out these sorts of effects, but circuits that depend on capacitors for timing, for instance, can vary a lot. Many capacitors are in the 20% tolerance range. And this also changes over time, or when exposed to heat/cold cycles.

Just like the wood in guitars comes from different trees, the guitars are made by different craftsman in the same shop, often under different environmental conditions, each analogue instrument has a subtle difference for another. These differences typically only show up when you place them side by side. As a previous owner of Oberheim's, both 4-voice and 2-voice, the differences between SEMs is what makes them sound so good. Like an ensemble of separate musicians playing, instead of just copies of the same sound.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

ersatzplanet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 am
01235813 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm I own several flavors of the easel. They are all different, same interface but different feel. It's not just the vactrols, the way the pulser and EG react, the wavefolding (this is a big one) as well as MO/CO sound are quite different. I'm repeating myself but i like to compare them to guitars, a Takamini has a way different sound and feel to an Ovation. I feel the same applies to the different easels.
This is the same reason it is futile to compare new clones of older synths with their originals. Unless the manufacturer uses all 1% or lower tolerance resistors, capacitors, and pots (which is basically impossible), all analogue circuits will react or sound differently if looked or listened to close enough, from other models, even different runs of the same model. Some circuit designs are way more forgiving, and will even out these sorts of effects, but circuits that depend on capacitors for timing, for instance, can vary a lot. Many capacitors are in the 20% tolerance range. And this also changes over time, or when exposed to heat/cold cycles.

Just like the wood in guitars comes from different trees, the guitars are made by different craftsman in the same shop, often under different environmental conditions, each analogue instrument has a subtle difference for another. These differences typically only show up when you place them side by side. As a previous owner of Oberheim's, both 4-voice and 2-voice, the differences between SEMs is what makes them sound so good. Like an ensemble of separate musicians playing, instead of just copies of the same sound.
Well stated! :tu:
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 01235813 »

I've heard others play beautiful music with any iterations of the easel. There's a video of Charles Cohen playing a bemi (on a moving bus!) and it's great. There is also this:

After three years of spending every spare moment I have learning to play this instrument my advice is: accept the acceptable quirks, learn the feel of the instrument, don't overanalyze the electro-organism and have fun learning the ins and outs.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Not a fan of Alessandro Cortini.

Huge fan of Charles Cohen though! It was actually on the temple Of Bon Matin's 'BULLET INTO MESSMERS HEAD' that I heard the Easel (and of it) the first time..!

And I'm not sure if it's the snappier envelopes that make the 208C sound sorta similar to 200e (a sound I've been intrigued to incorporate in my setup..), when compared to BEMI Easel (that just sorta sounds a bit colder/thinner/harsher[?] version of the original ..). The BEMI also seems to have a more aggressive sound than the 208C (apparently the og too, but that seems a bit more rounded overall tone-wise), but that's one reason more for me to like the 208C. I especially love how it handles the mids and highs, though it's no slouch in the bass department either... And a reason I just got rid of my Rogue (can't stand that overdriven sound anymore, which never was my fave aspect anyways [that and the goddamn squealy cat filter sweeps etc. haha].. The Rogue sounds great, mostly. But the not so sweet spot [to me] is too big of a black hole. I must be spoiled by the Serge waveshapers etc..). But I totally get it (and respect) that that/those aspect(s) can be THE selling point to someone. And that goes to Mr. Cortini as well...

I've come to a conclusion that a mix of different iterations of Buchla serves me well, Incredible variety in sounds..!

And for the musician/artist/whatever to learn the ins and outs of one's instrument, is a given. To me at least. But that is a valid point.
Last edited by ModHiisi on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

ersatzplanet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 am
01235813 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm As a previous owner of Oberheim's, both 4-voice and 2-voice, the differences between SEMs is what makes them sound so good. Like an ensemble of separate musicians playing, instead of just copies of the same sound.
Exactly!
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

double
gegeartist
Common Wiggler

Post by gegeartist »

Have you a link with different patches from the easel command please ?
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

rklem
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rklem »

According to the 208C MIDI Implementation PDF it should react to note messages on bus A in a 200e system in REMOTE or BOTH mode. Mine only reacts in BOTH mode, not in REMOTE. Is this an error in the PDF or is something wrong with my 208C?
arseface
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arseface »

Ordered a 223e for my Easel Command as I plan on making a 200e system in the future and want to have the ability to make a Easel-K when they release their suitcases/218e/New Music Easel.
On the downside I have to wait till March/April to get the 223e as it's delayed due to covid shortages and when I asked about an ETA on the 218e/Suitcases I got told there was no ETA... :waah:
I'll just have to stuff the 208c and 223e port into my 5U case until then...
Ichor&Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Ichor&Gore »

arseface wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm Ordered a 223e for my Easel Command as I plan on making a 200e system in the future and want to have the ability to make a Easel-K when they release their suitcases/218e/New Music Easel.
On the downside I have to wait till March/April to get the 223e as it's delayed due to covid shortages and when I asked about an ETA on the 218e/Suitcases I got told there was no ETA... :waah:
I'll just have to stuff the 208c and 223e port into my 5U case until then...
That's an interesting choice as far as 1st modules go to accompany the 208c. Patients is required. On my mind has been the 259e or 250e.
gegeartist
Common Wiggler

Post by gegeartist »

My Easel
Attachments
IMG_20220125_014823.jpg
dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio »

There’s a countdown on the Buchla Instagram page ending tomorrow. Hoping it’s Easel related.
slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam »

Isn’t it ending at noon today? Excited!
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

:goo: :goo: :goo:

Can't wait.
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves »

Lol site crashed
izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond »

It’s series 200 reissues. Not what I was hoping for.
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves »

PolarIceCaves wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:14 pm site crashed
Edit: wonder what the pricing will be, if they got cheaper because of the tiptop deal or something idk

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”