Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Schranzformat
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by Schranzformat »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm Hi while I was trying my new EC (no more wonky knobs or scratches really happy)
Hi,
My congratulations! The Master volume pot is no longer wobbly? I'm still debating whether to change my copy or keep it.
Buchla did not respond to your complaint?
If it's not difficult for you, you can please, post a short video of what pots are on the new Buchla copy now (This will help me as an argument to the seller that not all copies of Buchla pots are equally wobbly).

Thanks!

Once again, congratulations!
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Schranzformat wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:48 am
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm Hi while I was trying my new EC (no more wonky knobs or scratches really happy)
Hi,
My congratulations! The Master volume pot is no longer wobbly? I'm still debating whether to change my copy or keep it.
Buchla did not respond to your complaint?
If it's not difficult for you, you can please, post a short video of what pots are on the new Buchla copy now (This will help me as an argument to the seller that not all copies of Buchla pots are equally wobbly).

Thanks!

Once again, congratulations!
The one I got from the new batch is way better. Having a lot of fun with it, I'll post a video asap.
The only thing that surprised me is what I said about the Mod Osc getting stucked in high pitch in certain settings of cross mod but let be honest, the sound at this point is (to me) not great at all so I won't go that far in terms of modulations.

That being said, no news from Buchla yet but my friends at Signal Sounds (UK) are probably the best customer service ever !
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Got an Easel Command C (on a payment plan) locally. Finally! After drooling over pictures and recordings of it for the last, around, 20 years. Fucking beautiful, I must say. It sounds quite different than my 200 clones (and based on many demos etc., different when compared to the BEMI and og/clones as well..). But I actually love that, it complements the 200 very nicely giving a richer palette of tones etc. Great sounding instrument(!) for sure!

About the ever wobbly knobs: On mine, the Monitor Level and Master Volume knobs are about as wobbly, and somewhat wobblier that the other knobs/pots.
Sonic pollution for psychic hygiene
Selador
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Selador »

There was an estimation that orders would begin to be taken for the full Easel by the end of 2021, with shipping not too much later-- has anyone gotten any info or updates on the timeline?
Born like this, into this, as chalk faces smile

keimart.in
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Selador wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm There was an estimation that orders would begin to be taken for the full Easel by the end of 2021, with shipping not too much later-- has anyone gotten any info or updates on the timeline?
The guy in the shop (I got mine from) said that they're expecting some units next month, but who knows. Mine was a remainder from the last batch.
Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

ModHiisi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:08 pm
Selador wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm There was an estimation that orders would begin to be taken for the full Easel by the end of 2021, with shipping not too much later-- has anyone gotten any info or updates on the timeline?
The guy in the shop (I got mine from) said that they're expecting some units next month, but who knows. Mine was a remainder from the last batch.
You have the full suitcase that was demo’ed at Knobcon 2021? I didn’t realize any batches were out yet.
https://www.gearnews.com/knobcon-superb ... -revealed/
Last edited by Ears on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selador
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Selador »

Incredible, thank you!

Also, it looks like we're rather geographically close to each other-- where do you get yours from?
Born like this, into this, as chalk faces smile

keimart.in
dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio »

I’ve been waiting for a full Easel to be released, hopefully they’ll be coming soon. I’d rather not just get a 208c in case the keyboard and case aren’t available separately at first.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Ears wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm
You have the full suitcase that was demo’ed at Knobcon 2021? I didn’t really any batches were out yet.
https://www.gearnews.com/knobcon-superb ... -revealed/
No, just the standalone module.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

Selador wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:16 pm
Incredible, thank you!

Also, it looks like we're rather geographically close to each other-- where do you get yours from?
Got mine from here: https://www.tampereenmusiikki.fi/fin/bu ... -104523-42

And then there's this: http://www.jam.se/studio/synthanalogvin ... nd_Module/
PhutneyBuilder
Common Wiggler

Post by PhutneyBuilder »

I found a 3 position switch on the Main PCB, it is in the M.O.Freq position normally, but has two other options Stage and Sus Stage, there is also a jumper to the left of the switch, which has no jumper fitted as normal, if a jumper is added the sequencer position can be modified with a -CV, how cool is that, why isn't this in the manual LOL!
mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap »

PhutneyBuilder wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:11 am why isn't this in the manual LOL!
It is in this document in the “advanced users” section on the 2nd to last page

https://buchla.com/guides/208C_addendum.pdf
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

PhutneyBuilder wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:11 am I found a 3 position switch on the Main PCB, it is in the M.O.Freq position normally, but has two other options Stage and Sus Stage, there is also a jumper to the left of the switch, which has no jumper fitted as normal, if a jumper is added the sequencer position can be modified with a -CV, how cool is that, why isn't this in the manual LOL!
I didn't get what the jumper do actually Vs the switch in the other positions, might try but I don't like to open and close the EC often :goo:
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

Hi, I've been asked to post a better video of the " strange " behaviour of the Modulation Oscillator. His pitch went really high even in " low mode " without any patch or incoming midi data. It looks like this is something related with the Cross Modulation
Here is the link :

If you want to try on your 208C, feel free to let me know if you get the same behaviour.

Cheers
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Hi, I've been asked to post a better video of the " strange " behaviour of the Modulation Oscillator. His pitch went really high even in " low mode " without any patch or incoming midi data. It looks like this is something related with the Cross Modulation
Here is the link :

If you want to try on your 208C, feel free to let me know if you get the same behaviour.

Cheers

I just matched all your settings, and do not get the same result. Not sure what is happening on yours. :(
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

antonriehl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm Hi, I've been asked to post a better video of the " strange " behaviour of the Modulation Oscillator. His pitch went really high even in " low mode " without any patch or incoming midi data. It looks like this is something related with the Cross Modulation
Here is the link :

Cheers

I just matched all your settings, and do not get the same result. Not sure what is happening on yours. :(
Strange, i had two units from the store and happened on both :/
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

Carmelo_P82 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
antonriehl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Here is the link :

Cheers

Strange, i had two units from the store and happened on both :/
I do have one of the earlier batches, and they changed the PCB between mine and the more recent ones... so it's possible something changed?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 01235813 »

Here is the link :

Cheers
Just checked last night. My unit does not display this behavior. My unit was of the first production run.
Carmelo_P82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Carmelo_P82 »

They probably changed something in the PCB. Just wondering if I can live with it or not then .. what you guys think ? I'm also waiting for the Buchla reply
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

A good alternative is available next door. ;)
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

papz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 am A good alternative is available next door. ;)
Is that aggressive marketing or what? Haha!

Nevertheless, I'm actually happy with mine (warts n' all). Though I have considered getting a 208 clone on the side, if only for different flavors. Although that might be somewhat unnecessary considering the 200 clones that I got (and am building..). And if I would have to choose between clones and the 208C? I dunno, apples and oranges, and all that...

8-)

edit: That bug is bullshit at that price though. But I'm confident they'll get it/them fixed one way or another...
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 01235813 »

ModHiisi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm
papz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 am A good alternative is available next door. ;)

Nevertheless, I'm actually happy with mine (warts n' all). Though I have considered getting a 208 clone on the side, if only for different flavors. Although that might be somewhat unnecessary considering the 200 clones that I got (and am building..). And if I would have to choose between clones and the 208C? I dunno, apples and oranges, and all that...

8-)

edit: That bug is bullshit at that price though. But I'm confident they'll get it/them fixed one way or another...
I own several flavors of the easel. They are all different, same interface but different feel. It's not just the vactrols, the way the pulser and EG react, the wavefolding (this is a big one) as well as MO/CO sound are quite different. I'm repeating myself but i like to compare them to guitars, a Takamini has a way different sound and feel to an Ovation. I feel the same applies to the different easels.
mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap »

I would love to see side by side comparisons of the different versions of 208
Has anyone done it?
mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap »

I would love to see side by side comparisons of the different versions of 208
Has anyone done it?
ModHiisi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModHiisi »

01235813 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm
ModHiisi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm

8-)

I own several flavors of the easel. They are all different, same interface but different feel. It's not just the vactrols, the way the pulser and EG react, the wavefolding (this is a big one) as well as MO/CO sound are quite different. I'm repeating myself but i like to compare them to guitars, a Takamini has a way different sound and feel to an Ovation. I feel the same applies to the different easels.
That's interesting. And yeah, you can tell from a far that the differences aren't in the Vactrols alone. Do you have one that you prefer over the other(s), or have you noticed some specific qualities between them where one would excel over the others in some way, or any other preferences?

A side by side comparison intrigues me as well... :mrgreen:

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”