BUCHLA format cases | Cables | Knobs | REVISED PCBs & panels

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

fredguy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla format cases | cables | knobs | PCBs & panels

Post by fredguy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks for the confirmations on the lack of issues with 200e modules/ preset storage in the SAModular case.

That's why I love this place. :party: :hail: :miley:
"I drink gin, and once, when drinking gin, I made a large man cry." Bill Murray

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Just a quick info:

Portabellabz 208 products will very very soon be available @ samodular.com - including 208p full kits, the 208 Toolbos, VCS3 card etc. :party:
Buchla format cases & parts - Buchla 200s series clone PCBs & panels - www.samodular.com

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 am

Black 248 MARF panels are in :party: :party: :party:
A perfect combo for those who want a black 208 + 218 or 208 + 248 combo.

Buchla format cases & parts - Buchla 200s series clone PCBs & panels - www.samodular.com

momo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by momo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 pm

Nice. I sent you a PM here on 24 March re. MARF PCBs. Is it better if I send an email?

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 pm

momo wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 pm
Nice. I sent you a PM here on 24 March re. MARF PCBs. Is it better if I send an email?
PM‘d. eMail is better though :)

ophidian
Common Wiggler

Post by ophidian » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Gawd those are compellingly beautiful. ❤️

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 pm

Portabellabz 208p PCBs are in - fully black or in blue. Silkscreened and with soldermask. Full 208 kits are available as well :party: :party: :party:
Full kits include ALL parts from the BOM, including rare parts, wires, the panel & PCBs, Rogan knobs. Original Excelitas Vactrols included with the full kits and are also available for customers of the 208 PCB & panel set.
Price for a 208 PCB & panel set ex. VAT (for US customers for example) is 411,76€ for both color schemes (fully black or blue/silver).
Bundle price ex. VAT for a 208p + 218 is 629,41€. 218 PCBs come pre-coated :tu:

Also black 218 PCBs (pre-coated) are available in black and the regular color scheme (blue/red).
The shop has been updated to also include Portabellabz 208 HUB, Toolbox, BOB Expander, VCS3 card.
Need boats or cases for your 208 and 218 ? Sure - available @ samodular.com - Highest quality stuff. Powder coated boats, optimized design, threaded inserts. No "Tinnerman" nuts/clips etc. Mounting screws included. Made in Germany.

Buy with confidence. Legit registered business ! Will never ask for Paypal friends / family payments and you'll get a proper invoice for sure. VAT deduction for EU businesses or non-EU customers.

https://www.samodular.com/buchla-cases- ... a-modules/

jimfowler
Ultra Wiggler

Re: BUCHLA format cases | Cables | Knobs | REVISED PCBs & panels

Post by jimfowler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Looks great! Have you given any though to offering just the top two pcbs of the 218? For those of us with the EMS version and less-than-satisfactory DIY coating results?

Throwgnilli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Throwgnilli » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 pm

What does the “in” jack do on the 218?

ophidian
Common Wiggler

Post by ophidian » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Portamento in?

Throwgnilli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Throwgnilli » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:28 pm

I don’t know, but the “in”
to the left of the portamento knob.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sat May 01, 2021 6:50 am

It's a CV input to control the portamento rate.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm

I recently received a batch of cables from SA Modular and they are fantastic in build quality and feel. They arrived fairly quickly for being international (much faster than many other things that I am waiting on).

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Tue May 04, 2021 4:41 am

bphenix wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm
I recently received a batch of cables from SA Modular and they are fantastic in build quality and feel. They arrived fairly quickly for being international (much faster than many other things that I am waiting on).
Thank you very much for your feedback, much appreciated.

Happy to hear you like the cables :party: :party:

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am

fredguy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Thanks for the confirmations on the lack of issues with 200e modules/ preset storage in the SAModular case.

Hearing multiple people commenting about how well their SA Modular cases are working with their different modules is reassuring for me.
I was under the assumption that if you weren’t using an official Buchla case then all bets were off based on that last podcast.
Does anyone have Buchla, Keen, and other modules that play nice together in their SA Cases?
The space you occupy determines the time you live in.

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am
fredguy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Hearing multiple people commenting about how well their SA Modular cases are working with their different modules is reassuring for me.
I was under the assumption that if you weren’t using an official Buchla case then all bets were off based on that last podcast.
Does anyone have Buchla, Keen, and other modules that play nice together in their SA Cases?

My current observations:

I have a 24U samdular case dedicated for testing 200e series modules because people had issues with preset manager lockups in the past.
The system includes:

207e
210e
223e
225e
250e
251e
256e
259e (x2)
261e
266e
272e
281e
285e
291e
296e
292e

Equals 16 modules or a total of 21U. More modules to come.
Flooding the system with 300BPM MIDI clock while using knobs works perfectly fine so far - no lockups.
I have added a Studio.h DPO and CSR. With repeaters installed on each of those units -> no lockups. The CSR doesn't work perfectly on every busboard connector though. I had to change its position 1-2 times to make the system work stable those modules installed. Having only the DPO added - even without a repeater works perfectly fine as well.

Buchla USA just revised their busboards to have a stable 24wls system now - with 200e series modules. Want to use Studio.h modules ? No luck as far as I know. Its great that Buchla got the lockups fixed but the drawback is - Studio.h modules won't work any more. No clue about Keen's modules though. Never tested them myself. Please note that samodular busboards are constantly being improved wherever possible to make all sorts of modules playing nicely together.

Please also note that the Buchla 24wls is powered by 2A bricks for +15/-15V rails and 6A for the 5V rails. Thats totally fine for the 200e series lineup as they draw more current from the 5V rail. Analog modules like in 200 clone systems or Studio.h modules draw much more current from the +/-15V rails but less from the 5V rail. So the Buchla USA 24wls can be an issue if you like to have a mixed system. Samodular cases provide 3.3A for +/-15V and 10A for 5V - plenty of power for a mixed system. Again - the Buchla USA 24wls is optimized for their own module lineup which is perfectly fine for fully 200e series systems.
A not yet completed list of Buchla modules current draw can be found here:
https://www.samodular.com/buchla-modules-current-draw/

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 am

weedywhizz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

Buchla USA just revised their busboards to have a stable 24wls system now - with 200e series modules. Want to use Studio.h modules ? No luck as far as I know. Its great that Buchla got the lockups fixed but the drawback is - Studio.h modules won't work any more. No clue about Keen's modules though. Never tested them myself. Please note that samodular busboards are constantly being improved wherever possible to make all sorts of modules playing nicely together.

Please also note that the Buchla 24wls is powered by 2A bricks for +15/-15V rails and 6A for the 5V rails. Thats totally fine for the 200e series lineup as they draw more current from the 5V rail. Analog modules like in 200 clone systems or Studio.h modules draw much more current from the +/-15V rails but less from the 5V rail. So the Buchla USA 24wls can be an issue if you like to have a mixed system. Samodular cases provide 3.3A for +/-15V and 10A for 5V - plenty of power for a mixed system. Again - the Buchla USA 24wls is optimized for their own module lineup which is perfectly fine for fully 200e series systems.

Thank you for your informative reply.
I am planning on expanding my LEM4 system into a 12U case at minimum (and an 18U at the maximum) so looking at all available cases currently.
Looks like I either stay 100% Buchla with only their modules, case and power or I go off-piste with a 3rd party option case and hope that when adding Keen modules (and others..) in the future that everything works well together.
The space you occupy determines the time you live in.

weedywhizz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weedywhizz » Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 am
weedywhizz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

Thank you for your informative reply.
I am planning on expanding my LEM4 system into a 12U case at minimum (and an 18U at the maximum) so looking at all available cases currently.
Looks like I either stay 100% Buchla with only their modules, case and power or I go off-piste with a 3rd party option case and hope that when adding Keen modules (and others..) in the future that everything works well together.
You're welcome.
Please keep in mind that with a Buchla USA 24wls cases you seem limited to only 200e + a few 200 clones until you run out of power. 3rd party cases are more flexible when it comes to modules from different vendors and in most cases issues can be solved if you add Doug's repeaters. This will not work with Buchla's latest revision afaik. Don't know if their smaller cases come with their latest busboards too. Smaller cases are usually not an issue anyway with modules from different vendors.
Sold a 50U case (5x 10U) not long ago which is definitely too large for a stable 200e system but 3 of Doug's repeaters made the system fully stable :tu:

ArguZ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ArguZ » Thu May 06, 2021 1:33 am

Very good post Steffen, thank you for taking the time to go to the root of the problem.
Do you have any info why the 252e seems to trip up most systems ?
When i still gad my big rack i could either use Dougs OR the 252e, but not both.
It seems that one is of newer design as the rest of the 200e series, and maybe need to run closer to spec..
Lowering the threshold of the e modules instead of keeping up the voltage on the I2C bus sounds a bit like putting in a stronger fuse instead of fixing the reason it blows all the time, no ?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”