Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Recs for First Few Pedals?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gruebleengourd
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Recs for First Few Pedals?

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:45 pm
but - if you like a dry sound...and want to hear it + something lathered ontop....best to go through the fx loop - things like adding space or delay to a sound you like.
Some effects do sound better in a loop, buta strong alternative to an FX loop is to use a DI box, like a countryman, send the clean direct to your recorder and then the amp out through your effects and amp. Then you can always go back and reamp/effect the clean DI to your hearts delight.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 pm

In lieu of the Ct5, which I am a big fan of (and should update the firmware and stop being such a lazy bastard......), I would suggest the following:

https://www.redpandalab.com/products/particle

https://www.redpandalab.com/products/raster

(bet that in a year or two, a second version of the Tensor will be released).

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am

I only started buying pedals a couple months ago, I have 7 total now. Cost: $2560 lol

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:54 pm

If you want to forge really interesting sounds, look into the usual suspects and route them with a parallel mixer such as EHX Tri-Parallel Mixer. Also effects with built in effects loop, such as the EHX Attack Decay. You can get more unusual sounds with this practice.

If you want a no-frills, still proper looper, swoop a MXR Clone Looper and Tap. It's really great, and does not require a lot of real estate. More space for your modulation, drive, delay and reverb units. Which are all way too personal to make recommendations. Even I have three of each, cycling them out on my board depending on what the session calls for.

If you are not planning on being dependent on a particular real amp+speaker tone, I highly recommend the NUX Solid Studio. Get the best Impulse Responses into it, and, it is killer with any preamp or distortion pedal in front of it.

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 am

pat wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:48 pm
To your note about bass and piano, I use a sans-amp all the time when I record bass in my home studio. I was skeptical at first but you can really dial in some great tones for direct recording.
If I may ask, what sans-amp pedal do you use? I’m pulling my Peavey Fury out of retirement for some bass duties and my bass amp is looong gone.

pat
Common Wiggler

Post by pat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Rooter Tooter wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 am
pat wrote:
To your note about bass and piano, I use a sans-amp all the time when I record bass in my home studio. I was skeptical at first but you can really dial in some great tones for direct recording.
If I may ask, what sans-amp pedal do you use? I’m pulling my Peavey Fury out of retirement for some bass duties and my bass amp is looong gone.
I use the tech 21 sansamp programmable bass driver di. I’d recommend checking it out!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 am

pat wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:14 pm
Rooter Tooter wrote:
pat wrote:
I use the tech 21 sansamp programmable bass driver di. I’d recommend checking it out!
Those things have no midrange eq control. And the treble control's voicing is WAY up there (10khz?) in the "clickity clackity fret click" range. You're expected to reduce the bass/treble if you wish to increase midrange presence, and in doing so you have zero choice over the midrange freq center or bandwidth that is brought forward. I've owned three or four of those since 2003, they are fine for "modern" bass tones that are usually mostly all bottom and top with very (very) little midrange character. Tech 21 offers far better devices these days than the Bass Driver DI.
5U SEMI-MODULAR PERFORMANCE SYNTH NORMALIZING PROJECT
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 am

pekbro wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am
I only started buying pedals a couple months ago, I have 7 total now. Cost: $2560 lol
It's a slippery slope, just like modular. Avoid watching That Pedal Show or the JHS channel on YouTube if you want to keep your wallet mostly in your pocket.

pat
Common Wiggler

Post by pat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:45 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 am
pat wrote:
Rooter Tooter wrote:
pat wrote:
Those things have no midrange eq control. And the treble control's voicing is WAY up there (10khz?) in the "clickity clackity fret click" range. You're expected to reduce the bass/treble if you wish to increase midrange presence, and in doing so you have zero choice over the midrange freq center or bandwidth that is brought forward. I've owned three or four of those since 2003, they are fine for "modern" bass tones that are usually mostly all bottom and top with very (very) little midrange character. Tech 21 offers far better devices these days than the Bass Driver DI.
I agree that the eq setup was a weird choice. Never bothered me much though. What do you recommend for bass di/amp simulator/drive pedals? Maybe it’s time for an upgrade… :)

Edit: repeated some stuff you already said

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:47 am

pat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:45 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 am
pat wrote:
Rooter Tooter wrote:
pat wrote:
I agree that the eq setup was a weird choice. Never bothered me much though. What do you recommend for bass di/amp simulator/drive pedals? Maybe it’s time for an upgrade… :)

Edit: repeated some stuff you already said
Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean to hijack, there are just so many Tech 21 pedals it’s kind of hard to get a grip on what’s what.

In response to the original poster; I really like the Empress Compressor MKII. Musket Fuzz is great but I’m sure a Hoof would fit in just fine. I find I’m of the Muff school but others are of the Crazy Horse or Rat school. All personal taste and you can go to different schools. F*ck the Principals AND the rules, man! We’re playing guitar!

Delays and such come and go but I find I miss (and tend to keep) the good tone sculptors. Shallow Water and the latest (last?) version of Generation Loss are both keepers. The looper in the Eventide Timefactor is great but I’ve had better results in the looping department with modules like the Dual Looping Delay and the Mimeophon. I’m sure if you really got down and dirty with a Blooper you could be happy for days. Some real brain power behind that one (I’ve personally never used it.) All Strymon delays are not created equal and this prognosticator thinks the Volante is one special pedal.

It’s so hard to know what works for you without trying stuff out. Certain specific boxes pair better with other specific boxes and there is no science to it, you know? A non-guitar related example; eurorack into Oto Bim? Gain-stage PITA. Prophet 6 into Oto Bim? Hours of delight.

Now I’m going to go fantasize about getting down and dirty with a Blooper. No peeking!

PrimateSynthesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PrimateSynthesis » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:13 pm

imrae wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:46 am
As a general rule of thumb, scooped/full-range dirt complements mids-focused amps (e.g. BD2, DS1 into Vox, Marshall), while mid-focused dirt complements bass-heavy or scooped amps (e.g. tubescreamer into Fender or 5150).
Good point :tu:

The same could be said for the two types of fuzz pedals — Big Muff (scooped) and Fuzzface (bandpassed).

(I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday. My apologies if the mods removed it for some unknown reason.)
FS: Rare Morley Rotating Wah Oil Can Delay!

Since the forum has gone back to being 100% community funded, I've decided to donate half the proceeds from the Morley Rotating Wah this thread is supposedly selling :miley:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=131332

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:39 pm

s.l.o.w wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 am
pekbro wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am
It's a slippery slope, just like modular. Avoid watching That Pedal Show or the JHS channel on YouTube if you want to keep your wallet mostly in your pocket.
Heh too late, that was a couple weeks ago, 12 pedals now. Thanks for the warning tho. :tu:
It's alright, my interest in purchasing eurorack is not severe lately.

gruebleengourd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:40 pm

my current favorites are the maxon OD-820, black spiral fuzz (or DOD carcossa for less), the mutron biphase reissue and dod rubberneck.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:20 am

Seconded on the Carcosa fuzz. Versatile and good with guitar, synth and drum machine.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

mandarinpile
Common Wiggler

Post by mandarinpile » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Alaska wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 pm
As far as order goes (fx then loop or loop then fx, I don't have the slightest clue atm).
If the fx are fundamental to the part that you are laying down on the looper, then guitar>fx>looper. If the fx are more like the master ambience for all parts recorded on the looper, then guitar>looper>fx.

A typical setup would be:
Guitar > fx1 (gain, tone, pitch, modulation, delay) > looper > fx2 (master eq, master reverb) > clean amp

But if you are changing the reverb for each part (with the help of presets or manually) and it is essential for each part, the reverb would go before the looper. But as others have said, there are no rules, it depends on what sound you are chasing. Stick a pitch shifter and modulation after looper and reverbs and have fun :spin:

One of the greatest things about fx boxes vs multi-fx is the ability to mix up the signal chain. Many times the conventional wisdom about pedal placement just doesn't work.

If you will be using your pedals at home/studio only then the best advice I can give is: do not fix your pedals down on a pedalboard. There is so much to be extracted from experimenting with pedal order. Building a solid pedalboard ruins it. But if you must have a portable pedalboard and still want to experiment with pedal order, then you can get a patchbay that can be integrated on a pedalboard and will allow you to change the signal path.
Patchulator by Boredbrain or
Matrix Mixer by Erica Synths (you will need to use 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm jack adapters in your pedal inputs/outputs)
Or you can build a custom board with a cheap passive studio patchbay, like I and others have done: viewtopic.php?t=242971

As for loopers, check out Soma Labs cosmos looper with the rhythmic firmware version. Great looper that can do both classic looping and experimental stuff. Aslo great prixe for whqt it does, imho

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”