Chase Bliss & Meris CXM1978 reverb (Lexicon 224 LARC-like pedal)

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Re: Chase Bliss & Meris CXM1978 reverb (Lexicon 224 LARC-like pedal)

Post by mkdvb » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 pm

dkcg wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm
Jee wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am
I still wonder if it's worth the money :lol:
I really like chase Bliss Pedals, but at the price, I think I would get a H9-Max before I got this.
$499 and it would be more on my radar, but all his pedals are up there in price. Makes it hard to say.

I think potential buyers should think about if they're buying flying faders or the reverb of their dreams, or maybe both. If it had the standard housing with the familiar 6 knobs, would they "need" it as much.
I will say I've owned an Eventide Eclipse & a H8000FW and for reverb, the CXM 1978 floats my boat way more than those big Eventides ever did. Reverb-wise, it smokes anything I ever called up on the Eclipse and the H8000FW had one preset that sounded AMAZING for one synth patch but didn't work on everything and tweaking it to fit made my head spin Exorcist style.

For anyone still interested, I'm doing a deep-dive shootout between the CXM and the UAFX Golden. Part 1 below:

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm

I don't have either pedal myself, but from your video...

The sound quality of the UAFX is much closer to the 224 than the CXM. The crusty-ness is spot on. The 1978 lofi mode sounds cool, but not especially accurate. Conversely, the experience and wealth of parameters on the 1978 makes it more LARC-like. Actually the CXM appears to be about 10x as robust as an actual LARC which is about as sturdy as a 40 year old tupperware.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:20 pm

maxl0rd wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm
I don't have either pedal myself, but from your video...

The sound quality of the UAFX is much closer to the 224 than the CXM. The crusty-ness is spot on. The 1978 lofi mode sounds cool, but not especially accurate. Conversely, the experience and wealth of parameters on the 1978 makes it more LARC-like. Actually the CXM appears to be about 10x as robust as an actual LARC which is about as sturdy as a 40 year old tupperware.
I've not heard a 224 IRL but I don't doubt it. During my shoot-out, I always have way more fun dialing in a sound on the CXM and think, "well that's it" & then when I flip back to the UAFX, it often sounds slightly warmer yet also cleaner at the same time. Like a Tycho mix where they make it sound extremely vintage yet bright AF as well in a way you don't notice until it's compared to something else.

I didn't know the lofi mode was supposed to emulate anything as it's really a delay while the hifi mode is more modern ... AFAIK, only the standard mode is a true attempt at emulation.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Re: CXM 1978 vs UAFX Golden shootout part 2

Post by mkdvb » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm

Part 2 of my deep-dive shoot-out vids between the CXM 1978 & UAFX Golden. I tagged in the Boss RV-500 in this one for the spring comparisons as well. I'm hoping to wrap the series at 4 parts because I'd like to do other things but it was a pretty deep dive~!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”