Lumex LEDs and panel thickness

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

waldenpotato
Wiggling with Experience

Lumex LEDs and panel thickness

Post by waldenpotato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:44 am

The suggested MOTM LEDs are from Lumex. An example part number is SSI-LXH387ID.

I recently made a panel with a 3mm thickness. The LEDs fit but don't seem as secure as I would have expected. I read that the MOTM panel standard is 3.2mm, so a 3mm panel should be good.

Should the LEDs be able to be pushed out of the panel easily, which is happening in my case? Or are they meant to be "somewhat" secure unless you intentionally push them from the back of the panel?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Lumex LEDs and panel thickness

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:55 am

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/244/ ... 136685.pdf

reading the datasheet here. the panel must be less than 3.78mm in thickness including paint. recommended drill hole is 5/16 after paint or powder coating. the most important dimension, the body diameter is not given. use cyanoacrylate or hot melt glue to secure it in place.

VCC LED lens for 5mm LED has an optional ring that secures it from the back. you could maybe retrofit it to VCC Fresnel lens?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

waldenpotato
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Lumex LEDs and panel thickness

Post by waldenpotato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:12 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:55 am
VCC LED lens for 5mm LED has an optional ring that secures it from the back. you could maybe retrofit it to VCC Fresnel lens?
I think I like this idea. The Lumex LEDs were appealing because they are just one piece. But maybe a regular leg with a lens and optional ring might work really well.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”